Injudicious Use of Stock Photo

Quadibloc

Oct 18, 2019, 11:33:59 AM10/18/19
To illustrate a newspaper article discussion of how fast typists can take dictation over the telephone...

the Daily Mail used a stock photo of a woman's hands typing on a computer keyboard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7525627/The-fastest-phone-typers-tap-85-words-minute-touchscreens-match-keyboard-users.html

You'll have to scroll down a bit.

What was wrong with that picture?

John Savard

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 18, 2019, 2:04:41 PM10/18/19
You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
as some of the garbage I've seen since.

As for the use of auto-completion (and -correct) to improve throughput,
I wonder how much this is influencing people's vocabulary. It might
discourage the use of words which aren't in the dictionary used by
the auto-completion algorithm (said dictionary might be deliberately
abridged in the name of space and speed).

But, dictionary or not, people will still talk like B1FF because it's ]<00L.

I'll give up my keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
/ \ "Alexa, define 'bugging'."

Peter Flass

Oct 18, 2019, 2:21:28 PM10/18/19
Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2019-10-18, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> To illustrate a newspaper article discussion of how fast typists
>> can take dictation over the telephone...
>>
>> the Daily Mail used a stock photo of a woman's hands typing on a
>> computer keyboard.
>>
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7525627/The-fastest-phone-typers-tap-85-words-minute-touchscreens-match-keyboard-users.html
>>
>> You'll have to scroll down a bit.
>>
>> What was wrong with that picture?
>
> You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
> as some of the garbage I've seen since.
>
> As for the use of auto-completion (and -correct) to improve throughput,
> I wonder how much this is influencing people's vocabulary. It might
> discourage the use of words which aren't in the dictionary used by
> the auto-completion algorithm (said dictionary might be deliberately
> abridged in the name of space and speed).
>
> But, dictionary or not, people will still talk like B1FF because it's ]<00L.
>
> I'll give up my keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I typically use my iPad touchscreen keyboard, and usually get several
errors per line - that I notice and correct. Lots of errors still get
thru. I have autocorrect turned off; it’s on on my phone and I get more
errors there because of it.

--
Pete

Quadibloc

Oct 18, 2019, 6:12:20 PM10/18/19
On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 12:04:41 PM UTC-6, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2019-10-18, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> > What was wrong with that picture?

> You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
> as some of the garbage I've seen since.

Yes, I meant the Commodore 64. But I was not thinking of the merits of its
keyboard in terms of tactile feedback or such attributes, but instead that the
computer behind that keyboard was unlikely to be used these days for any serious
purpose.

John Savard

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 18, 2019, 7:59:14 PM10/18/19
On 2019-10-18, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 12:04:41 PM UTC-6, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>
>> On 2019-10-18, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>>> What was wrong with that picture?
>>
>> You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
>> as some of the garbage I've seen since.
>
> Yes, I meant the Commodore 64. But I was not thinking of the merits of its
> keyboard in terms of tactile feedback or such attributes, but instead that
> the computer behind that keyboard was unlikely to be used these days for
> any serious purpose.

You never know. That C64 might be running a terminal emulator
talking to a Unix supercomputer. :-)

Mike Spencer

Oct 19, 2019, 2:39:00 AM10/19/19

Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> writes:

> You never know. That C64 might be running a terminal emulator
> talking to a Unix supercomputer. :-)

I was using an Osborne 1 with a terminal emulator to log into 2 Unix
accounts and a VMS account until the mid 90s. A friend from MIT
expressed amzement at seeing Emacs running on the already long
obsolete green-text monitor.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 19, 2019, 5:30:04 AM10/19/19
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 12:04:41 PM UTC-6, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> > On 2019-10-18, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> > > What was wrong with that picture?
>
> > You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
> > as some of the garbage I've seen since.
>
> Yes, I meant the Commodore 64. But I was not thinking of the merits of

Here was me thinking the hands were in a terrible position for
typing and those nails would probably not survive a day of typing.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

Quadibloc

Oct 19, 2019, 1:11:42 PM10/19/19
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 3:30:04 AM UTC-6, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> Here was me thinking the hands were in a terrible position for
> typing and those nails would probably not survive a day of typing.

Given that they used a Commodore 64 as the keyboard, that the photo was merely
staged, and that clumsily, is hardly surprising. So I stopped looking before I saw
what you did.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Oct 19, 2019, 1:16:58 PM10/19/19
Looking at the photo again... oh, yes, that obviously is not someone engaged in
typing. Perhaps playing music, with the keys acting like those of a piano? Or
the hands are posed to suggest the idea of typing, except that they're typing as
many letters at once as there are fingers?

But without the Commodore 64, that is still just a bad stock photo instead of a
ludicrous one.

John Savard

Bob Eager

Oct 19, 2019, 2:26:28 PM10/19/19
Not as bad as the famous soldering iron.

https://petapixel.com/2016/03/16/need-know-subject-stock-photographer/

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 19, 2019, 2:47:15 PM10/19/19
I've loved that photo ever since a friend sent me a copy.

But scroll farther down the page - you'll find a skimpily-clad
woman in the same pose. All I could do was shudder at the
thought of a blob of molten solder falling down her cleavage...

Robert Swindells

Oct 19, 2019, 4:26:42 PM10/19/19
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:45:03 +0000, Huge wrote:

> If the Das Keyboards were a bit cheaper, I'd buy one to see if they
> were any good.)

A bit cheaper than DAS keyboards are Filco ones, I'm very happy with
one that I bought recently.

Bob Eager

Oct 19, 2019, 5:03:46 PM10/19/19
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 18:46:42 +0000, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

> On 2019-10-19, Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> wrote:

>>> Looking at the photo again... oh, yes, that obviously is not someone
>>> engaged in typing. Perhaps playing music, with the keys acting like
>>> those of a piano? Or the hands are posed to suggest the idea of
>>> typing, except that they're typing as many letters at once as there
>>> are fingers?
>>>
>>> But without the Commodore 64, that is still just a bad stock photo
>>> instead of a ludicrous one.
>>
>> Not as bad as the famous soldering iron.
>>
>> https://petapixel.com/2016/03/16/need-know-subject-stock-photographer/
>
> I've loved that photo ever since a friend sent me a copy.
>
> But scroll farther down the page - you'll find a skimpily-clad woman in
> the same pose. All I could do was shudder at the thought of a blob of
> molten solder falling down her cleavage...

If I'm doing a lot of soldering or similar, I wear a thick cotton apron...

J. Clarke

Oct 19, 2019, 6:49:18 PM10/19/19
I used to use Unicomps, right now I'm using a Logitech gamer board and
it feels every bit as good. Bit noisy for the office though,
otherwise I'd take it in.

Quadibloc

Oct 19, 2019, 6:51:26 PM10/19/19
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 4:49:18 PM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:

> I used to use Unicomps, right now I'm using a Logitech gamer board and
> it feels every bit as good. Bit noisy for the office though,
> otherwise I'd take it in.

Buckling springs make a great typing keyboard. But for gaming, you want a linear
switch instead, which is available by getting one of those mechanical gaming
keyboards with Cherry or ALPS switches. Or at least, so I've heard.

John Savard

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 20, 2019, 2:00:14 AM10/20/19
On 19 Oct 2019 18:26:25 GMT
Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> wrote:

> Not as bad as the famous soldering iron.
>
> https://petapixel.com/2016/03/16/need-know-subject-stock-photographer/

Thank you I needed a good laugh, the comments on how bad the
photographs are miss the detail that that soldering iron is completely
unsuited for fine work, it appears to have a 1/4" pencil bit. Oh and wot no
earthing strap.

This could be like those kids 'spot the difference' games - 'spot
all the mistakes'.

Gene Wirchenko

Oct 20, 2019, 3:10:06 AM10/20/19
On 18 Oct 2019 18:04:11 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]

>I'll give up my keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Holding that tight a grip on your keyboard must really mess with
your typing speed.

I just snarl.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Gene Wirchenko

Oct 20, 2019, 3:10:44 AM10/20/19
On 19 Oct 2019 18:46:42 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]

>But scroll farther down the page - you'll find a skimpily-clad
>woman in the same pose. All I could do was shudder at the
>thought of a blob of molten solder falling down her cleavage...

Think of the jiggle?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Kerr-Mudd,John

Oct 20, 2019, 8:51:07 AM10/20/19
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 07:10:03 GMT, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2019 18:04:11 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>I'll give up my keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

On the internet, no-one knows you're a zombie.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Jan van den Broek

Oct 22, 2019, 3:51:45 PM10/22/19
Sun, 20 Oct 2019 06:35:29 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> schrieb:

[Schnipp]

> This could be like those kids 'spot the difference' games - 'spot
>all the mistakes'.

Regarding "spot the difference", ten/fifteen years ago, Microsoft had ads
with two photographs in almost the same settings:
-- Tired, unhappy developers without Visual Studio
-- Fresh, happy developers with Visual Studio

The differences between those two were easy to spot, but the interesting
thing (at least to me) was that the pictures also slightly differed per
country.

--
A tuna is a way of Liff

Jan v/d Broek
balg...@xs4all.nl

Jan van den Broek

Oct 22, 2019, 3:51:45 PM10/22/19
Sat, 19 Oct 2019 10:17:56 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> schrieb:
>On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
>Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>> > You mean the Commodore 64? It's probably not as bad a keyboard
>> > as some of the garbage I've seen since.
>>
>> Yes, I meant the Commodore 64. But I was not thinking of the merits of
>
> Here was me thinking the hands were in a terrible position for
>typing and those nails would probably not survive a day of typing.

I remember a secretary using a pencil when typing, to avoid breaking her
nails.
She didn't last long.

David Wade

Oct 23, 2019, 6:04:54 AM10/23/19
On the contrary I remember a key2disk operator who had really long nails
and who could still manage around 15 to 20,000 key depressions an hour
with good accuracy. Every thing was double keyed so we knew she was
accurate!

To achieve this she sat low and kept here palms as low as possible. she
was stunning to watch. Of course as is the way of things, she was
promoted to shift leader......

Dave

Jorgen Grahn

Oct 23, 2019, 7:00:17 AM10/23/19
On Tue, 2019-10-22, Jan van den Broek wrote:
> Regarding "spot the difference", ten/fifteen years ago, Microsoft had ads
> with two photographs in almost the same settings:
> -- Tired, unhappy developers without Visual Studio
> -- Fresh, happy developers with Visual Studio
>
> The differences between those two were easy to spot, but the interesting
> thing (at least to me) was that the pictures also slightly differed per
> country.

How did they differ? Ethnicity and stuff, or do happy developers look
different in different countries?

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Peter Flass

Oct 23, 2019, 3:15:38 PM10/23/19
Jorgen Grahn <grahn...@snipabacken.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-10-22, Jan van den Broek wrote:
>> Regarding "spot the difference", ten/fifteen years ago, Microsoft had ads
>> with two photographs in almost the same settings:
>> -- Tired, unhappy developers without Visual Studio
>> -- Fresh, happy developers with Visual Studio
>>
>> The differences between those two were easy to spot, but the interesting
>> thing (at least to me) was that the pictures also slightly differed per
>> country.
>
> How did they differ? Ethnicity and stuff, or do happy developers look
> different in different countries?

Dress differently? Fewer women?

--
Pete

Peter Flass

Oct 23, 2019, 3:15:38 PM10/23/19
Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.

--
Pete

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 23, 2019, 5:05:41 PM10/23/19
On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:

> Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
> glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
> operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
> show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.

IBM once made a discounted keypunch with a numeric-only keyboard.
(Some older tab machines were numeric only).

I can't imagine punching numeric-only all day.

Likewise, there was a job category known as a "statistical
typist" who typed numbers in charts. Wouldn't want that.

googlegroups jmfbahciv

Oct 24, 2019, 1:36:20 PM10/24/19
On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:
In Tape Prep, one could read/learn the code we typed; or we could
read the internal memos we typed. I learned a lot about the
manufacturing business and DEC's business, development, and secrets
by doing that "data entry". I also tested the hell out of the
monitor and CUSP software which was a lot of fun. I saved a lot
of embarrassment and customer angst by uncovering and reporting
all the bugs I found. That was fun.

/BAH

Charlie Gibbs

Oct 24, 2019, 2:48:06 PM10/24/19
On 2019-10-23, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com <hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:
>
>> Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
>> glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
>> operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
>> show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.
>
> IBM once made a discounted keypunch with a numeric-only keyboard.
> (Some older tab machines were numeric only).

Numeric-only keyboards were indeed a lower-cost option.
I once saw a perfectly dreadful sci-fi movie titled
_The Brain Machine_. It did have nice shots of a
360/50 machine room, though. But next to the 1052
they had a 2260 with colour CCTV images superimposed
on its screen - and the keyboard was numeric-only,
I suppose the producer wanted to give it a strange,
futuristic look.

> I can't imagine punching numeric-only all day.

Nevertheless, thousands of keypunch operators did exactly that.

> Likewise, there was a job category known as a "statistical
> typist" who typed numbers in charts. Wouldn't want that.

It's a living, I guess...

Don Poitras

Oct 24, 2019, 4:04:03 PM10/24/19
Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2019-10-23, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com <hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
> >> glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
> >> operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
> >> show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.
> >
> > IBM once made a discounted keypunch with a numeric-only keyboard.
> > (Some older tab machines were numeric only).
> Numeric-only keyboards were indeed a lower-cost option.
> I once saw a perfectly dreadful sci-fi movie titled
> _The Brain Machine_. It did have nice shots of a
> 360/50 machine room, though. But next to the 1052
> they had a 2260 with colour CCTV images superimposed
> on its screen - and the keyboard was numeric-only,
> I suppose the producer wanted to give it a strange,
> futuristic look.
> > I can't imagine punching numeric-only all day.
> Nevertheless, thousands of keypunch operators did exactly that.
> > Likewise, there was a job category known as a "statistical
> > typist" who typed numbers in charts. Wouldn't want that.
> It's a living, I guess...

My dad was a radio operator in WWII (merchant marines). It wasn't voice, but
morse code. We used to try to get him to tap out our names and such and he'd
say, "I never really learned the letters, all we would tap out was numbers."
The messages were encrypted, so he never knew what he was sending or receiving.

--
Don Poitras

Gene Wirchenko

Oct 24, 2019, 4:52:41 PM10/24/19
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT), hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:
>
>> Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
>> glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
>> operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
>> show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.
>
>IBM once made a discounted keypunch with a numeric-only keyboard.
>(Some older tab machines were numeric only).
>
>I can't imagine punching numeric-only all day.

I can. I knew of someone whose job was double-entering numerical
data all day. She was good. She could carry on a conversation while
entering at speed except for the occasional times.

>Likewise, there was a job category known as a "statistical
>typist" who typed numbers in charts. Wouldn't want that.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jan van den Broek

Oct 25, 2019, 10:52:31 AM10/25/19
23 Oct 2019 11:00:15 GMT
Jorgen Grahn <grahn...@snipabacken.se> schrieb:
>On Tue, 2019-10-22, Jan van den Broek wrote:
>> Regarding "spot the difference", ten/fifteen years ago, Microsoft had ads
>> with two photographs in almost the same settings:
>> -- Tired, unhappy developers without Visual Studio
>> -- Fresh, happy developers with Visual Studio
>>
>> The differences between those two were easy to spot, but the interesting
>> thing (at least to me) was that the pictures also slightly differed per
>> country.
>
>How did they differ? Ethnicity and stuff, or do happy developers look
>different in different countries?

Mainly etnicity, iirc.
--
Jan van den Broek
balg...@xs4all.nl 0xAFDAD00D

googlegroups jmfbahciv

Oct 30, 2019, 2:07:21 PM10/30/19
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:52:41 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT), hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-4, Peter Flass wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, unlike programmers promoted to management, she may have been
> >> glad to get out. On the other hand I knew people who enjoyed being keypunch
> >> operators - no overtime, usually not much stress, camaraderie, etc. Just
> >> show up and enter a meditative state for a few hours.
> >
> >IBM once made a discounted keypunch with a numeric-only keyboard.
> >(Some older tab machines were numeric only).
> >
> >I can't imagine punching numeric-only all day.
>
> I can. I knew of someone whose job was double-entering numerical
> data all day. She was good. She could carry on a conversation while
> entering at speed except for the occasional times.

the signal from seeing the number to typing it skips the cognitive
part of the brain. I can enter alphanumeric data very fast if I
don't think about it.

/BAH
Message has been deleted

Hill Stone

Mar 16, 2023, 1:43:57 AM3/16/23
середа, 30 жовтня 2019 р. о 18:07:21 UTC googlegroups jmfbahciv пише:
Stock photos are a lifesaver for content creators. Often there is simply not enough time and resources to take the required number of photos, and on the stock in one click you can find cool photos on absolutely any topic. Recently, I took sun images here https://depositphotos.com/stock-photos/sun.html and, at the request of the customer, made an quickly post, it turned out great.

maus

Mar 16, 2023, 4:31:51 AM3/16/23
On 2023-03-16, Hill Stone <etnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> середа, 30 жовтня 2019 р. о 18:07:21 UTC googlegroups jmfbahciv пише:
> Stock photos are a lifesaver for content creators. Often there is simply not enough time and resources to take the required number of photos, and on the stock in one click you can find cool photos on absolutely any topic. Recently, I took <a href="https://depositphotos.com/stock-photos/sun.html">sun images</a> from there and, at the request of the customer, made an quickly post, it turned out great.

/BAH returns?

--
grey...@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Jan van den Broek

Mar 16, 2023, 5:15:23 AM3/16/23
2023-03-16, maus <ma...@mail.com> schrieb:
> On 2023-03-16, Hill Stone <etnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ??????, 30 ?????? 2019??. ? 18:07:21 UTC googlegroups jmfbahciv ????:
^^^^

[Schnipp]

>>> /BAH

> /BAH returns?

No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.

--
"There's an eyeball in my Martini"

Jan v/d Broek balg...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

maus

Mar 16, 2023, 5:21:02 AM3/16/23
On 2023-03-16, Jan van den Broek <balg...@sdf.org> wrote:
> 2023-03-16, maus <ma...@mail.com> schrieb:
>> On 2023-03-16, Hill Stone <etnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ??????, 30 ?????? 2019??. ? 18:07:21 UTC googlegroups jmfbahciv ????:
> ^^^^
>
> [Schnipp]

>> /BAH returns?
>
> No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.

Google groups, more than gmail.

D.J.

Mar 16, 2023, 11:41:54 AM3/16/23
On 16 Mar 2023 09:21:00 GMT, maus <ma...@mail.com> wrote:
>On 2023-03-16, Jan van den Broek <balg...@sdf.org> wrote:
>> ^^^^
>>
>> [Schnipp]

>>> /BAH returns?
>>
>> No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.
>>

>Google groups, more than gmail.

Stock photos I saw a few years ago had two soldering pencil iron users
holding the heat dissipation grid, not the handle. If the soldering
pencils had been plugged in, their hands would have been burned.
--
Jim

Dennis Boone

Mar 16, 2023, 3:17:42 PM3/16/23
> Stock photos I saw a few years ago had two soldering pencil iron users
> holding the heat dissipation grid, not the handle. If the soldering
> pencils had been plugged in, their hands would have been burned.

https://www.boredpanda.com/soldering-iron-stock-image-fails/

D.J.

Mar 16, 2023, 6:20:17 PM3/16/23
On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:17:30 +0000, d...@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis
Boone) wrote:
Yup, those are the ones.
--
Jim

Peter Flass

Mar 16, 2023, 8:48:17 PM3/16/23
2019

--
Pete

Peter Flass

Mar 16, 2023, 8:48:18 PM3/16/23
BTDT

--
Pete

Jan van den Broek

Mar 18, 2023, 5:03:54 PM3/18/23
16 Mar 2023 09:21:00 GMT
maus <ma...@mail.com> schrieb:
>On 2023-03-16, Jan van den Broek <balg...@sdf.org> wrote:
>> ^^^^
>>
>> [Schnipp]

>>> /BAH returns?
>>
>> No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.
>>

>Google groups, more than gmail.

You're right, although they seem to go hand in hand.
--
Jan van den Broek balg...@xs4all.nl

Entertaining Quakers since 2005

Sn!pe

Mar 18, 2023, 5:50:10 PM3/18/23
Jan van den Broek <fort...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

[...]

> >> No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.
> >
> >Google groups, more than gmail.
>
> You're right, although they seem to go hand in hand.

A sweeping generalisation, how nice.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Carlos E.R.

Mar 18, 2023, 7:21:38 PM3/18/23
On 1970-01-01 01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:

--***********

What's up with your clock?

It is this header you put:

Reply-By: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00

> 16 Mar 2023 09:21:00 GMT
> maus <ma...@mail.com> schrieb:
>>> ^^^^
>>>
>>> [Schnipp]

>>> No, just a gmail-poster digging up old messages.
>>>

>> Google groups, more than gmail.
>
> You're right, although they seem to go hand in hand.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Scott Lurndal

Mar 19, 2023, 11:08:53 AM3/19/23
"Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> writes:
>On 1970-01-01 01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:
>
>--***********
>
>What's up with your clock?
>
>It is this header you put:
>
>Reply-By: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00

That means that the data used to generate that time
had a value of 32400, which probably means the feature
isn't supported by his MUA or his MUA is misconfigured.

$ date --date='@32400'
Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 PST 1970
$

Carlos E.R.

Mar 19, 2023, 4:29:45 PM3/19/23
On 2023-03-19 18:11, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 15:08:51 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> "Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> writes:
>>> On 1970-01-01 01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:
>>>
>>> --***********
>>>
>>> What's up with your clock?
>>>
>>> It is this header you put:
>>>
>>> Reply-By: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00
>
> He might have added that manually. May be to see if anyone looks into
> headers of posts.

Not normally, but Thunderbird is saying that the date of those posts is
1970, it is visible in the display panel. So I looked inside, and saw:

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: Jan van den Broek <fort...@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Injudicious Use of Stock Photo

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:03:51 CET

All those are headers he created on purpose.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burns

Mar 19, 2023, 5:08:52 PM3/19/23
Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> He might have added that manually. May be to see if anyone looks into
>> headers of posts.
>
> Not normally, but Thunderbird is saying that the date of those posts is
> 1970, it is visible in the display panel. So I looked inside, and saw:
>
> Reply-By: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00

Indeed, what are you even meant to do with a Reply-By: header on usenet?

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1327#section-5.3.4>

Thankfully its a long time since I had to think about X.400

Jan van den Broek

Mar 20, 2023, 3:00:59 AM3/20/23
2023-03-19, Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> schrieb:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 15:08:51 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>
>> "Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> writes:
>>>On 1970-01-01 01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:
>>>
>>>--***********
>>>
>>>What's up with your clock?
>>>
>>>It is this header you put:
>>>
>>>Reply-By: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00
>
> He might have added that manually. May be to see if anyone looks into
> headers of posts.

I'm using this header for years (twenty or so), it's is the first time
someone mentioned noticing this.

Carlos E.R.

Mar 20, 2023, 5:56:48 AM3/20/23
On 2023-03-20 08:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:
> 2023-03-19, Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> schrieb:

>> He might have added that manually. May be to see if anyone looks into
>> headers of posts.
>
> I'm using this header for years (twenty or so), it's is the first time
> someone mentioned noticing this.

Look at the quote header line above, in which it says «On 1970-01-01
01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote». I notice when things break.

This post shows the correct date.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burns

Mar 20, 2023, 6:04:22 AM3/20/23
Carlos E.R. wrote:

> This post shows the correct date.

The *DATE:* header shows 2023
it's the (more or less spurious) *REPLY-BY:* header that shows 1970

Carlos E.R.

Mar 20, 2023, 6:40:49 AM3/20/23
Yes, but I don't understand why Thunderbird, in some of his posts
displays the date on 1970, despite the date header being current. That's
the problem.

The one that is correct shows:

The incorrect one shows:

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burns

Mar 20, 2023, 9:44:59 AM3/20/23
Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I don't understand why Thunderbird, in some of his posts
> displays the date on 1970, despite the date header being current. That's
> the problem.

Well, none of his posts show as 1970 here (even those from before xmas)

D.J.

Mar 20, 2023, 11:23:08 AM3/20/23
And I have a silly organization line.
--
Jim

Vir Campestris

Mar 20, 2023, 1:08:42 PM3/20/23
I see one

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: Jan van den Broek <fort...@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:03:51 CET

But I can't see why that one in particular comes out on that date.

I do note it says his time zone is CET which might explain the 01:00.

Andy

Andy Burns

Mar 20, 2023, 1:33:05 PM3/20/23
Vir Campestris wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> none of his posts show as 1970 here (even those from before xmas)
>
> I see one
> But I can't see why that one in particular comes out on that date.
> I do note it says his time zone is CET which might explain the 01:00.

do you see more than these 6 messages from him?

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/vandenbroek.png>

Carlos E.R.

Mar 20, 2023, 2:58:21 PM3/20/23

Dennis Boone

Mar 20, 2023, 6:01:12 PM3/20/23
> On 1970-01-01 01:00, Jan van den Broek wrote:

> --***********

> What's up with your clock?

I suspect what's going on here is that some (*cough*tbird*cough*)
software is choking on the time zone spec in his date field. A _strict_
interpretation of RFC2822/5322 doesn't include arbitrary time zone spec
strings. You're allowed +/- four digits, or some military zone spec, or
a short list of mostly US-centric TLAs.

Yes, being that strict would violate the principle of "liberal in what
you accept". Yes, it'd be stupid not to accept common time zone
strings, if not pretty much any zone TLA there. Yes, it's software, and
_most_ of it is stupid in some form or another. But the fact that not
everyone sees this suggests there's a variable like different software
in play.

There _is_ a Reply-By: header defined[1] for use with X.400 systems, but
I'd never heard of it until I did a little searching just now, and I
sincerely hope that news readers aren't abusing its purpose somehow.

De

[1] RFC 2156

Carlos E.R.

Mar 20, 2023, 6:40:31 PM3/20/23

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:03:51 CET

> A _strict_
> interpretation of RFC2822/5322 doesn't include arbitrary time zone spec
> strings. You're allowed +/- four digits, or some military zone spec, or
> a short list of mostly US-centric TLAs.
>
> Yes, being that strict would violate the principle of "liberal in what
> you accept". Yes, it'd be stupid not to accept common time zone
> strings, if not pretty much any zone TLA there. Yes, it's software, and
> _most_ of it is stupid in some form or another. But the fact that not
> everyone sees this suggests there's a variable like different software
> in play.

So it resets to the start of time (zeroes?), not that it uses the
"Reply-By" string. It could also have used:

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Dennis Boone

Mar 20, 2023, 10:47:50 PM3/20/23
> So it resets to the start of time (zeroes?), not that it uses the
> "Reply-By" string. It could also have used:

More like the parse failed so it never filled it in, probably,
but yes.

I doubt many newsreaders go fishing for any field other than Date
when they set up a quote like that.

De

Carlos E.R.

Mar 20, 2023, 11:10:50 PM3/20/23
On 2023-03-21 03:47, Dennis Boone wrote:
> > So it resets to the start of time (zeroes?), not that it uses the
> > "Reply-By" string. It could also have used:
>
> More like the parse failed so it never filled it in, probably,
> but yes.

That's what I meant. Fail parse, not filled, so the variable has
whatever value it gets on creation as new by whatever compiler they use,
or the programmer set it intentionally to "zero" when the code creates
it. The 1970 date marks variable not filled. Assuming that 1970... the
lowest value it can hold.

> I doubt many newsreaders go fishing for any field other than Date
> when they set up a quote like that.

Right.

--
Cheers, Carlos.