John Larsgard - A Victim Of Bureaucratic Panic?

Baba Mung

Oct 13, 2001, 1:40:52 PM10/13/01
John Larsgard, the Norwegian who was the subject of Kelly's earlier
post has given me permission to quote from correspondence I have had
with him., so, for those who are interested in John's own version
of actions taken against him by the University of South Alabama and
by local police, here is what he wrote:-

"Following the university's sudden and unexpected decision to remove
me from
the class room with armed police one morning as I was getting ready
for
class, the university has looked back and attempted to find anything
in my
past that may help them establish that I am a threat to public
safety.

Among the things they introduced as "evidence" were one instance
where I got
a citation for parking on the grass in 1998, also they introduced
driving
records (minor moving violations only, and a case that was dropped
about a
year ago.) Most of these matters had nothing to do with the
university
whatsoever. Additionally I had not received any disciplinary
warnings (prior
to Sept. 11.) as the university's response seems to indicate.

Outside of this they were only able to make statements to the effect
that "we
think you may be a threat". They acknowledge that have threatened no
specific
person, nor have I harmed anyone. but "after september 11, we can
take no
chances especially not with someone with foreign background"..."

John Larsgard also referred me to the the Norwegian newspaper story
about the matter. For the original article in that paper, see
http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2001/10/12/287340.html

"Additionally" writes John Larsgard, " excerpts from the article
along with a response from the University was published this AM in
the Mobile Press Register in Mobile, Alabama.

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_
standard.x

sl?/base/news/10029645082148316.xml ..."

If you wish to express an interest in seeing John Larsgard treated
more fairly than appears to have been the case thus far , I am sure
you would find him appreciative.

--
"An eye for an eye and the whole world ends up blind."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Fair Dinkum

Oct 13, 2001, 2:34:04 PM10/13/01
(replying at top)

As presented, this seems to be an outrageous insult to justice and fair play.
But I have not heard anything from the other side. One question which occurs
to me immediately is - did John Larsgard seek advocacy from his faculty advisor
or from the dean of the biochemistry department? That would be the proper way
for him to initially pursue redress -- not through the press.
--
fd

In article <M1%x7.17565$oE5.1...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "Baba
says...

Golden Pleschel

Oct 13, 2001, 3:36:28 PM10/13/01
Here is my analysis of what is going on regarding John Larsgard.
The American government would like to deport all Middle Easterners
who are involved in any way with biochemistry or the airlines.
If they did this, however, it would be seen as racial profiling,
which is a big no-no. If you'll recall, when America entered
World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, it was only a
few days before the first Japanese Americans and Japanese
citizens in America were arrested and later sent to an
internment camp. A few German Americans were arrested and
interned even before America declared war on Germany. In
view of the criticism of this policy, America does not want to
be Politically Incorrect again. That's why a white foreigner
had to be targeted first, to pave the way for later deportation
or internment of Middle Easterners, which is what I think will
happen soon.

lamb

Oct 13, 2001, 4:31:18 PM10/13/01
The reply of the University:
http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/10029645082148316.xml

Loes

Fair Dinkum wrote:

--
Waarom schrijf ik dit eigenlijk .....
Ach, je weet maar nooit waar dit terecht komt.

Carol Phillips

Oct 13, 2001, 5:33:34 PM10/13/01
Ah hah, I am glad to get the rest of the story. It just didn't sound
reasonable that anyone thought that a young man from Norway was a
terrorist threat.
Carol

"lamb" <l.a.m....@chello.nl> wrote in message

Marian

Oct 13, 2001, 6:35:40 PM10/13/01
Thanks` Loes. I had trouble with this site, so when I finally reached it, I
thought others might need it copied. One caution~ the abbreviation, USA, refers
to the University of South Alabama. There doesn't seem to be any involvement by
the federal government. [Marian]
Student says USA expelled him because he was potential terrorist

University officials deny report, saying, 'We don't have that many terrorists
from Norway'

10/13/01

By BILL BARROW
Staff Reporter

A Norwegian newspaper reported Friday that the University of South Alabama
expelled one of its international students because he was a potential
terrorist.

USA officials, however, deny the charge, saying it came from a student who had
merely been suspended by a campus disciplinary committee for a history of
discipline problems that began well before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"Obviously, we don't have that many terrorists from Norway," said Keith Ayers,
USA spokesman.

In Friday's edition of the Aftenposten, a daily newspaper in Norway, a story
appeared with the story of USA student Kristoffer Larsgard, 22, a biochemistry
major from Oslo.

Larsgard told the newspaper he was expelled from the 12,000-student, Mobile
school because officials thought he was a threat to distribute biological or
chemical warfare.

"Apparently, the university no longer wants foreign students in the
biochemistry department, where they have easy access to bacteria that could be
used as terrorist weapons," the story said. "Larsgard was told the university
was worried he might be try to contaminate the drinking water."

It continued: "The college has cited a parking fine and breach of peace offense
in which Larsgard was acquitted as evidence that the student could be
dangerous."

Larsgard has studied at USA since 1997. During his time there, school officials
said, he has compiled an exemplary academic record, but has also amassed a
disciplinary record as well.

According to Ayers, however, Larsgard was suspended, not expelled, from USA
until next summer term by the Student Discipline Committee, comprising one
faculty member and at least four students. Ayers said Larsgard went before the
disciplinary board "because he has on several occasions presented himself as a
threat to himself and others."

Citing student privacy laws, Ayers said he could not release details of
Larsgard's record or the case that led to his suspension. But, he added, all
relevant offenses occurred before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in which four
commercial airliners were hijacked, with two striking New York's World Trade
Center, one striking the Pentagon, and the fourth crashing in Pennsylvania.

The committee meets as needed, this time in late September, just days after the
attacks. Its decisions can be appealed to Dale Adams, vice president for
student affairs.

USA's Ayers said he received a call from an Aftenposten reporter before the
story appeared today. His comments, however, are not found in the report.

"What we have done is called the newspaper and asked they not print any more
erroneous information," he said.

On the Web: :

(((((((((((((((((((((((((www.aftenposten.n

Robert W. McKibben

Oct 13, 2001, 7:00:39 PM10/13/01
Thank you Marian.
Robert

Robert W. McKibben

Oct 13, 2001, 7:00:14 PM10/13/01
Bull Manure Goldie!
You just help spread propaganda!
Robert

Eugene A. Calame

Oct 13, 2001, 8:32:17 PM10/13/01
On 13 Oct 2001 19:36:28 GMT, goldenp...@aol.com (Golden Pleschel) wrote:

>Here is my analysis of what is going on regarding John Larsgard.
>The American government would like to deport all Middle Easterners
>who are involved in any way with biochemistry or the airlines.

Not if they are citizens. Not if they have a valid visa or whatever.
Unless they can be tied to the aggressive action but that goes for anyone.

>If they did this, however, it would be seen as racial profiling,
>which is a big no-no. If you'll recall, when America entered
>World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, it was only a
>few days before the first Japanese Americans and Japanese
>citizens in America were arrested and later sent to an
>internment camp.

I have often wondered what would have happen to the American Japanese if they
had not been interned. Especially in the earlier days after Pear Harbor, Bataan
and Wake Island. I am sure life would not have been pleasant no matter where
they were.

>A few German Americans were arrested and
>interned even before America declared war on Germany. In
>view of the criticism of this policy, America does not want to
>be Politically Incorrect again. That's why a white foreigner
>had to be targeted first, to pave the way for later deportation
>or internment of Middle Easterners, which is what I think will
>happen soon.

I sure hope not and do not think that will happen. If it did happen I would have
to find a new place to buy gas and have my car fixed, that I trusted, when
needed. Come to think of it the Chief Executive Officer of the Ford Motor
Company, Jac Nasser, would have to leave.

Here is the article if you were not able to find it. Sounds like an ongoing
discipline problem to me; who knows except for those involved.

» More From Today's Mobile Register

News

Student says USA expelled him because he was
potential terrorist

University officials deny report, saying, 'We don't have that many
terrorists from Norway'

10/13/01

By BILL BARROW
Staff Reporter

A Norwegian newspaper reported Friday that the University of South
Alabama expelled one of its international students because he was a
potential terrorist.

On the Web: :

(((((((((((((((((((((((((www.aftenposten.n

Eugene A. Calame eaca...@excite.com
Austin, Texas USA http://www.geocities.com/eacalame/.

Please click the button at http://www.thehungersite.com/

Di Wall

Oct 13, 2001, 9:02:31 PM10/13/01
but why that particular white student Golden...?
Di....

"Golden Pleschel" <goldenp...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jan

Oct 13, 2001, 11:42:31 PM10/13/01
On 13 Oct 2001 19:36:28 GMT, goldenp...@aol.com (Golden Pleschel) wrote:

Thanks Baba, this certainly has every appearance of bureaucracy gone mad. Goldie's response seems
to make a degree of sense. It looks as though this lad could be the victim of PC thinking and may
well be a test case. I seem to remember reading somewhere or watching on TV where it was stated
that US universities would no longer permit foreign students to study biochemistry, can anyone jog
this tired old brain on this?. Perhaps the university could visualize very expensive law-suits if
they merely banned students who were brown in colour, (you know, equal rights, racism etc.) so they
have jumped the gun and banned a white foreign student first.
Not knowing very much about the US education system, I can't think of anything that can help him,
especially if it turns out to be government policy. This could be a really sticky can of worms.

Jan (Who can agree with you at times <g>)

"If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"

Kelly Petit

Oct 14, 2001, 3:33:14 AM10/14/01
I hope that Goldie is not right. But I think that was what the Norwegian journalists hinted at
too.
BTW, have you read "Farewell to Manzanar" by Jeanne Wakatsuki. It shows a bit what it was like
to be a Japanese-American after Pearl Harbour.
Kelly

"Eugene A. Calame" <eaca...@excite.com> a écrit dans le message news:
u9bIO7TmHBXIUP...@4ax.com...

Kelly Petit

Oct 14, 2001, 3:35:58 AM10/14/01
LOL
To show that even Norwegians, the most peaceful people in the world, have to go.
There're no differences, no privileges.
Well, what I did yesterday was to write to the newspaper in Norway and asked them to go a bit
further into matters before posting things like that. I also sent them the link to the
University article.
kelly

"Di Wall" <diw...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
Hu5y7.155569$bY5.7...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Kelly Petit

Oct 14, 2001, 3:40:58 AM10/14/01
Thanks Baba. I really think he's just a scape goat. Let's see what happens next and then we can
talk. This is an isolated case, if it's the only one, I'll believe there's more to it than
Larsgard petends if not...
kelly

"Baba Mung" <ognum.l...@virgin.net> a écrit dans le message news:
M1%x7.17565$oE5.1...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com...

Robert W. McKibben

Oct 14, 2001, 9:32:10 AM10/14/01
Good for you Kelly. We all need to question our media, I fear many are
still passing rumors as Fact.
Robert