Why is Artemis' Lover still so [un]popular?

SlickRCBD

Jun 4, 2005, 5:12:16 AM6/4/05
Many years ago when I first discovered fanfiction, I stumbled upon a
piece of fanfiction called Artemis' Lover. It was hailed as an example
of bad fanfiction. That was back in late 1997. That same work of
fanfiction is still occasionally MSTed and talked about today. What
makes that particluar work so significant in the Sailor Moon and
fanfiction internet community?

I admit it has some personal significance to me, as it taught me both
what MSTing was and what hentai and lemon meant (though at the time I
initially thought it meant sick stuff, not a synonym for lemon), but
what is it about that fic that everybody seems to love to hate and tell
horror stories about?

shanejayell

Jun 4, 2005, 1:58:56 PM6/4/05
^_^;

Here's where I have to confess Ive never actually read this, MST version
or not. Of course I'm told it's hideously bad, but I've never read it.

Link?

Rick Pikul

Jun 4, 2005, 3:52:42 PM6/4/05
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 04:12:16 -0500, SlickRCBD wrote:

> Many years ago when I first discovered fanfiction, I stumbled upon a
> piece of fanfiction called Artemis' Lover. It was hailed as an example
> of bad fanfiction. That was back in late 1997. That same work of
> fanfiction is still occasionally MSTed and talked about today. What
> makes that particluar work so significant in the Sailor Moon and
> fanfiction internet community?

The anime fanfic MSTing community seems to grab onto things and get hate
ons for them, you also get a lot of backreferencing to earlier MSTs.[1]
Combine that with what looks to be an insular group, and reference points
and opinions get ossified.

Note that there are several sub groups in the anime fan-fic community, as
an example there is almost no crossover between fans of the work of Eyrie
Productions and the MST'ers, (several of the MST'ers even having hate ons
to the level of reacting to the use of the spelling "gryphon").

[1] When you get a comment that basically says: `I'm going to do this
one so that you don't need to have read a dozen earlier ones, just for the
newbies,` it means that new people are being told to go back and read all
the early ones so that the new stuff makes sense.

--
Phoenix

PmChivas

Jun 6, 2005, 12:17:20 PM6/6/05

Well, I never knew the true reason behind it, but it could be: the bad
grammar, mary sueism, or the having sex with a cat part. That's if we
are talking about the same person. I could be someone different.

PM

Arturus Magi

Jun 6, 2005, 9:55:39 PM6/6/05
Part of it was probably that it was a poorly written self-insert that's
very heavy on mary-sueism that cannot mesh with canon, has horrible
grammar and spelling, and is a zoophile piece.

Any one of those tends to be met with scorn in some goups. Combining
the three is a recepie for disaster.

SlickRCBD

Jun 7, 2005, 3:24:52 AM6/7/05
to PmChivas
I'm pretty sure we are, though to be honest I never realized the Mary
Sue aspect before. Probably because I didn't learn the term until long
after I'd read the story and it's one that I try not to remember too
clearly. Now that I think about it (shudder) I think I have a vauge idea
what you mean, but I'd have to reread (shudder) the story to be sure.
Which is something I do not have any plans to do. Please do NOT
enlighten (I'm not sure if that's a correct usage of the word in this
case) us with quotes for clarification.
Message has been deleted

SlickRCBD

Jun 7, 2005, 3:33:50 AM6/7/05

I'm pretty sure we are, though to be honest I never realized the Mary

Sue aspect before. Probably because I didn't learn the term until long
after I'd read the story and it's one that I try not to remember too
clearly. Now that I think about it (shudder) I think I have a vauge idea
what you mean, but I'd have to reread (shudder) the story to be sure.
Which is something I do not have any plans to do. Please do NOT
enlighten (I'm not sure if that's a correct usage of the word in this
case) us with quotes for clarification.

Personally I thought it was sick, and at the time it nearly turned me
off to fan-fiction since the other stuff I'd read at the time weren't
that great either. If a friend of mine hadn't pointed me to Sailor Moon
Universal by Jendra and Sailor Moon Z by John Biles and Jeff Hosmer, I
probably would have turned my back on it and never looked back. Heck, I
still think their some of the best I've ever read.

Chris Kern

Jun 10, 2005, 10:40:16 AM6/10/05
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 04:12:16 -0500, SlickRCBD <no...@127.0.0.1> posted
the following:

Whatever people say, it's not as bad as Chibi-Usa's 7th Birthday.

-Chris

Robyn, Duke of Amber

Jun 13, 2005, 3:33:35 AM6/13/05
to Chris Kern

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Chris Kern wrote:

> >horror stories about?
>
> Whatever people say, it's not as bad as Chibi-Usa's 7th Birthday.
>
> -Chris

As soon as I read this post I had a flasback to reading that and went
temporarily blind.

Neil

Seraphim, the Restless Angel with a (borrowed) sword.
Robyn, Duke of Amber. Agent of Chaos.