KEN PENDERS HAS GONE TOO FAR!!! HE MUST DIE!!! *ahem* If you care about Sonic comics at all, please read this. (Part 1)

YUKIDRAGON

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Today I just received the Sonic/Image crossover. At first when I read it
I assumed that it would be utter fanboy drivel, but after I read it...

I realized that it is an utter piece of crap (and I'm using the ABSOLUTE
nicest word I can think of to describe it) and I want Ken Penders dead. At
least to get him to stop writing Sonic comics or to start listening to the fans
for once. We're the ones that by the comic after all.

The story in itself was...garbage. There's no nicer way to put it. It
starts with Ken's character from another comic (at least that's who I
understand it is) being interrogated by "Scolder and Mully". It's bad enough
that this is a Sonic/Image crossover, but did Ken really had to blatenly
advertise the X Files in it too?

Next Ken's character, Particle, drops right in where Sonic and the main
FFs are in Mobotropolis. As they are trying to figure out what to do about
this stranger she blasts them and knocks them all unconcious.

She then goes to the Floating Island where she inserts a plug for Batman,
twice. She finds a sign which conveiniantly marks the "secret" enterance to
the zoot chute that goes to the chaos emerald chamber. I'd say having a sign
that leads to something that's supposed to be a secret, and it's invaluabe too
since it keeps the island from sinking like a stone and killing everyone on it,
is rather stupid. But then again who cares if everyone gets killed on the
Floating Island as long as it makes a nifty plot, right?

I think not.

Anyway Particle goes into the chaos chamber and examines the emerald.
Knuckles then shows up and acts out of character. Every other time an unknown
intruder came onto his island he's been known to attack first and ask questions
later, ESPECIALLY if the said intruder is right next to the chaos emerald. She
ignores him for a bit and examines the emerald again. Knuckles still doesn't
do anything. She then extends her hand to him and I quote "As a sign to show
we mean no harm." What happens next can be seen from a mile away. Knuckles
takes her hand and she turns around and does something to him that knocks him
out. By the expression on his face it seemed to have been quite painful too.
Partical knows something was really wrong with that, but she choses to steal
the chaos emerald from Knux while he's down for the count.

I'm only up to the begining of page eight right now and I can already
tell I'm going to dislike...no HATE...this character.

Well, there goes the Floating Island and everyone on it. That brings up
the death count of the comic to a couple million, give or take a few people.
Maybe the Floating Island survives somehow, but at this point it doesn't look
like it.

Skipping ahead a little, Partical escapes from the X Files and the two
investigators go to a kid for some answers. A plug for both Archie and Apple
computers are found on the same page. Well the kid, I don't care about his
name if you're wondering, goes into a flashback sequince and recalls seeing
Sonic and the gang plus Knuckles in an alley taking to the Punisher? or
someone. I'm not a big fan of Image comics as you can plainly see.

Nor to I ever want to be one thanks to this comic.

Well tall-dark-and-gruesome ignores them when they ask for help and
dissappears. The kid approaches the group and they explain that they are not
kids in costumes and they really are who they are. Next comes an explanation
on how Knuckles got off the Floating Island before drowning, then he
reluctantly went to the FFs for help, after which they get into a souped up
harley with a lot of side cars and they all took off through the Cosmic
Interstate to Earth.

Sally asks the kid for help and they both look at each other with an
almost goo-goo eyed look. I may be reading into this a bit, but that's what it
looks like to me. The kid then reveals himself to be Shadow Hawk and he agrees
to help them.

They all go to Grand Central Station where two weird looking guys with
chins that look like they were sculpted out of silly putty are. The first of
the putty chins, Savage Dragon, starts gunning for the group. While Shadow
Hawk talks sense into him the other putty chin, Union, shows up.

Cut to the Mobian group which are riding on a train looking for the
emerald. Cue the into of another of Ken's characters, a villan. I am not
surprised that he and Partical are in cahoots. The villan, I'll call him the
weird boy for now, talks of having past encounters with the group in the
future. This screams to me that Ken is planning a sequel.

God help us.

~Yuki

"A world of silver where dragons soar the sky, the goddess walks among us,
and a young boy is the savior of all."

"Don't make me whack you with my squeeky mallet!"

The Blue Dragon's Den
http://members.aol.com/YUKIDRAGON/

YUKIDRAGON

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Continuing where I left off...

Well next the Image comic group shows up via a hole in the roof in the
train, they then proceed to take all the action away from the Mobians. Out of
all the other things that upset me in this story this is only mildly
irritating.

Ken must be losing his touch.

A blast at the chaos emerald from one of the putty chins opens a warp
that the train goes through. The only positive thing I have to say about this
part, and I think it's the most positive thing about this story, is that Sonic
calls out Sally's name when everyone gets thrown around to show that he cares.
It's not a declaration of love, but at least it's better then Sonic ignoring
her.

What happens next is VERY irritating. SWATbots fly in through the hole
and call weird boy their master. This screams that he's another Robotnik.

Well the entire Mobian group, plus the Image group, is out for the count
again. So far all they (the Mobians) have been able to do is wonder what the
heck is going on and get knocked out. This issue is a SONIC super special and
yet the guest stars are stealing the show. I expected a certain amount of this
when I first heard of the crossover, but I never thought it'd be THIS bad.

In weird boy's headquarters his SWATbots bring him a package which is
making weird noises. I just know that either another Image hero or Ken
character is in that box. As the character in the box wails to be let out and
steal more of the spotlight away from Sonic and the other Mobians Partical goes
to the holding cells and frees her sister. It seems that she was being forced
to help weird boy.

I still hate her.

The Maxx pops out of the box and starts attacking weirdboy and the
SWATbots as Partical's sister, Anita, lets out Union who breaks his cell wall
on the way out. I wonder why he couldn't have done that sooner. Anyway the
three free the others and yet another Image hero, Velocity. Sonic and Velocity
can't resist racing each other to the action. They arrive to see the Maxx
throwing the chaos emerald at the SWATbots like a worthless boulder. Yet that
fails to get a reaction from Knux. Not even a "HEY!" is spoken from the
guardian.

Weird boy wills out a remote controll and starts altering reality. We
see a guest cameo of Archie in there, and it makes this story become all the
more like a bad commercial.

After we see a bit of reaily warping, Knuckles confronts weird boy and
starts trying to use his hidden powers. Weird boy seems to know Knux is doing
something big so he sics his SWATbots on him. The others get into one big
fight to defend Knuckles so he can do whatever he's gonna do. Knuckles gets
into a conversation with his father and great great great, whole lotta greats,
grand uncle then somehow he causes a huge explosion which seems to send the
Mobians back to their world along with the emerald and change everything back
to normal. This is most action any of the Mobian crew has done in the entire
comic.

As weird boy seems to be dead and their new friends are gone, the Image
group goes back to what they were doing.

Cut back to the X Files where they have a hard time swollowing the story.
I know I am.

It seems none of the Mobians remember the entire adventure and they go on
with rebuilding Robotropolis into Mobotropolis, searching for Nagus, and
guarding the chaos emerald and Floating Island respectively. Sally is brought
to tears as she thinks of how much she misses Sonic. Come on, have a heart and
get a clue, send the boys home!

And the comic ends (YAY!) with a typical X Files ending, including the
famous quote "The truth is out there". Right next to the very last pannel is a
dedication. "Dedicated to Chris ("I made this") Carter". You sure did make
this trash Ken, now you're going to pay.

I ask all of you to write to Archie and voice your complaints on this
comic. It is the absolute worst issue in Sonic comic history! We all must
speak up and let our voices be heard. If we don't we will more then likely be
subjected to another issue just like this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going outside to burn this worthless waste
of paper.

Chibi Bleu

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I agree. Ken Penders should really stop doing Sonic comics. I'm sure even a
child could do better than him. Obviously from the look at the crossover, he's
very self-centered. He needs to be replaced by someone better than him.
please, if you love Sonic comics at all, let the world know how you feel!

Aquamarine

Sheri

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
This time Ken Penders has gone too far. He has turned Sonic in to
nothing more than a joke.

A joke and a COMMERCIAL.

He apparently views Sonic as nothing more than a way to advertise
his crappy wanna-be series that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
He totally re-writes character personalities to suit his desires.

This is a kind of man we can trust with our heros?

No.

I strongly believe that Ken Penders ought to be fired and someone
we can actually TRUST not to use our heros as tools for self interest.

He does not care about the fate of our heros, NOR does he care to
even attempt to get their personalities right. How can we allow this
to continue? FIRE HIM!

He's nearly killed Sally (who was only saved, from what I hear,
due to furious fans) and he DID kill the people on the Floating
Island! Whether he turned back time or not does not count. The fact
still remains that they DIED. Who's next? Sonic? Will he kill Sonic
off and then have St. John become the hero? Will he change the name to
'the Adventures of St. John'?

When will this injustice and UTTER degrading of our beloved hero
cease? Why must we stand and allow this maniac to increase his own ego
and self importance at the expense of OUR heros?

HE MUST BE FIRED.

Chris Nappo

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
to Sheri

What? You mean KP killed off the Chaotix? If not them, who on
Floating Island did he kill off? I think you're right about one thing,
maybe KP wants only St John to be the hero, geez, he's almost as bad as
those people who invented the Mario cartoon. Only one tough guy!
Doesn't he get it that we don't like what he's done to the comics?

I hope he doesn't kill off Sonic next!

Joya Nappo
fo...@concentric.net

Faster Than the Speed Of Sound!
-Billy Corgan!
(Lead singer of the Smashing Pumpkins!)

YUKIDRAGON

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98

He had his character Particle steal the chaos emerald and plunge the island
into the sea sending pretty much everyone on the island, except Knuckles, to a
watery grave. I'd think that includes the Chaotix. Then he simply made it as
if the entire fiasco never happened.

I for one don't care if they don't remember it, it happened and it was
horrible. Ken Penders MUST be stopped!

KenPenders

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Actually, Sonic is selling better than ever, and according to projections, the
SONIC/IMAGE crossover looks like it will become the BEST SELLING SONIC COMIC
EVER.

The whole point of this book was to introduce readers WHO DON'T NORMALLY BUY
SONIC to the characters and concepts of the series in a mild way, since we
figured Sonic fans would buy the book anyway. Since the book has come out, what
we counted on has happened, including the reaction from Sonic purists like
yourselves.

As much as you would like the book to be a certain way, it can't be, or it
would sink like a stone in today's market. You could have a book exactly the
way you want and then six months later the book is cancelled because of lack of
interest. You can't say your way is right because you're not the ones who have
to decide what to do to keep readers interested.

My job depends on one simple fact: making the stories interesting enough so
that readers keep coming back for more, and get more readers to jump on the
bandwagon. If you gauge what's going on, I'm doing my job. In doing so, I'm not
going to please everyone. It's not possible.

You paid your money, so you're entitled to criticize SONIC SUPER SPECIAL #7,
but your criticism lacks validity, because you're too generic in your
criticisms, or you read into the story an intent that's not there (such as
killing everyone on the Floating Island).

AmyRose98

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
>Subject: Re: KEN PENDERS HAS GONE TOO FAR!!! HE MUST DIE!!! *ahem* If you
>care about Sonic comics at all, please re
>From: chib...@aol.com (Chibi Bleu)
>Date: 10/15/98 5:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time

I could do better than this guy is doing, and i`m just a kid.wow, this has to
BE FIRED BEFORE HE RUINS SONIC ALL TOGETHER! WE HAVE TO START A PETITION!(or
somethin like that.Mach, help!!!)

YUKIDRAGON

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
>(KenPenders)
>Date: 10/17/98 12:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time

It's stories like these that are turning away the 'Sonic purists' like myself.
I realize you are trying to attract more readers to Sonic, but by the same
token you are abandoning all the things about it that the 'Sonic purists' love
about it.

As for the 'generic comments', if these problems are so common then why haven't
you tried to fix them? If many people find problems with this, then there is
obviously something VERY wrong.

You think I am reading into somethings that are not there such as the death of
people on the Floating Island? Well the general assumption when an entire
island sinks like a stone into the sea there are bound to be a number of
casualties.

Lastly, yes it is my right to critisize since I payed for this tripe, but you
can't seem to respect that. I don't see any other explanation for why you took
down my rewritten review from your messageboard.

I will repost my rewritten review here since I very much dislike censorship
when all I wish to do is express my opinion.

If you dislike what I have to say, then by all means feel free to respond.

Gen Fluke

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
KenPenders wrote:
( mostly manipulative garbage )

Look penders, theres no point trying to sell us the BS about how good
the book is selling, little kids will buy anything with sonic on it or
spawn or something. That don't make it good. I think you need to look at
the simple facts, no one ( well, hardly anyone ) on the net likes your
stories. And we're a big chunk of your audience, and i'd like to point
out this old old comic book, it was based on a toy, called "ROM: Space
Knight" it was amazingly popular, despite its ludicrous story and
cheesey plots. It died after 75 issues. Your screwed once those 10 year
olds actually start reading the comics, rather than looking at the
pictures. They'll find out "hey..this sucks.." and stop buying it, and
the sonic comic will die and fade away, like ROM.

-Gen

Benjamin Hurst

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Sonic Fans,

Regarding this thread and the criticism of Penders, I am appalled at the
level of animosity shown by the fans here. It is your right to
disagree. To be rude, crude and threatening is not only completely
inappropriate, but also violates the basic rules of courtesy on the
net. Death threats? Not even in jest. Not done. Stop it. Sheeesh.

<shakes head> <shrugs> <Ponders the fact that, overall, he likes the
people here> <gathers thoughts...scratches....speaks>

I haven't read the comics written by Penders. I haven't followed the
continuity since after the 2nd season of Satam, so I have no opinion on
the arguments set forth. But if I were to take issue with someone who
worked hard to create comics, I would do that person the courtesy of
postulating logical, reasoned arguments. With the exception of just a
few ascerbic moments, Allesandro does this quite well and you would all
do well to study his critiques. He cites specific instances and
correlates them to earlier, generally agreed-upon continuity. This is
useful information to a writer, but remember, there may be many
different reasons for the choices writers must make and though you may
find them unacceptable, they are a fact of life. If you flame a writer,
if you throw insults and attitude at him, he's probably going to give
less weight to your argument.

Don't forget, your words don't just disappear into the Void, they are
read by a person. A person with feelings. Feelings. You know, those
things that you have, too? So by all means, feel free to state your
opinion, but please take the extra time to be courteous.

<looks down, reacts, surprised> <wonders how that soap box got there>
<steps down - smooths wrinkles from t-shirt>

Thank you for reading this. I'm happy that so many people share a
passion for the speedy blue hedgehog.

Ben Hurst

David Bringen

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
"Don't mince words, Bones. What do you REALLY think"?

MPr...@mindspring.com

LilyRacoon

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98

*cheers*
YAY!!!!
SOMEONE FINALLY MAKES SENSE!!!
And at least tried to clear things up before things got ugly, which i think is
too late for that.
Ah well...

Lily
The crazy 18 year old Raccoon who still loves Sonic.

Gen Fluke

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Benjamin Hurst wrote:

> Sonic Fans,
>
> Regarding this thread and the criticism of Penders, I am appalled at the
> level of animosity shown by the fans here. It is your right to
> disagree. To be rude, crude and threatening is not only completely
> inappropriate, but also violates the basic rules of courtesy on the
> net. Death threats? Not even in jest. Not done. Stop it. Sheeesh.

At first i talked to penders nicely. He seemed like a nice guy, and he
no doubt, probably is a good guy. But he needs to understand that not
ALL of sonics fans are ten year olds. Its like, instead of trying to
appeal to all the fans, he's singled out one group and targeted them.
This makes us kinda angry, like if someone had let weird al yankovich
start writing for Star trek. He's pretty much abandonded all we loved
about the SatAM show, which is terrible. Before it was like: "Well.. the
shows gone.. but at least we got a fairly good comic.." but now, its
Sonic and tails out on solo missions, which is just pointless and
incredibly dull...
I agree that we probably shouldn't give him death threats (myself
included) and such. Thats silly, its just a book. But it hurts to see
something you really enjoyed get trashed so a ten year old can gawk at
sonic fighting a bunch of new people every month.

-Gen

YUKIDRAGON

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I don't really want Ken Penders dead, nor anyone else. I was blowing off steam
from my initial outrage at the comic. Hey, I'm a teenager, I can't be mature
all the time ;}

Once my initial flame/review is finished undergoing the final stages of
rewriting, which I'm handling more maturely this time, I'll post it up here for
people to read if they want.

Michael E. Hansen

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Hey guys.. Give the dude some room to write.. I know that we (the
sonic-powerzone mailinglist) was pretty upset, when he wrote "EndGame", but
it turned out to be pretty good... OK.. I agree that his ending was a bit
lame...

Med venlig hilsen/Yours friendly
Michael E. Hansen AKA DJC-Mike
PowerZone.DK/CCDK
-------------------------------------------------------Uglebjergvej 8. Lej.
22 - DK-5560 Aarup - Denmark
-------------------------------------------------------E-mail:
djc-...@image.dk
ICQ UIN: 297953
Homepage: http://powerzone.base.org/ (Not online at the moment)
http://ccdk.cjb.net
-------------------------------------------------------Live today! You don't
know what tomorrow will bring!
------------------------------------------------------StH code JJ1 "Son++
Sal+++^ Tails+++ Bun++" Nic++^ UnC++^i Rbk--- Snv---/+^ Swt- KAc++ tWP+++
Lup++^i" - "P++ Dfwo $++++ SKen Penders+++" - "E24 Ee25" "Ay77 GM CoDK"

GrnAshura

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>Hey guys.. Give the dude some room to write.. I know that we (the
>sonic-powerzone mailinglist) was pretty upset, when he wrote "EndGame", but
>it turned out to be pretty good... OK.. I agree that his ending was a bit
>lame...

I speak for the entire Newsgroup when I say this:
Ken Penders must be fired. LONG LIVE DRAZEN!

Mach "My, that child is so bright!" Hedgehog,
Defender of stuff worth defending, like RPGs and SEGA.
--
"It appears that poor spelling has no relationship to intelligence"-Matilyn
Vos

GrnAshura

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>I don't really want Ken Penders dead, nor anyone else. I was blowing off
>steam
>from my initial outrage at the comic. Hey, I'm a teenager, I can't be mature
>all the time ;}
>
>Once my initial flame/review is finished undergoing the final stages of
>rewriting, which I'm handling more maturely this time, I'll post it up here
>for
>people to read if they want.

Go right ahead, by all means.

GrnAshura

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Because I didn't seem to get the original message, I'll piggyback off of Lily
Racoon's message.

>Sonic Fans,
>
>Regarding this thread and the criticism of Penders, I am appalled at the
>level of animosity shown by the fans here. It is your right to
>disagree. To be rude, crude and threatening is not only completely
>inappropriate, but also violates the basic rules of courtesy on the
>net. Death threats? Not even in jest. Not done. Stop it. Sheeesh.

Argh, I know, but, in my eyes, Ken Penders has no right to wright Sonic Comics.
He has failed me, a loyal fan, and he has failed the Sonic Fandom as a whole.
His stories are riddled with plotholes, and the cheezy jokes and gags make you
want to gag. He should not be a writer, at least not for Sonic.

><shakes head> <shrugs> <Ponders the fact that, overall, he likes the
>people here>

And we all like you.

><gathers thoughts...scratches....speaks>
>
>I haven't read the comics written by Penders.

You, my friend, are lucky.My very first honest impression was when he pencilled
"A Robot Rides the Rails", and I thought, "Man, this guy really, really
stinks."

>I haven't followed the
>continuity since after the 2nd season of Satam, so I have no opinion on
>the arguments set forth. But if I were to take issue with someone who
>worked hard to create comics, I would do that person the courtesy of
>postulating logical, reasoned arguments.

In all honesty, he does not work very hard to write his stories, and I bet a
good deal of the people that post on this newsgroup can write somthing better
than, say, "The Last Video Game Cartrage Hero", or "EndGame". Like I've already
said, Ken does not bother to fix Plotholes, and he fills his stories with
"Scolder and Mully", and "Space Trek"

> With the exception of just a
>few ascerbic moments, Allesandro does this quite well and you would all
>do well to study his critiques. He cites specific instances and
>correlates them to earlier, generally agreed-upon continuity.

Yes, Allesandro is a very good critic, prehaps he should put what he writes on
a webpage, for those people not on this Newsgroup. Honestly, he should think
about that.

This is
>useful information to a writer, but remember, there may be many
>different reasons for the choices writers must make and though you may
>find them unacceptable, they are a fact of life. If you flame a writer,
>if you throw insults and attitude at him, he's probably going to give
>less weight to your argument.

That is very, very true, but most people here don't like Archie Comics, and It
really makes me want to fork out 60 bucks to ship someFleetway comics over to
me.

>Don't forget, your words don't just disappear into the Void, they are
>read by a person. A person with feelings. Feelings. You know, those
>things that you have, too? So by all means, feel free to state your
>opinion, but please take the extra time to be courteous.

That's true. Very true. Many people on this newsgroup (Including me) have gone
out of control.

<looks down, reacts, surprised> <wonders how that soap box got there>
><steps down - smooths wrinkles from t-shirt>
>
>Thank you for reading this. I'm happy that so many people share a
>passion for the speedy blue hedgehog.

And you can know that you are one of the main reasons so many people have that
passion, I know that the SatAM show was what really got me to have a passion
for the Blue Blur.

>Ben Hurst

AKappa101

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Dude, not even GOD can help us!!!!!!
I never read the comic your talkin' about, just the reg sonic ones. And already
that one comic sucks! Like I said...not even GOD can help us! And he's a pretty
powerful guy!

Regards

AKappa101

Gen Fluke

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Chris Nappo wrote:

> Doesn't he get it that we don't like what he's done to the comics?

No, he doesn't, haven't you learned by now?

-Gen

icky...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

> It's stories like these that are turning away the 'Sonic purists' like
myself.
> I realize you are trying to attract more readers to Sonic, but by the same
> token you are abandoning all the things about it that the 'Sonic purists' love
> about it.

Excuse me?? Sonic "purists??" I'm afraid you've trampled another nerve
there, you can't very well be a purist if your main interest in the Hedgehog
is through the comics, which have so little to do with the games. That's
where the purity lies.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Chris Nappo

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
to genf...@bellsouth.net

Yeah, you're right, Gen.

You have to expect that from someone like Ken Penders who works at a
big company like Archie. They don't care about what the fans think.

Joya Nappo
fo...@concentric.net

And I'll Do Anything To Keep Her Here Tonight!

KenPenders

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Actually, I care very much what the fans think, but since the reality is that I
can't please everybody at the same time, and since this isn't a democracy, I do
what I feel the MAJORITY of readers will enjoy. Since our sales are increasing,
indicating we're attracting new readers, we must be doing something right. You
may not agree with this, nor believe what I say, but it is the reality.

RazJMastrs

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

In article <19981019111742...@ng88.aol.com>, kenpe...@aol.com
(KenPenders) writes:

[snip]

>Since our sales are increasing, indicating
>we're attracting new readers, we must be
>doing something right.

Yet, in what sense are you so right? Time
and time again, when Sonic fans say you've
devestated the comic, you bring up the fact
that you're making a healthy amount of
money off of it. That fact will never satisfy
them, merely because, you have destroyed
something wonderful to rake in more profits.
Sure, you may be doing something decent..
but is it Sonic anymore? Where has that
feeling gone? Where did the whimsical
things go, what happened to the wonder
and determination? Why is it now a boring
slug-fest that's of about as much worth as
a one-shot generic super-hero comic, which
just so happens to be enough to capture and
hold the attention of your average sheltered
ten year old? As a businessman, you are
probably respected. As an author, however,
I truly don't see what you have to defend.. or
at least, I see no accomplishments of worth
in the Sonic comic, minus the occasional
triumph like Julie-Su.

>You may not agree with this, nor believe
>what I say, but it is the reality.

Oh, I think they understand.. but I believe
that they are in the right not to agree.

_/]Raz Masters

"So if you understand me, and you feel the same,
then you'll know what nitro means.. you'll live like
there's no tomorrow.." - 'Nitro,' Offspring

_/) http://members.aol.com/RazJMastrs/
_/) http://members.tripod.com/~SonicSector

Chibi Bleu

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Hey Ken, ever hear the phrase 'money isn't everything'? Obviously I'm sure you
haven't. I bet more people would buy the comic if you didn't make it as stupid
as it is now. You might not be the only person to blame, but you're one of the
worst. I respect you as an artist, but not as a writer. It's probably a
little unrealistic you would get fired, but really, you should start listening
to your fans instead of your pocket book. Some people take pride in their work
and strive to make it the best they can, not caring how much money they make.
But it seems you're not that kind of person when it comes to Sonic. I have
spoken with many people who feel you are in a sense, ruining the Sonic comic.
I know you can't please everyone, but it seems you're singling out only one age
group, instead of several. The very young kids may find the comic 'exciting',
but let's face it. Not everyone is a 10-year old. The problem will not
disappear until you start putting more effort into writing the Sonic comics,
and even then it may not, but many of us will be happy once the stories are
written better. No offense, but your plots sound like they were written by a
Junior High School kid.

~Aquamarine~
@ ~Darkness falls across the plains
()l @ And the souls of Innocence cry in
l/'` the night~
()ll
/ l()
l l
l l

fred...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
You people are starting to become a little too vague in your critisisms of
Ken Penders, and I'm starting to get confused. What EXACTLY did he do wrong?
What is WRONG with the current state the Sonic comics are in? I mean of
course they could be a LITTLE bit better, but you people seem to demand
PERFECTION! I know that Ken Penders is the main writer of the Knuckles
Comics, the Sonic Comic Back-up stories, and the Specials, and I think he's
doing a pretty good job of all of those (except I don't read the Knuckles
comics reguarly, but I am thinking of buying a subscription). I am really
enjoying the part of the comics where King Acorn is searching for his lost
wife, Queen Alicia; I think this story is very interesting and well written.
Whenever I DO read the Knuckles comics, I always enjoy them; the stories are
unlike anything I've ever seen in a comic book. I also read Sonic Super
Special #7, and I thought it was good, but a little wacky, it wasn't
exceptionally good, but it was worth the mere $2.40 I paid for it. One thing
that you have to remember is that Ken Penders is NOT currently writing the
MAIN STORIES of the Sonic Comic Books. Those are written by Mike Gallagher
and Karl Bollers, and while those stories are pretty good, I sort of miss the
way they used to be. I think Sonic and Tails should get back with the Freedom
Fighters as soon as possible, but I don't think Ken Penders is in charge of
THIS part of the comic (which is a certian thing that has upset many people
on this newsgroup). I think you people are sometimes a little bit wrong in
the ways you critisise Ken Penders. I can't find anything wrong with the way
he is doing his job, and I can't imagane very many people that could do a
better job. ========== -Fred http://www.angelfire.com/ny/fredsonic

DarkeSword

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>Ken Penders is NOT currently writing the
>MAIN STORIES of the Sonic Comic Books.

*snip*

>...but I don't think Ken Penders is in charge of

>THIS part of the comic (which is a certian thing that has upset many people
>on this newsgroup).

Although Ken Penders is not *writing* the Sonic stories, he IS in charge of
plot control and where the comic is headed in the future.

Darke Sword
---------------------------------------
"They're coming to take us all..."

Gen Fluke

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
KenPenders wrote:

> what I feel the MAJORITY of readers will enjoy. Since our sales are increasing,

> indicating we're attracting new readers, we must be doing something right.

Archie should be more like Shiny (the guys responsible for Earthworm
Jim, MDK, and the phenomenal Wild 9) Shiny isn't the richest game
company, but dang if every game they make don't kick total ass, cause
they actually care about the players! They even got a slogan "by gamers,
for gamers" can't you goofballs at archie start making the comic for the
people that matter? Not some rancid ten year old that got his hands on a
sega genesis, and now buys anything with sonic on it, but for us, the
DIE HARD fans. Geez, Ken, your just a sellout sensationalist, and
everybody knows it.

-Gen

fred...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <19981020145901...@ng148.aol.com>,
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.
-Fred

Alessandro Sanasi

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
On 19 Oct 98, kenpe...@aol.com (KenPenders) wrote:

> Actually, I care very much what the fans think, but since the reality is
> that I can't please everybody at the same time, and since this isn't a

> democracy, I do what I feel the MAJORITY of readers will enjoy. Since our

> sales are increasing, indicating we're attracting new readers, we must be

> doing something right. You may not agree with this, nor believe what I say,

> but it is the reality.

Did anyone ask you to please everybody, huh? All we fans are currently
asking from you in particular is that you don't continue to ignore the
original cast of Freedom Fighters (Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor) and
include *THEM* into the backup-stories and let *THEM* do some important
things instead of constantly using your own or Archie-made characters
(like St. John, Hershey, Valdez, Heavy etc), *NOTHING* more.

As I once pointed out, if the classic cast doesn't get their share on the
adventures and action, they will be forgotten. Not because they were bad
designs, but simply because you as the writer *MADE* the fans forget about
them, by ignoring their existence! And I doubt that you will invest as
much time to re-introduce them properly as you currently give your own
creation, St. John.

And Ken, how do you know the 'core audience' of readers wouldn't enjoy the
stories just as much if they featured the original cast instead of your
own characters? The only difference would be that with the original cast,
you wouldn't just please the current core audience, but the *OLD-TIME*
fans *AS WELL*! Something to consider, no?

BTW, I do agree that you might care what we fans think, and you do listen
to what we say, but when have you ever *CHANGED* anything when seeing that
there might be some truth in our words? Is the only way to convince you
by waiting for the sales do *DROP* before you realize that part of what we
fans say here could indeed be right, and that there is no logical argument
how the above changes could lessen sales, but _many_ arguments how they
could _improve_ it?

Bye

Alessandro
---
You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

M S

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
I agree with Ben Hurst, you guys are the ones who have gone too far
here. If you don't like the comics, then don't read them or buy
them.It's not as if Ken is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
buy them. And another thing, any of you who spent money on a
subscription and get more frustrated with every issue should contact
Archie comics to see if you can get your money back. That is, if you
really care enough to get your 20 bucks or whatever the cost was back. I
have complaints myself but you'll never get anywhere by making
ridiculous comments regarding Ken's life or trying to turn a mass of
people against him. You probably think because YOU don't like Ken's
work, that every other Sonic fan out there thinks just like you, but in
reality there are plenty of fans out there who probably like his stuff.
They are probably too afraid to post here because if they do you die
hard newsgroup controlling superfans who think only their opinions
should be law jump on their case the instant they say so.I don't like
Ken Penders work, because I think he knows nothing about the progression
of story, much like Don Bluth of feature animation fame. Ken's panels
are claustrophoboc and confusing, half the time you can't tell what's
happening. I really think it would do him a service if he were to take a
film class or two, and learn how to stage things better. Now that's my
constructive criticism, and I didn't have to make a personal attack to
do it. This is a free country and you have the option of making your own
decision here. If you don't like the comics, don't look at them. But if
you love Sonic and only want to see the best comics money can buy then
try to offer your own suggestions to the people who make the products
you buy. They are out there and they do listen when properly addressed.
You can see that we've already got two professionals who actually have
worked on Sonic here, Ben Hurst and Ken. They didn't have to respond to
your complaints, but they did anyway. So think hard the next time you
feel like attacking someone in a public forum like this...

M S

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98