Computer identification

Andreas Kohlbach

Nov 2, 2017, 6:09:29 PM11/2/17
Was watching a British TV movie called "Sweeney!" which aired in the UK
in 1977, and spotted a computer or terminal I have never seen before,
thus took a screenshot, see <http://www.ankman.de/unknown_comp.jpg>.

Seems when watching it, that there was a phone cable plugged into the
front of the computer/terminal and the guy there makes a phone call. I
couldn't see *why* they would use the computer though for this phone
call.

Since it's a British movie it might be possible it's an European product
and thus unknown in the US. Movie was shot April and May 1976.
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if

Andy Burns

Nov 2, 2017, 6:44:12 PM11/2/17
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

> spotted a computer or terminal I have never seen before,
> thus took a screenshot,
> see <http://www.ankman.de/unknown_comp.jpg>

Looks like a Tektronix 4051

<http://www.datormuseum.se/computers/others/tektronix-4051>

Dave Garland

Nov 2, 2017, 8:00:06 PM11/2/17
On 11/2/2017 5:09 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Was watching a British TV movie called "Sweeney!" which aired in the UK
> in 1977, and spotted a computer or terminal I have never seen before,
> thus took a screenshot, see <http://www.ankman.de/unknown_comp.jpg>.
>
> Seems when watching it, that there was a phone cable plugged into the
> front of the computer/terminal and the guy there makes a phone call. I
> couldn't see *why* they would use the computer though for this phone
> call.

Just a guess, but typical modems had 2 jacks, one to connect to the
phone line outlet, and the other to connect a phone. So everything
would connect to a single phone outlet, and you wouldn't lose your
ability to have a phone by plugging the modem in. (The phone would be
disabled during periods when the modem was active.) This would only
work for single-line phones (not enough phone showing in that pic to
tell if it's single or multi-line).

Charlie Gibbs

Nov 3, 2017, 2:27:24 PM11/3/17
On 2017-11-02, Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:

> Was watching a British TV movie called "Sweeney!" which aired in the UK
> in 1977, and spotted a computer or terminal I have never seen before,
> thus took a screenshot, see <http://www.ankman.de/unknown_comp.jpg>.
>
> Seems when watching it, that there was a phone cable plugged into the
> front of the computer/terminal and the guy there makes a phone call. I
> couldn't see *why* they would use the computer though for this phone
> call.
>
> Since it's a British movie it might be possible it's an European product
> and thus unknown in the US. Movie was shot April and May 1976.

Is that a QIC tape cartridge slot to the right of the screen?

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

Andreas Kohlbach

Nov 3, 2017, 5:08:25 PM11/3/17
On 3 Nov 2017 18:26:48 GMT, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

> On 2017-11-02, Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
>
>> Was watching a British TV movie called "Sweeney!" which aired in the UK
>> in 1977, and spotted a computer or terminal I have never seen before,
>> thus took a screenshot, see <http://www.ankman.de/unknown_comp.jpg>.
>>
>> Seems when watching it, that there was a phone cable plugged into the
>> front of the computer/terminal and the guy there makes a phone call. I
>> couldn't see *why* they would use the computer though for this phone
>> call.
>>
>> Since it's a British movie it might be possible it's an European product
>> and thus unknown in the US. Movie was shot April and May 1976.
>
> Is that a QIC tape cartridge slot to the right of the screen?

I really don't know. But when Andy mentioned Tektronix 4051 I'd say
that's the one. Still not 100% sure though.
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if

Quadibloc

Nov 3, 2017, 8:51:49 PM11/3/17
It's definitely a Tektronix storage-tube terminal, and, yes, that tape
cartridge is like the one on the IBM 5100.

Quadibloc

Nov 3, 2017, 8:56:50 PM11/3/17
It's either a 4051 or a 4052.

brad.s...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2017, 1:37:35 PM11/25/17
On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 5:56:50 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> It's either a 4051 or a 4052.

I have written a Tektronix 4051 simulator that is available on request. It runs on Windows and supports over 40 of the BASIC commands. Contact me for more information. I've also put a series of Introduction to the Tektronix 4051 BASIC videos on youtube.

brad.s...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2017, 1:39:32 PM11/25/17
Also, there is a Tek 4051 BASIC Facebook group. Join for sample graphics and to ask any questions about this system.