Shaking the FAQ

YuNoHoo

May 18, 1992, 7:00:31 AM5/18/92

>F. Flowers are bad in hospital rooms because they suck oxygen out of air.

Flowers may be bad in general due to allergic reactions and bacterias.
In Norway, however, flowers are moved out of the rooms every night
because the use oxygen when it's dark. We can always start a flame-fest
to prove it's not the case, but i doubt the hospital rules will be changed.

>F. Swimming right after eating will cause cramps and you'll drown.

The MDs say your blood pressure gets lower after eating, thus less blood
will go to your muscles. That'll increase your chance of getting cramps.

>Tb.Drinking large quantities of deionized/distilled water over a long period
> of time can screw you up due to ion imbalances.

I remember british TV reported that using purified/softened water for babies
could give them severe diarrhea. That would sure screw up the salt/ion balance.

>Fb.A patient's intestine explodes from cauterization during surgery due to gas.

Nope, it's true. It's happened several times - at least in Norwegian hospitals.
The risk used to be higher when ether was used for anaestetic... :-)
It didn't have to be fatal, but some patients have died from this condition.

>Fb.Drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw makes one drunker faster.

Well, you sort of bypass your tastebuds. Some people drink smaller sips
due to strong taste (or if it tastes bud). But there's nothing more to it.

>Tb.Carbonation in whisky and soda makes one drunk faster than a straight whisky.

Don't remember this thread, but the carbon dioxide will promote esterification (?)
of the alcohol in your intestines.

>F. Ship captains, on their own authority, can perform marriages.

No, I'm not going to restart this thread. However, I did look it up once
to see what norwegian law said. The question is: Did Cindy marry in an
american church only? If so, then the marriage isn't legal in Norway...
(Ok, this is obviously a move to get Cindy back into the FAQ :-))

---
YuNoHoo "I was told we could discuss the FAQ in this group"

Cindy Kandolf

May 18, 1992, 4:22:08 PM5/18/92
Everyone's favorite Norskie, YuNoHoo, writes:
> The question is: Did Cindy marry in an
>american church only? If so, then the marriage isn't legal in Norway...
>(Ok, this is obviously a move to get Cindy back into the FAQ :-))

Yes, i got married in an American church. But i am registered in Trondheim
Folkeregister and at the Alien Office of the local police station as married
under Norwegian law. Try telling them they're breaking the law 8-)

Actually, i am in the FAQ, in the fine print....

My pet troll Stein isn't though. He's rather disappointed.

-Cindy Kandolf
ci...@solan.unit.no
Trondheim, Norway

One of the statements in this post is false.

Chuck Adams

May 18, 1992, 4:32:28 PM5/18/92
In article <CINDY.92M...@solan.unit.no> ci...@solan.unit.no (Cindy
Kandolf) writes:
> Yes, i got married in an American church. But i am registered in
> Trondheim Folkeregister and at the Alien Office of the local
^^^^^

> police station as married under Norwegian law. Try telling them
> they're breaking the law 8-)

Proof now exists of aliens!

And to think, right in our midst all along...........

Chuck Adams, WB5WRR (The Chuckster)
Not an official document of DOE, SSCL, URA or EG&G
Try Internet brand Tequila - "A worm in every bottle"
Internet: chuck...@qmail.ssc.gov (aka 143.202.130.11)

Chris.Hilker

May 18, 1992, 7:38:06 PM5/18/92

In article <1992May18....@nntp.nta.no> st...@nta.no writes:
>>F. Swimming right after eating will cause cramps and you'll drown.
>
>The MDs say your blood pressure gets lower after eating, thus less blood
>will go to your muscles. That'll increase your chance of getting cramps.

I can't comment about that theory, but I think the line in the FAQ should
be changed to "Swimming less than an hour after eating will cause
stomach cramps and you'll drown." I have never heard an explanation
of what a stomach cramp is, but this is what I've always heard swimming
after eating causes.

C.
--
They have corrupted themselves, |
their spot is not the spot of his children: | Chris.Hilker

YuNoHoo

May 19, 1992, 8:36:27 AM5/19/92
In article <35...@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, Chris.Hilker writes:

> I have never heard an explanation
>of what a stomach cramp is, but this is what I've always heard swimming
>after eating causes.

Well, I dunno if "stomach cramp" dangerous for swimmers, but cramps in
arms and legs are the kind your at danger of getting when the bloodstream
to your limbs is reduced. Of course, crawling with your ears can save
your life. :-)

---
YuNoHoo "eating lots of cabbage before swimming could help"

Chuck Jordan

May 20, 1992, 3:50:10 PM5/20/92
>>Fb.Drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw makes one drunker faster.
>Well, you sort of bypass your tastebuds. Some people drink smaller sips
>due to strong taste (or if it tastes bud). But there's nothing more to it.

I thought it was just that you usually finish a drink more quickly when you
drink it through a straw. (At least I do. Try it -- It works! Especially
with drinks with a lot of ice in them.) Of course, if you drink an entire
beer in 5 minutes you'll get drunk sooner than if you drink the same amount
over 15 or 20 minutes.

>>Tb.Carbonation in whisky and soda makes one drunk faster than a straight whisky.

This doesn't have anything to do with the difference between champagne and
regular wine, right? I have to drink far less champagne than wine to get
absolutely silly drunk, but I always assumed that the bubbles in champagne
were formed from a different gas than the bubbles in carbonated drinks...

>YuNoHoo "I was told we could discuss the FAQ in this group"

Chuck "I hope my parents aren't reading this" Jordan

--
Chuck Jordan | jor...@castor.cs.uga.edu

Alan J Rosenthal

May 21, 1992, 1:27:31 PM5/21/92
jor...@castor.cs.uga.edu (Chuck Jordan) writes:
>This doesn't have anything to do with the difference between champagne and
>regular wine, right? I have to drink far less champagne than wine to get
>absolutely silly drunk,

I think that that's probably the sugar. Sugar seems to increase the rate at
which the alcohol is absorbed from your stomach into your bloodstream;
incidentally, I would assume that an increased rate of absorption would mean
that an increased percentage of the alcohol was absorbed (presumably some
fraction of it goes through your system before it can be absorbed).

But with that said, it bears repeating what someone else posted that the main
difference between how drunk various things make you is the effect they have on
the rate at which you consume alcohol. And sugar of course contributes to this
too.

Doug S. Caprette Bldg. 28 W191 x3892

May 21, 1992, 2:07:32 PM5/21/92
>>Fb.Drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw makes one drunker faster.
>Well, you sort of bypass your tastebuds. Some people drink smaller sips
>due to strong taste (or if it tastes bud). But there's nothing more to it.

My roomate in colege explained to me that the proper order in which to place
the ingrediants of a mixed drink in the glass is as follows:

1) ice

2) booze

3) mix

If the drink is then served without any further agitation or stirring, my
own observation has been that the booze remains concentrated near the bottom.
(Trivially obseved, over and over again, repeatedly, redundantly...)
If, one then drinks with a straw which reaches all the way to the bottom of
the glass, one gets the stronger part of the drink first. Thus one would
expect to get drunk faster, than if one sips the drink gradually from the
top down. The legend is not proven by this argument, but a belief in its
veracity is strongly motivated by it, I think.

in a glass was as

JOSEPH T CHEW

May 21, 1992, 4:04:04 PM5/21/92
I was taught that sparkling wine hits you harder because the
carbonation... let's see if those old carboned-up brain cells
will still fire when I turn the key... makes it get absorbed
either faster or more completely.

Joe "It may start as champagne but by next morning it's real pain" Chew

YuNoHoo

May 22, 1992, 6:44:31 AM5/22/92
In article <1992May20....@athena.cs.uga.edu>, Chuck Jordan writes:

>I thought it was just that you usually finish a drink more quickly when you
>drink it through a straw.

Depends on the straw, depends on the drink. I can pour down most soft drinks
faster from a glass than through most straws. If it's a strong drink,
or tastes like bud - well, a straw sure helps to speed things up. :-)

> [...] I always assumed that the bubbles in champagne

>were formed from a different gas than the bubbles in carbonated drinks...

Nope, it's good old carbon dioxide, comes from the process that makes
the alcohol. (Well, if it's not *real* champagne the producers may have
added some more gas to make more bubbles.)

and, In article <1992May21.1...@nsisrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Doug S. Caprette
writes:

>If the drink is then served without any further agitation or stirring, my
>own observation has been that the booze remains concentrated near the bottom.

You've either got some sticky booze or some really ugly mix there. Probably
both... :-) (I never did like bourbon myself> Tequila Sunrise is somewhat
better if I'm forced to drink brightly colored drinks.)

obDrinkMix: You take a small glass filled with Aquavit (that's strong,
isn't it) and place it upside down in a pint-sized-glass.
[Now, how did I do that without spilling?] Then I fill up
the p-s-g with beer. And, for every sip of beer - the small
glass tilts and will release some of that strong Aquavit.
Now, this is the drink you don't drink with a straw.

Have a nice week-end,
Yours YuNoHoo

Terry Carroll

May 22, 1992, 6:02:09 PM5/22/92
In article <1992May21.1...@nsisrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, d...@gemini.tmc.edu
(Doug S. Caprette Bldg. 28 W191 x3892) writes:

> If the drink is then served without any further agitation or stirring, my
> own observation has been that the booze remains concentrated near the
bottom.

Really? In my experience, empirically verified yesterday with both
Findlandia and Absolute brands of vodka ("peppar" on the Absolute, the
Finlandia for my wimpy girlfriend) and Mr. & Mrs. T's hot 'n' spicy Bloody
Mary mix, the vodka floats over the mix.

But I'm willing to believe that this was due to experimental error. Anyone
have handy the specific gravities of alcohol and a typical mix (say, water)?

-tc

Terry Carroll
Amdahl, Computer and Systems Architecture
"Chance favors the prepared mind" -Pasteur

bill nelson

May 22, 1992, 8:18:10 PM5/22/92
tj...@juts.ccc.amdahl.com (Terry Carroll) writes:
:
: Really? In my experience, empirically verified yesterday with both
: Findlandia and Absolute brands of vodka ("peppar" on the Absolute, the
: Finlandia for my wimpy girlfriend) and Mr. & Mrs. T's hot 'n' spicy Bloody
: Mary mix, the vodka floats over the mix.
:
: But I'm willing to believe that this was due to experimental error. Anyone
: have handy the specific gravities of alcohol and a typical mix (say, water)?

Yep - the specific gravity of alcohol is less than that of water. However,
it is 100% miscible with water.

Bill "Shaken, not stirred" Nelson