Druid Track Skills

Sub

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

Thanks,
Subwolf

Sam Schlansky

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99

Quite frankly, it pisses me off that druids and bards have tracking at all. It
was a huge mistake giving it to them.

At least with druids their current cap of 20 makes the skill nearly useless...
but bards have far *better* tracking than rangers in basically every way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anybody should be nerfed... but looking
to IMPROVE their tracking is really fucking annoying.

Paladins get a 1000+ point heal every 40 minutes, shadowknights get a 500+
point DD every 40 minutes, and rangers get... tracking worse than bards. Yeah,
that makes sense.

What they really need to do is to FIX tracking. Make it filterable, make it
customizable, make it hold more than 20 frigging entries, add a scrollbar, and
make it usable for more than seeing what's newly spawned in the entire zone.

Then... leave ALL skill caps as they are and implement the fixes for rangers
only.

Then, bards get decent tracking for a quarter of the zone that's only good for
new spawns in dungeons, druids remain with their useless line-of-sight
tracking, but rangers can use it as it was intended to be used; to actually
TRACK.

What they DON'T need to do is to dilute our "unique" ability even more than it
already is by giving druids, already the most versatile class in the game,
usable tracking.

What's next for druids, double-fucking-attack and clarity? The one thing the
game DOESN'T need is druid enhancements. Enhance magicians, wizards, shamen,
shadowknights, rogues, and monks first. Make THEM interesting versatile classes
that are fun to play and good at level 50, THEN look at druids.

Don't touch druids until they're no longer the obvious "pick me" class.

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| I speak for myself only unless noted otherwise.

Randy Neumann

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Right on, I have a 25 druid and a 29 ranger, and I don't think they should
make the druids tracking any better either, they already have all the best
spells in the game, and most of the good skills. They don't need to have
tracking that works better than the rangers.

"Sam Schlansky" <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote in message

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:

|Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
|Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
|EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

I'm sure it is.

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"I guess my work 'round here has all been done."
-- The Devil, "The Garden of Allah", Don Henley

Sam Schlansky

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) wrote in
<3862fb94.328822403@news>:

>On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:
>
>|Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the
>|Track Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general
>|consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.
>
> I'm sure it is.

Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Melee
Skills. Give us doubleattack, dualwield, and slam all capped at 255,
that seems to be the general consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list
at One-List.

Seriously, what does he "want to hear"? He's asking people if they
WANT their class to get enhanced?

What did he expect to hear...... NO?

Adar

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99

> dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) wrote in
> <3862fb94.328822403@news>:
>
> >On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:
> >
> >|Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the
> >|Track Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general
> >|consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.
> >
> > I'm sure it is.
>
> Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Melee
> Skills. Give us doubleattack, dualwield, and slam all capped at 255,
> that seems to be the general consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list
> at One-List.
>
> Seriously, what does he "want to hear"? He's asking people if they
> WANT their class to get enhanced?
>
> What did he expect to hear...... NO?

Meanwhile, ask them about melees binding anywhere, and fully half (all of
which don't play melees and solo to 50) will whine that it's taking away a
caster advantage.

I just loooove druids. I've even stopped paying attention to their board; it
used to be great when the original people who never knew or cared how
powerful their class was were on, but the amount of whiners, third
characters, and d00ds on it now is insane. Kinda like the whole class,
actually.

Sad thing is, my best in-game friend is a high level druid, and I *still*
feel secure saying that...

Brudo (E'ci)
Loredaeron (E'ci)

isad...@esisusa.com

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Yet another person that regrets picking ranger over druid from the get-go.
Stop getting jealous about a skill. Rangers are still the best melee
choice. Druids are much less powerful now than when this whole thing
started, they are bottom end duelers, and lack perfection in any
skill/trade/duty. The druid is a utility class, just like a shaman or a
bard or even a cleric. The druids lack armor and weapon choices. As a
character of nature, tracking seems fit and a skill of only 20 is terrible.
A skill of 75 is ok but no where near the ranger cap. There are many
reasons the druid is not the pick me class, for one, Aradune is a ranger.
Shows you right there that a ranger stands less chance of nerfing. What
have they nerfed about the rangers? Let me get this straight...You can
heal, DD, snare, SoW, dual wield and the only thing you lack is plate armor
that can be replaced by ivy armor, the second easiest armor quests in the
game? Now that's a PICK ME class. Rangers have magic why? I have never
played a class like a woodelf ranger that gets so many skills the day you
start it. If fills up a whole hotkey section. BAH!!!! forget it, your just
jealous of another class. CLASS ENVY!

Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote in message

> ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote in <3860d0c9.80820216@news>:
>

> >Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
> >Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
> >EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

Sam Schlansky

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
ad...@spamaway.mindspring.com (Adar) wrote in
<83qut7$gmc$1...@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net>:

(snip)

>Sad thing is, my best in-game friend is a high level druid, and I
>*still* feel secure saying that...

...not that there's anything wrong with that!

(seinfeld reference)

Sam Schlansky

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
isad...@esisusa.com (Isad...@esisusa.com) wrote in <3861735f@news
-out>:

>Yet another person that regrets picking ranger over druid from the
>get-go.

Yep. Of course, there IS a reason for that, they're better.

>Stop getting jealous about a skill.

Why?

>Rangers are still the best melee choice.

Debatable, but let's assume you're correct. My point wasn't to
compare the melee classes, my point was that both paladins and
shadowknights get a unique ability while rangers do not.

>Druids are much less powerful now than when
>this whole thing started,

This is true, when it comes to kiting anyway. That's a Good Thing.

>they are bottom end duelers,

Bottom end duelers? You're talking about PvP? Are you fucking insane?
Who gives a shit about PvP, Everquest is a PvE game.

Christ, you're SO dense to even bring that up.... not to mention that
druids are FAR from bottom end duelers. Compare them against... oh...
a ranger, for example. Or a warrior, or a rogue, or a cleric, or...

>and lack perfection in any skill/trade/duty.

They "lack perfection" eh? Would you mind explaining what the fuck
that means?

>The druid is a utility class, just like a shaman or a bard or even a
>cleric.

That makes them MORE POWERFUL, you DIMWIT. Flexibility is power in
Everquest.

And clerics aren't flexible, BTW.

>The druids lack armor and weapon choices.

Again, are you out of your fucking mind? All of the best +wisdom gear
is leather based except for one item-- the adamantium epaulets.
There's only ONE best-of-class wisdom item that druids can't wear.

And.... WEAPONS? Who gives a fuck?

>As a character of nature, tracking seems fit and a skill of only 20
>is terrible.

That's right, a skill of 20 is terrible... as it damn well should be.

>A skill of 75 is ok but no where near the ranger cap.

You're obviously missing the point. Let me spell it out for you:

"For the tracking skill, a higher cap means the skill is less
useful."

Read that several times.

>There are many reasons the
>druid is not the pick me class, for one, Aradune is a ranger.

And that means druids aren't a pick-me class..... because.........?

I'm sorry, I missed your point. Brad's a very nice guy, but he is NOT
a powergamer.

>Shows you right there that a ranger stands less chance of nerfing.

Oh, I see your point. Well, let me tell you this:

I know for a *fact* (a FACT) that only two people at Verant play
rangers. Brad McQuaid and Brian Hook.

On the other hand, a LOT of people at Verant play shadowknights.

Shadowknights totally suck, rangers don't. So... where's your logic
there?

> What have they nerfed about the rangers?

Not much. There were a few minor nerfs, but nothing to get too upset
about. Mostly rangers have gotten enhancements.

Of course, as a melee class, we still suck.

>Let me get this
>straight...You can heal, DD, snare, SoW, dual wield and the only
>thing you lack is plate armor that can be replaced by ivy armor,
>the second easiest armor quests in the game? Now that's a PICK ME
>class.

It's a pick-me MELEE class, bucko, just like druids are a pick-me
CASTER class.

Melee class < Caster class

>Rangers have magic why?

Umm.... ok, I give up, why? You're so disjointed that it's nearly
impossible to understand what the fuck you're trying to say. Try to
straighten out your thoughts before you type them for the entire
world to see, friend.

>I have never played a class like
>a woodelf ranger that gets so many skills the day you start it.
>If fills up a whole hotkey section.

As opposed to, say, a wood-elf druid or a wood-elf rogue or a wood-
elf DRUID? They're race-based skills, idiot.

>BAH!!!! forget it, your just jealous of another class. CLASS ENVY!

(snip)

Yes, it's class envy. And so what? It's justified.

Why are you getting so pissed off? I don't want druids nerfed, I
don't want ANY class nerfed... but they certainly shouldn't track
BETTER than rangers, just like bards do right NOW.

Seems to me thou dost protest too much.

Matthew Mc Clement

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Sam Schlansky wrote:

> dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) wrote in
> <3862fb94.328822403@news>:
>
> >On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:
> >
> >|Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the
> >|Track Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general
> >|consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.
> >
> > I'm sure it is.
>
> Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Melee
> Skills. Give us doubleattack, dualwield, and slam all capped at 255,
> that seems to be the general consensus on the EQ-Druids mailing list
> at One-List.
>
> Seriously, what does he "want to hear"? He's asking people if they
> WANT their class to get enhanced?
>
> What did he expect to hear...... NO?

Actually, maybe he did, and there are a few people that don't really want
tracking raised on druids. I don't either. I rarely use my tracking to find
something. If I want to find something I grab a high level ranger, tp to or near
where I want something tracked, he tracks, I pay and tp him back, done. I mainly
use tracking as a way to avoid running into a second griffon while kiting one,
etc. A second pair of eyes really.

One way that I can think of that would make ranger tracking useful again at high
skill levels is to have a slider that allows rangers to change their skill on
the fly. Shouldn't be too hard to do either methinks.

Matt

Ben

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Maybe you should have been a Druid....

Ben

"Sam Schlansky" <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote in message
> ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote in <3860d0c9.80820216@news>:
>

> >Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
> >Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
> >EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

Pacer Featherpaw

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Isad...@esisusa.com <isad...@esisusa.com> wrote in message

> Yet another person that regrets picking ranger over druid from the get-go.
> Stop getting jealous about a skill. Rangers are still the best melee
> choice. Druids are much less powerful now than when this whole thing
> started, they are bottom end duelers, and lack perfection in any
> skill/trade/duty. The druid is a utility class, just like a shaman or a
> bard or even a cleric. The druids lack armor and weapon choices. As a

In the later levels, this may be true. However, in the early levels, Druids
are way more powerful than Rangers. I have a level 33 Ranger and a level 13
Druid. Right now, the Druid is fighting bandits in Butcherblock. All con
blue. Using Harmony and Ignite, I can pull the bandits one at a time, and
then when they get to me, I cast damage shield and wail away with my Runed
Totem Staff (untwinked, BTW, everything bought via auction. Bat wings and
skel bones are AMAZING ways of making cash...). Heal a bit if i need to,
and pull again. I can pull the ENTIRE camp before having to rest with the
Druid (maybe a couple of quicky rests in between to get back a bit of mana
for a buffer). With my Ranger at that level, I couldn't pull any at all (no
Harmony), and when I was able to (due to another group taking some), I could
only take down 2 before having to rest due to low health.

> have they nerfed about the rangers? Let me get this straight...You can

> heal, DD, snare, SoW, dual wield and the only thing you lack is plate
armor
> that can be replaced by ivy armor, the second easiest armor quests in the

> game? Now that's a PICK ME class. Rangers have magic why? I have never

> played a class like a woodelf ranger that gets so many skills the day you

> start it. If fills up a whole hotkey section. BAH!!!! forget it, your

just
> jealous of another class. CLASS ENVY!

Rangers don't get spells until level 9 (like all hybrids), until then they
are just weak warriors with an exp penalty. DD spells are so pitifully weak
for the level you get them at they are useless as you can actually deal more
damage through melee in the time it takes to cast the things. Heal is also
pitifully weak. I can empty a full cache of mana into healing and only get
back 2 bulbs of health. SoW doesn't come until level 39 (druids get it at
14...) Dual Wield is ok, but I still don't see myself dealing more damage
with it than someone with a 2 hander unless I get some ultra-cool-damage
weapons (odds of that are VERY low). Tracking is ok to get at "start up",
but it really doesn't get used until you gain a few levels. And, since
these days the game is played by "camping", tracking is a bit useless most
of the time anyway.

Personally, I like playing the ranger, other than the freaking exp penalty
which imbalances the class after the solo levels are done. I see all kinds
of suggestions by others how the ranger could be better (more versatile
tracking, etc.) but I'll tell you -- All I want is that useless exp penalty
eliminated.

---
Pacer Featherpaw, Ranger
Innoruuk

John A. Lipski

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:

>Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
>Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
>EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

Okay...I read all the other replies so far, and they all seem to be
from people slamming druids. Let me establish classes and levels
first...I play a druid (my highest level character, 15), an Enchanter
and a Ranger (4 and 6 respectively). I also have a level 2 warrior,
but he's not played much at all (started him like a month ago,
playechim like 30 minutes only).

Druids should keep the tracking skill, and it should be higher than 20
(my argument is that it should be capped higher than a bard's
but...the bard's is too high), but not 75. 50 sounds like a reasonable
cap. Further, the skill should be improved so that rangers (and
rangers only) can do more with it, as was requested. My one gripe is
having to wait till level 20 for it, though. A lower level would be
nicer, maybe 12 or so.

The best solution, of course, is to take a druid's tracking _skill_
away and instead give them an improved version of the sense animal
spell (with clickable animal lists a la ranger tracking), maybe at
level 14 (or at worst 19), which would make it a good replacement for
the now non-existent tracking skill. Net effect? Druids _can_ track
more effectively than Bards, but not likely as well as rangers (maybe
half a zone only). But, it's a spell that lasts X minutes and costs XX
mana to cast, so it's not no-rent like a skill and can't really be
improved like one either.

John
----
A Druid, willing to lose the tracking _skill_ if he can get an
effective tracking _spell_ to replace it.

Anoni Mess

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:

>Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
>Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
>EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

I don't have tracking at all yet with my 12 druid, but if the skill is
useless at 20, why not raise it to at least 40 to make it viable?
This is of course disregarding the fact that druids have it better
than everyone else. But if it's going to be there, it should be worth
something.

NBarnes

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
"John A. Lipski" wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:26:16 GMT, ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote:

> >Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
> >Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
> >EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.

> Okay...I read all the other replies so far, and they all seem to be

> from people slamming druids. Let me establish classes and levels
> first...I play a druid (my highest level character, 15), an Enchanter
> and a Ranger (4 and 6 respectively). I also have a level 2 warrior,
> but he's not played much at all (started him like a month ago,
> playechim like 30 minutes only).
>
> Druids should keep the tracking skill, and it should be higher than 20
> (my argument is that it should be capped higher than a bard's
> but...the bard's is too high), but not 75. 50 sounds like a reasonable
> cap. Further, the skill should be improved so that rangers (and
> rangers only) can do more with it, as was requested. My one gripe is
> having to wait till level 20 for it, though. A lower level would be
> nicer, maybe 12 or so.
>
> The best solution, of course, is to take a druid's tracking _skill_
> away and instead give them an improved version of the sense animal
> spell (with clickable animal lists a la ranger tracking), maybe at
> level 14 (or at worst 19), which would make it a good replacement for
> the now non-existent tracking skill. Net effect? Druids _can_ track
> more effectively than Bards, but not likely as well as rangers (maybe
> half a zone only). But, it's a spell that lasts X minutes and costs XX
> mana to cast, so it's not no-rent like a skill and can't really be
> improved like one either.

I, for one, would hate this 'fix'. Animals are just so not where
it's at at higher levels, it's not even funny. I'll be able to...
wow, find all the (non-existant) griffs in most zones. And sense
sonic bats. That's it. Whee. I'll take Tracking, capped at 20,
over that any day. Honestly, I find Tracking to be a useful tool
even capped at 20, I'm not sure I want the cap raised. I've talked
to rangers who hate running across SK to find the mob they're
tracking, while my tracking is limited to things that are relatively
close.

NBarnes - Dina Demeteran, 41st circle druid, Sol Ro

Hotoru

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Hmm, I play a 20th Lvl Druid. Personally, I think they should just
leave everything alone.
Tracking IS useful at 20. Sure I cannot track stuff halfway across zone but
so what? My BIG fear is that the proposed NERF of SOW will go in (has been
proposed to make SOW disappear when mele starts ..like Invis). I can see it
now.... We will say: "Hey you NERFed SOW! ." And verant will say" Yea, but
we GAVE you tracking ..hehe.. That is a trade I DONT want to make.

Druids are FINE.. just leave em alone.. No NERFs .. No BUFFs.

If you WANT to change something try making Hiding give a reply on whether or
not it was successful.

Floxin

Ben <be...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Billy Shields

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
: -out>:

:>Yet another person that regrets picking ranger over druid from the
:>get-go.

: Yep. Of course, there IS a reason for that, they're better.

So play one and stop whining.

:>Rangers are still the best melee choice.

: Debatable, but let's assume you're correct. My point wasn't to

: compare the melee classes, my point was that both paladins and
: shadowknights get a unique ability while rangers do not.

Let me put it this way: what would you rather have--harm touch
(or even lay hands) or dual wield?

:>The druid is a utility class, just like a shaman or a bard or even a
:>cleric.

: That makes them MORE POWERFUL, you DIMWIT. Flexibility is power in
: Everquest.

Nonsense. In the end two things matter in Everquest:

1) The ability to take damage (whether it be by tanking, pets or
whatever).

2) The ability to debuff monsters (this is far more important than
buffing players).

Both of which druids miss out on. At 49 they make reasonable nukers
for sure but druids aren't one of the classes you can't live without
in high end groups, dragon/plane raids, etc (that list is clerics,
enchanters (shamans can substitute to some degree), tanks and pet
classes).

: And clerics aren't flexible, BTW.

Which pretty much proves your 'flexibility is power' wrong doesn't
it?

:>The druids lack armor and weapon choices.

: Again, are you out of your fucking mind? All of the best +wisdom gear

: is leather based except for one item-- the adamantium epaulets.
: There's only ONE best-of-class wisdom item that druids can't wear.

At the high end it becomes an issue because you don't need to wear
ALL the +wis gear to get to 200 and you may not want to get to 200
anyway. As such, shamans and clerics have more choices about what
exactly they can wear (rubicite breastplate springs to mind).
Druids don't. I'll agree that it doesn't matter until 40+ (or
maybe even 45+) though.

: And.... WEAPONS? Who gives a fuck?

Couldn't agree more.

:>As a character of nature, tracking seems fit and a skill of only 20
:>is terrible.

: That's right, a skill of 20 is terrible... as it damn well should be.

That wouldn't bother me if bards didn't get it at 100.

:>A skill of 75 is ok but no where near the ranger cap.

: You're obviously missing the point. Let me spell it out for you:

: "For the tracking skill, a higher cap means the skill is less
: useful."

: Read that several times.

You're wrong.

Yes its less useful for finding stuff to kill but then again who
wanders around SolB tracking down lava duct crawlers to kill?
The days of tracking down things to kill end when you outgrow the
Karanas.

What tracking is useful for is being the first to know about named
and/or rare spawns before anyone else. And that is *icnredibly*
useful considering a 50 ranger can cover a huge chunk of a zone
with a single click of his track key. Especially considering
tracking targets are ranked from most recent to least recent time
spawned.

:>There are many reasons the

:>druid is not the pick me class, for one, Aradune is a ranger.

: And that means druids aren't a pick-me class..... because.........?

: I'm sorry, I missed your point. Brad's a very nice guy, but he is NOT
: a powergamer.

Gotta agree with you here. Anyone who uses Aradune as an argument to
justify anything is an ignorant moron. Do people really buy into that
kind of rubbish?

:>Shows you right there that a ranger stands less chance of nerfing.

: Oh, I see your point. Well, let me tell you this:

: I know for a *fact* (a FACT) that only two people at Verant play
: rangers. Brad McQuaid and Brian Hook.

: On the other hand, a LOT of people at Verant play shadowknights.

: Shadowknights totally suck, rangers don't. So... where's your logic
: there?

:> What have they nerfed about the rangers?

: Not much. There were a few minor nerfs, but nothing to get too upset

: about. Mostly rangers have gotten enhancements.

: Of course, as a melee class, we still suck.

Nonsense. You end up wielding the same weapons a warrior does
(ie Mithril 2her or dual Ykeshas) until the planes and even then
it doesn't get much worse. Warriors can however take more pain
than a ranger. As they should. Warriors did after all give up
the ability to use magic. If you don't think thats worth much
then perhaps you should be a warrior.

:>Let me get this

:>straight...You can heal, DD, snare, SoW, dual wield and the only
:>thing you lack is plate armor that can be replaced by ivy armor,
:>the second easiest armor quests in the game? Now that's a PICK ME
:>class.

: It's a pick-me MELEE class, bucko, just like druids are a pick-me
: CASTER class.

: Melee class < Caster class

So perhaps you should be looking to have melee classes improved
rather than non-melee classes nerfed. I play a druid and personally
I'm all for two main things:

1) Melee classes being able to be bound outside city zones.

2) Skill caps higher than 200.

Jandemeyer Ravenheart of Fennin Ro (45 druid)

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99

Hotoru wrote:

> Hmm, I play a 20th Lvl Druid. Personally, I think they should just
> leave everything alone.
> Tracking IS useful at 20. Sure I cannot track stuff halfway across zone but
> so what? My BIG fear is that the proposed NERF of SOW will go in (has been
> proposed to make SOW disappear when mele starts ..like Invis). I can see it
> now.... We will say: "Hey you NERFed SOW! ." And verant will say" Yea, but
> we GAVE you tracking ..hehe.. That is a trade I DONT want to make.
>
> Druids are FINE.. just leave em alone.. No NERFs .. No BUFFs.
>
> If you WANT to change something try making Hiding give a reply on whether or
> not it was successful.

Best suggestion I've heard today

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99

Sam Schlansky wrote:

> [...]

> >Rangers have magic why?
>
> Umm.... ok, I give up, why? You're so disjointed that it's nearly
> impossible to understand what the fuck you're trying to say. Try to
> straighten out your thoughts before you type them for the entire
> world to see, friend.
>

> >I have never played a class like
> >a woodelf ranger that gets so many skills the day you start it.
> >If fills up a whole hotkey section.
>

> As opposed to, say, a wood-elf druid or a wood-elf rogue or a wood-
> elf DRUID? They're race-based skills, idiot.
>

> >BAH!!!! forget it, your just jealous of another class. CLASS ENVY!

> (snip)
>
> Yes, it's class envy. And so what? It's justified.
>
> Why are you getting so pissed off? I don't want druids nerfed, I
> don't want ANY class nerfed... but they certainly shouldn't track
> BETTER than rangers, just like bards do right NOW.

Next time, fully read what others have written before you go on a
tirade. You have obviously never played a druid, so you cannot validate
any of the comments you made. I play both a druid and a ranger. They
are essentially the same class. Rangers can cast but melee better, hence
better armor. Druids can melee but cast better, hence gate spells for
escape.

It's idiots like this who ruin the game.

Adar

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99

D <adiv...@hotmail.com> wrote the following crap in message

> Next time, fully read what others have written before you go on a
> tirade. You have obviously never played a druid, so you cannot validate
> any of the comments you made. I play both a druid and a ranger. They
> are essentially the same class. Rangers can cast but melee better, hence
> better armor. Druids can melee but cast better, hence gate spells for
> escape.

Yeah, THAT's it...druids and rangers are the same class, only one melees
better and the other casts better. What *were* we all thinking?

> It's idiots like this who ruin the game.

Yep, idiots like this, all right...

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Oh and Sam, remember, after all is said and done, your ranger simply becomes a
druid in the end.

For those who don't know, by the time a ranger has achieved level 49, he can sow,
heal, dot, snare, dmg shield, cast wolf form, and melee and and tank pretty much
like a warrior. Really, why would a ranger need to be able to take the form of a
wolf?

Bitch all you want about druids being too powerful Sam. Eventually you will be one
of us. Would seem to me at that point rangers are the most powerful.

(for the rest of you don't flame me...just messin with the newsgroup's flame whore)

Sam Schlansky wrote:

> ack...@home.com (Sub) wrote in <3860d0c9.80820216@news>:
>

> >Gordon posted that he want's to hear from druids regarding the Track
> >Skills. Cap it at 75, this seems to be the general consensus on the
> >EQ-Druids mailing list at One-List.
>

> Quite frankly, it pisses me off that druids and bards have tracking at all. It
> was a huge mistake giving it to them.
>

> At least with druids their current cap of 20 makes the skill nearly useless...
> but bards have far *better* tracking than rangers in basically every way.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anybody should be nerfed... but looking
> to IMPROVE their tracking is really fucking annoying.

Sam Schlansky

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
ran...@opera.iinet.net.au (Billy Shields) wrote in
<3861892a$0$15...@motown.iinet.net.au>:

>Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote:
>: isad...@esisusa.com (Isad...@esisusa.com) wrote in
>: <3861735f@news -out>:

(snip)

>: Debatable, but let's assume you're correct. My point wasn't to
>: compare the melee classes, my point was that both paladins and
>: shadowknights get a unique ability while rangers do not.
>
>Let me put it this way: what would you rather have--harm touch
>(or even lay hands) or dual wield?

That's not a valid question. Which would you rather have-- lay hands
or tracking?

(snip)

>:>The druids lack armor and weapon choices.
>
>: Again, are you out of your fucking mind? All of the best +wisdom
>: gear is leather based except for one item-- the adamantium
>: epaulets. There's only ONE best-of-class wisdom item that druids
>: can't wear.
>
>At the high end it becomes an issue because you don't need to wear
>ALL the +wis gear to get to 200 and you may not want to get to 200
>anyway. As such, shamans and clerics have more choices about what
>exactly they can wear (rubicite breastplate springs to mind).
>Druids don't. I'll agree that it doesn't matter until 40+ (or
>maybe even 45+) though.

45+ *maybe*... and of course the rubi bp is no longer dropping.
Still, thats a really really minor point. Most level 50 clerics and
shamen are wearing leather, just like druids, for almost all of their
armor slots.

(snip)

>:>As a character of nature, tracking seems fit and a skill of only
>:>20 is terrible.
>
>: That's right, a skill of 20 is terrible... as it damn well
>: should be.
>
>That wouldn't bother me if bards didn't get it at 100.

Agreed. Bards should have a worse skill than druids. But there's no
way to fix that without nerfing bards or giving druids a skill of 150
or something ridiculous like that.

>:>A skill of 75 is ok but no where near the ranger cap.
>
>: You're obviously missing the point. Let me spell it out for you:
>
>: "For the tracking skill, a higher cap means the skill is less
>: useful."
>
>: Read that several times.
>
>You're wrong.

No, I'm not. I play a ranger, I know what I'm fucking talking about.

>Yes its less useful for finding stuff to kill but then again who
>wanders around SolB tracking down lava duct crawlers to kill?
>The days of tracking down things to kill end when you outgrow the
>Karanas.
>
>What tracking is useful for is being the first to know about named
>and/or rare spawns before anyone else. And that is *icnredibly*
>useful considering a 50 ranger can cover a huge chunk of a zone
>with a single click of his track key. Especially considering
>tracking targets are ranked from most recent to least recent time
>spawned.

1) Zone into SolB
2) Check Track
3) Imp Protector
Imp Protector
Imp Protector
... (etc)

My ranger almost never sees kobolds or bugs on his track, it's always
imps, and occasionally fire giants. The range is just TOO big.

(snip)

>: Of course, as a melee class, we still suck.
>
>Nonsense. You end up wielding the same weapons a warrior does
>(ie Mithril 2her

Rangers can't use the mithril 2hander.

>or dual Ykeshas) until the planes and even then
>it doesn't get much worse. Warriors can however take more pain
>than a ranger. As they should. Warriors did after all give up
>the ability to use magic. If you don't think thats worth much
>then perhaps you should be a warrior.

If you continue to make those arguments perhaps you should gently
tongue my hairy pungent asshole?

(snip)

>: Melee class < Caster class
>
>So perhaps you should be looking to have melee classes improved
>rather than non-melee classes nerfed.

When did I say they should be nerfed?

>I play a druid and
>personally I'm all for two main things:
>
>1) Melee classes being able to be bound outside city zones.
>
>2) Skill caps higher than 200.

Well, thats good to hear.

Sam Schlansky

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
adiv...@hotmail.com (D) wrote in <3861BC70...@hotmail.com>:

(snip: two pages of quoted text)

>Next time, fully read what others have written before you go on a
>tirade. You have obviously never played a druid, so you cannot
>validate any of the comments you made. I play both a druid and a
>ranger. They are essentially the same class. Rangers can cast
>but melee better, hence better armor. Druids can melee but cast
>better, hence gate spells for escape.

OK, so rangers and druids are pretty much the same class, just
rangers can fight better and druids can cast a little better?

Holy shit... I never thought of it like that! You're absolutely
right! Hallelujia I can SEE THE LIGHT!

>It's idiots like this who ruin the game.

Seriously.

Billy Shields

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote:
: ran...@opera.iinet.net.au (Billy Shields) wrote in
: <3861892a$0$15...@motown.iinet.net.au>:

:>Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote:
:>: isad...@esisusa.com (Isad...@esisusa.com) wrote in
:>: <3861735f@news -out>:

: (snip)
:>: Debatable, but let's assume you're correct. My point wasn't to

:>: compare the melee classes, my point was that both paladins and
:>: shadowknights get a unique ability while rangers do not.
:>
:>Let me put it this way: what would you rather have--harm touch
:>(or even lay hands) or dual wield?

: That's not a valid question. Which would you rather have-- lay hands
: or tracking?

Its an entirely valid question: what would you rather have--a unique
ability (like harm touch) or a useful ability (like dual wield)?

I think you'd find there wouldn't be an SK out there who wouldn't
swap his unique ability for dual wield so perhaps you should
appreciate what you have.

Its similar to the whole class specific armour nonsense. Some
druids out there complain that they've been ignored. Personally
I don't care. I don't need something unique to have a sense of
identity.

: (snip)
[...]

Tell that to the shamans in totemic, clerics in ethereal mist (yes
I know this one is PoH armour), etc.

Clerics need to be able to take hits because superior/complete heal
is such a megataunt. As such I see a *lot* of high level clerics
in non-leather armour.

: (snip)
:>:>As a character of nature, tracking seems fit and a skill of only

:>:>20 is terrible.
:>
:>: That's right, a skill of 20 is terrible... as it damn well
:>: should be.
:>
:>That wouldn't bother me if bards didn't get it at 100.

: Agreed. Bards should have a worse skill than druids. But there's no

: way to fix that without nerfing bards or giving druids a skill of 150
: or something ridiculous like that.

I'd settle for bards capping at 20 and druids 50.

[...]

I'm a druid and I get the same thing. So how exactly your tracking
worse than mine? Your tracking will show up spawned rares halfway
across the zone. I know I'd swap my tracking of 20 for yours of
200. Would you take the 20? If not, you have no choice but to
concede that higher tracking *is* more useful.

: My ranger almost never sees kobolds or bugs on his track, it's always

: imps, and occasionally fire giants. The range is just TOO big.

: (snip)
:>: Of course, as a melee class, we still suck.

:>
:>Nonsense. You end up wielding the same weapons a warrior does
:>(ie Mithril 2her

: Rangers can't use the mithril 2hander.

So its dual ykeshas. Cry me a river.

Azmogeddon

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
In article <3861E1BC...@hotmail.com>, D <adiv...@hotmail.com>
writes

>Oh and Sam, remember, after all is said and done, your ranger simply becomes a
>druid in the end.
>
>For those who don't know, by the time a ranger has achieved level 49, he can
>sow,
>heal, dot, snare, dmg shield, cast wolf form, and melee and and tank pretty much
>like a warrior. Really, why would a ranger need to be able to take the form of
>wolf?

Urg been reading this thread in growing disbelief, but i gotta respond
to this one... eheh
level 50 ranger heals 90, druid heals around 300; ranger dots around
120, druid... 600? not sure on that one; ranger dmg shield 8 damage,
druid dmg shield 24 damage... rangers can tank, druids can nuke for
650... hardly the same :o)
I do think they are balanced tho, and yes high skill track is useless
except for rare occasions when you get lucky, and for spotting new
spawns.
I think track is probly most useful around 75-125, gets less good the
higher or lower you go from there.
dual wield and 2hslash are reasonable even in effectiveness, especially
since there are a lot of nice 2hslash weapons and maybe 4 or 5 good
1hslash (correct me if im wrong on the 1hslash..)
--
Azmogeddon