DEATH.ZIP Worth It

tdi...@hamp.hampshire.edu

Apr 2, 1994, 5:17:45 AM4/2/94
Here's another endorsement for the wad file called DEATH.ZIP
located at the obligatory ocf.unt.edu. It does have a couple bugs in
it, but none too serious. It ios a large and fairly complicated replacement
for e1 m1. I had a great time playing it and recoend it highly to others.

Charles F. Marsh

Apr 2, 1994, 6:57:42 PM4/2/94
tdi...@hamp.hampshire.edu writes:

DEATH? YEEECH! I finished downloading that today, and it is junk. First of
all, there are no new additions to it unlike STONES.WAD (which is a whole
new level), there are just a thousand more cyberdemons and other enemies
in it. And for these thousand and one cyberdemons you need at least 12MB
of RAM to keep your hard drive from having a nervous breakdown.

STONES.WAD is what I find a good level. I hate ones like DEATH which are
only filed with the KEWLEST weapons and the KEWLEST bosses.
--
_______________ Charles Marsh, a.k.a VO1VZ
[-] |- == =======::| Email: cma...@calvin.stemnet.nf.ca

Scott Coleman

Apr 2, 1994, 8:35:32 PM4/2/94
cma...@calvin.stemnet.nf.ca (Charles F. Marsh) writes:

>tdi...@hamp.hampshire.edu writes:

>> Here's another endorsement for the wad file called DEATH.ZIP
>>located at the obligatory ocf.unt.edu. It does have a couple bugs in
>>it, but none too serious. It ios a large and fairly complicated replacement
>>for e1 m1. I had a great time playing it and recoend it highly to others.

>DEATH? YEEECH! I finished downloading that today, and it is junk. First of
>all, there are no new additions to it unlike STONES.WAD (which is a whole
>new level), there are just a thousand more cyberdemons and other enemies
>in it. And for these thousand and one cyberdemons you need at least 12MB
>of RAM to keep your hard drive from having a nervous breakdown.

Uh... are we talking about the same DEATH.WAD?

It sounds to me like you got DEATH1.WAD and/or DEATH2.WAD by mistake.
These are earlier remakes of the standard E1M1 with item changes (i.e.
lots more badass monsters). The DEATH.WAD we're raving about is a
completely NEW from-scratch level. It bears absolutely no resembelance
to the description you posted. It's unfortunate that the name chosen for
this cool new level was so similar to the earlier ones, as it clearly
causes confusion.

You owe it to yourself to have another look, at the RIGHT file. ;-)
--
Scott Coleman tm...@uiuc.edu
President ASRE (American Society of Reverse Engineers)

0015...@ysub.ysu.edu

Apr 4, 1994, 1:50:36 AM4/4/94
In article <genghis.765336932@ilces>
OK, I've downloaded death.zip, but how the hell do I get anywhere? Are we
talking about the death.zip that starts you off in a little square room with
4 teleporters and then teleports you to a very dark room with lots of more
teleporters and impaled twitching guys? I cannot get anywhere with this. Its
very frustrating. I even started cheating and used iddt to see the map, and it
didn't help a damn bit. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

0015...@ysub.ysu.edu

Apr 4, 1994, 6:59:17 AM4/4/94
In article <16F8EBDF...@ysub.ysu.edu>

0015...@ysub.ysu.edu writes:

>OK, I've downloaded death.zip, but how the hell do I get anywhere? Are we
>talking about the death.zip that starts you off in a little square room with
>4 teleporters and then teleports you to a very dark room with lots of more
>teleporters and impaled twitching guys? I cannot get anywhere with this. Its
>very frustrating. I even started cheating and used iddt to see the map, and it
>didn't help a damn bit. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Never mind, I think I found the right one. For future reference, there are two
DEATH.ZIPs on ocf.unt.edu. One is in the /pub/doom/wads/episode1 directory and
the other is in the pub/incoming directory. The one in the incoming directory
right now is the one you want. I don't know where it'll end up. The one in
the incoming directory (the good one) is like 17566 bytes or something. The
other one is only 14755 long. So, get the longer one. Hope this helps.

JERRY "J-RAY" MORELLI | "THE PROBLEM WITH THE FUTURE IS THAT IT KEEPS
0015...@YSUB.YSU.EDU | TURNING INTO THE PRESENT" - BILL WATTERSON

Terry Evans

Apr 4, 1994, 11:25:25 AM4/4/94

I'm sorry over the name conflict with the death.wad name. I originally made
my death.wad file and the sameday it was announced that somebody else had
uploaded another death.wad file also. I am the one that made the death.wad
file that is the completly new level (although small) that starts you off in
in a room with 4 teleporters in it.

0015...@ysub.ysu.edu wrote:
: In article <16F8EBDF...@ysub.ysu.edu>

: 0015...@ysub.ysu.edu writes:
:
: >
: >OK, I've downloaded death.zip, but how the hell do I get anywhere? Are we
: >talking about the death.zip that starts you off in a little square room with
: >4 teleporters and then teleports you to a very dark room with lots of more
: >teleporters and impaled twitching guys? I cannot get anywhere with this.
: >Its very frustrating. I even started cheating and used iddt to see the map,
: >and it didn't help a damn bit. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

When I originally made the level all there is is what you see when you do
the iddt cheat. It is a small level, but I intended it to be used for
deathmatch play. I can't stand looking for somebody for 20 minutes just
to be able to frag him :-).

:
: Never mind, I think I found the right one. For future reference, there are two

: DEATH.ZIPs on ocf.unt.edu. One is in the /pub/doom/wads/episode1 directory and
: the other is in the pub/incoming directory. The one in the incoming directory
: right now is the one you want. I don't know where it'll end up. The one in
: the incoming directory (the good one) is like 17566 bytes or something. The
: other one is only 14755 long. So, get the longer one. Hope this helps.

The one that I made (the original level) is in the pub/incoming directory.
I tried to put it in the episode1 directory at the time, but I got a
permission denied error.

: *************************************************************************

: JERRY "J-RAY" MORELLI | "THE PROBLEM WITH THE FUTURE IS THAT IT KEEPS
: 0015...@YSUB.YSU.EDU | TURNING INTO THE PRESENT" - BILL WATTERSON
: *************************************************************************

After I made the level I realized that after you pick up a shotgun then
you can never get any more shells until you die. That means you can only
have 8 shots. If you are going to use it in a real deathmatch game you will
probably want to sprinkle some boxes of shells around for the players to
find.

BTW, if you like the looks of the level please let me know and I'll work
on some more! Also, if you don't like it let me know what you are looking
for. Mild flames are okay.

Terry
tev...@cs.utah.edu

tdi...@hamp.hampshire.edu

Apr 4, 1994, 3:16:43 PM4/4/94
I originally rercommended Death.zip in this thread and just
to pipe in again it is a compressed file of 17,920 bytes. It replaces
ep1 m1. At the very opening there is a small room, striaght ahead
there are three boxes of shotgun shells. Another identifying
feature si that most of the level is composed of different levels
accessible mainly by elevators.

Anyway, I thought that was a good one, but even better still
is MEGAWATT available at ocf.unt.edu. This level is unbelievable,
as good or better than any level in the original. Get it.

-TBD