Magician Research Bug?

Sole Viktor

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
I have tried using magician research 7 times, it seems i am one of the few
magicians on my server that have actually spent alot of time on this.

I have bought all books, translated them, have more than 50 words, different
components also needed.

so i set out for this fun skill trying to make my spells from lower level
spells, oh yeah why does a magcian have to use a spell to make spells? while
the others only use the other components, is it just me or doesnt that make
it alot more exspensive for us ?

anyway i go to my guildmaster train some points, and put thoose components
in the tome, carefull double checking that all the right components are
there, and click combine, and it says something like this "thoose components
or the amount did not produce any blablabla" ok this message i know it is a
standard skill message saying you put in the wrong components.. oh well
didnt think much about that... lets try another one now it said my skill was
sufficient or what ever meaning my lack of skill didnt produce anything, ok
this sounds fair, better luck next time.

so far i have used 2 spells i bought, 2 words, and 2 components.. hmmm thats
a fair amount of money, especially since thoose components are the hardest
to get.

anyway some days later i try with some other spells totalling in 5 more!
(getting the stuff for 5 new spells, thats a lot of money and time i can
tell you!) and ALL i repeat ALL said the components was wrong!!!! now i
begin to get mad, i check some webpages, eqvault etc, and find a spoiler
page about research well nice it has the ingredients i need, hmm yup my
translation was correct, i have used the right components arcording to the
book!

now i search out some fellow high level magicians, and find about 3 on my
server who have touched research they have only made about 1 spell each
thou, and some had luck some didnt.

well thinking back i did make one that might have worked if i had a bit more
luck, and i wasnt doing the same spells, i was doing the ones i could find
components for...

hmmm now i get even more mad, it at this point begins to look like that some
of the spells doesnt work, i wonder if this realy can be true after all
would verant at least have tested one of each spell when making them????
anyway i begin to petition guides/gms all are quite polite, i talked to
about 3 or 4 on my server (the rathe) and none knew anything at all,
actually i knew more about research than they did, sad.. doing as one
suggested i start a character on another server and contact a gm there...

He tells me that verant havent told him much about research problems, but he
knows that some people have contacted him about this, after talking a bit
with him, we come to the conclusion that, either the message is wrong and i
just "fizzled" 7 times in a row, or some spells simply dont work, and cant
be made. he also told me that there was some rumour about this being a
server specific problem, and that they would fix it one server at the
time??? weird...

Anyways i have a bank filled up with words about 6 large bags full, and
still getting them, anyone want? just give me a tell and ill give it to you,
and delete my character, throw out the box thru my window and call verants
emploies at night and scream research not to mention delete my character.

this has been a truely disapointing and time consuming...

I would like others with exsperience with mag research to say a word or two,
and warn other magicians that they should not waste to much time with it.

Regards Yadari Isabrat (The Rathe)

L. Drew Davis

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:05:52 +0200, "Sole Viktor" <so...@jubii.dk>
wrote:

>oh yeah why does a magcian have to use a spell to make spells?

Why not? It's not like you can do a reality check on it. It
makes sense to start from a known if weaker point.

> while the others only use the other components, is it just me or doesnt that make
>it alot more exspensive for us ?

I haven't paid that much attention to the requirements for other
casters, but from what I know, you're right. In fact, it's very close
to as expensive to research a spell (on success) as it is just to
buy it, if you count the cost of the scroll and the money you
could have gotten even from a merchant for the Words, etc.
It's like 90% of the cost of the spell from the merchant, so unless
you have a 100% success rate, it's a money-losing proposition.
So I researched one for the heck of it (it's the magely thing to do)
and then just bought the rest. It would be more interesting if the
components were cheap enough to make research worth the
effort.

>now i search out some fellow high level magicians, and find about 3 on my
>server who have touched research they have only made about 1 spell each
>thou, and some had luck some didnt.

Worked for me, just as the book said. I presume it's like any
craft skill, and there's some chance of failure -- which is why it's
not cost-effective for magicians. Buy the ones you can, and leave
research for any research-only spells there might be. Words of
Tyranny are just more loot, worth a few gold.