OFF TOPIC: American Flyer model train set 1947

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 31, 2017, 5:03:36 PM10/31/17
The following link is to an ad for a model railroad set by
American Flyer (AC Gilbert Co) from 1947.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kEgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=life%20dec%201%201947&pg=RA1-PA151#v=onepage&q&f=false

Gilbert also made scientific toys, like chemistry sets.

A/F was a competitor to Lionel.

philo

Oct 31, 2017, 5:10:38 PM10/31/17
As a kid I was fortunate enough to have grandparents who gave me a Lionel.

I always thought it more detailed than American Flier (starter kit) but
in some ways the AF was more realistic because it had two tracks. The
Lionel had a center rail for power.

That said, if one wanted to spend some money there were some really
expensive engines made for the HO gauge that were rather outstanding.

I have a friend who used to collect them. Was also miffed that he never
even had a setup...just kept them in boxes

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 31, 2017, 7:00:32 PM10/31/17
On 2017-10-31, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 10/31/2017 04:03 PM, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>
>> The following link is to an ad for a model railroad set by
>> American Flyer (AC Gilbert Co) from 1947.
>>
>> https://books.google.com/books?id=kEgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=life%20dec%201%201947&pg=RA1-PA151#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>> Gilbert also made scientific toys, like chemistry sets.
>>
>> A/F was a competitor to Lionel.

What I remember about American Flyer trains was the bright white
outline on the locomotives' driving wheels. It stood out like
on no other model train.

My chemistry set was made by Gilbert. I didn't know about
the connection to American Flyer, though, but that ad makes it
pretty clear.

> As a kid I was fortunate enough to have grandparents who gave me a Lionel.
>
> I always thought it more detailed than American Flier (starter kit) but
> in some ways the AF was more realistic because it had two tracks. The
> Lionel had a center rail for power.

I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build that
the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a permanent
short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined the outbound
left rail (and vice versa).

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

philo

Oct 31, 2017, 7:28:50 PM10/31/17
On 10/31/2017 05:59 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2017-10-31, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/31/2017 04:03 PM, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>>
>>> The following link is to an ad for a model railroad set by
>>> American Flyer (AC Gilbert Co) from 1947.
>>>
>>> https://books.google.com/books?id=kEgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=life%20dec%201%201947&pg=RA1-PA151#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>>
>>> Gilbert also made scientific toys, like chemistry sets.
>>>
>>> A/F was a competitor to Lionel.
>
> What I remember about American Flyer trains was the bright white
> outline on the locomotives' driving wheels. It stood out like
> on no other model train.
>
> My chemistry set was made by Gilbert. I didn't know about
> the connection to American Flyer, though, but that ad makes it
> pretty clear.
>
>> As a kid I was fortunate enough to have grandparents who gave me a Lionel.
>>
>> I always thought it more detailed than American Flier (starter kit) but
>> in some ways the AF was more realistic because it had two tracks. The
>> Lionel had a center rail for power.
>
> I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
> two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build that
> the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a permanent
> short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined the outbound
> left rail (and vice versa).

Aha, guess the three rail system was better then

Bob Eager

Oct 31, 2017, 8:41:31 PM10/31/17
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 18:28:49 -0500, philo wrote:

>> I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
>> two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build
>> that the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a
>> permanent short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined
>> the outbound left rail (and vice versa).
>>

> Aha, guess the three rail system was better then

But it didn't look as authentic. Third rail in the UK is (and was) only
on the Underground in London (third rail in between the other two, but a
fourth rail outside as well) or in the South East area (third rail
outside the other two). Neither disposition matches the TriAng one.

You could get a return loop if you were rich enough to get the overhead
wire system, which gave the effect of a third rail.

The rival to TriAng, Hornby, used a third rail, but that was discontinued
when TriAng efectively took over Hornby.

Hornby have financial woes but are still going. As it happens, my wife
and 21 year old son visited the Hornby Visitor Centre today and spent a
very enjoyable three hours (it's only about 15 miles away).
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Charles Richmond

Oct 31, 2017, 8:44:05 PM10/31/17
On 10/31/2017 5:59 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2017-10-31, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/31/2017 04:03 PM, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>>
>>> The following link is to an ad for a model railroad set by
>>> American Flyer (AC Gilbert Co) from 1947.
>>>
>>> https://books.google.com/books?id=kEgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=life%20dec%201%201947&pg=RA1-PA151#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>>
>>> Gilbert also made scientific toys, like chemistry sets.
>>>
>>> A/F was a competitor to Lionel.
>
> What I remember about American Flyer trains was the bright white
> outline on the locomotives' driving wheels. It stood out like
> on no other model train.
>
> My chemistry set was made by Gilbert. I didn't know about
> the connection to American Flyer, though, but that ad makes it
> pretty clear.
>
>> As a kid I was fortunate enough to have grandparents who gave me a Lionel.
>>
>> I always thought it more detailed than American Flier (starter kit) but
>> in some ways the AF was more realistic because it had two tracks. The
>> Lionel had a center rail for power.
>
> I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
> two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build that
> the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a permanent
> short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined the outbound
> left rail (and vice versa).

ISTM that A C Gilbert also developed the erector sets...

http://www.girdersandgears.com/erector.html

--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

philo

Nov 1, 2017, 9:14:49 AM11/1/17
I still have my Erector Set

btw this is interesting:

http://michaelthompsonart.com/section/208799-Metal-Sculptures.html

(I've exhibited my photos in the same show where his work was on display)

Charles Richmond

Nov 1, 2017, 12:24:34 PM11/1/17
ISTM that a clever person could use non-conductive pieces to connect the
track at yhe cross-over point... then cross-connect the metal track
with a couple of wires. Heck, the company producing the two-rail model
trains could sell a special piece of track that would do this for you in
a neat way.

There might need to be a half inch break in the contact with the power
rails... but the train's momentum ought to carry over that. The electric
motor in the locomotive might auto-disconnect from the wheels at that
time so as *not* to impede the momentum. Perhaps the electric motor
could be engaged to the wheels with a coil like a relay... when the coil
lost current, a spring would withdraw the motor. The motor would
re-engage when the power flow resumed.

So the locomotive might be more expensive and require more electric
power... but you would *not* have to buy an entirely new train layout!

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 1, 2017, 3:10:34 PM11/1/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:00:32 PM UTC-4, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

> I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
> two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build that
> the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a permanent
> short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined the outbound
> left rail (and vice versa).

In certain layout designs, insulated rail joints were required for
the above reason. A friend's layout was complex, and he needed DPDT
knife switches to route power to the various sections.

Model train sets were expensive. I was happy to get a very basic
layout as a child, and I suspect in today's prices it would've
cost over $100. I remember wanting to expand it and finding
a better powerpack, locomotive, nicer cars, buildings, etc.,
rather expensive and beyond my budget. (There was also the problem
of limited space in the house.)

There was a company, Plasticville, that made accessories.
https://books.google.com/books?id=NlB4fETveiEC&lpg=PA60&dq=boys%20life%20plasticville&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q=boys%20life%20plasticville&f=false

I believe the American Flyer sets used "S" gauge, which is still
offered today. Lionel used "O" gauge. IIRC, both used AC power
for the trains, which meant some gyrations were necessary to make
the train back up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Flyer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_scale

Today the powerpacks are electronic.

Quadibloc

Nov 2, 2017, 12:45:38 AM11/2/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 5:00:32 PM UTC-6, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

> I had an HO set by a British company, Tri-ang. The one thing about the
> two-rail tracks was that there were some layouts you couldn't build that
> the three-rail tracks could. A return loop would generate a permanent
> short circuit when the right rail looped around and joined the outbound
> left rail (and vice versa).

What they did about that was to design the switches - the railroad track
switches - so that they were insulated. That way, one sets up one's layout so
that when one changes a switch, one also changes the polarity of loop sections
at the same time where applicable.

John Savard

Chris J Dixon

Nov 2, 2017, 7:46:40 AM11/2/17
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>Model train sets were expensive. I was happy to get a very basic
>layout as a child, and I suspect in today's prices it would've
>cost over $100. I remember wanting to expand it and finding
>a better powerpack, locomotive, nicer cars, buildings, etc.,
>rather expensive and beyond my budget.

I did have a train set, and eventually set it up on a baseboard
(which I eventually realised was the middle from a roller
blackboard my dad must have acquired from the school where he
taught), complete with Airfix station and sundry other buildings.
There was also the "Blue Peter" railway tunnel, a wondrous
construction of wood, cardboard and papier mache, with
stone-effect portals.

The big disappointment was that it was a cheap Palitoy set, and
no points were available, so I was stuck with a simple oval.

For my younger brother a goodly quantity of second hand Hornby
clockwork stuff was bought, so this did at least provide the
opportunity for extensive temporary installations around the
house.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Plant amazing Acers.

Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Nov 2, 2017, 8:07:26 AM11/2/17
On 02/11/2017 11:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> I did have a train set, and eventually set it up on a baseboard
> (which I eventually realised was the middle from a roller
> blackboard my dad must have acquired from the school where he
> taught), complete with Airfix station and sundry other buildings.
> There was also the "Blue Peter" railway tunnel, a wondrous
> construction of wood, cardboard and papier mache, with
> stone-effect portals.
>
> The big disappointment was that it was a cheap Palitoy set, and
> no points were available, so I was stuck with a simple oval.
>
> For my younger brother a goodly quantity of second hand Hornby
> clockwork stuff was bought, so this did at least provide the
> opportunity for extensive temporary installations around the
> house.

From about 1955 my brother and I had a second-hand Hornby Dublo
3-rail set up, with subsequent birthdays and Xmasses adding to
the stable of engines.

Sadly, during a period of lack of railway interest, I gave it
all to my godson, but I can still remember the clang when
the diecast level crossing gates shut. We had it all in the
original boxes, including a tinplate travelling post office,
which, to bring it back on topic, is now folklore, and that is
one sad thing about engineering design for a usable solution to
humanity's problems is very rapidly overtaken, no more so
than in the world of computing.

(The GPO film, "The Night Mail" was televised yesterday, filmed
in 1936, and, apart from the railway lines themselves, everything
else, including the people, has gone the way of the Dodo )

Sad that 32-bit computers with megabytes of memory and gigabytes
of disk storage is scrap when you upgrade your home machines!

maus

Nov 2, 2017, 9:03:57 AM11/2/17
There are, AFAIK, several tourist-targeted steam trains in the UK at the moment.

> Sad that 32-bit computers with megabytes of memory and gigabytes
> of disk storage is scrap when you upgrade your home machines!

--
greymaus.ireland.ie
Just_Another_Grumpy_Old_Man

JimP

Nov 2, 2017, 10:59:07 AM11/2/17
On 2 Nov 2017 13:03:56 GMT, maus <ma...@mail.com> wrote:

>On 2017-11-02, Gareth's Downstairs Computer <headstone255.but.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 02/11/2017 11:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>>
>> 3-rail set up, with subsequent birthdays and Xmasses adding to
>> the stable of engines.
>>
>> Sadly, during a period of lack of railway interest, I gave it
>> all to my godson, but I can still remember the clang when
>> the diecast level crossing gates shut. We had it all in the
>> original boxes, including a tinplate travelling post office,
>> which, to bring it back on topic, is now folklore, and that is
>> one sad thing about engineering design for a usable solution to
>> humanity's problems is very rapidly overtaken, no more so
>> than in the world of computing.
>>
>> (The GPO film, "The Night Mail" was televised yesterday, filmed
>> in 1936, and, apart from the railway lines themselves, everything
>> else, including the people, has gone the way of the Dodo )
>
>There are, AFAIK, several tourist-targeted steam trains in the UK at the moment.

There are some steam lcomotive restoration groups in the U.S. who have
excursions.

I saw some on this rail fan site years ago:

http://railfan.net/

Scott Lurndal

Nov 2, 2017, 11:23:15 AM11/2/17
Up until a couple of years ago, they ran a steam train from San Jose
to San Francisco once a year (the Freedom Train on MLK day).

The California Railway museum runs steam excursions daily in
downtown Sacramento. Roaring Camp Railway runs narrow gauge steam daily in
Felton, California. There are several others in the state, as well.

Bob Eager

Nov 2, 2017, 2:18:19 PM11/2/17
In the UK, a brand new locomotive was built from the original plans, and
is now running trips.

https://www.a1steam.com/

Charles Richmond

Nov 2, 2017, 3:37:13 PM11/2/17
In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area:

The Grapevine Vintage Railroad travels along the historic Cotton Belt
Route from Grapevine to the Fort Worth Stockyards. The Railroad is
serviced by two vintage locomotives which include “Puffy” the 1896 steam
locomotive, which is the oldest continuously operating steam engine in
the South, and “Vinny” the 1953 GP-7 diesel locomotive. Passengers enjoy
riding in authentic 1920s Victorian-style coaches as they take a step
back in time and experience train travel as it was in the glory days of
the expanding West. Pull into the Fort Worth Stockyards Station and you
are right in the middle of the Stockyards National Historic District
where the Old West comes alive.

If you are already in the Fort Worth Stockyards, enjoy the Trinity River
Ride, a one-hour round trip departing Stockyards Station that travels
along the Chisolm Trail and crosses the Trinity River to 8th Avenue and
back.

2017 Schedule

Monday, May 29 Memorial Day

June 2 – August 20 Friday, Saturday and Sunday

August 26 – November 19 Saturday and Sunday

Monday, September 4 Labor Day

Friday, October 27 Halloween Themed Train

November 24 – December 23 North Pole Express

November 30 & December 15 Christmas Wine Train – Grapevine

December 7 Christmas Wine Train – Fort Worth

December 26 – 30 After Christmas Trains
Schedule:

Saturdays and Sundays only until Memorial Day (it will run Memorial
Day). Friday-Sunday trips begin June 3rd until Labor Day (train will run
Labor Day). On Spring Break, March 14-18, the train will run every day.

2:30 p.m.: Train arrives at Stockyards Station
2:45 p.m.: Trinity River Ride departs
4:05 p.m.: Train re-boards in the Stockyards
4:15 p.m.: Train returns to Grapevine

Prices:

Trinity River Ride: $15 for first class and $10 for touring.
Round trip from Grapevine: $26 for first class and $18 for touring.
One way trip to Grapevine: $23 for first class and $15 for touring.

**Schedule is subject to change.

http://stockyardsstation.com/attractions/grapevine-vintage-railroad/

D. Glenn Arthur Jr.

Nov 3, 2017, 12:20:56 AM11/3/17
>JimP <solo...@gmail.com> writes:
>>On 2 Nov 2017 13:03:56 GMT, maus <ma...@mail.com> wrote:
>>>There are, AFAIK, several tourist-targeted steam trains in the UK at
>the moment.
>>
>>There are some steam lcomotive restoration groups in the U.S. who have
>>excursions.
>>
>>I saw some on this rail fan site years ago:
>>
>>http://railfan.net/

To tie live steam back to scale-model railroading, I live not too far
away from these folks: http://calslivesteam.org

They have a model railroad layout in a Baltimore, MD park. On which
they run model steam trains -- a raised loop of 4" track on which
they demonstrate wee trains (the one I saw running on that was propane
powered), and about a kilometer of ground-level track in a larger guage
(7.5") on which they run coal powered trains and give free rides to the
public.

The story I was told the last time I was there was that they asked the
city if they could build a railroad in a park, and the city said, "We'll
lease you the land on the condition that you give people rides," and
CALS said, "We'll be allowed to give people rides? Yay!" (I also heard
the lease fee was basically a token amount, which seems apropriate since
from the city's POV they're getting a free enhancement to the park.)
--
D. Glenn Arthur Jr./The Human Vibrator, dgl...@panix.com
Due to hand/wrist problems my newsreading time varies so I may miss followups.