Intelligence and experience?

WhsprdFear

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
I heard somewhere that the higher intelligence you have, the less experience
you receive. Now since I have an Erudite wizard with an extremely high
intelligence, I think this is incredibly unfair. Erudites' talents remain
almost completely on intelligence, and we're not exactly strong at other
points, so the only advantage I have is, in part, a disadvantage. Is it just
me, or does anyone else think this is unfair?
Fear of the Whispers

ClayPigeon

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Intelligence is not a factor in gaining experience. Whoever told you that is
full of it. High intelligence will NOT make you earn levels slower.

CP

WhsprdFear wrote in message
<19990616021620...@ng-co1.aol.com>...

James R. Gupta

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

High intelligence will make your skills go up faster... mainly because you
learn faster...

Laeorn

WhsprdFear <whspr...@aol.com> wrote in message

George

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
its not Int that makes you level slower, its being an Erudite. Erudites have
a 20 or 25 % XP penalty. Why? because your vision and starting location was
too much of an advantage they had to do something about it. Hehe seriously
tho all that int gives you a huge advantage.

btw if u pick anything other than a mage type as an erdudite you are either
crazy, stupid, or like a challenge ;) Oh and if you pick male there is
something wrong with you because erudite males are about the ugliest things
in the game next to ogre and troll females :P

UG

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
"George" <gl...@nwlink.com> writes:

> its not Int that makes you level slower, its being an Erudite. Erudites have
> a 20 or 25 % XP penalty. Why? because your vision and starting location was
> too much of an advantage they had to do something about it. Hehe seriously
> tho all that int gives you a huge advantage.

Vision? They are blind as humans.

CPoppinDad

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

Not to mention that we have probably the worst starting zone in the game. Just
take a visit sometime, you'll be amazed. I think they're screwing over the
Erudites because they're black, racist bastards.

Remus Shepherd

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
CPoppinDad <cpopp...@aol.comfatcow> wrote:
>>> its not Int that makes you level slower, its being an Erudite. Erudites
>>have
>>> a 20 or 25 % XP penalty. Why? because your vision and starting location was
>>> too much of an advantage they had to do something about it. Hehe seriously
>>> tho all that int gives you a huge advantage.

For those that missed it, that 'Hehe' indicates sarcasm was used in the
previous sentence. ;)

>>Vision? They are blind as humans.
>
> Not to mention that we have probably the worst starting zone in the game. Just
> take a visit sometime, you'll be amazed. I think they're screwing over the
> Erudites because they're black, racist bastards.

Now, now, behave. :)

Actually, Toxulia Forest isn't bad, as newbie zones go. There are mobs
there to challenge you up to 7th or 8th level, and few insta-kill critters.
The loot is better than most newbies zones, as many of the creatures are
humanoids that may carry weapons, armor, or coins. The biggest problem
with it is that it's so friggin' hard to navigate in, and dark as pitch.
But you'll find that Toxulia is good training. With my cleric, I can
track almost as well as a ranger because I watch for tiny specks in my
vision and I know how to use the targetting keys.

The worst starting zone I've ever seen? Greater Feydark, only because
it's completely overcrowded. :p After that I'd have to choose Nektulos,
which is truly a high-risk, low-gain area.

.... ...
Remus Shepherd (re...@netcom.com)

Nancy Durgin

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
In article <7k90l5$b...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>,
Remus Shepherd <re...@netcom.com> wrote:
>[ Various comments about Erudites and Toxx zone deleted ]

> Actually, Toxulia Forest isn't bad, as newbie zones go. There are mobs
>there to challenge you up to 7th or 8th level, and few insta-kill critters.
>The loot is better than most newbies zones, as many of the creatures are
>humanoids that may carry weapons, armor, or coins. The biggest problem
>with it is that it's so friggin' hard to navigate in, and dark as pitch.
>But you'll find that Toxulia is good training. With my cleric, I can
>track almost as well as a ranger because I watch for tiny specks in my
>vision and I know how to use the targetting keys.

Okay, I started an Erudite Enchanter recently, got her to 3rd level,
and just about went crazy trying to make it to 4th. I could deal with
the darkness, and I learned to navigate the zone. My problem? NO
MONSTERS TO KILL!

I swear, I wandered around for 15 minutes real time and saw nothing to
kill!

Then out of sheer boredom I went over the bridge to the "harder newbie
zone", figuring at least I'd run into something that would kill me. I
wandered around for a while, got a little bit lost, found my way back
to the bridge, and NEVER SAW A SINGLE LIVING THING!!

Now, obviously I found *some* monsters (I found some during this
session, just not many, with huge gaps between them), since I made it
to level 3. The only thing I can figure is that the spawn rate is
related to how many people are in the zone, and since there were no
more than a dozen people on that zone at this time, there were simply
very few monsters spawned?

Would this qualify as a bug? It was pretty much unplayable as it was.
(This was on the Bristlebane server, playing evenings to late night on
the west coast, specifically last Sunday night). Should I file a /bug
on this?

In any case, if somebody was just trying Everquest for the first time
and made the mistake of trying an Erudite, they would certainly quit
in disgust. It is dark, so if I hadn't been already experienced with
Everquest and expecting the darkness, that in itself would put me off
the game. But the lack of monsters to kill? What's up with that?

> The worst starting zone I've ever seen? Greater Feydark, only because
>it's completely overcrowded. :p After that I'd have to choose Nektulos,
>which is truly a high-risk, low-gain area.

I switched to a High-Elf Enchanter, and got her to the same level
(actually, now she is 5th, well on the way to 6th) with
much less tedium. Greater Faydark is overcrowded, but at least the
newbie areas actually have monsters in them. Once I got to 4th level
I headed to ButcherBlock, which is wide open, easy to navigate, and
has mobs suitable for 4-12 or so (in the end near Faydark). There are
some instakills (if you're low level, Qued will certainly squish you),
but not too bad.

But I wanted to try an Erudite for variety (I've already played some
other races and classes and seen several of the other newbie zones),
and it's just not worth it!!

Another thing I noticed -- when you kill orcs, goblins, gnolls,
etc. in other areas of the game, you get a blast of faction
adjustments, some positive, some negative, perhaps 5 different
adjustments. In Tox, when you kill Kobolds, it says "Faction with
Kobolds decreases". That's it. I think in addition to leaving the
monsters out of Tox, they've left out any kind of politics, plot,
whatever. Seems unfinished.

Nancy

Stefan Raets

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
On 16 Jun 1999 19:17:15 GMT, cpopp...@aol.comFATCOW (CPoppinDad)
wrote:

>>> its not Int that makes you level slower, its being an Erudite. Erudites
>>have
>>> a 20 or 25 % XP penalty. Why? because your vision and starting location was
>>> too much of an advantage they had to do something about it. Hehe seriously
>>> tho all that int gives you a huge advantage.
>>

>>Vision? They are blind as humans.
>>

>Not to mention that we have probably the worst starting zone in the game. Just
>take a visit sometime, you'll be amazed. I think they're screwing over the
>Erudites because they're black, racist bastards.

Oh no, not that discussion again...

Aznyin
Level 18 Erudite Wizard in exile.
Chivalric Order of Norrath
Current residence: Queynos [Solusek Ro]

Stefan Raets

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
On 17 Jun 1999 00:51:21 GMT, n...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Nancy Durgin)
wrote:

>Okay, I started an Erudite Enchanter recently, got her to 3rd level,
>and just about went crazy trying to make it to 4th. I could deal with
>the darkness, and I learned to navigate the zone. My problem? NO
>MONSTERS TO KILL!

Yep, Toxxulia Forest probably ranks as the worst newbie zone out
there. My advice to people starting a new Erudite character is
jumping on the boat to Queynos straight away and play there for the
first 10 levels or so. I only return to Erudin to buy spells (which
are a lot cheaper there for me). Apart from that, there's not much
happening there.

Crisper Than Thou

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Nancy Durgin <n...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>But I wanted to try an Erudite for variety (I've already played some
>other races and classes and seen several of the other newbie zones),
>and it's just not worth it!!

Get the heck off the island and over to Qeynos.

It's pretty clear that some zones are far far better than others, especially
for the newbies. I am absolutely in *love* with Everfrost, for starting
barbarians-- I started up Tandy and she basically walked 100 feet from
the mouth of Halas cave, to the first split in the canyon... and was
immediately embroiled in a massive five-monster-three-PC fight that left
her bruised, battered... and two bubbles towards second level, before she'd
even had a chance to look around. I cast a little heal on myself... and
good thing, too, because within seconds I and another PC were jumped again
by a trio of goblin whelps. We triumphed again, and retreated quickly
towards the mouth of Halas because more wolves and gnoll pups were already
eyeing us... Tandy made level 2 within, I think, 15 minutes of leaving
Halas for the first time, and continues to level up at a stunning rate--
when she was getting towards the high end of level 5 I tried to really scale
back her fights because I wanted to practice the run-and-jump into BB a
few more times before it would start costing me XP. No go... she pretty
much picks up a noticeable fraction of a bubble just wading through critters
to get across the zone.

It'll slow down soon, I'm sure, and then I'll head into BB and Qeynos, but as
far as a place to start a character and make a quick run for 6th level--
Barbarians is *it*, my friend.

--The Elder Dan
Tandy on Solusek Ro

--
MY disgruntled postal worker can beat up YOUR disgruntled postal worker.

D. Curtis Johnson cri...@armory.com

Jim Williams

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Erudites are not black, racist bastards. 8c)