Mage pets do NOT dual wield.

JubJub McRae

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not dual wield, at
least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
have summoned attacked more than twice per round. Ever. Ever. Ever.
It just doesn't happen. I can post hour after hour of log, with
misses and hits on, and beyond kick/bash, never will any more than two
attacks per round be seen. *Shrugs*.

mak

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
I agree, my level 49 pets NEVER hit more than 2 times per round either.
I've logged it and looked, compared to a necro pet it hit half as much.
And that post about a mage pet beating a necro pet that he made was
rediciulous. Perhaps is he put a necro pet up against a mage pet with a
fire sheild, then yea, the mage pet would whoop it's ass. But i've tested
a necro pet with it's daggers vs my mage pet. Now he might say something
stupid like "that's a buffed necro pet because it has daggers", but when
the hell do you ever see a necro pet without daggers? Anyway, a necro pet
w/ daggers will beat the crap out of every mage pet other than the fire
elemental, unless you can start them fighting before he casts a damage
sheild on himself, in that case the necro bet beats them all, and usually
has about half HP left after the fight.

Paul Phillips

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
Remember the Verant guys do not actually play EverQuest. They create
characters that are not "real" and use those "fake" characters to test.
Like the Shaman Alchemy debacle you may have to force them to stop
playing in their world and come to ours to test this out.
Paul

--
----------------------------
"Why are you making us dig this hole?"

Marc Fuller

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
JubJub McRae wrote:

> After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
> mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not dual wield, at
> least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
> have summoned attacked more than twice per round. Ever. Ever. Ever.
> It just doesn't happen. I can post hour after hour of log, with
> misses and hits on, and beyond kick/bash, never will any more than two
> attacks per round be seen. *Shrugs*.

Just out of curiousity, how are you comparing it? To the mobs? As far as I can
tell, mobs start to dual wield at about level 15 (or double attack. Same
difference.) I'm not really auguing with you, since I'm not yet to the level
where the pets are supposed to have this ability. Personally, I think the best
way to test it, might be to compare them in a one-on-one duel with an equal
level Necro pet, with no buffs on *either* pet. (No daggers.) Also, how do you
compute a "round" in Everquest? I've never really figured out how things like
Dual Wield or Double Attack cycle, other than the fact that most mobs seem to
hit noticeably more often than anybody I've grouped with.

Also, from what I've heard, pets don't quite use Mob NPC levels. Pet levels are
better than player levels, but not as much better as MOB levels. (A Magician
with a pet exactly the same level as a Hill Giant might be able to kill the
giant if he assists his pet, but if he just sics the pet on it, he's probably
dead.)

I don't really know. I'm at level 26 now, so I suppose it's actually possible I
may eventually reach level 34 (where you can always summon pets that can
supposedly dual wield.) Maybe part of the problem, is that Necro pets have a
visible sign on them advertiseing when they can dual wield. (Hand them a dagger
and a sword. If they slash, and pierce, then they can dual wield.)

At what level do pets get double attack? Do they get it and dual wield both at
level 29? Or is double attack earlier? I'm just asking, because messing around
in Nektulos with my level 24 pets, I can sic them on any critter in the zone,
and occaisionally see them instantly hit it two or three times, not counting the
times when my Water elemental kills the snakes, decaying skeletons, and
spiderlings instantly with a spellblast. (Also not counting guards. My
magician is a Dark Elf.)

Marc Fuller

Jerry The Cow

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

"JubJub McRae" <mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
> mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not
> dual wield, at
> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

> least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
> have summoned attacked more than twice per round.

Now I know very little about mages, but...

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you
may be confusing double-attack with dual-wield. Correct me if I'm
reading your post wrong.

-Manlaven

Jonathan

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
I guess it'd be hard to tell since they have 1 animation for every attack.
They may be dual wielding, they may be double attacking. I would presume
double attacking since that's always much more common than dual wielding
(about 10% for PCs)

Jerry The Cow <leigh1*@hfx.andara.com> wrote in message

JubJub McRae

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:31:44 GMT, "Jerry The Cow"
<leigh1*@hfx.andara.com> wrote:

>"JubJub McRae" <mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
>> mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not
>> dual wield, at
>> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
>> least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
>> have summoned attacked more than twice per round.
>
>Now I know very little about mages, but...
>
>After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you
>may be confusing double-attack with dual-wield. Correct me if I'm
>reading your post wrong.

How do you draw this conclusion. I am most definitely referring to
dual wield. Attacking with both hands, or two weapons. This occurs
in necro and enchanter pets at L29 (only if you hand them weapons, it
must be noted). Magician pets cannot be handed weapons, so they never
get the extra attack of dual wield. Perhaps you have double attack
and dual wield confused.

JubJub McRae

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 02:29:33 GMT, "Jonathan" <jp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I guess it'd be hard to tell since they have 1 animation for every attack.
>They may be dual wielding, they may be double attacking. I would presume
>double attacking since that's always much more common than dual wielding
>(about 10% for PCs)

Do not go by the animations, go buy the combat text, especially with
logs where everything is timestamped.

JubJub McRae

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:19:44 -0800, Marc Fuller
<kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>JubJub McRae wrote:
>>
>> After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
>> mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not dual wield, at

>> least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I

>> have summoned attacked more than twice per round. Ever. Ever. Ever.
>> It just doesn't happen. I can post hour after hour of log, with
>> misses and hits on, and beyond kick/bash, never will any more than two
>> attacks per round be seen. *Shrugs*.
>
>Just out of curiousity, how are you comparing it? To the mobs? As far as I can
>tell, mobs start to dual wield at about level 15 (or double attack. Same
>difference.) I'm not really auguing with you, since I'm not yet to the level
>where the pets are supposed to have this ability. Personally, I think the best
>way to test it, might be to compare them in a one-on-one duel with an equal
>level Necro pet, with no buffs on *either* pet. (No daggers.) Also, how do you
>compute a "round" in Everquest? I've never really figured out how things like
>Dual Wield or Double Attack cycle, other than the fact that most mobs seem to
>hit noticeably more often than anybody I've grouped with.

This is not something to really compare, not a pet competition. To
see if a pet is dual wielding, all you need to do is record and look
at a log file, or even watch the text display as it scrolls by. All
pets get double attack at L8. Which means two attacks per "round" at
most. When dual wield comes into the equasion, you see more than two
attacks - up to 4. This starts to occur for necromancer and enchanter
pets at L29. It never occurs for mage pets. (When I say round, well,
there are no rounds, but using the /log command gives you a pretty
good log of data with timestamps for each line of text - try it,
you'll see what I mean).

>Also, from what I've heard, pets don't quite use Mob NPC levels. Pet levels are
>better than player levels, but not as much better as MOB levels. (A Magician
>with a pet exactly the same level as a Hill Giant might be able to kill the
>giant if he assists his pet, but if he just sics the pet on it, he's probably
>dead.)

It's not something to do with NPC/PC/whatever levels - it's a skill
mage pets are supposed to possess (eventually - with the appropriate
level summoning) and use, according to GZ's and Abashi's assertion.
It's nothing to do with how a blue pet takes on a blue mob, it's
whether or not the skill ever comes into use. At the moment it
doesn't.

>I don't really know. I'm at level 26 now, so I suppose it's actually possible I
>may eventually reach level 34 (where you can always summon pets that can
>supposedly dual wield.) Maybe part of the problem, is that Necro pets have a
>visible sign on them advertiseing when they can dual wield. (Hand them a dagger
>and a sword. If they slash, and pierce, then they can dual wield.)

I believe it is supposed to occur at 29 - regardless, I am 35th, and
it just doesn't happen. And again, don't go on visual cues. They
help, but are not terribly telling in the long run.

>At what level do pets get double attack? Do they get it and dual wield both at
>level 29? Or is double attack earlier? I'm just asking, because messing around
>in Nektulos with my level 24 pets, I can sic them on any critter in the zone,
>and occaisionally see them instantly hit it two or three times, not counting the
>times when my Water elemental kills the snakes, decaying skeletons, and
>spiderlings instantly with a spellblast. (Also not counting guards. My
>magician is a Dark Elf.)

Look more carefully - each volley of attacks with pets (I strongly
recommend trying the /log function, and turning others misses ON for
the purposes of testing) will consist of up to two normal attacks and
a bash, up to two normal attacks and a bash, up to two normal attacks
and a bash. With dual wield functioning, each volley will consist of
up to three or four normal attacks and a bash.

The good news is, it looks like we have another alchemy screwup here -
enough mages have responded to the inaccurate assertion by GZ/Gordon,
and gordon has listened and admitted the error of their assertion
(that mage pets do dual wield). I truly, truly wish that they would
have listened to the /bugs I had sent in about it, the feedback, and
letters - this has been a long standing problem, and once again, the
aloofness and sloppy casual nature of verant bug testing have blinded
them to innumerable clear, concise player descriptions of the problem.

fillipo

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 05:58:17 GMT, mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com
(JubJub McRae) wrote:

> - this has been a long standing problem, and once again, the
>aloofness and sloppy casual nature of verant bug testing have blinded
>them to innumerable clear, concise player descriptions of the problem.

This part deserves to stand on it's own. :)

Mason Barge

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
>They may be dual wielding, they may be double attacking. I would presume
>double attacking since that's always much more common than dual wielding

I have to admit, my mage has never tried to equip a pet. But double attacks
are pretty common, and even a burned-out earth pet will double attack.

I'm not completely following the thread. Does someone know for sure that
equipping a mage pet with a dagger will decrease attack delay?

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

Devast

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Pets get double attack at lvl 8 which is where his statement about never
more than 2 attacks per round comes in. Once they get dual wield (at
level 29) they should, at least once in a while, dual wield AND double
attack in the same round. That would give them up to 4 attacks per
round. Just like monks get both skills and can attack up to 4 times per
round at higher levels.

Hope that helps clear it up..

In article <4k6k4.3051$Xb7.1...@sapphire.mtt.net>,

"Jerry The Cow" <leigh1*@hfx.andara.com> wrote:

> "JubJub McRae" <mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty
> > that mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not
> > dual wield, at

> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

> > least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
> > have summoned attacked more than twice per round.
>

> Now I know very little about mages, but...
>
> After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you
> may be confusing double-attack with dual-wield. Correct me if I'm
> reading your post wrong.
>

> -Manlaven

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JubJub McRae

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On 28 Jan 2000 16:47:43 GMT, mason...@aol.comnospam (Mason Barge)
wrote:

It won't. With the exception of the newest changes on test, mages'
pets can't equip weapons - you can give a pet a weapon, but it won't
wield it. As a result, they do not get the delay bonus allowed by the
dagger bug.

abatt...@netscape.net

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
JubJub McRae <mrju...@removethispart.hotmail.com> wrote:
> After 35 levels of playing a mage, I can say with some certainty that
> mage pets, despite GZ and Abashi's assertions, do not dual wield, at
> least not on the public servers. Never, ever, ever has any pet I
> have summoned attacked more than twice per round. Ever. Ever. Ever.
> It just doesn't happen. I can post hour after hour of log, with
> misses and hits on, and beyond kick/bash, never will any more than two
> attacks per round be seen. *Shrugs*.

twice per round? wouldn't that be double attack, not dual wield? try giving
one of your pets a couple fine steel weapons and see if they show up on the
model. check the damage he's doing, is it a little more than average?

--
josh

abatt...@netscape.net

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Marc Fuller <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> tell, mobs start to dual wield at about level 15 (or double attack. Same
> difference.) I'm not really auguing with you, since I'm not yet to the level

double attack and dual wield are two *very* different abilities. for example,
a level 1 monk can attack twice a round because he has dual wield. a level 1
warrior attacks once in a round. when they get up to the appropriate level
(don't remember which level warriors get double attack, monks get it at 15th),
for double attack and train it, they will start seeing three, sometimes four
attacks in a round (gotta have a high skill for any degree of frequency with
this though :-).

--
josh

JubJub McRae

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

Mages pets cannot equip weapons. Ever. If you hand a weapon to a
mages pet, it effectively disappears. The pet does not wield it, does
not benefit from the delay bug.

hughes

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
> Mages pets cannot equip weapons. Ever. If you hand a weapon to a
> mages pet, it effectively disappears. The pet does not wield it, does
> not benefit from the delay bug.

not a bug . even if you do have an axe to grind.

JubJub McRae

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:00:35 GMT, "hughes" <hugh...@bellsouth.net>
wrote: