Patch Message 10-8

Bradmeister

Oct 8, 2001, 9:16:07 AM10/8/01
>>If a character kills an NPC and that NPC does not give them experience,
then the Trivial Loot Code takes effect.<<

I know TLC is a touchy subject here, but just wanted to share my experience.

The above sentence is not *entirely* true. I've had my little gnome necro in
the Warrens for the past few days, and noticed this interesting fact. There
were times where I would not get xp from a mob, and a "this kill was
trivial" message popped up. Then, there were times when I would not get xp
from a mob, and got *NO* trivial message.

Now, thinking about this, could it be that the ones I killed had no loot
that TLC affected? The kobolds drop molars which are no-drop, but not every
kobold has one. I suppose that could be why I received the message on some
and not on others. Either way, I thought it was an interesting fact to share
with the group.

--
"Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson
afterwards."

Gortha Strongwill <Infinitus Vindicat>
Dwarven Warrior of 27 seasons
Prexus server

(remove "ao" to email any responses)

Remove second .com to send email

Oct 8, 2001, 9:51:45 AM10/8/01
>There
>were times where I would not get xp from a mob, and a "this kill was
>trivial" message popped up. Then, there were times when I would not get xp
>from a mob, and got *NO* trivial message.
>
>Now, thinking about this, could it be that the ones I killed had no loot
>that TLC affected? The kobolds drop molars which are no-drop, but not every
>kobold has one. I suppose that could be why I received the message on some
>and not on others.

I believe this is the way it works... if you kill a mob that is trivial to
you, you'll only see that trivial message if that mob has magical loot on it.
When you see that message, the server removes the magical loot from the corpse.

Lance

Oct 8, 2001, 11:40:27 AM10/8/01

DaFox wrote:

> October 8th, 3:00 am
>
> *** Miscellaneous Changes ***
>
> - The last language used by your character will be stored in your eqclient.ini file
> when you log out. This means that if the last character you were playing was
> speaking Elvish, then when you log back in with any character, that character will be
> speaking Elvish if he can, otherwise it will be set to a default language (most often
> Common).

A little annoying, actually, but we so rarely use any language but common that
it won't have much affect on blue servers. I imagine this was done for the Zeks
and for FV?

> *** Magic System Changes ***
>
> There is a more detailed explanation of these changes posted on our Developer's
> Corner. Please visit there for more details (either at www.everquest.com or
> http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/everquest/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi). Here is a
> summary of the changes:
>
> - The level-based spell resistance bonus inherent in super-high level NPCs has been
> reduced significantly.
>
> - Several NPCs have had their resistances reduced. Each of them was examined
> carefully, and resistances changed as seemed appropriate. For some of these NPCs
> other things were changed as well to compensate for their increased susceptibility to
> spells, such as armor improvements or perhaps greater hit points, if needed for that
> NPC.
>
> - NPCs that were highly magic resistant in order to make them immune to certain
> spells can now be given specific immunity to those spells. This means that they can
> be made immune to critical spells, as intended, and still be generally less resistant
> to magic. Players will receive a message similar to the one that is already given
> for Mesmerization spells when they cast a spell on an NPC that it is specifically
> immune to.
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE: It is very important to note that we have not made any NPCs immune
> to spells that they were not already immune to. Many NPCs that were previously
> immune to spells due to their high innate resistance to magic have had that
> resistance reduced and specific immunities added. So if you see an immunity message
> after attempting to cast a spell on an NPC that you hadn't seen such a message from
> before, understand that the NPC was already immune to that spell before due to high
> resistances, and the only difference is that it now has lower resistances in general
> and specific spell immunity (which is why you are seeing the message).

Despite them saying later that they haven't yet addressed the spell classes, this looks
like a big fix for the end game casters. Course it -might- be a nerf, if those supposed
immunities were previously capable of being overcome via high level Tash/Malo combo
resist debuffs... but it looks like it was aimed at Uber mobs that really weren't
castable on whether this was attempted or not.

> *** Melee Changes ***
>
> After extensive research, testing, and evaluation we have completed the melee portion
> of our class balancing. To be clear, these changes apply just to the combat aspect
> of melee classes. Any issues with non-combat skills, spell effects, spell selection,
> or non-combat aspects of classes will be evaluated in the near future. With the
> completion of the melee combat balancing, we will be moving onto spells and spell
> casting classes.
>
> Due to the extensive nature of these changes, we can't describe them in detail here.
> A detailed summary will be available on our Developer's Corner message board. Please
> visit www.everquest.com and our forums for more information.
>
> * Summary of Melee Changes *
>
> - Two-Handed Weapons have been given an increased damage bonus for characters over
> level 50. Also, certain post-epic quality two-handers have been improved.
>
> - Warriors have had their taunt skill cap increased to 230 at 60th level. Also, the
> Blades of Strategy and Tactics can now be used in either hand.
>
> - Rogues, as the primary user of piercing weapons, will benefit from an improvement
> in the quality of a few existing high-end daggers. At some future date new piercing
> weapons will be added to the game to fill gaps in equipment availability.
>
> - Monks will now be on an improved combat table at levels 55 and again to a better
> table at 60. Monks now have the ability to Triple Attack at 60th level. The minimum
> damage done by Flying Kick will be greatly increased for monks starting at 51st level
> and scaling up to level 60. We also intend to add more monk weapons in the future to
> fill equipment gaps.
>
> - Rangers have their Double Attack skill cap raised to 245. They have also gained an
> innate offensive bonus that starts at level 55 and increases until level 60.
> Ranger's Defense skill cap has been raised to 220, and their Riposte skill cap has
> been raised to 185.
>
> - Paladins and Shadowknights, besides the benefits they gain from the two-handed
> weapons change mentioned above, have also been moved to the same combat tables as
> warriors. In the future we intend to examine the existing one-handed weapons useable
> by knights for possible upgrades. We are also increasing the Taunt skill cap for
> these two classes to 220.
>
> - Bards have had their 1h blunt and 1h slash skill caps increased to 250. Their
> piercing skill cap has been increased to 240. Their Offense skill cap has been
> raised to 252. Bards are also being moved to the same combat table with all the
> other melee and hybrid classes (save monks who have separate tables after level 55).
> Bards Parry skill cap has been raised to 185 as well. Finally, the Singing
> Shortsword can now be equipped in the off hand and still give full song enhancing
> benefits.

Changing caps means that most of these improvements are aimed strictly at the
high end game. I suppose in this case this makes sense, since most people
agree that all classes are worthwhile up to the fifties, when things have been
reduced to Cleric/Warrior/Enchanter versus "some other guys of limited use"

Still, I wish they'd looked more at ways to make the 51 paladin, or whatever,
more useful, instead of principly the 60. I guess the change in combat
table is meant to accomplish this?

> *** Firiona Vie (Roleplaying Preferred) server goes Live ***
>
> Our newest special rules server is now available. Firiona Vie is designated as
> roleplaying preferred. There are many special rules for this server, please read
> over them carefully before playing. We will be keeping an updated list of these
> rules on our web site at http://everquest.station.sony.com/guidebook/firionavie.jsp .
>
> ** Firiona Vie Server Feature List **

> - Characters will be wiped before the server goes Live.

didn't edit this line, eh? Its live now! Characters have been wiped.

> ** A Tale from Norrath **
>
> Adventurers, glory seekers, and plunder-hungry knaves,
>
> A few new tavern tales have been circulating from across the Deep. It appears that
> strife and civil unrest have once again plagued the lands of Kunark. Stories of
> treachery and terror within the ranks of the Sarnak have spilled forth from the
> mountain fortress of Chardok.

Looks like Chardok has been changed. Why? This wasn't one of the
lanquishing unoccupied zones!

There are any number of zones almost noone visits, why not put your efforts into
working on those instead?

Bergh Brelltender
52 Vicar, Morel Thule

Dream King

Oct 8, 2001, 1:12:45 PM10/8/01
Lance <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>DaFox wrote:
>
>> October 8th, 3:00 am
>>
>> *** Miscellaneous Changes ***
>>
>> - The last language used by your character will be stored in your eqclient.ini file
>> when you log out. This means that if the last character you were playing was
>> speaking Elvish, then when you log back in with any character, that character will be
>> speaking Elvish if he can, otherwise it will be set to a default language (most often
>> Common).
>>

>A little annoying, actually, but we so rarely use any language but common that
>it won't have much affect on blue servers. I imagine this was done for the Zeks
>and for FV?

I'd like to see them do the same for your default say. Everytime I log
in I have to change it to Group. Ugh. Particularly annoying after going
LD.

>Looks like Chardok has been changed. Why? This wasn't one of the
>lanquishing unoccupied zones!
>
>There are any number of zones almost noone visits, why not put your efforts into
>working on those instead?

Not sure about your server but on mine the only reason anyone goes into
Chardok is to do epic quests. I think it's a good change in theory. I'll
wait until I've been there to say how it is in practice.

Leo Johnson

Oct 8, 2001, 1:35:35 PM10/8/01

Dream King wrote:

> Lance <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>

> >DaFox wrote:
> >
> >> October 8th, 3:00 am
> >>
> >> *** Miscellaneous Changes ***
> >>
> >> - The last language used by your character will be stored in your eqclient.ini file
> >> when you log out. This means that if the last character you were playing was
> >> speaking Elvish, then when you log back in with any character, that character will be
> >> speaking Elvish if he can, otherwise it will be set to a default language (most often
> >> Common).
> >>

> >A little annoying, actually, but we so rarely use any language but common that
> >it won't have much affect on blue servers. I imagine this was done for the Zeks
> >and for FV?
>
> I'd like to see them do the same for your default say. Everytime I log
> in I have to change it to Group. Ugh. Particularly annoying after going
> LD.

Don't quite understand why some people change to group. /g works just
as well for me. I could see maybe if spamming a language, but it sounds
as though at least on FV that this is now pointless. /g makes it easier
for me to switch methods of speaking easier, especially after leaving a
group, or in another zone because you died and have to run back etc.
This is the method most people i have run across seem to use as well.

--

Cthulhu Loves Me
Author unknown:

Cthulhu loves me, this I know
For the High Priests tell me so
He won't eat me, no not yet
He's our Lord, all dank and wet

Mark A. Rimer

Oct 8, 2001, 1:57:57 PM10/8/01
"DaFox" <Super...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> - Rogues, as the primary user of piercing weapons, will benefit from an
improvement
> in the quality of a few existing high-end daggers. At some future date
new piercing
> weapons will be added to the game to fill gaps in equipment availability.

Huh? I just want my damn Moss Covered Twig back...
;-)

<wonders how it would be when dual'ing RB in the offhand with
it's inherant 40% haste, too...>
/snicker

Dream King

Oct 8, 2001, 3:01:23 PM10/8/01
Leo Johnson <le...@home.com> wrote:

>Dream King wrote:
>> I'd like to see them do the same for your default say. Everytime I log
>> in I have to change it to Group. Ugh. Particularly annoying after going
>> LD.
>
>Don't quite understand why some people change to group. /g works just
>as well for me. I could see maybe if spamming a language, but it sounds
>as though at least on FV that this is now pointless. /g makes it easier
>for me to switch methods of speaking easier, especially after leaving a
>group, or in another zone because you died and have to run back etc.
>This is the method most people i have run across seem to use as well.

Because I group a lot and use group say much more than normal say and I
dislike having to remember to type /g all the time, which is why I set
it. It's should be settable so you can set it once and forget it.

Matt Frisch

Oct 8, 2001, 10:46:44 PM10/8/01
On Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:16:07 GMT, "Bradmeister" <bradm...@hot.roar.com>
scribed into the ether:

>>>If a character kills an NPC and that NPC does not give them experience,
>then the Trivial Loot Code takes effect.<<
>
>I know TLC is a touchy subject here, but just wanted to share my experience.
>
>The above sentence is not *entirely* true. I've had my little gnome necro in
>the Warrens for the past few days, and noticed this interesting fact. There
>were times where I would not get xp from a mob, and a "this kill was
>trivial" message popped up. Then, there were times when I would not get xp
>from a mob, and got *NO* trivial message.

It is my understanding that the firiona vie trivial loot code is different
than the code implemented in stonebrunt/warrens on the other servers.

Celaeno

Oct 9, 2001, 7:05:27 PM10/9/01
You will not evade me, DaFox <Super...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>:

>- The last language used by your character will be stored in your eqclient.ini file
>when you log out. This means that if the last character you were playing was
>speaking Elvish, then when you log back in with any character, that character will be
>speaking Elvish if he can, otherwise it will be set to a default language (most often
>Common).

I noticed something interesting with this last night: apparently,
playing a character that can't speak the 'set' language won't reset it
to common; the only thing that changes it appears to be the /lang
command, or making a character on Firiona Vie...
When I logged in last night, I created a FV halfling druid in case I
ever feel like playing there, got the third of the three name
alternatives I wanted to try to get, didn't log in (not a fan of level
1 zergling rushes), switched to EMarr, logged in my gnome to check
something, talked to someone, logged in my dark elf to change some
hotkeys, talked to someone, logged in my wood elf druid, talked to
someone and was met with puzzlement. Turned out my druid was trying to
use her below average skill in Halfling to communicate with the world,
while my gnome and dark elf, who have no knowledge of halfling, had
been happily using common.

Personally, I think the language in eqclient.ini should be reset to
common when you're playing a character that can't speak the requested
language.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal wanderer of Erollisi Marr

Celaeno

Oct 9, 2001, 7:05:28 PM10/9/01
You will not evade me, morp...@cent.com (Dream King):

I'd like a way to set it with a text command instead of having to
switch through screens to change it.

Vladesch

Oct 8, 2001, 10:24:27 AM10/8/01
> - Several NPCs have had their resistances reduced. Each of them was
examined
> carefully, and resistances changed as seemed appropriate. For some of
these NPCs
> other things were changed as well to compensate for their increased
susceptibility to
> spells, such as armor improvements or perhaps greater hit points, if
needed for that
> NPC.
>
> - NPCs that were highly magic resistant in order to make them immune to
certain
> spells can now be given specific immunity to those spells. This means
that they can
> be made immune to critical spells, as intended, and still be generally
less resistant
> to magic. Players will receive a message similar to the one that is
already given
> for Mesmerization spells when they cast a spell on an NPC that it is
specifically
> immune to.

Must try soloing guller in a few hours. maybe i can hit him snare or root,
and it will be all over.
If so, wurmslayers will flood the market and the price will plummet.