Problems with an Ettin........SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

LJVPM

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Anyone know what's wrong with my latest ettin? He seemed fine when he was
born so I went off leaving him witha pile of food in case he got hungry. I
played with my norn for a while and stopped Branth the grendel commiting
suicide a few times then went back to give the ettin a name. Aaaaaaaaa!!!!
Disaster! His health was flashing red and he was making little whimpery noises
when I arrived. I opended the science kit and injected him with defribillant
and liquid food, under the impression he was going to faint. It made no
difference so I panicked and began injecting him with all the different
chemicals. Eventually I tried Metabolism Transplant (I didn't know what it was
but I didn't really care). His health stopped flashing red and went up a bit:
Two more injections later it was up at full : D But about 3 seconds later it
had plummeted again and it was back to the science kit for me. I've discovered
the only way to keep "Lucky" alive is to give him injections of MT every few
seconds but what is it? The only thing I can see wrong with Lucky is his heart
beats much faster than most other creatures I have. I've exported him until I
find the answer to the problem and anyone who wants to study him can reply or
e-mail me for a copy.

~~~Eljay

Hater of Cruelty (to ANYTHING) And People Who Try To Order Me About.

"I say what I think. Unfortunately, I don't often think what I say."

My Fav. Norns: Popple, Jinky2, Felessan, Canth, Lessa, Caylith, JustRite....

Remove "ical"

Matthew Rowbotham

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
We've had this question *so* many times...haven't you come across it at all??
It is almost certainly a mutated organ or even a dead organ - forget trying to
save it. It's done for. Unless you constantly inject it every few seconds then it
will faint and die - it's a waste of time.
Just out of interest, do you only come to this newsgroup when you have a question
or do you actually read other people's posts? The idea is that you learn from
other people's questions before you blindly hurl a question that 99% of the people
have heard before and are sick of answering.
The code for newbies, which I shall refer to as Martha's Law because she was, as
far as I know, the first to express it as concisely and clearly as she did, is:
"Lurk around the newsgroup until you know what's going on."
(I'm paraphrasing her). Read FAQs.
You can't have been reading other people's posts to ask such a basic question.

Matt

ERFOT! (Equal Rights for Old-Timers - we don't deserve all these basic questions)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Insanity takes its toll
To avoid delay, please have exact change ready
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Bean 118

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
<snip>

That's just what ettins do. After an hour or twenty minutes or whatever C2
decides its little lifetime is, it just passes out. It seems to me you haven't
been able to rescue him, (You were right, sometimes the injections help) so
just import him, wait for him to sleep or pass out, then give him several
injections of Cynide to humainly end his life. Or, if you just can't, give him
to me and I will.

Sorry there wasn't a better way.

>~~~Eljay

Bean, Goddess of Ettin, member of the pantheon, ect, ect..

"11 minutes 'til we die."
-Kenton

Visit ALB-Labs!
http://members.aol.com/bean118/alblabs.html

Remove ma to reply

Jeff D.

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Actually Ettins don't live very long anyway. I haven't studied one
long enough to find out what they die from, but that's the way Cyberlife
created them. The best you can do is inject them to keep them alive. IMHO
though that's just like being on a ventilator. I'd rather die then be a
vegetable. Sorry.

Jeff D.
Part time COBler
Replace 'nospam' with 'extreme' for valid E-mail
Species number 50100 - 50199
Home page: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/4023/
Writer of Deep Space Norn...

LJVPM

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Thanks, for the offer but he just passed away while I was preventing a norn
from commiting suicide. I'm not too worried since I got another ettin while he
was exported and "Exim" doesn't seem so keen to die yet.
Thanks a lot anyway!

Lis Morris

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Actually, this happens quite often with ettins. The reason is not bad
genetics in this case, but glycotoxin poisoning. Time and time again, I've
found half dead ettins and it turns out they have high glycotoxin from the
grey and yellow mushrooms dotted around their garden.
Glycotoxin is very dangerous to ettins, because unlike norns (except the
ones supplied with the game) they cannot metabolise it in any way- it
carries on harming them, and never disappears. The best thing to do is to
make sure the ettin is conscious, using the defibbrillant in the science
kit, then inject it firstly with my brain friendly food cob, and then the
universal antidote, which contains arnica, a plant extract that cures the
poisoning. It's not very efficient, though, so a few more injections, five
or six, spaced out by about 20 seconds, should entirely cure the poisoning.
Don't ask me why it takes so many- there's no real genetic reason why it
should! Or maybe there is and I haven't spotted it :-).

--
Lis Morris,
A.G.C. Goddess of Shee,

xOtix

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Matthew Rowbotham wrote in message
<36B6FFF5...@jesus.ox.ac.uk>...

>We've had this question *so* many times...haven't you come
across it at all??

Okay, Matt, calm down a bit before you start a flamewar or hurt
someone's feeling or worse --get completely ignored!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels as you do about people
reading the FAQs and reading the other posts, but people will do
what they habitually do, unless you use a bit of umm... finesse
(and even then...)

But remember that some people don't get all the posts, some
people have certain threads killfiled, and others simply don't
have the time to read everything. It's also possible, since
this is a very complex game, that people forget in a moment of
panic...

But I do understand and share your frustration. I'm starting a
new thread called "[Poll]How Many People in This Community Have
Actually Read the FAQs?" Check it out...

~ jann

<AGC Pantheon's Profit/Prophet-ess>
<AGC FAQs Archivist ~ Creatures Community Advocate>
?? Confused About C1 ?? C2 ?? Alt.Games.Creatures??

Need Help ??
xOtix's "Jus' Gimme All Th' FAQs"
--Creatures(1), Creatures2, The Creatures Community
http://www.jannart.on.ca/allcfaqs.htm

Creator of The Albian Fruit Basket COB <for C2>
(with a lot of help from JayD)
http://www.jannart.on.ca/basket.htm

reply to: < x0...@my-dejanews.com >

Chariz2000

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
I don't know why, but ettin is actually doing very good! It seems to be keeping
it's health up by eating ants! maybe it's something else, (I haven't wached him
much) but all I remember seeing him say is "Keith Jr eat badbug" than he ate an
ant. I'll research my theory.

Wolf_Pack

mae...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

If I remember correctly, ants contain some starch
(10 units or something like that). So they can
provide creatures who eat them with a little food.
HTH.

Mae Tang
(replace "nospam" with "nu-it" for a valid e-mail address)