The End is Nigh

Matthew Rowbotham

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Has anyone else noticed the dearth of science on this NG? The
experienced NGers are still churning out some amazing stuff - the Nova
Subterra genome being a good example - but their presence on the NG is
much reduced by the chattering masses who don't care how it works.
"3 new lobes you say? Big deal. Does it lay more eggs?
Coooooooooooooooooooooool!"

The Nova Subterra genome has very little credibility with all the
newbies because:
a) It hasn't got pretty new sprites for them to go "Aaaah! Cute!" at
b) It's not a superb breeder "Ooh! Ooh! Daddy, look an egg, daddy, an
egg!"
c) It doesn't spoonfeed them, burp them, wipe their mouths or fix their
baby bouncer
Never mind that it solved one of the greatest unsolvable problems of C2,
namely getting them to explore. Never mind that it can look after itself
a thousand times better than the 252 genome. Never mind that hours of
work went into it. All I hear is one perpetual whinge.
"It doesn't lay eggs <sniff>"

No one seems to be bothered enough to crank up a copy of GEL and
investigate. No one wants to try and splice them with a better breeder
(which *is* possible. It's the same for practically all genomes except
C306. You get a higher stillbirth rate than usual but the offspring can
be top class. Deathless gene splicer essential)

Nope, they've only got the energy to whinge about it. What caused the
end of critical thinking on a.g.c.? In my opinion it was the flood of
newbies. Back in the ol' days when there was only a newbie trickle the
old timers could train up the young 'uns in time for the next few
newbies. But we've now hit a tidal wave of them and they've started
talking to eachother, misinforming eachother and perpetuating myths.
It's like the fall of Rome if you ask me. Consider a corpulent Roman
nobleman, reclined on a chaise longue, presented with a silver platter.
"Giraffe's neck stuffed with turtle eggs and saffron? Hmmm. I like it.
Bring me more. No I don't care what the recipe is."
Newbies are growing fat on the work of the wise ones and doing nothing
to perpetuate the cycle of knowledge. Consider these three posts.

"I would really like to know if there are any new breeds for C2? I
already have the Mers,Scopios,fishnorns,cannys,Novas Sub.and GIL. are
there any others?"

"Does anyone know where I can get the Misfits files?
I would like to have those scorpion norns n' stuff."

"Could someone please tell me where to get some cool breeds of Norns. I

already have Scorpio, Mernorns, and Canny. Thanks"

Three different people with the same request. Bring me more giraffe's
neck stuffed with turtle eggs and saffron. A ten minute check on the NG
would reveal the answers but why bother when you have servants and
silver platters?
Since I know that the people I'm talking about almost certainly don't
have the patience (or reading age) to get this far down a post I can add
the following:
If you can advertise on the NG offering to take old and sick norns off
people to look after them then you have *way* too much time on your
hands. Get a hobby.

Matt the Doomsday Prophet

Nitehawk

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Being a newbie myself and reading this obviously frustrated and
un-understanding gentleman's words i thought i might just take some time to
reply.

Matthew Rowbotham wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed the dearth of science on this NG?

Why don't you resurrect it? (I believe later on you call people whiners for
not doing something about their situation)

> The
> experienced NGers are still churning out some amazing stuff - the Nova
> Subterra genome being a good example - but their presence on the NG is
> much reduced by the chattering masses who don't care how it works.
> "3 new lobes you say? Big deal. Does it lay more eggs?
> Coooooooooooooooooooooool!"

Not to belittle the tremendous contribution that the veterans of creatures
(note i do not say experienced nger simply because
being an experienced nger has very little to do with being experienced with
creatures the program) but some of us don't have
the time concentration, brain for programing, experience with the program,
social connections, and general oneness with the computer to do any
programing much less come up the an entirely new gene or creature or world.

Question: Do you care how lava lamps, space shuttles, cars, vacuum cleaners,
light bulbs, or fireworks work? or do you say ahh pretty... and thank the
gods that it works when you flip a switch or turn it on? Do you have the
time and effort to find out how every item in your house works and every day
life works? or do you say this is neat and put it on a shelf to look at.

> The Nova Subterra genome has very little credibility with all the
> newbies because:
> a) It hasn't got pretty new sprites for them to go "Aaaah! Cute!" at

actually it has a whole lot of things that are cute to look at and with a
bit of cross breeding they are very pretty
i certainly went oh this is neat

> b) It's not a superb breeder "Ooh! Ooh! Daddy, look an egg, daddy, an
> egg!"

No it is not a particularly good breeder but that is what the chemicals and
cobs that the veterans have so nicely mapped out for us do (thank you again
veterans we love you for it)

> c) It doesn't spoonfeed them, burp them, wipe their mouths or fix their
> baby bouncer

Pardon me but you might want to try calming down a bit and attempt to speak
your mind without being blatantly insulting or adopting a holier than thou
attitude. You might actually get some where if you try it.

Actually come to think of it... Creatures is a game (granted it is a
wonderful one for both children and adults but it is still a game)
a game meant for people of all ages.

> Never mind that it solved one of the greatest unsolvable problems of C2,
> namely getting them to explore. Never mind that it can look after itself
> a thousand times better than the 252 genome. Never mind that hours of
> work went into it. All I hear is one perpetual whinge.
> "It doesn't lay eggs <sniff>"

If you will notice that it doesn't lay eggs thread in this news group turned
into why didn't it lay eggs and how might we get it to lay eggs and how does
this whole egg laying thing work. And speaking of whining perhaps you should
do a little bit less of it yourself.

> No one seems to be bothered enough to crank up a copy of GEL and
> investigate.

GEL...

> No one wants to try and splice them with a better breeder

did you actually read the posts that you are speaking about here... All of
them i mean...

> (which *is* possible. It's the same for practically all genomes except
> C306. You get a higher stillbirth rate than usual but the offspring can
> be top class. Deathless gene splicer essential)
>
> Nope, they've only got the energy to whinge about it. What caused the
> end of critical thinking on a.g.c.? In my opinion it was the flood of
> newbies. Back in the ol' days when there was only a newbie trickle the
> old timers could train up the young 'uns in time for the next few
> newbies. But we've now hit a tidal wave of them and they've started
> talking to eachother, misinforming eachother and perpetuating myths.
> It's like the fall of Rome if you ask me. Consider a corpulent Roman
> nobleman, reclined on a chaise longue, presented with a silver platter.
> "Giraffe's neck stuffed with turtle eggs and saffron? Hmmm. I like it.
> Bring me more. No I don't care what the recipe is."
> Newbies are growing fat on the work of the wise ones and doing nothing
> to perpetuate the cycle of knowledge. Consider these three posts.

Just so you know WITHOUT THE NEWBIES CYBERLIFE WOULD NOT MAKE MONEY THERE
WOULD BE NO UPDATES AND YOU WOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO. i apologize for
screaming but i think you are missing a huge fundamental of business here,
in order to continue a product it has to make money in order to make money
it has to sell in order to sell it requires new people to buy it (hence
newbies). Now perhaps you might want to congratulate the new people for
coming to the ng to ask questions and seek the answers instead of insulting
their thinking. And if everyone here felt as you do would they be willing
to share their work and advice, would there be an oodle of faq's and web
pages offering stuff to both the new and the veterans?

> "I would really like to know if there are any new breeds for C2? I
> already have the Mers,Scopios,fishnorns,cannys,Novas Sub.and GIL. are
> there any others?"
>

> "Does anyone know where I can get the Misfits files?
> I would like to have those scorpion norns n' stuff."
>
> "Could someone please tell me where to get some cool breeds of Norns. I
>
> already have Scorpio, Mernorns, and Canny. Thanks"
>
> Three different people with the same request. Bring me more giraffe's
> neck stuffed with turtle eggs and saffron. A ten minute check on the NG
> would reveal the answers but why bother when you have servants and
> silver platters?
> Since I know that the people I'm talking about almost certainly don't
> have the patience (or reading age) to get this far down a post I can add
> the following:

Umm it seems that you also have a problem with patience and reading age as
well as reading all the way down a thread or all of the posts along with a
rather annoying tend toward acting superior to everyone else. For someone
who is "so much better than the rest of us newbies" you sure don't follow
your own advice.

> If you can advertise on the NG offering to take old and sick norns off
> people to look after them then you have *way* too much time on your
> hands. Get a hobby.

again perhaps you should take your own advice.
Couple of things you might want to consider before continuing on the
annoying newbie bashing trend you seem to be on.
!) not all of us are computer/graphics experts...nor do we want to be
2)not all of us have the ability to download past posts (in other words
sometimes reading back is impossible therefore we repeat things already
said)
3)not all of us want to know how everything in the game works... Although it
would be nice to learn (for me that is) i don't have the time or patience to
learn every single thing in the game, i just think it is fun. And again i am
undyingly grateful to those who do know everything about the game and offer
their advice and expertise in a constructive manner.
4) It is a free and open news group, where people may ask or suggest
anything they want as long as it deals with creatures or some other related
topic.

Nitehawk
--Pardon me while i just pop off to the kitchen and shoot myself

> Matt the Doomsday Prophet

Rigby

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99

Matthew Rowbotham wrote in message <36E64139...@jesus.ox.ac.uk>...

..."chattering masses who don't care how it works."

If the Creatures game was created and marketed for the "science" alone, why
is it formatted with "pretty new sprites" making it attractive and fun to
play? No, Matthew, I DON'T care how it works. I simply like playing the
game, and I enjoy and appreciate the sprites and cobs that others have
created and shared.

"But we've now hit a tidal wave of them (Newbies) and they've started
talking to each other misinforming each other and perpetuating myths."

I'm also a Newbie, Matthew, and I don't remember seeing anything posted here
that says this NG is only for persons of your technical expertise. And by
the way, you seem to resent our asking questions of each other as well as of
yourself. If you're not inclined to answer a question... don't.

I admire the talent and creativity of persons such as yourself, but until
this NG is specifically designated for technical discussions only, I will
continue to read and comment, and yes, occasionally ask questions that may
annoy you.

Rigby

Lis Morris

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
I agree entirely with you, Nitehawk.. it's very easy to finger point, but I
like having newbies around.. if everyone was always developing new things
for the game, not only would it be entirely confusing, but no one would use
anything made for the game!

We all enjoy playing in different ways, and I say live and let live! I
personally make all the addons I make for my use first, and then give them
out for other people to use. If you make things for creatures simply for
fame and glory, you're bound to be disappointed.

I think perhaps things have got a little less scientific around here of
late, but that's because of the cdn!

Newsgroups change all the time- deal with it!

--
Lis Morris,
A.G.C. Goddess of Shee,

Spitfire85

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>I'm also a Newbie, Matthew, and I don't remember seeing anything posted here
>that says this NG is only for persons of your technical expertise. And by
>the way, you seem to resent our asking questions of each other as well as of
>yourself. If you're not inclined to answer a question... don't.

Thats not realy the problem. The problem is in newbies who think they know
everything, or others who have been misinformed by them. For all I know, I
could have wrong info on how C or C2 works too (I doubt it, though, little I
say in such things is said to be wrong).

As for the whiners, live through it, and let them have the essex norns (fast
breeders, resonable eaters). Maybe give 'em new sprites too, if someone has a
few unused norn sprites laying around (doubt it, but essex norns are for
newbies anyway, arnt they? They like such things.)

---
Another post by me, spitfire85 (No, I don't spit fire, I'm just a dragon nut.)

The guy of knowledge in a.g.c (and I hafe eror fee spilling)

Cursed by AOL, IBMs, and my age (don't even ask).

Bottom Line:
___________

Jcarrcwalk

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
<snip>
You forget the newbies can become the ones who work. An intrigued newbie can
become a programer. That's how I started out, and I think everyone else as
well. Newbies are the potential that is part of the heart beat of a newsgroup.
If you only make something for yourself you are selfish. A heart does not beat
for itself. People can choose to how they want to play the game. One of the
coolest things is finding how to use something in a new way. You want more
science discussion, be careful what you wish for *evil chuckle*
Andrew Carroll
I support ERFNB (Equal Rights For NewBies)!!!

JayD

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
I agree. I was a newbie back in September. I never played C1 and I was doing
the "Help my norn won't sleep!! -- How do you get those spinning coins???"
thing too. After I got some helpful responses, I decided to stay and learn
more about making COBs. I never expected everyone to use my work. If they
like it, great, if not, then they should just not use them. If I get some
replys from people praising my stuff, even better 8^)

JayD

JayD

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
I'd also like to add that if I were to get a response to my newbie questions
back in those first days here, telling me how stupid I was and how dare I
contribute to this ng, then I would have left.

JayD

EttiNorn

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:54:01 +0000, Matthew Rowbotham
<matthew....@jesus.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed the dearth of science on this NG?

Yep... people thinking they are God are where it all starts.

>c) It doesn't spoonfeed them, burp them, wipe their mouths or fix their
>baby bouncer

(wanted to write something but rendered speechless by the sheer
arrogance of this person)

>All I hear is one perpetual whinge.

That's about all we get from you, too.

>Nope, they've only got the energy to whinge about it.

IMHO, discussions are usually along the lines of "What can we do about
this problem?" I wonder what you would have written if all the posts
had gone "Wow, this is so fantastic, this is perfect!!" Whereas Nova
Subterra is a fantastic project which I'm sure everybody here admires,
like everything else in life it needs to be discussed to make it even
better. Doesn't it`?

>In my opinion it was the flood of
>newbies. Back in the ol' days when there was only a newbie trickle

"Back in the old days"... EVERYBODY was a newbie. Hey, this game isn't
the Pyramids, it hasn't been around forever. Even Mr Perfect Matt
must have been a newbie at some point of his existence.

> But we've now hit a tidal wave of them and they've started
>talking to eachother,
Oh, no!!!!! People actually USE a public newsgroup - they even POST
there! Can't be having with this, can we?

>It's like the fall of Rome if you ask me.

*Now casting for the role of Nero*

> No I don't care what the recipe is."

Do you actually know every ingredient of what YOU eat, anyway? There
might be people who do, and they certainly don't insult you for not
knowing.

>Since I know that the people I'm talking about almost certainly don't
>have the patience (or reading age) to get this far down a post I can add
>the following:

The patience to read this dribble? I've read better arguments on the
back of a stamp.

>If you can advertise on the NG offering to take old and sick norns off
>people to look after them then you have *way* too much time on your
>hands. Get a hobby.

Look, this is simple. If you don't like the people on this NG, go
ahead and start your own. Otherwise, there IS such a thing as
killfiling. I'll go ahead and get mine started...

Asamandra

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Im Artikel <7c87q4$l...@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>, "JayD" <jd...@ix.netcom.com>
schreibt:

>I agree. I was a newbie back in September. I never played C1 and I was doing
>the "Help my norn won't sleep!! -- How do you get those spinning coins???"
>thing too. After I got some helpful responses, I decided to stay and learn
>more about making COBs. I never expected everyone to use my work. If they
>like it, great, if not, then they should just not use them. If I get some
>replys from people praising my stuff, even better 8^)
>
>JayD

Actually, I love your COBs! I especially like the food vendor and the Hello
Kitty, but they all are great work! This does not mean that I don't like other
people's COBs, though ;)

Sandra
--
Spicy Newbie ;)
Asamandra's Creatures 2 Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/Asamandra/

Lummox JR

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Matthew Rowbotham wrote:

> The Nova Subterra genome has very little credibility with all the
> newbies because:
> a) It hasn't got pretty new sprites for them to go "Aaaah! Cute!" at

> b) It's not a superb breeder "Ooh! Ooh! Daddy, look an egg, daddy, an
> egg!"

> c) It doesn't spoonfeed them, burp them, wipe their mouths or fix their
> baby bouncer

I tend to agree on those points. It's not a new breed, as you mentioned
in point A, and it's not a terrific breeder (though the Norns do breed
all right if encouraged or lumped in with a whole mess of other Norns).
And, it's not immortal or anything, being still subject to disease and
injury.

> Never mind that it solved one of the greatest unsolvable problems of C2,
> namely getting them to explore. Never mind that it can look after itself
> a thousand times better than the 252 genome. Never mind that hours of
> work went into it. All I hear is one perpetual whinge.
> "It doesn't lay eggs <sniff>"

Better than 254, too, which is what it was based on. 252 was the buggy
genome, with design flaws *and* errors; two for the price of one!
I wouldn't say traveling is Nova Subterra's best success, though. Other
genomes were made to encourage traveling, and I was by no means the
first to get better results in that area. It's a very big plus for the
genome, yes, but as for myself I'm much more proud of the intelligence
gained by the two-lobe combination of afterdrive and change, and of the
cure for OHSS.

> No one seems to be bothered enough to crank up a copy of GEL and

> investigate. No one wants to try and splice them with a better breeder

> (which *is* possible. It's the same for practically all genomes except
> C306. You get a higher stillbirth rate than usual but the offspring can
> be top class. Deathless gene splicer essential)

There I'm not quite so sure.
The most compelling reason that Novas don't breed the best is that they
don't always want to, even if their drive to do so is very high. During
Project Gemlode, the middle generations were fantastic breeders, pumping
out eggs faster than the testers could keep track. But once the
afterdrive and change lobes were added, Nova Subterra intelligence just
about tripled, and their desire to mate constantly was muted by a desire
to explore, and I believe a certain boredom (same-old, same-old, you
know) with other Norns. They had high sex drive, but just didn't care to
mate--go figure.
I'd certainly like to encourage people to keep trying to develop better
breeding (without sacrificing much of the traveling, of course), but I
suspect that the reason they breed less readily is more because of brain
than biochemistry--just as cats are harder to train than dogs because of
their higher intelligence. (That, and their individual belief that all
other creatures exist to serve them, but that's besides the point.)
A *lot* of work went into the last generation of Project Gemlode to
improve breeding, and it was successful. (The alternatives were all
worse.) I suspect one could only do better by hard-wiring some receptors
to stimulate the Norns to think about mating more--that's a change that
I actually was about to try at one point, but discarded as I considered
it a lot like "cheating".

Lummox JR

KMWilber

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Clearly a post made in error. Intended for
alt.games.creatures.programmers.experienced.no-general-public.creatures-is
-science-not-just-a-game.I-am-better-than-you.

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
<matthew....@jesus.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed the dearth of science on this NG? The

>experienced NGers are still churning out some amazing stuff - the Nova
>Subterra genome being a good example - but their presence on the NG is
>much reduced by the chattering masses who don't care how it works.
>"3 new lobes you say? Big deal. Does it lay more eggs?
>Coooooooooooooooooooooool!"

<scritch>

Well, for one thing, not everyone necessarily wants to
play the game at that "level". I mean if you're just starting
out it can be hard to look at all the concepts (what each
lobe does, how different chemicals work), and to make
sense of just how exciting a new breed is in that way. ;^)
More immediate ways of understanding changes b/w
one breed and the next could very well come from the
basics of observation (do these new norns sleep more?
eat more? breed more?), and facts like that can be
very satisfying in their own way. Basically, I don't think
folks are purposely being annoying when they make
such comparisons; they're just experimenting in their
own way with the new breeds. And, doesn't a lot of
science start from basic observation in that sense? ;^)

I'm not saying that they should be insulting about such
comparisons, or belittle the amount of work that it takes
to create a new breed. It may just be a case of
expectations being different because of the range of
"types" of players we have.

>The Nova Subterra genome has very little credibility with all the
>newbies because:
>a) It hasn't got pretty new sprites for them to go "Aaaah! Cute!" at

To be fair, new sprites do give a lot of people pleasure,
and they can take an awful amount of work to create. I
think this is another situation where people are playing
for different reasons. Some folks like really getting into
the depths of genetic editing. Others are just really
happy to see variations in how their norns look. No
harm there, IMO, as it's just another way of playing the
game.

>No one wants to try and splice them with a better breeder
>(which *is* possible. It's the same for practically all genomes except
>C306. You get a higher stillbirth rate than usual but the offspring can
>be top class. Deathless gene splicer essential)

That may simply be a matter of taste as well. For
instance, lately I quite like trying to breed particular
"lines" of canny norns. I might want to try crossing
these with CL's 2nd genome at some point, but
for now I'm having a lot of fun with Wolfling Runs.
Basically, some folks may just be happy to play
without intervening too much on the genetic front.
I don't see any harm in that. After all, if the game
gives us some fun, does it matter which "level" of
competence we play at?

>Nope, they've only got the energy to whinge about it.

Well, I'll agree that it isn't very fair to complain blindly
about the genome without trying to understand it
more, or at least asking about it here first. But then,
how fair is it to only complain about the questions of
a few newbies without taking the time to get to know
them better as individuals? I mean, you're taking this
awfully personally, IMO. As if they are all out to irritate
_you_. They might just be curious, you know. ;^)

>But we've now hit a tidal wave of them and they've started

>talking to eachother, misinforming eachother and perpetuating myths.

It's the nature of newbie-ism to arrive in a new forum,
and find oneself faced by learning curves which may
at times be very steep. And I am speaking from
experience. We all start out as newbies - even you
must have been one once. ;^) I don't think everyone
sets out to perpetuate myths. It could be that some folks
may have misunderstood something, but are still trying
to help out someone else. If you snap at such people,
they aren't likely to learn what information they _should_
be giving out, and will be a lot less keen to stay around
here and learn, become regulars, etc. I mean, I've made
mistakes giving advice here before. If someone had
called me names for that, instead of just correcting me
so I could learn from that, then I would be long gone
from this NG. If you make learning into a painful
experience, then IMO you are only perpetuating the
"gap" which you seem to feel lies b/w the more
experienced people here, and the newer arrivals. If
folks feel that it's OK to make mistakes - I mean, they
shouldn't fear making an honest mistake - and to learn
from those, then they are going to be the ones who
will eventually learn the most, and potentially help out
the most people, IMO.

>It's like the fall of Rome if you ask me.

What? The degeneration of the Roman Empire due to
those lead pipes that they used to carry their water
supplies around, and an over-extension of their
resources (military), as well as the socio-political
changes brought about by the introduction of
Christianity? ;^)

>Newbies are growing fat on the work of the wise ones and doing nothing
>to perpetuate the cycle of knowledge.

Not everyone is just here to take and take. I mean, there
are some relatively new arrivals here who do start giving
things back. I mean, without naming any names, I can
remember the arrival of one immensely helpful cobbler
who started passing round his "fixes" for a lot of small,
irritating problems in C2. Or, the new arrival who took
the time to thank folks for a warm welcome, and then
stood up for others in a stressful situation. Or the new
arrival who spoke up when one of he regulars felt
discouraged about something, and tried to cheer
her up. Basically, as with any group, you'll get all sorts
of people. And very often, folks do need some help
and information before they can help others. Being a
little patient with such people will not only mean that
you have a lower blood pressure ;^), but it's more likely
to mean that they will _want_ to learn more.

Only the truly impoverished of spirit _like_ being in a
state of ignorance, after all. And asking questions to
me shows that someone has a desire to learn.

>Consider these three posts.

>"I would really like to know if there are any new breeds for C2? I
>already have the Mers,Scopios,fishnorns,cannys,Novas Sub.and GIL. are
>there any others?"

Is that really so offensive by itself? I mean, if you've
just arrived here, it's not like there's a Breeds FAQ
to tell you where to look for new breeds, etc. I mean,
if this really, really bothers you, it may be worthwhile
thinking of trying to make a list of the different breeds
that way, to post here once in a while. It'll forestall lots
of similar questions, give the folks who ask a quick
source of info without annoying anyone else, and
might be helpful for people who are thinking of making
their own breeds if you also list the characteristics of
the breeds. I mean, you are obviously very informed
about the genetics of different breeds...

>Three different people with the same request. Bring me more giraffe's
>neck stuffed with turtle eggs and saffron.

I think it's just a few URLs they want. ;^) Less than
5 seconds of typing, usually. Could be the chance
for a few creators to plug their work as well. If, on
the other hand, they were to say something like:
"x breed is rubbish, and x creator is worthless!",
then IMO it's another situation altogether. I don't
see any examples of such behaviour in the posts
you quoted.

>A ten minute check on the NG
>would reveal the answers but why bother when you have servants and
>silver platters?

When folks start asking the same questions over
and over, IMO it's a good sign that an FAQ can
help to save regulars the stress of repeated
replies / reading the same question over and
over. I am not the best person to describe the
various changes that go into new breeds,
(lacking the genetic nouse) or I would volunteer.

An FAQ is not serving folks on a silver platter,
in that they still have to read and absorb the
information. It is, however, collating the
information into one document for everyone's
mutual convenience. Would you consider
writing such a document if this really bothers
you?

>If you can advertise on the NG offering to take old and sick norns off
>people to look after them then you have *way* too much time on your
>hands. Get a hobby.

Well, to be fair, it's just another way of playing.
I mean, didn't you ever play "hospital" when
you were a kid? I used to bandage up dolls
and take their temperatures... If some people
like to play doctor to sick norns, is that such
a big crime? ;^)

And, isn't a hobby also one way of enjoying the
game? ;^)

Basically, if you want to see more "higher level"
discussions about genetics going on, why not
initiate them here? If you want to see less newbies
in general, try killfiling everyone but the folks you'd
rather read (IMO you'd be missing out, but that's
just my POV). If you want to make people more
informed, then try writing an FAQ on the different
breeds. I don't think complaining about all newbies
in general will really fix what you dislike about the
situation, and is in fact more likely to create bad
feeling b/w new arrivals and older posters in the
short and long term.

Mae Tang
(replace "nospam" with "nu-it" for a valid e-mail address)

Martha Brummett

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:21:03 -0500, Lummox JR <Lumm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>The most compelling reason that Novas don't breed the best is that they
>don't always want to, even if their drive to do so is very high. During
>Project Gemlode, the middle generations were fantastic breeders, pumping
>out eggs faster than the testers could keep track. But once the
>afterdrive and change lobes were added, Nova Subterra intelligence just
>about tripled, and their desire to mate constantly was muted by a desire
>to explore, and I believe a certain boredom (same-old, same-old, you
>know) with other Norns. They had high sex drive, but just didn't care to
>mate--go figure.

I like the genome better for that. Norns are anomalies in that they
bear (hatch, rather) one infant at a time, yet they don't invest time
in raising that infant to a viable adulthood. I have had NS Norns
around infants, and they seem better influences than norns of other
breeds, in that they tickle rather than hit the infant, don't grab
food away from it, and don't show it constant and interfering
attention. I believe it may be possible to actually have the adults
around the infants without risk of physical harm and inability to
learn.

>I'd certainly like to encourage people to keep trying to develop better
>breeding (without sacrificing much of the traveling, of course), but I
>suspect that the reason they breed less readily is more because of brain
>than biochemistry--just as cats are harder to train than dogs because of
>their higher intelligence.

Again, I see no problems so far. I have three infants and two
unhatched eggs of the second generation, and the breeding adults are
just about 1'30" old.

Martha Brummett (C2 species range 39001-39100)
Piratical Maid-of-All-Work, P.B. Jolly Weeble
mailto:mo...@diac.com
Bonadrey Nornery
http://www.diac.com/~mokus/bonadrey.html

CrAzY WaTeR!

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
hey hey hey!! umm...<cough> I agree!! < sniff >
--
me llamo loca agua!!!
Don't be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood!

Lummox JR <Lumm...@aol.com> wrote in article <36E841...@aol.com>...

> Matthew Rowbotham wrote:
>
> > The Nova Subterra genome has very little credibility with all the
> > newbies because:
> > a) It hasn't got pretty new sprites for them to go "Aaaah! Cute!" at

> > investigate. No one wants to try and splice them with a better breeder

> > (which *is* possible. It's the same for practically all genomes except
> > C306. You get a higher stillbirth rate than usual but the offspring can
> > be top class. Deathless gene splicer essential)
>

> There I'm not quite so sure.

> The most compelling reason that Novas don't breed the best is that they
> don't always want to, even if their drive to do so is very high. During
> Project Gemlode, the middle generations were fantastic breeders, pumping
> out eggs faster than the testers could keep track. But once the
> afterdrive and change lobes were added, Nova Subterra intelligence just
> about tripled, and their desire to mate constantly was muted by a desire
> to explore, and I believe a certain boredom (same-old, same-old, you
> know) with other Norns. They had high sex drive, but just didn't care to
> mate--go figure.

> I'd certainly like to encourage people to keep trying to develop better
> breeding (without sacrificing much of the traveling, of course), but I
> suspect that the reason they breed less readily is more because of brain
> than biochemistry--just as cats are harder to train than dogs because of

CrAzY WaTeR!

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
hush man! The scattered wolverines will hear you!!!

--
me llamo loca agua!!!
Don't be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood!
I enjoy playing the Final Fantasy series and other RPGs,
ICQ # is 16573642 Message me!
Crazy Water/Rick!

KMWilber <kmwi...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990311205810...@ng-cb1.aol.com>...

MaddMaaxxx

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
The nova Subterra norns in my world are always walking into walls and instead
of travelling they walk into a wall.But the GIL are great. They are fantastic.
They travel a lot and also do what I say. I am not advertising the GIL but
they are my favorite genome aside from the priginal C1 genomes I have, but the
Nova-Subterra just
walk into walls even know I push them over to another area, is this because
ofsome COBs I may have put into the world like the cob that makes norns not
walk into walls as much,I think it is called the HolloDock 9.0?

Jcarrcwalk

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

<Jerry Springer show chant> JayD JayD JayD <Jerry springer show chant/> Is this
evidence enough of the benefits of newbie inclusion?

Matthias Gutfeldt

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Well, for one thing, not everyone necessarily wants to
> play the game at that "level". I mean if you're just starting
> out it can be hard to look at all the concepts (what each
> lobe does, how different chemicals work), and to make
> sense of just how exciting a new breed is in that way. ;^)

I've only just started Creatures 1 again (after I finally got a faster
computer), and -oh joy!- Neena and Noam had their first baby within 3
hours. Only problem is the birth certificate states the mother as 'not
registered'.

To be quite honest, I have no clue whatsoever about Norn 'genomes', and
I found it rather shocking that people do whatever they can to alter
their poor Norns by means of genetic engineering. I guess I just look at
my Norns a bit differently. They're cuddly cute little furballs, not an
experiment in artificial life or genetic engineering. Although I suppose
it can be fascinating to try to alter the genes in a meaningful way, I'm
more for the old-fashioned random breeding approach myself :-).

> I don't think complaining about all newbies
> in general will really fix what you dislike about the

I'm a newbie. Everybody complain NOW! <g>

Matthias

Horosco

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:18:13 +0100, Matthias Gutfeldt
<tan...@bboxbbs.ch> wrote:

>They're cuddly cute little furballs, not an
>experiment in artificial life or genetic engineering.

I hate to break it to you, but that's exactly what they are. :)
Creatures was made to demonstrate CyberLife's approach to building
Artifical Intelegence. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't cute
little furballs. :) But their cute furballness qualities were added
to make them attractive to consumers. :)

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
<tan...@bboxbbs.ch> wrote:

>I've only just started Creatures 1 again (after I finally got a faster
>computer), and -oh joy!- Neena and Noam had their first baby within 3
>hours. Only problem is the birth certificate states the mother as 'not
>registered'.

That's happened to me on occasion with C1. Usually
I would reimport a copy of the parent from a backed-
up .exp file and then register him/her.