late talkers

Michael Stern

Oct 6, 1992, 11:17:53 PM10/6/92
We have all heard the story about how Einstein's slow development lead his
parents to suspect that he might be mentally deficient. I have heard a
similar story which I throw before you.

Some great (British?) poet/author (unnamed) did not speak until the age
of 12, at which point he shocked his family by mentioning at dinner that
"The meat seems overdone." When pressed as to why he had never previously
spoken, the lad replied "I never had much to say."

Any comments?

Michael Stern * "I love children, especially when they cry,
* for then someone takes them away."
ste...@husc.harvard.edu * -Nancy Mitford

Scott Cromar

Oct 7, 1992, 9:08:58 AM10/7/92
ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:

> Some great (British?) poet/author (unnamed) did not speak until the age
> of 12, at which point he shocked his family by mentioning at dinner that
> "The meat seems overdone." When pressed as to why he had never previously
> spoken, the lad replied "I never had much to say."

I've heard this legend several times about several people (including
Einstein and Newton). I also once heard the story related with
Churchill as the late talker.

--Scott "or was it Disraeli?" Cromar

ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
you'll still be overdone."

Mcirvin

Oct 7, 1992, 10:00:29 AM10/7/92
ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:

>We have all heard the story about how Einstein's slow development lead his
>parents to suspect that he might be mentally deficient. I have heard a
>similar story which I throw before you.

>Some great (British?) poet/author (unnamed) did not speak until the age
>of 12, at which point he shocked his family by mentioning at dinner that
>"The meat seems overdone." When pressed as to why he had never previously
>spoken, the lad replied "I never had much to say."

>Any comments?

The same anecdote, more or less, has been attached to Einstein: that he
didn't talk until he was four, then suddenly said "The soup is too hot"
at dinner, and when asked why he had never said anything before, replied
"Until now everything was in order."

--
Matt McIrvin, posting nonsense again

David Wilson

Oct 8, 1992, 3:40:04 AM10/8/92
ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:

> ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
> you'll still be overdone."

The way I heard this one was:

A lady MP (Member of Parliament) indignantly confronts Winston Churchill
in the lobby of the Houses of Parliament with the words:

"Sir, you are drunk !".

To which he replies:

"Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

Dave.

wchur...@pearlygates.com

Oct 8, 1992, 10:07:39 AM10/8/92
In article <1992Oct8.0...@meiko.com> da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
>> ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
>> you'll still be overdone."
>
>The way I heard this one was:
>
>A lady MP (Military Police) indignantly confronts Winston Churchill

>in the lobby of the Houses of Parliament with the words:
>
>"Sir, you are drunk !".
>
>To which he replies:
>
>"Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

That wasn't me. It was Disraeli. Maybe Gladstone.

Winston "ignore the .signature behind the curtain" Churchill.

--
ted frank | th...@midway.uchicago.edu
also at quib...@uchicago.edu | standard disclaimers

Andy Hill

Oct 8, 1992, 4:54:11 PM10/8/92
cro...@math.rutgers.edu (Scott Cromar) writes:
> Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.

Throw it back. Trolling for newbies is OK, but catching them with
barbed misquotes is against the afu game regulations.

Scott Cromar

Oct 8, 1992, 2:24:08 PM10/8/92
da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
> ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
[Actually, I wrote it. Why should Mike get credit for it?]

> > ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
> > you'll still be overdone."

: The way I heard this one was:

: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.

--Scott "Churchill never said that. Gladstone did." Cromar

Montykins

Oct 8, 1992, 5:26:20 PM10/8/92
In article <1992Oct8.0...@meiko.com>, da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:

>The way I heard this one was:
>
>"Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

This really happened. I saw it on the "Newlywed Game".

-Paul "Monty" Ashley
(Any well-meaning follow-ups will be mocked mercilessly)
--
"Am I a drunken loon? Whoo! Whoo!" | pas...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu
-- David Letterman | [Not a UCSD employee]

Paul Tomblin

Oct 8, 1992, 9:51:18 PM10/8/92
cro...@math.rutgers.edu (Scott Cromar) writes:

>da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>> ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
>[Actually, I wrote it. Why should Mike get credit for it?]
>> > ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
>> > you'll still be overdone."

>: The way I heard this one was:
>: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

>Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.

I think alt.folklore.urban needs a 'Trolling for Newbies' game, much like we
had in alt.fan.warlord. I wonder if George McQuary would volunteer to keep
score?

--
Paul Tomblin, p...@geovision.gvc.com or {uunet,revcan}!geovision!pt
(This is not an official opinion of GeoVision Systems Inc.)

David Wilson

Oct 9, 1992, 7:31:43 AM10/9/92
cro...@math.rutgers.edu (Scott Cromar) writes:

>da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>> ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
>[Actually, I wrote it. Why should Mike get credit for it?]
>> > ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and
>> > you'll still be overdone."

>: The way I heard this one was:
>: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

>Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.

Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

Dave Wilson

Scott Cromar

Oct 9, 1992, 10:26:27 AM10/9/92
: >cro...@math.rutgers.edu writes:
: > ObUL: Churchill's first words were "In the morning I'll be sober, and

: > you'll still be overdone."

> >: The way I heard this one was:
> >: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

> >Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.

> Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

Well, seeing as how you ended up on my hook, I suppose it's my
responsibility to explain the situation to you. I tried to send this
by email, but I can't reach there from here.

You may have noticed nonsequiturs and garbled quotes at the end of
several postings. People put these rather warped and garbled versions
of old familiar tales on the end as a sort of insider's joke. Every
now and again, someone who is unfamiliar with the game will bite and
post a well-meaning correction to the story, and end up reposting a
story that has been told many times on afu.

I hope you're seeing a pattern here.

Some people call this game "trolling for newbies," especially at the
beginning of each new school year. As far as I know, there are no
formal rules, but I'm sure someone will make some up.

--Scott "Besides, I'm sure it was Disraeli. Or was that Gladstone?"
Cromar

Citecheck Hell

Oct 9, 1992, 10:48:15 AM10/9/92
In article <1992Oct9....@meiko.com> da...@plasmameiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>cro...@math.rutgers.edu (Scott Cromar) writes:
>>da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>>> ste...@husc10.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
>>[Actually, I wrote it. Why should Mike get credit for it?]
>
>>: The way I heard this one was:
>>: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."
>
>>Whaddya think? I think I caught this one cold.
>
>Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

This is my nomination for the new a.f.u. motto.

Ted "is Winston Churchill in the FAQ?" Frank

Dan Wright

Oct 9, 1992, 5:13:42 PM10/9/92

:
: This is my nomination for the new a.f.u. motto.

:

I second the motion, with a grin and a chuckle!

-- Dan Wright

Jim Kasprzak

Oct 10, 1992, 6:15:25 PM10/10/92
In article <1992Oct9....@meiko.com>, da...@plasmameiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:

|> Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

I could tell you, but it'd cost you two-fifty.

cindy davies

Oct 12, 1992, 2:18:48 AM10/12/92
In article <pfxz0#n...@rpi.edu> kas...@rpi.edu writes:
>In article <1992Oct9....@meiko.com>, da...@plasmameiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>|>
>|> Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?

We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.

--
Life among academics has taught me that a well-expressed opinion is
usually better than a badly expressed fact, so far as professional

TJ Wood

Oct 12, 1992, 6:12:50 PM10/12/92
In article <39...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>, pas...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Montykins) writes:

> In article <1992Oct8.0...@meiko.com>, da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:

>>The way I heard this one was:

>>"Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober."

> This really happened. I saw it on the "Newlywed Game".

That was my brother who said that. And then he puked on her shoes.

Bruce Buck

Oct 13, 1992, 11:39:13 AM10/13/92
In article <15...@eram.esi.COM.AU> da...@eram.esi.COM.AU (Dave Horsfall) writes:
>In article <1992Oct8.0...@meiko.com>
> da...@twinheadmeiko.co.uk (David Wilson) writes:
>
>| A lady MP (Member of Parliament) indignantly confronts Winston Churchill
>| in the lobby of the Houses of Parliament with the words:
>
>Lady Astor, I believe it was. The two were often verbally sparring. My
>favourite (possibly garbled) is: "Sir! If you were my husband, I would
>poison you!" to which he replied: "Madam! If you were my wife, I would
>poison myself first!"

The way I heard it was,
"And if you were my wife I'd beat the shit out of you"

David Lesher

Oct 18, 1992, 11:17:37 AM10/18/92
Others said

# Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?
#

Sure!
Just mail me a postcard......

--
A host is a host from coast to coast..wb8foz@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu

bill nelson

Oct 19, 1992, 1:44:24 AM10/19/92
wb8...@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (David Lesher) writes:
: Others said

:
: # Excuse me. Can someone tell me what's going on here ?
: #
:
: Sure!
: Just mail me a postcard......

Hey folks! I think David is trying to get into the GBoR for receiving
the most blank postcards received in response to a net posting.

Bill