Office Machines 1965

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 16, 2019, 1:47:39 PM10/16/19
newspaper supplement with articles and ads on office
machines in 1965, including adding machines, typewriters,
tab machines, bookkeeping machines, data transmission,
and computers

https://books.google.com/books?id=LfFfAAAAIBAJ&lpg=PA56&dq=%22burroughs%22%20%22accounting%20machine%22&pg=PA46#v=onepage&q&f=false

Andy Burns

Oct 16, 2019, 1:57:01 PM10/16/19
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> https://books.google.com/books?id=LfFfAAAAIBAJ&lpg=PA56&dq=%22burroughs%22%20%22accounting%20machine%22&pg=PA46#v=onepage&q&f=false

How about a BOOKS: prefix in the subject for these posts, so those of
use who live in countries where the links tend to be blocked can hide them?

Quadibloc

Oct 16, 2019, 2:45:05 PM10/16/19
This one isn't blocked, at least in Canada.

John Savard

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 16, 2019, 2:56:38 PM10/16/19
I wouldn't think it'd be blocked in Canada since it's a
Canandian newspaper.

Unfortunately, while there are a great many vintage publications
on googlebooks, they mostly seem to be now "snippet view"
and thus not postable. So, there won't be anymore postings.

Of course, maybe other group participants would like to try
to dig out legacy articles and ads and share the links.

Scott Lurndal

Oct 16, 2019, 3:20:01 PM10/16/19
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com writes:

>Of course, maybe other group participants would like to try
>to dig out legacy articles and ads and share the links.

I just pulled 7 years of the Hewlett Packard Journal (1978-1985) from the
attic. Interesting articles about the design of various test instruments
and computers (HP 1000, HP-85, HP-87, et alia). One had a nice introduction
to gas chromatography.

Looks like HP has them on-line; albeit the scans aren't great in some cases.

https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/hpjindex.html

Quadibloc

Oct 16, 2019, 6:05:32 PM10/16/19
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 12:56:38 PM UTC-6, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Unfortunately, while there are a great many vintage publications
> on googlebooks, they mostly seem to be now "snippet view"
> and thus not postable.

Even things from before 1923, which are in the public domain, may not be
viewable if the owner of the copy that was scanned did not give Google
permission. So there are some public-domain items, not viewable on Google Books,
that can be viewed instead on the Hathi Trust web site.

John Savard

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 17, 2019, 2:32:13 PM10/17/19
It is weird what is and isn't available on google. For
instance, I found one old edition of ELECTRONICS. All
the others are snippet view only. Why is that?

There is another resource, archive.org. That has a ton of
stuff, but I've yet to go through it.