Earth pet "root bug" fixed?

Brian Andersen

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
Hello:

I noticed when I played the other night that it seems the Magician's
earth pet "root bug" has been fixed. Has anyone else noticed? I only
ask because there was nothing in the patch message (go figure, a
change to the game not in the patch message <grin>)

Brian

Sabeo

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
I thought earth pets casted earth quake? I normally use a Water is my Elem.
of choice but if this is the case I think I will change :)
Brian Andersen wrote in message
<2375C0C50C1BBCEF.0A0A738B...@lp.airnews.net>...

Cen45

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
Not as of yesterday...I used earth pet after patch and I was still hit
from a good distance away when the mob was rooted.

Brian Andersen <br...@knology.net.spamtrapper> wrote in message

Mirrorshde

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
No it is not fixed. I am on Test and was using an earth with Aviak guards. I
backed up to the point I was out of range for my daggers and started taking
hits like crazy. My partner had to start unleashing all his burn spells to get
it off me when it wasn't even on me at all. Sigh. Guess Water shall continue to
be the only pet I summon.

Brian Andersen

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:54:04 -0800, "Cen45" <ce...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Not as of yesterday...I used earth pet after patch and I was still hit
>from a good distance away when the mob was rooted.

Which level pet is this a problem with? I was not having any problems
with the level 4 Earth pet.

Hey! Give me a break, I just started my magician. =)

Brian

Ron Cole

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
>I thought earth pets casted earth quake? I normally use a Water is my Elem.
>of choice but if this is the case I think I will change :)

No, a week or 2 ago it started casting root instead. Kinda funny seeing
the flying creatures feet "sinking into the ground".

Sabeo

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
Great thx for the info

Remus Shepherd

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
Brian Andersen <br...@knology.net.spamtrapper> wrote:
>>Not as of yesterday...I used earth pet after patch and I was still hit
>>from a good distance away when the mob was rooted.

> Which level pet is this a problem with? I was not having any problems
> with the level 4 Earth pet.

It's happening with the 24th level earth pet, I can testify. It'll
probably happen with your 4th level pet too, if your pet happens to root
a creature that hates you more than it does your pet.

This is only a problem when soloing, though. Monsters will always go
after a player (you) in preference to your pet, and the root bug makes the
monster 'not know' that it can't reach you, so it hits you anyway. But if
you're in a party with a tank player, the monster will go after that tank
rather than you when it's rooted. The earth pet is pretty nice, now, in
a party, as a way to stop runners.

... ...
Remus Shepherd (re...@netcom.com)

Ron Cole

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
> It's happening with the 24th level earth pet, I can testify. It'll
>probably happen with your 4th level pet too, if your pet happens to root
>a creature that hates you more than it does your pet.
>
> This is only a problem when soloing, though. Monsters will always go
>after a player (you) in preference to your pet, and the root bug makes the
>monster 'not know' that it can't reach you, so it hits you anyway. But if
>you're in a party with a tank player, the monster will go after that tank
>rather than you when it's rooted. The earth pet is pretty nice, now, in
>a party, as a way to stop runners.

It doesn't happen with the level 8 pet. Maybe you aren't backing up far
enough, the mobs seem to have an extended melee range to make up for being
stupid. With my earth pet tanking and rooting, I can back up far enough to
burn it down once rooted, without being hit or interrupted.

mida...@my-deja.com

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
In article
<2375C0C50C1BBCEF.0A0A738B...@lp.airnews.net>,

br...@knology.net.spamtrapper wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I noticed when I played the other night that it seems the Magician's
> earth pet "root bug" has been fixed. Has anyone else noticed? I only
> ask because there was nothing in the patch message (go figure, a
> change to the game not in the patch message <grin>)
>
> Brian

I've seen this same bug with my necromancer when I root a creature while
its fighting my pet. I'll get whacked a couple times by the rooted MoB
when I'm damned far away.

I think it occurs because the client and server get out of sync
regarding the MoB's position. Your client thinks the MoB is next to
your pet, the server thinks it is next to you.

Usually I back up a bit and the beating stops. A few hard slaps don't
bother a necromancer as much as they would a magician, of course.

I think magicians have just started to see this because their earth pet
just got Root. A big problem is that the pet casts root instead of you,
adding another uncertainty to when the spell goes off.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sterling

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99

Yes, and so can all other magicians *usually*. It is random. I have gone
entire nights without ever taking a hit because of this bug and as well I
have died 3 times in one day because of this bug. It happened with a level
8 pet that I saw. It happened with my 12 and 16 pets. I don't think the
pet's level has anything to do with it. (It may be that the mob has to be a
high enough level to be able to pull away from the pet a little bit that
sets off the bug).

Sterling
Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

kyl...@my-deja.com

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
I like your theory! I have used Earth Elemental exclusively since
level 16 and I've found that I tend to survive much easier. I've also
noticed that I sometimes get whacked by a critter that is some distance
away, but it seems like I've noticed that with other pets at well.
So maybe it's not a bug with the root spell, but a client/server sync
problem that's made more obvious by the root spell...
Good theory Midasear!

In article <8075hh$ce8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Derriz

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Umm..I was in cauldron and some magi had an earth pet out beating on a gob.
Things went wrong and somehow this guys critter was beating on me even when
I was out of range to cast on it. I gated across the whole zone and the
thing was still hitting me. It's bugged...