the past: "Come visit us", "Take your time, trainee"

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Oct 20, 2017, 5:43:05 PM10/20/17
In reviewing corporate employee newsletters from circa 1960, I was
struck by two articles. They showed attitudes that I think were
radically different than espoused by corporations today.

The first was an invitation for branch office staff to visit
the corporate HQ whenever they happen to be in New York City
on vacation. "Someone will be glad to show them around and
answer questions about visiting the city." Today, many
employers assign their workers to a specific floor of a building
and they are not permitted to visit other floors, let alone
visit locations in other places. Security is paramount.

The second was an article about the life of a new trainee. She
found the training class difficult, but the article said the
instruction was very patient and urged the trainee to take her
time to learn the material at her own pace. Today, it seems
companies don't want to invest anything in training, and aren't
too patient if someone is a slow learner.