Q for Robert Kubacki

Joe Headcrash

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Are you going to make an archive of Wesley Willis album reviews for your
site? I thought it might be a good idea. Some live reviews would be cool
too. There's actually pretty many reviews of WW's albums, though most of
them are the commercial ones. I'm working on my own site, which will have
every single song reviewed. That will take forever but it will be worth it.
I also am trying to persuade several underground labels to do a WW disc. One
of them is Mike Patton's label IPECAC, though I'm not sure how interested
they are at the present time.

Joe Hunter

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
If you have about $1500 to invest in recording and pressing Wes would
probably record an album for you to release yourself. He records more than
he releases, I know for a fact that the "Big Mac Assassination" CD is still
sitting there because Kid Rock was going to release it but that was a couple
of years ago before stardom hit.
JH

Joe Headcrash <head...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Joe Headcrash

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00

>If you have about $1500 to invest in recording and pressing Wes would
>probably record an album for you to release yourself. He records more than
>he releases, I know for a fact that the "Big Mac Assassination" CD is still
>sitting there because Kid Rock was going to release it but that was a
couple
>of years ago before stardom hit.
>JH

-Cool info. That sux about Kid Rock shelving the Wesley Willis album. I'm
hoping he releases "Steel Clink Alcatraz", the one with the song "Howard
Stern". I heard that WW plays a song live called "Michael Jackson", which
should be interesting also.
I wonder if there's any way to get a hold of Kid Rock about the "Big Mac
Assassination" CD ....

Joe

Joe Hunter

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
To be honest, I dont think Kid Rock ever got a copy. Someone who was
promoting out of town shows for Wes and was going to make the arrangements
to have it released has the master CD.
JH

P.S. As far as "Steel Clink Alcatrazz" goes; like I mentioned before, Wes
sometimes names albums before theyre even recorded and also changes titles
of a CD multiple times so "Steel Clink Alcatrazz" may not even exist. I'll
run it by him when he gets back from vacation but I may not get a straight
answer as he may have forgotten about it already (his Howard Stern
appearance was almost 4 years ago). Wes actually has "Michael Jackson"
typed up in a notebook so its either been recorded or is going to be. Since
that song gets the best crowd reaction live that Ive noticed, he definitely
needs to put that on one of his releases.

Joe Headcrash <head...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Joe Headcrash

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
>P.S. As far as "Steel Clink Alcatrazz" goes; like I mentioned before, Wes
>sometimes names albums before theyre even recorded and also changes titles
>of a CD multiple times so "Steel Clink Alcatrazz" may not even exist. I'll
>run it by him when he gets back from vacation but I may not get a straight
>answer as he may have forgotten about it already (his Howard Stern
>appearance was almost 4 years ago).

-Has he done many radio or TV interviews since the Stern gig? I ocassionally
see stuff on napster ..... like a thing called "Wesley Willis MTV interview"
but when I tried to DL it, my connection cut out. I'm also trying to find
the entire portion of the Stern interview, of which I have about 8 minutes.
Thanks for asking about SCA, btw. I'd totally like to rap with Wesley next
time he's in Milwaukee, about possibly doing a CD release on my own label
and other stuff.

>Wes actually has "Michael Jackson"
>typed up in a notebook so its either been recorded or is going to be.
Since
>that song gets the best crowd reaction live that Ive noticed, he definitely
>needs to put that on one of his releases.

-So you've seen Wesley during his songwriting process? I'm totally curious
as to how he writes his lyrics (and music). Does he come up with all the
rhythms and drum beats himself or does he have people helping him? I've
heard the reaction to MJ was fantastic.

JoeHeadcrash

Joe Hunter

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Yeah, Ive seen Wes write quite a few songs haha As far as his beats and
rhythms go, he just plays around on the keyboard until he finds some sounds
that he likes, the settings are preprogrammed so he just tweaks the style
and BPM until he has what he wants.
JH

P.S. There really isnt that much mainstream interview stuff on Wes, the
Howard Stern show came about because of the 2 CD releases on American
Recordings and since Howard and Rick Rubin are tight....there you go. I
would wager that the MTV soundbite is from "Squirt TV" from early 1996 when
they interviewed him in Austin TX and showed footage of him performing with
the Fiasco.

Joe Headcrash <head...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Joe Headcrash

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
>Yeah, Ive seen Wes write quite a few songs haha As far as his beats and
>rhythms go, he just plays around on the keyboard until he finds some sounds
>that he likes, the settings are preprogrammed so he just tweaks the style
>and BPM until he has what he wants.
>JH

-There's a million questions I'd like to ask Wesley about his music, but for
obvious reasons some of which he might be touchy about. It's difficult to
assume what goes on in the mind of somebody who is suffering from
schizophrenia, but for the most part you can tell what songs Wesley composed
while in a good mood (stuff like "Whip the Race Horse's Ass") and stuff he
wrote in a bad mood(his more violent songs like "Kill Whitey"). My
interpretation is that the more violent songs(both lyrically and in terms of
the *extremely* distorted background music) are metaphors of his demons.
It's quite remarkable that someone with such a disability would have such
strong metaphorical perspectives in his music.
Another thing I'm wondering is, what kind of person was Wesley Willis
*before* chronic schizophrenia. Did he go to as many rock shows? Did he draw
as well as he does now (or at all)? Did he used to drive or did he always
take the bus?
Like I say, there are literally a million questions I could ask about this
man. For certain one of the most fascinating individuals of our time.

Joe Headcrash

www.hellfrost.com