***OCF.UNT.EDU NEWS***

Barry Bloom

Apr 7, 1994, 9:29:58 AM4/7/94
Greetings...

Just a reminder.. the DOOM only FTP at ocf.unt.edu /pub/doom

A few notes on the /pub/incoming directory:

1. Please compress anyfile that is not a text file.

2. Use a DOS naming convention for uploads (no Foo_BAR_Foo.bar.foo names)

3. Use news for conversations. (grid wad stuff :))

4. Please include a .txt file so I know where to put your upload.

NO one maintains wuarchive /doomstuff like I maintain ocf. Please help
me provide everyone with a better DOOM only FTP.

Any files not following the above conventions will have a two week life
span in /incoming and then will be deleted.

Thanks!

--
ba...@noc.unt.edu I am convinced that UFOs exist
Modem strings for doom? Send email. because I've seen one

Tony Nugent

Apr 9, 1994, 8:39:01 PM4/9/94
ba...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Barry Bloom) writes:

>Greetings...

Hi!

>Just a reminder.. the DOOM only FTP at ocf.unt.edu /pub/doom

[...]

>NO one maintains wuarchive /doomstuff like I maintain ocf. Please help
>me provide everyone with a better DOOM only FTP.

And ain't THIS the truth!

Keep up the good work mate! :-)

>ba...@noc.unt.edu I am convinced that UFOs exist
>Modem strings for doom? Send email. because I've seen one
>DOOM only FTP: ocf.unt.edu /pub/doom -Jimmy Carter

Cheers
Tony
--
/--------------------------------------------------------------\
/ _ \ Tony Nugent Email: T.Nu...@sct.gu.edu.au \ _

Barry Bloom

Apr 14, 1994, 8:44:41 PM4/14/94
Greetings,

Well, the FTP server upgrade is finished. Everytime I read a complaint
about OCF being too busy, I cringe and wish for the old days. However,
just so everyone know what is going on...

Basically, OCF got so popular that to many people were logging on. The
old FTP server allowed an unlimited number of users. Around sixty or
so, OCF crashed. This was deemed "bad" and something had to be done.

The only alternative was to install the more resource hungry FTP server.
This server hits heavier on the ram and cpu of OCF. In order to balance
the public access aspect of OCF with the FTP, some pretty low limits had
to be put in place during peak hours.

The current limits are 35 users from Midnight to 7am and 15 the rest of
the time. It is likely this will change as we observe this new server in
action. I expect that during the day we will be able to go up to 20-25...

With that news I would like to propose the creation of DOOM-NET.
Basically, this is a way to keep a central distribution site for doom 3rd
party hacks and insure the most people have the most access. Here's what I
propose:

1. The mirrors of OCF have no \incoming directory for public uploads
2. I continue to maintain and organize the files on OCF and the
mirrors update daily.
3. The list of mirrors be compiled by one of our lovely FAQ guys
(JVE or Ian, or even Hank) and posted.

Number one is the only "NEW" thing. I am concerned about losing the
central nature of OCF. By having only one incoming directory on
DOOM-NET, it makes it possible to keep this consistency. So, with this,
I need a few things. First, does this sound reasonable to everyone. I
like doing what I am doing, and I love DOOM. I hate having to make OCF
restricted, so this is the only way I can see to make everyone happy.
Second, even if it doesn't, could whoever is running the mirror sites
please contact me so we can talk about this. Even if you are opposed to
this idea, I would still like to include you on the "OFFICIAL" DOOM FTP list.

Either way, mirror site operators please contact me with information
about your site. Anyone with information about mirror sites please
contact me. This stuff may be in a FAQ, so tell me, but please, I don't
have enough time to answer all my mail and keep up with the every
changing FAQs and HELP files, so no FLAMES for God's sake! :)

Regis Burek

Apr 15, 1994, 7:46:59 AM4/15/94
Yes!! that would ensure that new stuff would get to * ALL * the mirror sites.

Is/could there be a problem with some people not being able to get to ocf.unt.edu?

Regis Burek (showing a complete lack of inet understanding)
regis...@jhuapl.edu

C Mohr

Apr 16, 1994, 12:03:48 AM4/16/94
In article <2oko1q$k...@hermes.unt.edu>,

Barry Bloom <ba...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>1. The mirrors of OCF have no \incoming directory for public uploads

The only problem i have with this is its been 7days since you last moved any
files out of the incoming directory (as of last night anyway). For most of
us this is unacceptable, espcially since new stuff is coming out everyday.
If you could cut the time down to 1 or 2 days (1 prefered ;]) I could see
this as much more fesable. (I must say with this current situation ocf has
undergone I had started to look for a spare machine to call the new doom
home, but I dont have one I feel I can dedicate right now..)

-CM

Alan Squires

Apr 16, 1994, 3:05:57 AM4/16/94
In article <2ono34...@flop.engr.orst.edu>,

C Mohr <mo...@storm.cs.orst.edu> wrote:
>In article <2oko1q$k...@hermes.unt.edu>,
>Barry Bloom <ba...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>>1. The mirrors of OCF have no \incoming directory for public uploads
>
>The only problem i have with this is its been 7days since you last moved any
---<snip>---
>-CM

Not to demean or otherwise criticize _anyone's_ efforts, but......

If it is not "Connection refused", it is 100% packet loss (server down?).

Maybe an alternate _full_ mirror is in order. I would certainly
volunteer to do so, except that I am long distance to the nearest
service provider.

als

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alan Squyres (409) 756-7741 VOX (9-5 M-F) a...@hounix.org

Message has been deleted

ti...@sparky2.sps.mot.com

Apr 18, 1994, 1:57:45 PM4/18/94

hey dork face you should be GRATEFULL that barry does the great job he does.
now shut up and go away. barry, put the 'call blocking' on the BOZO

Tom Neff

Apr 18, 1994, 3:05:30 PM4/18/94
In message <CoGt5...@sernews.raleigh.ibm.com> - esse...@gold.tc.umn.edu writ
es:

>Perhaps you'd rather try to connect to wuarchive and then get into
>/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games/doomstuff and look through a million files.

You don't have to look through a million files, just go "ls -lt". New ones
right on top. "ls -ltR" does it for the subdirectories too. And if you have
a proper FTP client like ncFTP (cse.unl.edu:/pub/mgleason after 5pm CDT), you
can pipe the result through your pager. You can also get into wuarchive
effortlessly, but nevermind about that :-)

--
Tom Neff tn...@panix.com ...!uunet!tneff!panix

Jim Pitts

Apr 18, 1994, 3:44:40 PM4/18/94
In article <2ono34...@flop.engr.orst.edu>,
C Mohr <mo...@storm.cs.orst.edu> wrote:
>In article <2oko1q$k...@hermes.unt.edu>,
>Barry Bloom <ba...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>>1. The mirrors of OCF have no \incoming directory for public uploads
>
>The only problem i have with this is its been 7days since you last moved any
>files out of the incoming directory (as of last night anyway). For most of
>us this is unacceptable, espcially since new stuff is coming out everyday.
>If you could cut the time down to 1 or 2 days (1 prefered ;]) I could see
>this as much more fesable. (I must say with this current situation ocf has
>undergone I had started to look for a spare machine to call the new doom
>home, but I dont have one I feel I can dedicate right now..)
>
>-CM

Check out infant2.sphs.indiana.edu. I'll keep this site up until OCF is back
on line (assuming they still want the job after the flames die down).

I put most of the common stuff over there and almost all the wads on
wuarchive there as well. Also, I put what I think is the current FAQ's
there as well. If I am missing something, tell me or upload it yourself.

I'll make a point of checking several times a day for new stuff to move
to the appropriate directories.

Thanks!

PS. People at ocf.unt.edu, thanks for the doom ftp server. I hope your
system problems are resolved soon. I hope this helps out. Let me
know if I can do anything to help you get back up and running.
--
- pi...@mimosa.astro.indiana.edu ^ | James J. Pitts -
- Most people are sheep. /@\ | IU Physics Dept -

dave

Apr 18, 1994, 3:56:22 PM4/18/94
tn...@panix.com (Tom Neff) writes:

I have to agree with Jerky here. I can get on wuarchive any time
but ocf is so moody I can rarely ever get on. Doesn't even connect.

Chris Auld

Apr 18, 1994, 4:20:48 PM4/18/94
Title says it all. Posting to alt.binaries.doom would also be nice.

--
Chris Auld
Department of Economics

Jeff Cochran

Apr 20, 1994, 8:59:56 PM4/20/94
RB> Is/could there be a problem with some people not being able to get to ocf
RB> du?

Like since about the 15th of April, it won't accept Anonymous logins.

Jeff

* WCE 1.5/2239 *

Sven Neuhaus

Apr 17, 1994, 6:52:12 AM4/17/94
The problem with OCF is that it will not be a reference site for much
longer if people cannot access it to upload their stuff there.
Maybe you should add a public accessable account that only has access
to 1 directory where the person can upload. (And not download).
If so, you should make sure the files in that directory get move into
a publicly accessible incoming dir every 30 mins or so.

-Sven

--
Sven Neuhaus, CS student at University of Dortmund, Germany/\Internet for
Netrek, Doom & Empire addict.PGP key available upon request@@ the masses!