"THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE, INTENTIONAL OR OTHERWISE TO NECRO PETS"

Pegasus

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Hmmmmmmmm, Didnt we tell him this...and to think he called us Paranoid!!
Said it was all in our heads....
all I can say is You OBVIOUSLY dont know your game.

BEFORE
Abashi again stated on the Gameplay forum that Necromancer's pets have not
been altered in the last patch. Here's his post:
Your post claiming necros are paranoid about nerfing simply doesn't reflect
the fact easily demonstrated BY PLAYING THE GAME. Boot up your mid 40s necro
Abashi and try playing him. Then tell us your pet hits as fast and can tank
as well as he used to.
Let me be clear: THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE, INTENTIONAL OR OTHERWISE TO NECRO
PETS.

Seriously, as hung up as people are on numbers, don't you think that if
there had really been a change that someone would have come out and said,
"Damn you Verant! My pet used to be able to do X damage per minute and now
does Y." Yes I've tested it. Yes I've looked at the data. Yes I've looked at
their hitpoints. Some people are saying they have less hitpoints and have
the same delay, other people are saying they have the same number of
hitpoints and have a longer delay. NONE OF THIS HAS HAPPENED.

While I'm on the subject, we didn't downgrade augment, raise the cap on
delays, or generally increase the strength of your test NPCs either to make
it appear that necro pets were nerfed.

I imagine that there is a small group of people that thinks if they complain
enough about it that we'll just go in and make the pets more powerful
without testing it out for ourselves. The rest of the people complaining
about it are either making it up, going with the flow, or suffering from the
online version of the placebo effect. Quit trying to deceive us and let us
spend some time on dealing with issues that really exist.

AFTER

http://boards.station.sony.com/everquest/Forum4/HTML/016577.html

From EQ Message Board:

More on Necromancer Pets
In an interesting turn of events, Verant's Gordon Wrinn acknowledged that
something may be wrong with Necromancer's pets. Abashi posted the following
message on the Gameplay forum:
Aye, that seems to be the key.
In order for Necro pets to dual wield, it must wield two DIFFERENT weapons
(e.g. FS dagger and regular dagger.)
And since our pets cannot be armed, dual wield will never kick in, and thus
our pets will never get quad attacks.
I think you may be onto something. It appears now that necro pets aren't
dual wielding unless they are equipped with two weapons. It's easy to test
this with a piercing and a slashing weapon. This could also be affecting
mage pets, and could explain also why some necros felt their pets got weaker
after the last patch.

GZ and I are going to chat wiht the programmer when he gets back from lunch.
Has anyone noticed that NPCs no longer hit as much as they should? I'm
wondering if whatever problem this is may have affected NPCs across the
board or just pets.

-Gordon

Pin

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Eventually Gordon gave in and recognized he was wrong.. Now they are going after
the problem procatively to fix it.

Its shitty that a user had to find the problem; but its good that Verant
listened... Much better than the alchemy thing.. much much better.

Pegasus

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Not really, This just goes to show how good there "IN HOUSE" quality testing
actually is. Rather Sad I'd say.

Devast

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Uhhh, yeah. Verant listened alright and then called their customers
paranoid in a rather insulting manner. Now that they found out their
customers are right...no apologies or anything.

And you said "proactive"??? Correct me if I'm wrong but proactive would
have been testing before hand, not ignoring the voice of those who play,
stating emphatically that they are all wrong and have no idea what
they're talking about and then coming back a week later and saying there
may just be a problem.

Oh, one more thing. I hear they ARE NOT going to actually fix it.
They're just going to do a workaround (I would expect no less from
Verant developers as it is the norm) and make it so mage pets now work
like necro pets instead of actually fixing the problem. In affect
another nerf to necos.

Face it, we're nothing but a cash cow for those losers. Damn I wish I
could hate the game as much as I hate the morons who run it.

In article <3891ADF9...@erols.com>,

Pin <rbi...@erols.com> wrote:
> Eventually Gordon gave in and recognized he was wrong.. Now they are
> going after the problem procatively to fix it.
>
> Its shitty that a user had to find the problem; but its good that
> Verant listened... Much better than the alchemy thing.. much much
> better.
>
> Pegasus wrote:
>
> > Hmmmmmmmm, Didnt we tell him this...and to think he called us
> > Paranoid!! Said it was all in our heads.... all I can say is You
> > OBVIOUSLY dont know your game.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Inraka D'Malice

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Well, the mistake that Gordon made there was that necro pets wouldn't dual
wield nuless they had a weapon either. Yep, they muffed up on saying there
was no problem with the mage pets. But I have not noticed my skeletons
being any weaker. Of course, I do not have before and after comparison logs
to check... I just have my gut fealing that my pet fights just as well now
as it it did a week ago. Your milage may vary.

Pegasus <sp...@spam.spam> wrote in message

> Hmmmmmmmm, Didnt we tell him this...and to think he called us Paranoid!!
> Said it was all in our heads....
> all I can say is You OBVIOUSLY dont know your game.
>

> And since our pets cannot be armed, dual wield will never kick in, and
thus

Gordon Wrinn

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
I still stand by this. The dual wield issue even concerning necro pets
(e.g. having to give them two weapons to get them to dual wield) has always
been there, with the rest of the NPC code. When I said this:

"This could also be affecting
mage pets, and could explain also why some necros felt their pets got weaker
after the last patch."

we were still in the investigation phase and were trying to determine if it
was a recently introduced issue, or whether it had been there all along.

-Gordon

Gordon Wrinn
Internet Relations Manager
Verant Interactive, Inc.
www.verant.com - www.everquest.com

Eric Schnoor

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
"I imagine that there is a small group of people that thinks if they
complain enough about it that we'll just go in and make the pets more
powerful without testing it out for ourselves. The rest of the people
complaining about it are either making it up, going with the flow, or
suffering from the online version of the placebo effect. Quit trying to
deceive us and let us spend some time on dealing with issues that really
exist."

-Gordon Wrinn

What about that one Gordon? The one where you make us players sound like
we're not trying to get this game fixed but we're trying to all undermine
the system and cheat our way to the top? I'm sure some are, but you pretty
much said that we don't know what we're talking about. What am I saying?
There's no "pretty much" about it, you said exactly that.

And while I'm here, how about THIS one taken from Casters Realm:

Q: "Now don't laugh at this. This is a serious complaint I have and I want
an answer on it. Who designed the human plate helm model? Who?!? This person
needs a serious refresh in design. OMG it's terrible!! Please ask them to
change it. Immediately. "

A: I've always liked it.

-Gordon

Can you PLEASE just answer a simple question? I mean I think generally
people don't want your opinion on things because you always answer what
things "should" be and not what they actually are. I mean time and again
(and I wish I could find THIS post) "paladins and shadow knights are how we
envisioned them in the game," and then BAM, "we've decided that we need to
change them". OR "mage pets are fine, you're all stoned and should listen to
us," and then ZAP "ummm... it looks like there are some problems with mage
pets.." And my all time favorite (although not YOUR fault in particular)
"there is nothing wrong with alchemy." No one cares that you like human
plate helms, they (and the high elf ones for that matter) make my eyes bleed
from looking at them and this guy wanted to know who made them (I'm assuming
the same guy was responsible for both) and if his opinion could be passed
on. Do that.

Eric

TG

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Eric,
Agreed on all points. I'm getting highly irritated with some of Gordon's
derogatory and belittling responses to PAYING CUSTOMERS. Gordon needs to
keep in mind we are players and he is an employee of Verant now (and a
player). If I'm in game, see Gordon as a player and tell him he sucks then
he can tell me I suck back;however, if i'm calling or e-mailing Verant
outside the game regarding a bug, customer service issue, etc. and Gordon is
replying, he should be calling me sir and saying "thank you. we will look
into that, etc., etc., etc.". If I talked to my customers in the
condescending way Gordon comes across in some of his posts, my customers
wouldn't accept it. Why should we?

TG

Dorian Brytestar

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
You are right, I would much rather they fix the problem of NPCs not getting dual
wield and double attack unless they are a monk or have weapons in both hands.

Well, that is what "fixing" it would be according to them.

How exactly is making mage pets stronger nerfing Necros?

--
Dorian Brytestar
Lvl 47 High Elf Cleric of Tunare

:
: Pin <rbi...@erols.com> wrote:
: > Eventually Gordon gave in and recognized he was wrong.. Now they are

: > going after the problem procatively to fix it.
: >
: > Its shitty that a user had to find the problem; but its good that

: > Verant listened... Much better than the alchemy thing.. much much
: > better.
: >
: > Pegasus wrote:

: >
: > > Hmmmmmmmm, Didnt we tell him this...and to think he called us

: > > Paranoid!! Said it was all in our heads.... all I can say is You
: > > OBVIOUSLY dont know your game.

:
:
: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.
:

Malcindar

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
"TG" <tgi...@activitypos.com> wrotd:

...<snip>... I'm getting highly irritated with some of Gordon's

>derogatory and belittling responses to PAYING CUSTOMERS. Gordon needs to

>keep in mind we are players and he is an employee of Verant now...<snip>...

Uh, sure, but you're only paying $10 a month, which is hardly a king's
ransom. And the fact is, many paying customers spout idiotic drivel.

Look, there are plenty of things wrong with EQ, and I hope Verant pays
more attention to well-reasoned arguments in newsgroups, but the idea
that they should be obsequious to customers paying $10 a month is
loony.
Malcindar
--
Malcindar
aka Wurm the Troll Shaman on Luclin

Eric Schnoor

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
I think that it would be better if they looked at it like we were one giant
customer. Sure, in McDonalds, you can tell that ONE customer that is only
paying 3.68 or whatever to go screw if they bitch about the food because
it's only ONE customer. They can do the same thing in eq, but the whole
point of customer relations is that they realize that a LOT of us might get
pissed and leave and THAT equals a lot more money than 10 dollars a month.
Wow, all those bolded words, I feel like Dvorak.

Eric

Malcindar <malc...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Pegasus

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
thor Topic: Gordan would you care to comment on your statements about
pets?
tsg_darth
Station Member posted 01-28-2000 04:41 PM
----
Gordon,
OK, I will try and make this simple and to the point. I have just been
informed that mage pets are to receive weapons in order to resolve a bug
with duel wield. Here are my issues. I have heard, and understood the
reasoning behind just changing all the code and how it will effect ALL NPC'
s. Does this mean unless Necromancers give their pets weapons they will not
duel wield and double attack? The second problem lies in that obviously pets
are considered NPC's. With that said, will allowing the mage pets to duel
wield/ double attack with the attack delay of the weapons effect ALL NPC's?
I can just see it I am camping a gnome guard, someone else want the spawn
spot. They offer 50pp to a newbie gnome to go hand the guard a fs dagger and
a normal dagger so he will whoop my but and he can take over the spawn? I
understand these are not MAJOR concerns but they do worry me, not as much as
my next point does though. You have made comments regarding how Mage and
Necromancer pets make them unique. Mages can summon four different
elementals that have the ability to cast spells. Necromancers have the
ability to equip their pets and heal them. Well as for the healing that has
now been taken away with the addition of mage pet healing spells added in a
recent patch. So what are Necromancers left with? Equipping their pets? OK
this is a great unique characteristic to have. Well now that is being taken
away from us as well grr.. You have said yourself that class uniqueness is a
commodity. You are now taking that away from Necromancers whether it is to
fix a bug or not I find it unacceptable. Will Necromancer pets get to cast
fire based DD spells like a drybone skeleton or take the form of other
undead, like a mummy, specter, or even a lich at higher levels? Probably
not. Is this just going to be another scenario where we are going to have to
suck up and deal, or are there any plans to do something with Necromancer
pets that will once again make them unique? Please note I am not referring
to the differences to a mage or a necromancer as a whole, I am strictly
referring to the distinctness of our pets. Just to refresh your memory I
enclosed one of your previous statements and highlighted your critical
statements in bold face type. Care to comment?

Gordon and Necro Pets
Community News [ 11:15 PM PST ] - Alethal
Found this on the EverQuest Message Boards:

Why doesn't Verant enhance Necromancers with a variation of pets like Mages
have. Mages get four pets to choose from, each with unique abilities. This
is very conveniant to independance in the world, and also lends to being
desirable to a group. Now I am not saying that Mages are overpowered or
underpowered. And yes I am jealous that they get pets that look different,
and have different abilities. Why? It lets the Mage form a personality. Why
not give this ability to the Necromancer?
Though your ideas are certainly well thought out, this issue was actually
considered a while back. Magicians are supposed to be the master summoners.
That is why they get multiple pet types that can adapt to the situation at
hand. As I'm sure you will agree given your note about being jealous,
<b>class distinction is a commodity</b>, and the ability to summon different
pets is one commodity owned by the Magician. Not to mention, I shudder at
the idea of making Necro pets any more powerful.

<b>There is something that Necro's get, that's the ability to arm their
pets. </b>

-Gordon

TG

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Malc,
I've spent $120 on this game since I got it (includes the original
purchase of the software plus monthly fees). So my $120 doesn't mean shit
heh? I think it means you better treat me with respect if you want to get
more money out of me for the update and more monthly fees. I'm not one of
these "kewl d00ds" with grammatically incorrect lamer rants cursing Verant
because "they suck". I'm a level-headed polite customer who expects the same
thing in return whether I'm buying spending $1000 or $ 1. Somehow I'm not
suprised you are a troll Malc. 8)

TG

Martin Roberts

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Another thing that Gordon might take into consideration is that a good bit
of the more pointed criticism that Verant has recieved has come from players
who are not 10 year olds playing on their Daddy's money but from customers
who are skilled in their professions, have a good understanding of computers
and gaming issues, and in many cases know as much about these things as the
folks Verant hires to make this mess. To ignore the issues they raise and
lump them all in the "Die Verant Die" crowd is to ignore a highly important
resource which if properly utilized could make this a much better game. A
less defensive group of people would find this feedback to be invaluable and
would go out of their way to cultivate and use it. Unfortunately, Gordon
and through him Verant seems to find any criticism dangerous and rather than
listening seeks to defend an indefensible mess. Far better if Verant were
to admit their mistakes, listen, do what they can to correct them, and use
their customers as a sounding board to detect these unexpected problems.
Also Gordon needs to realize that when people stop complaining they will no
longer be interested in this game and will not be playing it. At present he
and Verant are running the risk of alienating a very valuable resource, that
once aroused will not be easily won back.

In closing let me say that the main reason I chose EQ over Asheron's Call,
which from a programming and management standpoint is probably a better game
was that I found the players in EQ more intelligent, better gamers, and
generally more mature than the crowd that I met in the AC beta. At present
these players more than make up for the technical failings of this game,
however, there will come a time when other better programed and administered
games will be available and at that point I will have to reevaluate this
choice, especially if one of these games is run by the folks at Black Isle
which I have found in the past to be both well run and very player friendly.
TG <tgi...@activitypos.com> wrote in message