Attn: Brad, Please read these 2 Ranger questions from a confused Ranger

Joe

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Question 1: In your Enhancements versus Nerfs list, you said that
the Ebony Blade has been made "group friendly". Why then did a 40th
level Ranger, a 42nd level Ranger, and a 45th level Ranger tell me in
all seriousness that they refuse to group with a Ranger that is using
them? I am currently 35 and was looking foward to getting a pair.
Even though people have been saying it is broken for over 3 months, I
was confident you would fix the problem, but it seems that you don't
think it is a problem? Can you explain how it is group friendly? And
why they are incorrect? Really confused on this, is it even worth
getting? Everyone accuses it of making trains.

Question 2: (with small anecdote) NPC artificial intelligence? I
recently went to Kithicor woods to do a Ranger armor quest. Carefully
sneaking past the undead, I reached the Ranger camp at noon according
to /time (broad daylight) Standing right in front of the door to
Gandari's hut was one of the new undead that I couldn't kill on a bet.
While trying to figure out what to do, another undead wandered into
the camp behind me and attacked me. And the Rangers did nothing.
NOTHING. I have great faction with them and have never done a thing
to anger them. Yet not only do they let an undead stand right in the
middle of their camp, they let a guild member in good standing get
slaughtered. You can make a Decaying Skeleton fight a Gnoll pup, so
why not a Ranger NPC who will save a Ranger? Heck, Holly Windstalker
would have killed them. She has saved me from a NPC Necromancer
outside of Blackburrow one night. Can't you just cut and paste her
AI?

-Joe

p.s. Bonus Question: Why does the Ebony Blade have a regular "steel
color" blade, when the Dark Reaver has a black one?

Adar

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Joe <Somewhe...@lonesome.com> wrote in message

> Question 1: In your Enhancements versus Nerfs list, you said that
> the Ebony Blade has been made "group friendly". Why then did a 40th
> level Ranger, a 42nd level Ranger, and a 45th level Ranger tell me in
> all seriousness that they refuse to group with a Ranger that is using
> them? I am currently 35 and was looking foward to getting a pair.
> Even though people have been saying it is broken for over 3 months, I
> was confident you would fix the problem, but it seems that you don't
> think it is a problem? Can you explain how it is group friendly? And
> why they are incorrect? Really confused on this, is it even worth
> getting? Everyone accuses it of making trains.

Originally, the blade's proc (grasping roots? I forget...some movement
thing) was easily breakable- but you couldn't cast ANY movement spell (like
snare) on the NPC until the proc's full duration had elapsed. These days,
that bug is fixed, which is what Brad is referring to- but the thing still
overrides snare, and it's still incredibly easily breakable. Draw your own
conclusions.

> Question 2: (with small anecdote) NPC artificial intelligence? I
> recently went to Kithicor woods to do a Ranger armor quest. Carefully
> sneaking past the undead, I reached the Ranger camp at noon according
> to /time (broad daylight) Standing right in front of the door to
> Gandari's hut was one of the new undead that I couldn't kill on a bet.
> While trying to figure out what to do, another undead wandered into
> the camp behind me and attacked me. And the Rangers did nothing.
> NOTHING. I have great faction with them and have never done a thing
> to anger them. Yet not only do they let an undead stand right in the
> middle of their camp, they let a guild member in good standing get
> slaughtered. You can make a Decaying Skeleton fight a Gnoll pup, so
> why not a Ranger NPC who will save a Ranger? Heck, Holly Windstalker
> would have killed them. She has saved me from a NPC Necromancer
> outside of Blackburrow one night. Can't you just cut and paste her
> AI?

They can't, for one reason: the rangers would get slaughtered constantly if
they did. Making them ignore the undead is a hack job, but if they'd
attacked them, the number of undead wandering through Kith would pretty much
make sure you'd never see any of them again.

> p.s. Bonus Question: Why does the Ebony Blade have a regular "steel
> color" blade, when the Dark Reaver has a black one?

Brudo (E'ci)
Loredaeron (E'ci)

Martin Roberts

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
If that is so then weaken the undead and balance the game in this area or
strengthen the rangers. Are these guys looking for difficulty, playablity
or balance. If the former, come on admit it and stop the pious preaching
about nerfing for balance and tell the truth you want the came to be
difficult. The problem is that every time you raise the level of difficulty
players find a way around it and your egos get bruised, you call it an
exploit and create another nerf which in a complex piece of programming such
as this always has unexpected results. Why not just fix the bugs correct
the glaring exploits when they occur and let players enjoy the game as it
is.
Adar <ad...@spamaway.mindspring.com> wrote in message

Lwalgee

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
YES

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:53:41 -0500, "Adar" <ad...@spamaway.mindspring.com>
wrote:

|Originally, the blade's proc (grasping roots? I forget...some movement
|thing) was easily breakable- but you couldn't cast ANY movement spell (like
|snare) on the NPC until the proc's full duration had elapsed. These days,
|that bug is fixed, which is what Brad is referring to- but the thing still
|overrides snare, and it's still incredibly easily breakable. Draw your own
|conclusions.

Actually, ORIGINALLY Snare and Root line spells did not interact. You
could Snare a mob, Root it, and when Root wore off or broke it would still be
Snared. That changed so that Root line superceded Snare line, BUT (as usual)
it was borked, in that the Root spell was considered to be in effect for its
full duration whether or not the creature broke free. That made the Ebony
Blade into the Train Conductor: it would proc, the mob would break free
(usually instantly), and then you couldn't Snare the damn thing. Then, you
all died. Now, you can re-Snare as soon as Root breaks, but a lot of folks
want it to go back to Ye Olden Days, which quite frankly is asking too much.

|They can't, for one reason: the rangers would get slaughtered constantly if
|they did. Making them ignore the undead is a hack job, but if they'd
|attacked them, the number of undead wandering through Kith would pretty much
|make sure you'd never see any of them again.

Oh, I'm sure that a little (muahahhahaaha) stat adjustment could fix
that...of course, so would TAKING THE FUCKING UNDEAD OUT....

|> p.s. Bonus Question: Why does the Ebony Blade have a regular "steel
|> color" blade, when the Dark Reaver has a black one?

Because only the two-handed sword graphic currently has special forms
(black and flaming). Unknown as to whether or not this will/can be changed
via Optional Patch.

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"I guess my work 'round here has all been done."
-- The Devil, "The Garden of Allah", Don Henley

Elly

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Do you ever notice vendors dancing on the roofs of their huts or others
that are slightly out of their normal business location, but which
refuse to interact with you? If these rangers attacked the undead,
they would quickly wander off chasing something and you would never be
able to train or complete any quests given by them. Believe me, it is
much better to have them ignore everthing than be out of business from
15 minutes after a server reboot until the following server reboot. Of
course, you could ask why they don't fix this underlying problem...

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
On Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:17:16 -0800, Elly (Innoruk)
<mturner...@wpo.it.luc.edu.invalid> wrote:

|Do you ever notice vendors dancing on the roofs of their huts or others
|that are slightly out of their normal business location, but which
|refuse to interact with you? If these rangers attacked the undead,
|they would quickly wander off chasing something and you would never be
|able to train or complete any quests given by them.

They already wander off to attack things; then they return to their
original posts. I'm told they also function when away from their posts,
though I've never tried it.

Adar

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Dennis Francis Heffernan <dfra...@email.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the info; actually, I think this goes in with the 'only one
movement spell can be in effect at one time' nerf/enhancement (sometimes
that does help) a while back.

> |They can't, for one reason: the rangers would get slaughtered constantly
if
> |they did. Making them ignore the undead is a hack job, but if they'd
> |attacked them, the number of undead wandering through Kith would pretty
much
> |make sure you'd never see any of them again.
>
> Oh, I'm sure that a little (muahahhahaaha) stat adjustment could fix
> that...of course, so would TAKING THE FUCKING UNDEAD OUT....

Without going back to the undead debate, there are currently enough of them
in Kith so that making the rangers invincible L55's would accomplish one
thing and one thing only: GuildmasterWatch. If you think camping in the
middle of the undead-infested woods for eight hours waiting for a bag to
appear on a stump is bad, think of having to *wander through* those woods
looking for your guildmaster, wherever he might be...

> |> p.s. Bonus Question: Why does the Ebony Blade have a regular "steel
> |> color" blade, when the Dark Reaver has a black one?
>
> Because only the two-handed sword graphic currently has special forms
> (black and flaming). Unknown as to whether or not this will/can be
changed
> via Optional Patch.

Probably along the barbarian shield line; if the 2h sword graphic thing is
true, we should see it on the expansion CD but not before then.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:29:58 -0500, "Adar" <ad...@spamaway.mindspring.com>
wrote:

|Without going back to the undead debate, there are currently enough of them
|in Kith so that making the rangers invincible L55's would accomplish one
|thing and one thing only: GuildmasterWatch. If you think camping in the
|middle of the undead-infested woods for eight hours waiting for a bag to
|appear on a stump is bad, think of having to *wander through* those woods
|looking for your guildmaster, wherever he might be...

Just a reminder...WHOSE Guildmasters are these? ;-)

|Probably along the barbarian shield line; if the 2h sword graphic thing is
|true, we should see it on the expansion CD but not before then.

The Barbarian shield problem is different; they'd have to change the file
with the 3D model of the Barbarian, which is a beast. Putting in a new black
sword graphic for 1HS swords should be no bigger a deal than putting in the
parang model for SSoM/Ykesha or the new axe graphics.

Morgan

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:17:16 -0800, Elly (Innoruk)
> <mturner...@wpo.it.luc.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
> |Do you ever notice vendors dancing on the roofs of their huts or others
> |that are slightly out of their normal business location, but which
> |refuse to interact with you? If these rangers attacked the undead,
> |they would quickly wander off chasing something and you would never be
> |able to train or complete any quests given by them.
>
> They already wander off to attack things; then they return to their
> original posts. I'm told they also function when away from their posts,
> though I've never tried it.

Yes, they do. Kinool Goldsinger, the Enchanter guildmaster in Felwithe
can sometimes be found dancing on the candelabra in the teleport building.
I have gotten training from him when he was doing that, although he kept
moving away and breaking the session.

--
Morgan
Xymarra, High Elf Enchanter on E'Ci