Patch Comments/Questions

Jeff K.

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Has anyone tried /follow yet? Just curious if it's actually useful or if it
sends you careening into trees. I never used the follow command in UO
because it usually ended up being a death sentence if you got attacked by a
nasty monster.

/pet report health works great, for what it is. It gives your pet's
remaining health as a percentage. I was hoping (but not expecting <G>) to
get an actualy hit point number so we could use it as an immediate gauge of
how strong a pet was summoned, but no such luck. :) It also doesn't report
which buffs are still active, which is disappointing. I'm getting tired of
having to guess when my pet's Shield of Fire runs out.

I'd much rather have a small pet display showing my pets health & buffs so I
wouldn't have to click on my new "PHealt" button and scan for his report in
the middle of a fight. At least the blue text is easier to read now with the
"Full Screen Transparent Polygons OFF".

An interesting, and undocumented, effect of the patch is that my pet is
*finally* casting spells! I saw nary a spell from any of my pets until this
morning. I was so surprised that my first thought when I saw the spell
effects was "Oh, crap! What new ability did they give the drakes!?" <G> My
L12 earth elemental casts a spell that gives the report "A [insert mob here]
stumbles as the ground shakes" throughout the combat. It uses the same spell
graphics as root. I have no idea what spell it is, but I'm guessing it
briefly stuns the critter. Whatever it does it seems to have some effect. My
pet takes noticeably less damage during fights now, presumably because the
critters aren't getting quite as many attacks in with the frequent stuns. If
anyone knows what spell this is I'd be grateful for any info you could
provide.

The reduced cost for spell fizzles is great, especially since my magician
still has poor Alteration skills and it usually takes a few attempts for
Bind to work. One full mana bar is usually enough to get a successful bind
in now, which was definitely not the case before the patch.

Overall, my magician is pleased. :)

Jeff K.
Nystramo on Cazic-Thule

Desdinova

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
"Jeff K." <jk...@earthlink.net> sez:

>An interesting, and undocumented, effect of the patch is that my pet is
>*finally* casting spells!

<Cartman>
Kick ass!
</Cartman>

>I saw nary a spell from any of my pets until this
>morning. I was so surprised that my first thought when I saw the spell
>effects was "Oh, crap! What new ability did they give the drakes!?" <G> My
>L12 earth elemental casts a spell that gives the report "A [insert mob here]
>stumbles as the ground shakes" throughout the combat. It uses the same spell
>graphics as root. I have no idea what spell it is, but I'm guessing it
>briefly stuns the critter. Whatever it does it seems to have some effect. My
>pet takes noticeably less damage during fights now, presumably because the
>critters aren't getting quite as many attacks in with the frequent stuns. If
>anyone knows what spell this is I'd be grateful for any info you could
>provide.

Don't the druids get an "earthquake" type spell? Maybe this
is a minor variant of it.

>The reduced cost for spell fizzles is great, especially since my magician
>still has poor Alteration skills and it usually takes a few attempts for
>Bind to work. One full mana bar is usually enough to get a successful bind
>in now, which was definitely not the case before the patch.

I know that feeling. If a Magician is lucky, his/her skill in
Alteration will be around 15 when he/she finally gets Bind Affinity.
My record for bind fizzles is 13 in a row... Thank Quellios for
Burnout... :)

>Overall, my magician is pleased. :)

I suspect mine will be too. Thanks for the update.

Desdinova
Humble Erudite Conjurer of the 4th Circle
Innoruuk

Charles B. Naumann

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Jeff K. <jk...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: I'd much rather have a small pet display showing my pets health & buffs so I

: wouldn't have to click on my new "PHealt" button and scan for his report in
: the middle of a fight.

What? Maybe a pop-up resizabe non-modal dialog box? You MUST be dreaming!
What do you think this is, a windows operating system or something???
This is not a jab at verant, I fully understand the limitaions of the
3D APIs that were available when EQ was deisgned. I suppose a complete
do-over of the client is out of the question, but I would gladly pay
$50 for a completely overhauled client!!

Charles Naumann

Nova Solo

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
The patch in which I'm the most disappointed is the one that corrects armor
color for us AMD users. I have a friend with a 19th level Troll warrior who
WAS in all-blue banded mail, even a little blue helm with little blue horns.

He looked like Bat Mite. (Anyone remember Bat Mite?) It was impossible to
see him without erupting into gales of laughter.

Bummer. No more Grommel BatMite.

--
Nova Solo

"There was something a little frightening about a man who knew he was not a
nice person and didn't give a damn. It went against everything America holds
dear. We are taught above all else to be nice, to be liked, to be popular.
A person who has set aside all that is a maverick and a potentially
dangerous human being."
-- Laurell K. Hamilton, "Guilty Pleasures"

David Schrank

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Cool i'll have to try my 16th level one again. I tried him after the last patch
and get a 'so what' feeling. I think after playing a shaman up to 13 it will be
hard though to go back. Also I have died and lost so many levels that my health
probably is like 50-90 less than it should be assuming how they handle the level
loss stuff is true. I think I lost level 14 like 6 times. level 8 twice and
level 15 once. Magicians + multiple enemies attacking means death before I
manage to zone usually. I think my last 4 deaths I just got my loc. and waited
to die.