DSVD voice/data modem info

Jeff Atwood

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Hello all,

Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems
(specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.

First of all, these things actually work. I guess I've been around computers
so long that it's amazing when a product actually lives up to the hype. Here's
the scoop for those of you that are interested.

First, you must append -SSE=1 to your AT command; this enables DSVD mode. It's
off by default. Otherwise the modem acts like a "normal" V.34 modem in every
way.

When a data/voice connection is initiated, the handset is muted. Then, after a
brief pause while the modems connect, there is a short scratchy noise, a
series of beeps, and then BAM! you're connected via the modem and you can
talk, too. The full duplex voice channel is fairly clear. That's not to
say that it's crystal clear, but there is little or no loss in voice
quality, just a little scratchiness around the edges. Sometimes I got a
strange "echo" effect on my end, but the voices were still relatively clear.

According to USR, 9.6kbps goes to the voice channel and 19.2kbps goes to the
data channel. However, we were getting around 2300 cps for data transfer while
talking, so the voice channel can't be taking up very much or else it's being
compressed.

At any time during the connection, you can hang up the phones, which closes
the voice channel and the data channel gets full 28.8kbps. This does indeed
work; once we hung up, our transfer rate went up to about 2650cps.

During a data connection, if you pick up the phone, the modem "rings" on the
other end. The phone itself does not ring; just the modem. And you hear a
ringing tone on the handset. Once the person on the other end picks up the
handset, there is a short scratchy sound and then you're talking to the other
person again. The transfer rate goes back down to 2300cps or so.

Furthermore, we played an extensive (2+ hour) game of Duke Nukem 3D over the
modem while talking to each other, and had no problems at all. I'm very
impressed with this product!

One of the nicest things about it is that you can effortlessly switch between
voice, voice/data, and data. It struck me while transferring files and doing
other collaborative things with the person on the other end that this was just
a far more natural way to work with modems. You can really walk someone
through sending you a file, or tech support, or just get more work done rather
than resorting to a second line for the same effect-- assuming that the people
on both end have a DSVD enabled modem. Suffice it to say that I
am very satisfied with the product!

Now, for the questions.

1. Will DSVD modems from different manufacturers work together? The documents
I could find related to this on the WWW seem to indicate "yes," that any modem
branded DSVD follows the DSVD spec and will interoperate. Anyone know for
sure?

2. What's this I head about ASVD and the other technologies that are to
"supersede" DSVD? Fortunately, this USR model is the only Sportster that has
flash ROM, so I assume that USR will keep me current.

Any comments or questions welcomed! And of course I do not in any way represent
or work for USR.

Jeff Atwood
JAt...@a.crl.com

Ching-Ho Cheng

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Jeff Atwood (jat...@a.crl.com) wrote:
: Hello all,

:
: Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems
: (specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.
: ..............................
:
: Now, for the questions.

:
: 1. Will DSVD modems from different manufacturers work together? The documents
: I could find related to this on the WWW seem to indicate "yes," that any modem
: branded DSVD follows the DSVD spec and will interoperate. Anyone know for
: sure?
:
: 2. What's this I head about ASVD and the other technologies that are to
: "supersede" DSVD? Fortunately, this USR model is the only Sportster that has
: flash ROM, so I assume that USR will keep me current.
:
: Any comments or questions welcomed! And of course I do not in any way represent
: or work for USR.
:
: Jeff Atwood
: JAt...@a.crl.com

Jeff,

You should post this one to comp.dcom.modems, not here.

CHC

ToutSuite

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
[long-winded commercial deleted]

> Any comments or questions welcomed! And of course I do not in any way represent
> or work for USR.
>
> Jeff Atwood
> JAt...@a.crl.com

You don't? Are you sure about that?

--
----------
tout...@aol.com

The Ed Wood of .WAD builders: "You say it's the worst level you've ever
played? Well,
my next one will be better!"

Neil Carr

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96

>Jeff,

>You should post this one to comp.dcom.modems, not here.

>CHC

Actually this posting is very pertinent here. So many games are going
multiplayer that knowing about a new feature like this is important
for players.

Anyway, here is a question about the modem: Were you using this over
the internet, or were you just making a local call? If things are
that smooth over the internet, then in a couple of years all Kali
users (or whatever is used at that point) are going to be really
interacting. More importantly, in a couple of years you won't need to
use long distance to talk to anyone, everyone will have the modems.

Neil Carr
ca...@tony.bc.edu
ca...@bcvms.bc.edu

Doug Woodard

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
ca...@tony.bc.edu (Neil Carr) wrote:

>Actually this posting is very pertinent here. So many games are going
>multiplayer that knowing about a new feature like this is important
>for players.

>Neil Carr
>ca...@tony.bc.edu
>ca...@bcvms.bc.edu

I agree with Neil. The post is pertinet as long as we do not get too
involved with tech issuses.

Doug

E H. Walker

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96

I wonder what happens when you try a DSVD modem and set it to "chat mode" on
Kali if everyone can hear each other...Hmmmmm

JCat

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
jat...@a.crl.com (Jeff Atwood) wrote:

>Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems
>(specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.

I'm not familiar with *how* the DSVD modems actual manage to
transfer the voice stream (although it sounded almost as if the voice
was "packaged" in with the balance of the data stream). I'm wondering
if you had a DSVD -> non DSVD -> DSVD, whether the non-DSVD modem
would preserve the voice portion of the transmission. Specifically,
I'm wondering about the use of DSVD modems across the 'Net. If it
requires "pure" DSVD connections, then Kali / Milk / Game Connection
players would be SOL.

JCat

The Arcader

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 02:28:33 GMT, ca...@tony.bc.edu (Neil Carr) wrote:

>Anyway, here is a question about the modem: Were you using this over
>the internet, or were you just making a local call? If things are
>that smooth over the internet, then in a couple of years all Kali
>users (or whatever is used at that point) are going to be really
>interacting. More importantly, in a couple of years you won't need to
>use long distance to talk to anyone, everyone will have the modems.

Since DSVD is a protocol between two modems you would not be able to
use the Voice feature of DSVD over the internet.

Internet Phone and other assorted knock-offs are ways that you would
be able to communicate with someone without using 'long distance'.

The Arcader
=------------------------------------------------------------=
The Arcader NEOPG, Inc.
=------------------------------------------------------------=

John Williamson

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
h...@coe.neu.edu (Ching-Ho Cheng) wrote:

>Jeff Atwood (jat...@a.crl.com) wrote:
>: Hello all,
>:

>: Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems

>: (specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.

>: ..............................
>:
>: Now, for the questions.
>:
>: 1. Will DSVD modems from different manufacturers work together? The documents
>: I could find related to this on the WWW seem to indicate "yes," that any modem
>: branded DSVD follows the DSVD spec and will interoperate. Anyone know for
>: sure?
>:
>: 2. What's this I head about ASVD and the other technologies that are to
>: "supersede" DSVD? Fortunately, this USR model is the only Sportster that has
>: flash ROM, so I assume that USR will keep me current.
>:

>: Any comments or questions welcomed! And of course I do not in any way represent

>: or work for USR.
>:
>: Jeff Atwood
>: JAt...@a.crl.com

>Jeff,

>You should post this one to comp.dcom.modems, not here.

>CHC

I have been considering this getting modem to play DOOM, DUKE and
hopefully QUAKE. This is exactly the type of information I want to
know. It seems appropriate for this news group.

Joseph Bush

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
> Cool posting. I was curious as to the quality of these and whether or not
> they worked. Glad to know that they do. Now, I can play network C&C and
> I don't have to worry about typing in all those messages. Of course, first
> I have to buy a DVSD modem, then I have to convince my friends to buy one
> also. :)

Or there is a replacement serial driver for Doom and one for DN#D is
coming next week. Don't know about others, but they are probably
around. It allows you to use a full duplex soundcard to talk back and
forth. Supposedly with no delay in the game. I believe that the
record/send part is programmed for the Pentium. Haven't tried it on my
486 yet, but it sounded interesting.

--
jos...@ifi.uio.no|If God censored we wouldn't be here!
I am a hamburger!!|Or maybe he just loves a good joke!?

bain...@packet.net

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
jat...@a.crl.com (Jeff Atwood) wrote:

>Hello all,

>Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems
>(specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.

>First of all, these things actually work. I guess I've been around computers

>Now, for the questions.

>1. Will DSVD modems from different manufacturers work together? The documents
>I could find related to this on the WWW seem to indicate "yes," that any modem
>branded DSVD follows the DSVD spec and will interoperate. Anyone know for
>sure?

>2. What's this I head about ASVD and the other technologies that are to
>"supersede" DSVD? Fortunately, this USR model is the only Sportster that has
>flash ROM, so I assume that USR will keep me current.

>Any comments or questions welcomed! And of course I do not in any way represent
>or work for USR.

>Jeff Atwood
>JAt...@a.crl.com

WOW. I have never heard of that ... WAIT, my Bitsurfr PRO allows me
to connect at 115k bonded, and then pick up the phone and CALL anyone.
The Bitsurfr PRO drops to 56k, and once I hang up it re-bonds to 115k.
Even allows incoming calls when I am bonded ... BTW the calls ARE
crystal CLEAR!

Smoke Crack and Worship Satan

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g2uk6$m...@siesta.packet.net>, that nutty bain...@packet.net wrote:

> WOW. I have never heard of that ... WAIT, my Bitsurfr PRO allows me
> to connect at 115k bonded, and then pick up the phone and CALL anyone.
> The Bitsurfr PRO drops to 56k, and once I hang up it re-bonds to 115k.
> Even allows incoming calls when I am bonded ... BTW the calls ARE
> crystal CLEAR!

Yes, but that's ISDN. ISDN is great, if:

1) you can get it. Lots of restrictions (3 miles from CO) and tough to get.
2) you can afford it-- it's expensive in most areas, with a PER MINUTE charge in a lot of them
3) your ISP supports it
4) your friends have it too

DSVD is a technology for existing analog lines, ISDN is a whole other deal.

Attilio Tarabusi

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <4ftekk$e...@galaxy.ucr.edu>,
kl...@cs.ucr.edu (kenneth lamb) wrote:

>: Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems

>: (specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few questions.
>:
>: First of all, these things actually work. I guess I've been around computers
>: so long that it's amazing when a product actually lives up to the hype. Here's
>
>: the scoop for those of you that are interested.

Is the USR DSVD modem available yet? and, if yes, how much it will cost?

I'm planning to replace my old 14.4 modem/fax, so i'm just gathering
infos...

Thanks

Attila

Geoffrey Welsh

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <3122df2...@news.iadfw.net>, St...@Akita.com (JCat) wrote:

>jat...@a.crl.com (Jeff Atwood) wrote:
>>
>>Just wanted to relate my experiences with the new breed of DSVD modems
>>(specifically the USR Sportster Vi DSVD 28.8 modem), and ask a few
questions.

> I'm not familiar with *how* the DSVD modems actual manage to
>transfer the voice stream (although it sounded almost as if the voice
>was "packaged" in with the balance of the data stream). I'm wondering
>if you had a DSVD -> non DSVD -> DSVD, whether the non-DSVD modem
>would preserve the voice portion of the transmission. Specifically,
>I'm wondering about the use of DSVD modems across the 'Net. If it
>requires "pure" DSVD connections, then Kali / Milk / Game Connection
>players would be SOL.

Since the modem would be diddling the data stream _after_ the software was
building IP frames, the DSVD information would probably not be encapsulated in
the IP datagrams and would not be delivered.

DSVD modems would probably negotiate non-DSVD connections with non-DSVD modems
such as those used by internet service providers.

Geoffrey Welsh, Developer, InSystems Technologies Inc.: insy...@pathcom.com
At home: ge...@zswamp.uucp, [xenitec.on.ca|m2xenix.psg.com]!zswamp!geoff