How many manastone users leaving EQ today?

Sinen

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
(nt)

Marc Fuller

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Sinen wrote:

> (nt)

Well, if any of you are leaving on Bristlebain, please remember to hand all your
stuff to the first person you pass. It'll just make their day, especially if it
happens to be me.

Marc Fuller

Yizan Yizzersist

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Actually, I think this question brings up a great point. If one item is
that powerful that such high level characters would chuck all their fun
times and hard work only supports Variant's point-of-view. The manastone is
too sweet of an item.

What Variant has done is fix something I bet they are kicking themselves for
ever making. It is too powerful an item. Yeah, I don't have one and so I
am not in your boat. But I still think they should be downplayed. Variant
changes things players want all the time. And, yes, they are sometimes
gonna change things they want but players don't.

So, if all the manastone players leave, please do Variant one last favor
before you go, take your manastones with you. I am sure they would
appreciate you helping them fix their bad decision to ever make them in the
first place.

Sinen <a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> (nt)

Jeremy Music

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

Yeah, for any server. If you are deleting a character or canceling your
account, spread the wealth. :)

(imagining a L50 at the gates of Qeynos handing out SMRs and FBSSs)
Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

hughes

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
> Actually, I think this question brings up a great point. If one item is
> that powerful that such high level characters would chuck all their fun
> times and hard work only supports Variant's point-of-view. The manastone
is
> too sweet of an item.

/e sigh. a manastone changes your med downtime. It reduces it by about a
5th if you have chloroplast , so instead of waiting 10 minutes to
regenerate all your mana it takes 8 . The stone is uber valuable only
because it no longer drops. When they still dropped it was a nice item for
very high level magicusers but nowhere near as valuable as a haste sash or
yk . However that damn two minutes adds up . It takes how many kills to
gain a bubble of experience? 10? 15? even if it is just 10 for 50 to a
level (it is more )
that would be over an hour and half saved per level. The damn thing wasnt
in the least bit broke, and they should just make it drop again. So far i
think they made a horrid mistake removing the manastone , ruby ,jboots ,
the guise and the box . All of them where a reasonable reward for the
creature killed. There was a bug with the box dropping off of the wrong
creature. big deal fix the damn bug and keep the box.

Instead of nerfing the steel loot which was appropriate for the level of
monster killed, fix the monsters that are very poor . 25pp per dwarf on
average may be too high but an average of 3pp per cyclops is way too low.
.

Dorian Brytestar

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Not me..
--
Dorian Brytestar
Lvl 47 High Elf Cleric of Tunare

Jeremy Music

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
hughes <hugh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Actually, I think this question brings up a great point. If one item is
>> that powerful that such high level characters would chuck all their fun
>> times and hard work only supports Variant's point-of-view. The manastone
>is
>> too sweet of an item.
>
>/e sigh. a manastone changes your med downtime. It reduces it by about a
>5th if you have chloroplast , so instead of waiting 10 minutes to
>regenerate all your mana it takes 8 . The stone is uber valuable only
>because it no longer drops. When they still dropped it was a nice item for
>very high level magicusers but nowhere near as valuable as a haste sash or
>yk . However that damn two minutes adds up . It takes how many kills to
>gain a bubble of experience? 10? 15? even if it is just 10 for 50 to a
>level (it is more )
>that would be over an hour and half saved per level. The damn thing wasnt
>in the least bit broke, and they should just make it drop again. So far i
>think they made a horrid mistake removing the manastone , ruby ,jboots ,
>the guise and the box . All of them where a reasonable reward for the
>creature killed. There was a bug with the box dropping off of the wrong
>creature. big deal fix the damn bug and keep the box.

This I can agree with completely. The rubicite, jboots, manastone, guise
and box weren't broken, they just sped peoples progression, mainly in
downtime (ruby, manastone, box) and travel (boots). I still don't really
get the guise at all. I think the darkies just complained too much.

>Instead of nerfing the steel loot which was appropriate for the level of
>monster killed, fix the monsters that are very poor . 25pp per dwarf on
>average may be too high but an average of 3pp per cyclops is way too low.

This, slightly unfair to the newer and slower people, but the dwarves
rightfully switched to a better cheaper weapon and I'll bet the dwarven
purchasing agent that found that deal got a hefty bonus. If this were
balanced by druids carrying nicer weapons for a while, possibly having the
effect of having more people play the evil races, then it would be a
roleplay issue and not a nerf issue. Verant needs a creative writer doing
the patch message. :)

Technologically this game is amazing, creatively it suffers somewhat. I
would love to see a little more "play" from Verant, a little less
defensiveness. If they ever decide to actually "play" again, hp and mana
regen will go up and exp loss to death will go down and we'll all have a lot
more fun.

Dan Bongard

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

Not enough. :)

-- Dan

Dan Bongard

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
"hughes" <hugh...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>> Actually, I think this question brings up a great point. If one item is
>> that powerful that such high level characters would chuck all their fun
>> times and hard work only supports Variant's point-of-view. The manastone
>is
>> too sweet of an item.

>/e sigh. a manastone changes your med downtime. It reduces it by about a
>5th if you have chloroplast , so instead of waiting 10 minutes to
>regenerate all your mana it takes 8 .

Wrong. It takes 8 minutes to regenerate your _health_. Your
_mana_ comes back in a fraction of that time. This opens up
a world of exploits if you are a cleric, or have access to
fast healing.

-- Dan

Shrike

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Sinen wrote:

> (nt)

Probably, nowhere near enough...

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Druid in Fennin Ro, Griffin Snack.

Rhialto, Enchanter in Fennin Ro, Ruby-waster Extraordinaire.

"Remember, you reap what you SoW"

Dorian Brytestar

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Sorry, it takes me over 8 minutes to get all my MANA back. Not health, I have a rubi
BP and it takes quite a while to get back to FM with 190 WIS.

--
Dorian Brytestar
Lvl 47 High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Povar
"Dan Bongard" <dbon...@netcom.com> wrote in message

Ecwfrk

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
In article <867qmt$dqu$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, a...@hotmail.com
says...

Something similar to

> Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
> My mana exploit is gone and I don't have the skills or personality
> to bring anything else to the game!! Now no one will like me! I'm quitting!!

Obviously if an item was that damn powerful that not having it makes
people feel the game is unplayable, it should be removed entirely.
Hell, many people feel that it was more of an caster cleric combo
exploit.
I'd say leave the existing stones but remove the infinite charges
(replace it with a decent, but fair amount of charges) and add a good +
to int to make the item worthwhile once the item is drained.

*Casts endure fire*

Michael F.

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
Perhaps you wouldn't be so generous with the possessions of others if you
had camped for the manastone yourself for over 20 hours.

"Ecwfrk" <ecw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan Bongard

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
"Michael F." <nob...@nowhere.com> writes:

>Perhaps you wouldn't be so generous with the possessions of others if you
>had camped for the manastone yourself for over 20 hours.

Do you need to borrow a hankie?

-- Dan

Karl King

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
that is the type of thing they are trying to stop.....
its such an overpowered item its pathetic...it makes the people who own one
soo powerfull that others are willing to spen hours upon hours getting that
one item just to have it....
it is getting to the point that you arent a good caster without it...you need
it to keep up with others who have it....and so everyone camps for countless
hours just to get one..... and really..... is it *that* much fun to camp for
20+hours.... they are trying to make the game more balanced and fun....

i suppose you want to be able to beocme powerfull enough to kill lady vox solo
as well..... nothing but a powerleveler...

i pity you

*casts endure fire*
*ducks*

VioletRex

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
>>Perhaps you wouldn't be so generous with the possessions of others if you had
camped for the manastone yourself for over 20 hours.

I understand the thought here. The item was valuable and earned by the players
who had them.

On the other hand, it was an item that new players have almost no chance of
getting.

The Everlore pole has a majority of players stating that the manastone should
have been removed from the game entirely.

To keep it in the game, but with limits, was a compromise by Verant for those
who had earned it.

I'm sure most players would not want this game to end up like the Magic card
games with older players having many goodies that new players can no longer
have.

Would you rather had the manastones moxed or axed rather than nerfed?

Not being able to use the manastone in the whole of Kunark is a bit
restrictive, but kicking the item out of the plains was simply a fairness
isssue.

VR

Ecwfrk

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
In article <388A87F8...@home.com>, kjd...@home.com says...

> that is the type of thing they are trying to stop.....
> its such an overpowered item its pathetic...it makes the people who own one
> soo powerfull that others are willing to spen hours upon hours getting that
> one item just to have it....
> it is getting to the point that you arent a good caster without it...you need
> it to keep up with others who have it....and so everyone camps for countless
> hours just to get one..... and really..... is it *that* much fun to camp for
> 20+hours.... they are trying to make the game more balanced and fun....
>
> i suppose you want to be able to beocme powerfull enough to kill lady vox solo
> as well..... nothing but a powerleveler...

Not really fair to label everyone complaining a power leveler. But
basicly what Gordon has said was that they never thought about the way a
manastone and a cleric put with a mana stone could operate as an
unlimited mana battery. When they did start seeing it they pulled the
item. The problem is, in this case it wasn't the camping of the item, or
that the item was to powerful for the level that it was obtainable, or
just so damned cool everyone wanted one (although that was part of it
too) like Rubi was. The problem was that in the right hands it was
something of an exploit.
That's why they should do something like change the Manastones in the
game to something like having 10 charges of Clarity and a nice (like +5
or 6) boost to Int. That would make it still a very nice item (that
I'm sure many people right now would pay 3000p or camp for 20 hours for
like some people said they did for their old Manastones) but with the
finite charges and the fact that it's no longer dropped would cause it to
eventually devaluate itself and become a non issue to the game.