ear buds, 1945

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 15, 2019, 3:48:26 PM10/15/19
We see kids and the audio devices and ear buds. We
think of them as something new, but here is an ad from 1945
showing their use.

https://books.google.com/books?id=K0QSAAAAIAAJ&dq=mossman%20heavy%20duty%20switches&pg=PA389#v=onepage&q&f=false

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 15, 2019, 4:44:29 PM10/15/19
The link doesn't work for me here in West Canuckistan,
but I remember the earbuds' granddaddies that I'd
screw into my ears back around 1965.

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
/ \ "Alexa, define 'bugging'."

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 16, 2019, 4:00:09 AM10/16/19
On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> We see kids and the audio devices and ear buds. We
> think of them as something new,body=0

Hardly new, both 'crystal' and 'magnetic' earpieces were
commonplace in the 1960s - an essential component for small radios.

> but here is an ad from 1945 showing their use.

OK I didn't realise they went back quite that far.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 16, 2019, 11:20:29 AM10/16/19
On 2019-10-16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
> hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>
>> We see kids and the audio devices and ear buds. We
>> think of them as something new,body=0
>
> Hardly new, both 'crystal' and 'magnetic' earpieces were
> commonplace in the 1960s - an essential component for small radios.

Yup. I had one of each. The magnetic one had to be plugged into
an amplifier output, while the crystal one (although weaker in
output) could be driven directly by a preamp.

>> but here is an ad from 1945 showing their use.
>
> OK I didn't realise they went back quite that far.

Indeed.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 16, 2019, 12:44:07 PM10/16/19
On 15/10/2019 22.44, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2019-10-15, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com <hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:
>
>> We see kids and the audio devices and ear buds. We
>> think of them as something new, but here is an ad from 1945
>> showing their use.
>>
>> https://books.google.com/books?id=K0QSAAAAIAAJ&dq=mossman%20heavy%20duty%20switches&pg=PA389#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> The link doesn't work for me here in West Canuckistan,

Nor here. I see a two inches tall image that I can not read. Seems to
say "High Q Coils". There is a button to search, that produces nothing
despite saying that there are two hits. page 361 and 309, both empty.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Scott Lurndal

Oct 16, 2019, 1:16:01 PM10/16/19
"Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> writes:
> Thunderbird/68.1.1
It's an advert for "a new TELEX TWINSET"

"TELEX TWINSET, cleverly designed in tough, turable Tenite, is made to wear
under the chin instead of over the head. With removable lucite ear tips,
any TELEX TWINSET becomes your "personal" set by merely snapping on your
own sterilized ear tips." Weight 1.75 oz.

128 ohms impedence.

Peter Flass

Oct 16, 2019, 5:41:27 PM10/16/19
This is ridiculous. I was about to blame google, but it’s apparently the
stupid mishmash of copyright laws we have. Governments need to get together
and clean this up - and I don’t mean by introducing more restrictive laws.

--
Pete

Dave Garland

Oct 16, 2019, 5:50:26 PM10/16/19
In the interim, another good reason to use a VPN, so you can be "in"
the target country.

Peter Flass

Oct 16, 2019, 10:01:11 PM10/16/19
i just thought of that, but see previous post on “office machines”.

--
Pete