Screenshots & Demos

Derek Merrill

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96
to dan...@istar.ca

Dan MacDonald wrote:

> Is there any way to save screenshots and demos onto your system so that
> you can print them or view them or set them as your background (Or inthe
> demo's case, your screensaver? Please tell me.
>
> DASH

If you want a screen shot of something to be made into a good quality
picture, here some steps:

[1] Record a DEMO (hit <F5>) of what you are intersted in.
[2] Play the demo back (via the menu) (-- optionally with D2 set at a
higher resolution) (the demo allows you more frame by frame
control).
[3] Take a screen shot of what you want (hit <Print Screen>) This will
save the picture to a file SCREEN00.PCX.
[4] Using Paintbrush in Windows open SCREEN00.PCX and save it as a
SOMENAME.BMP file.

If you feel the picture is too small or too dark:
[5] Get a freeware program like LView (try this:
http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/s.m.williams.bcm/images/viewers.html)
[6] Using LView or other, change the gamma correction to brighten it
(this is easy don't worry) and resize the image to fit your desktop
(the software is designed for doing this)
[7] Set the file as your background using the Control Panel, or print
it,
or add it to your nifty homepage.

gee, hope this helps,
Derek (aka Defiant!)
Derek Merrill, der...@goodnet.com http://www.goodnet.com/~derekm
Computer Science & Engineering Dept's Phone Dept's Fax
Arizona State University, Tempe AZ 85287-5406 (602) 965-3190 965-2751

Dan MacDonald

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

CHRIS HEBERT

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96
==========

Dash, they are already on your system (screenshots, that is) as soon as
you hit that "print screen" button. They are stored as .pcx files in
your root D2 directory. Simply use any shareware/freeware graphics
converter (like Graphics Workshop) and convert the .pcx file to a .bmp
file and move the screenshot to your Windows directory (for WFW 3.11,
not sure where for Win95) and you can use it as a desktop background.
You can print either file type. Just use Graphics Workshop (or
something similar) to enlarge it first. I don't know how you can
convert a demo to a screensaver, though.

Chris
CajunAce

Jim Husband

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

Dan MacDonald <dan...@istar.ca> wrote:
>Is there any way to save screenshots and demos onto your system so that
>you can print them or view them or set them as your background (Or inthe
>demo's case, your screensaver? Please tell me.

F5 Starts/Stops Demo recording and PrtScreen will save the current
screen as a PCX file (if you're under Win95 you need to alter the
program settings to allow Descent to see the keypress). The F5 &
PrtScr works in the Full versions - I really don't remember about the
SW.

The screensaver isn't a bad idea at all - someone may have done
it. I'd look on Pooterman's Site - and follow links as needed. It may
already exist.

http://www.pooterman.com/descent.html

Yama