High level Magicians - Are there any?

Mitosis

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Now, I am currently playing on some newer servers, but I am wondering
how useful a magician is to a group above level 20 or so? My lvl 8
gnome mage on Rodcet Nife has been fun up until now, but I do not see
that many spells which will be that helpful to the group in the
future. I have also found that my pets will not attack mobs which are
yellow or red to me. Thus, for all of lvl 7, I did not summon my pets
in a group, and simply took the roll of standing back and casting
along with the wizards.

My basic frustration: My higher lvl offensive spells will not be as
effective as the wizard, and my pet will run away from the red or
yellow mobs my group is trying to attack. Can any higher lvl
magicians comment on what they can do for a group? Is my coward pet
only a problem with low level summonings? Will I use a pet with
higher level groups?

And no, I don't consider being the food supply for a group to be very
exciting.

Please help me decide on whether I should continue with my magician,
or bit the bullet and create a gnome wizard?

Meiosis
Rodcet Nife

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Mitosis wrote in message <3732e4ac.6883423@news>...

>Now, I am currently playing on some newer servers, but I am wondering
>how useful a magician is to a group above level 20 or so? My lvl 8
>gnome mage on Rodcet Nife has been fun up until now, but I do not see
>that many spells which will be that helpful to the group in the
>future. I have also found that my pets will not attack mobs which are
>yellow or red to me. Thus, for all of lvl 7, I did not summon my pets
>in a group, and simply took the roll of standing back and casting
>along with the wizards.
>
>My basic frustration: My higher lvl offensive spells will not be as
>effective as the wizard, and my pet will run away from the red or
>yellow mobs my group is trying to attack. Can any higher lvl
>magicians comment on what they can do for a group? Is my coward pet
>only a problem with low level summonings? Will I use a pet with
>higher level groups?

At level 11 my pet would attack yellow creatures. I had the same problem as
you when I was level 7, so perhaps it was just our level 4 summoned
creatures. Strangely, now at 12, my pet will not attack willowisps. It will
fight them if they attack me, though.

>And no, I don't consider being the food supply for a group to be very
>exciting.

Your offensive spells aren't bad, and you can jump in and attack a bit also.
You can cast flame shield on the tanks too.

>Please help me decide on whether I should continue with my magician,
>or bit the bullet and create a gnome wizard?

Wizards do the most direct damage, but you need to play in a group at higher
levels. Magicians are better for soloing, IMO, and still contribute to a
group -- at least at level 12.

JubJub McRae

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Fri, 07 May 1999 13:23:32 GMT, neme...@remove.hotmail.com
(Mitosis) wrote:

>Now, I am currently playing on some newer servers, but I am wondering
>how useful a magician is to a group above level 20 or so? My lvl 8
>gnome mage on Rodcet Nife has been fun up until now, but I do not see
>that many spells which will be that helpful to the group in the
>future. I have also found that my pets will not attack mobs which are
>yellow or red to me. Thus, for all of lvl 7, I did not summon my pets
>in a group, and simply took the roll of standing back and casting
>along with the wizards.
>
>My basic frustration: My higher lvl offensive spells will not be as
>effective as the wizard, and my pet will run away from the red or
>yellow mobs my group is trying to attack. Can any higher lvl
>magicians comment on what they can do for a group? Is my coward pet
>only a problem with low level summonings? Will I use a pet with
>higher level groups?
>

>And no, I don't consider being the food supply for a group to be very
>exciting.
>

>Please help me decide on whether I should continue with my magician,
>or bit the bullet and create a gnome wizard?
>

>Meiosis
>Rodcet Nife

Magicians are screwed up after 20th level. Our 24 and 29 level pets
are research only (good luck finding all those words), and there is no
sign of any pets existing after those levels. Plus, as we increase
in level, what we can summon besides pets quickly starts to become not
more than worthless baubles and unsellable junk. However, with a
little tuning, the class will remain great after 20th, so don't lose
hope alltogether.

As for the pet running away - it's always a problem at the cusp
levels, but decreases in severity as you level - it's awful at 7th,
bad at 11th (they'll start attacking some red cons then), better at
15th... 8th and higher pets seem to almost never run from yellow cons
at the cusp levels at least. In higher level groups, your pet becomes
an invaluable, powerful DoT spell (weaker than necro's pets in
practice, which is ridiculous given all else necros get, but not
dreadfully so), an extra tank to absorb damage, a personal bodyguard
to keep the baddies off you when you start to burn etc.

I love being a magician, and would never even consider being a wizard.
If you are not sure, try both, see which you like - it was easy for
me, because I knew I wanted a magician before I even began playing the
game. Now, I still want to be one, I just want to be a magician and
still be viable after L20.

Dolm

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99

I my magician just recently leveled from 7 to 8. I am certainly NOT
high level but I think I can offer some words here...

The new pet at level 8 is MUCH more powerful then the one you get at
4th. Me and my pet are now always attacking yellow and reds and have
yet to lose! And the pet has yet to run from the fight, unliek the
weaker 4th level Elementalkin. I am taking down things I would not even
have considered at all at 7th.

Shock of blades hits consistantly for 31 points and fire bolt smacks em
for 41. I have to med a lot more at 8th then I did at 7th due to the
drain of these nice spells.

Overall, my power has at least doubled from the transition from level 7
to 8. I am already half way to ninth after only one short evening of
play time...so I am getting experience much faster then I did from 7 to
8th level.

From what I have heard, you will expect some difficulty with your pet at
the last level you have him before you can summon a more powerful one.
So I would expect that level 7 is hard (it was for me) and level 11
*might* be difficult as well.

Just make sure you level to 8th and try him out before you dump your
magician!

-- Dolm

Mitosis

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Fri, 07 May 1999 15:16:15 GMT, mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com
(JubJub McRae) wrote:

<snip original post>

>Magicians are screwed up after 20th level. Our 24 and 29 level pets
>are research only (good luck finding all those words), and there is no
>sign of any pets existing after those levels. Plus, as we increase
>in level, what we can summon besides pets quickly starts to become not
>more than worthless baubles and unsellable junk. However, with a
>little tuning, the class will remain great after 20th, so don't lose
>hope alltogether.

This was my point exactly! And by the way I did make it to lvl 8, and
certainly there was a significant difference from lvl 7. But judging
by the fact that magicians above lvl 20 have responded, seems to me
that they are rare indeed. I will not give up my magician yet, but I
am concerned about his future.

Has ANYONE in the newsgroup researched a higher level pet??

Meiosis

Lute Lewis

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
I've got 2 bubbles till I get lvl 20, and I like it so far. The level
before you get your new spells is always the hardest. It took me 2 weeks to
go from 15 to 16, but 1 week to go from 16 to 19. From my experiences,
magicians are "out of battle" casters, meaning most of our spells are not
meant for direct combat. People are always asking for summoned weapons, as
some monsters (unrest) can only be hit by them. I'm rarely seen as a food
source as higher level players seem to be smart enough to buy a lot of food
and drink. I didn't know that 24+ pets are research only, but I just got
"Words of the Element" in unrest yesterday, so if you look and ask around
I'm sure you will find it. I've only seen about 2 or 3 magicians higher than
me (Rellos Zek) so as you get into these upper levels you will be wanted by
other players because there are very few of your class. For levels 1-16 you
can do very well in akanon, for levels 16-18 you should kill legionaires and
what not in crushbone, after that you could theoretically get to 30+ in
unrest, but that would be boring. Good luck.

Mitosis <neme...@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message