Magic Resists / Overall magic nerfing

Asuna

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
I'm hearing alot more about /blue and /green cons that are resisting spells
left and right. My enchanter is only lvl 15 so I haven't fought any of the
really tough MoBs. Probably the toughest thing i've fought was a scarecrow
and I've noticed OVERALL my spells will hold (usually my 2nd casting attempt
holds if the first fails).

Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in resists.

The first 'nerf' that I encountered was after this latest patch. I noticed
the RANGE in which I could cast my DoT spell was DRASTICALLY reduced. I
usually pick on these two bandits in West Karana when i'm soloing and I
noticed instead of tossing a DoT and moving back (to avoid 100 other bandits
coming out to help) that I almost had to stand right in front of them to
cast it. I stood in my NORMAL attacking spot but kept seeing 'your target is
out of range' then I was amazed that I had to move in almost half way from
my normal position before the bandits were in range.

Soloing with an enchanter is tough enough, but when my casting range is cut
in half it makes it even less productive. I didn't die but I did end up
taking them out in melee (which is a no no for casters anyway).

Anyone else notice your casting range decreased ?
(The lag on the server was higher than normal but I don't think that would
have caused it)

Asuna
Quellious

Gordon Chapman

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:14:08 -0300, "Asuna" <wa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone else notice your casting range decreased ?
>(The lag on the server was higher than normal but I don't think that would
>have caused it)

Not hugely, but I did burn 700 mana trying to smite a willowisp
yesterday in Befallen (it still didn't die, I ended up having to gate
as it wouldn't leave me alone to let me med - just comes up, hits you
and fucks off, you HAVE to kill it with magic unless you fancy chasing
the damn thing through the entire dungeon)

Bearing in mind that I'm lvl 27 and it's lvl 12, you'd have thought
that magic resistance wouldn't have played a part, but when an 85
damage spell is constantly connecting for 25 damage, you have to
wonder what the hell they're playing at.

G.
--

Software engineering is an ongoing battle between software
engineers constantly striving to create bigger and better

Right now the Universe is winning.

Gordon W. Chapman
--Lead Artist
--Climax Group
--gor...@climax.co.uk

Shane Bole

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
god, I was in the Erudin harbor killing those deepwater smugglers. a level 1
or 2 npc was swimming by, and resisted SANITY WARP. that should have hit for
91 points, but somehow it was resisted. this is screwed up

--
Fammuin, level 16 Erudite Cleric, Erollisi Marr
Fabno <Warriors of Apocalypse>, level 20 Erudite Enchanter, Erollisi Marr

Asuna <wa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm hearing alot more about /blue and /green cons that are resisting
spells
> left and right. My enchanter is only lvl 15 so I haven't fought any of the
> really tough MoBs. Probably the toughest thing i've fought was a scarecrow
> and I've noticed OVERALL my spells will hold (usually my 2nd casting
attempt
> holds if the first fails).
>
> Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in
resists.

> The first 'nerf' that I encountered was after this latest patch. I noticed
> the RANGE in which I could cast my DoT spell was DRASTICALLY reduced. I
> usually pick on these two bandits in West Karana when i'm soloing and I
> noticed instead of tossing a DoT and moving back (to avoid 100 other
bandits
> coming out to help) that I almost had to stand right in front of them to
> cast it. I stood in my NORMAL attacking spot but kept seeing 'your target
is
> out of range' then I was amazed that I had to move in almost half way from
> my normal position before the bandits were in range.
>
> Soloing with an enchanter is tough enough, but when my casting range is
cut
> in half it makes it even less productive. I didn't die but I did end up
> taking them out in melee (which is a no no for casters anyway).
>

> Anyone else notice your casting range decreased ?
> (The lag on the server was higher than normal but I don't think that would
> have caused it)
>

> Asuna
> Quellious

^Arakiel^

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
>Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in
resists.

Today, I was finding it harder than ever to actually root things. This has
been a trend for me in the past few days, and I asked a higher level Ranger
if he noticed the same for Root, and he answered yes.

Usually, I can root a Deepwater Caimand or Croc on my first or second try,
today I gave up on it and started using Burst of fire in conjunction with
Arrows.

Could just be me, but Root/Snare seems a lot less effective, and gets
resisted a lot more.

-A

Peavy420

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
>Today, I was finding it harder than ever to actually root things. This has
>been a trend for me in the past few days, and I asked a higher level Ranger
>if he noticed the same for Root, and he answered yes.
>
>Usually, I can root a Deepwater Caimand or Croc on my first or second try,
>today I gave up on it and started using Burst of fire in conjunction with
>Arrows.
>
>Could just be me, but Root/Snare seems a lot less effective, and gets
>resisted a lot more.
>
>-A

stop whining start a wiz and then you can complain

Brimlord

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
I too have noticed an increase in Magic Resistance of the Mobs.

I was within a group on Oasis on Povar and we encountered a Deepwater Goblin
Pet. We killed it after some difficulty. My spells were just bouncing off of
it.

A little while later another one showed up and we killed it handily. Everyone
of my spells took and did damage.

Dylani
Magi of the 16th Tier of Kelethin
Povar, currently in Freeport

Beeyar

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
As a level 19 magician I went to sol a last night and my lvl 12 shock of
blades was hitting for full damage 3 of 4 times on young goblins (blue),
cinder goblins (red),and cinder goblin shamans (yellow or red). Max damage
on the spell is only 35 but it was all I had not fire based. Also fire based
were only resisted by reds and partial by yellow so I hit for 94
occasionally.

Asuna <wa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm hearing alot more about /blue and /green cons that are resisting
spells
> left and right. My enchanter is only lvl 15 so I haven't fought any of the
> really tough MoBs. Probably the toughest thing i've fought was a scarecrow
> and I've noticed OVERALL my spells will hold (usually my 2nd casting
attempt
> holds if the first fails).
>
> Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in
resists.

J. Eric Townsend

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
"Asuna" <wa...@hotmail.com> writes:
> Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in resists.

I thought it was just my imagination.

With my L9 necro, it seems that "Ward Undead" often does less damage
to a green skele than to a blue. It used to do 38HP every time, now
it occasionally does 6 or 12.

--
J. Eric Townsend -- http://www.spies.com/jet
looking for: Art of Noise and Kraftwerk videos, state generated

John Henders

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
In <sy6emeq...@spies.com> j...@spies.com (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>"Asuna" <wa...@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Just wondering if ALOT of people are noticing a DRASTIC increase in resists.

>I thought it was just my imagination.

>With my L9 necro, it seems that "Ward Undead" often does less damage
>to a green skele than to a blue. It used to do 38HP every time, now
>it occasionally does 6 or 12.

I logged in to play my L49 bard last night for the first time in a
while, as Cerf.net had another one of it's outages, taking down all the
new servers, and I noticed a huge number of resists on the chains song
(bard's version of snare) on Kizdean Gix, who is most definately green
to me. Even got resists from a couple of wisps. This never used to
happen.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

Bedouin

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Hmm, I've noticed this also. Its funny how a green's MR acts like a reds...
Maybe its an unannounced nerf because/to prevent Higher lvls KSing from the
lower ones?

Not sure, I didn't notice if it was just the greens resisting more... I just
thought they screwed up
casting in general. Because I fizz like a pop and my spells off MoBs like my
charm does to...

err I said what I needed to hehe

Bedouin the druid
Quillious

John Henders wrote in message
<7ukqip$j02$1...@00-c0-df-64-11-c6.bconnected.net>...

Des Herriott

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:50:00 GMT, Gordon Chapman <gor...@climax.co.uk> wrote:
> Not hugely, but I did burn 700 mana trying to smite a willowisp
> yesterday in Befallen (it still didn't die, I ended up having to gate
> as it wouldn't leave me alone to let me med - just comes up, hits you
> and fucks off, you HAVE to kill it with magic unless you fancy chasing
> the damn thing through the entire dungeon)

You should have rooted it, or failing that, holy might/stunned it. And
then meleed it to death, trivial for a 27th cleric.

> Bearing in mind that I'm lvl 27 and it's lvl 12, you'd have thought
> that magic resistance wouldn't have played a part, but when an 85
> damage spell is constantly connecting for 25 damage, you have to
> wonder what the hell they're playing at.

I haven't noticed wisps resisting my smites for a long time (I'm 26th),
perhaps the Befallen wisps have unusually high magic resistance? Last
time I was down there was about 6 levels ago, I don't remember any
particular problems then...

--
Des Herriott, Oracle Corporation UK Ltd.
dher...@uk.oracle.com

Gordon Chapman

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
On 29 Oct 1999 13:03:39 GMT, dher...@uk.oracle.com (Des Herriott)
wrote:

>You should have rooted it, or failing that, holy might/stunned it. And
>then meleed it to death, trivial for a 27th cleric.

All roots resisted, all stuns resisted, believe me I tried.

>I haven't noticed wisps resisting my smites for a long time (I'm 26th),
>perhaps the Befallen wisps have unusually high magic resistance? Last
>time I was down there was about 6 levels ago, I don't remember any
>particular problems then...

It does only seem to be the befallen wisps and they do only seem to be
giving me aggro in the past few levels (i.e. after a patch).