IBM 1403 Printer Characters

Charles Richmond

Nov 16, 2017, 11:33:33 AM11/16/17
Can anyone post links to web pages... that have a large amount of sample
printouts from an IBM 1403 printer??? I have googled this subject with
little success.

I am interested in the sans serif monospaced font that seems to be the
original 1403 font. I had access at university to a 1403 printer but
was *not* prescient enough to save printouts...

Thanx in advance!

--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Nov 16, 2017, 12:26:22 PM11/16/17
Charles Richmond <nume...@aquaporin4.com> writes:
> Can anyone post links to web pages... that have a large amount of
> sample printouts from an IBM 1403 printer??? I have googled this
> subject with little success.
>
> I am interested in the sans serif monospaced font that seems to be the
> original 1403 font. I had access at university to a 1403 printer but
> was *not* prescient enough to save printouts...

also see all the cp67 documentation at bitsavers
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cms/
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cms/GY20-0591-1_CMS_PLM_Oct71.pdf
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cp67/
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cp67/GH20-0856-0_CP-67_Operators_Guide_Oct70.pdf
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cp67/GH20-0859-0_CP67_Version_3_Users_Guide_Oct70.pdf

the above have some of the IBM pages non-1403 ... but just about
all the rest are 1403.

Peter Flass

Nov 16, 2017, 3:27:45 PM11/16/17
Isn't there a 1403 printer font available already?

--
Pete

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 16, 2017, 4:01:42 PM11/16/17
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 12:26:22 PM UTC-5, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> Charles Richmond writes:
> > Can anyone post links to web pages... that have a large amount of
> > sample printouts from an IBM 1403 printer??? I have googled this
> > subject with little success.
> >
> > I am interested in the sans serif monospaced font that seems to be the
> > original 1403 font. I had access at university to a 1403 printer but
> > was *not* prescient enough to save printouts...
>
> also see all the cp67 documentation at bitsavers
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cms/

In the above, on page 350, the listing looks very high
quality, too good for a 1403 (the letters are well spaced).
Could that have been printed on a 407?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Nov 16, 2017, 4:35:50 PM11/16/17
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017j.html#51 IBM 1403 Printer Characters

big difference with printed output of ADT macro ... file pg227 (document
pg216). Finished printing would use TN train/chain with high quality
"film" ribbon (letter edges were crisper). The macro output looks like
standard upper case only train/chain with standard fabric ribbon.

mentions (fabric) ribbons repeatedly reused
http://ibm-1401.info/1403Ribbons.html
film ribbons one time use
http://ibm-1401.info/1403Ribbons.html#FilmRibbons

quicky search web references on 1403 font
http://ibm-1401.info/1403Fonts.html
https://slantedhall.com/fonts/1403

Kerr-Mudd,John

Nov 17, 2017, 7:13:05 AM11/17/17
Anne & Lynn Wheeler <ly...@garlic.com> wrote in
$90 per user?!

Quadibloc

Nov 17, 2017, 9:01:51 AM11/17/17
There are books on Bitsavers with illustrations of the different print trains for the 1403 and other IBM printers.

Quadibloc

Nov 17, 2017, 11:24:57 AM11/17/17
This page

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/1403/

has a download link for the document GA24-3073-8, which is the IBM 1403 printer
component description. That illustrates the complete character set for several
print trains.

John Savard