Smoking dope and exploding firecrackers with Pynchon

Bhavani

Feb 20, 2012, 4:44:59 PM2/20/12

Psmith

Feb 21, 2012, 10:44:33 AM2/21/12
Thanks for posting this. Bhavani, do you think you'll read more
Pynchon after reading Against the Day?

I wonder if he will write another novel.

Bhavani

Feb 21, 2012, 7:23:25 PM2/21/12
I will most definitely read more Pynchon after this. Probably start
with Mason Dixon, then Vineland. Might be awhile before I get to
Gravity's Rainbow. I'll eventually try to read all his books.

Psmith

Feb 21, 2012, 9:01:20 PM2/21/12
I suspect you will enjoy them all. Perhaps we could continue reading
Pynchon here at alt.fan.rawilson. When I read Mason and Dixon I
really had the sense that Pynchon had read Bob Wilson's Historical
Illuminatus! books. I will have to do the math - how many years will
it take to read all of Pynchon at four pages a day? This ties in with
your S.M.I2.L.E. blogs. John Gardner said anyone who understands
Gravity's Rainbow will double their intelligence. I think Tim Leary
would agree.

I just spotted another Bardo state reference on page 521 of Against
the Day.

Psmith

Feb 21, 2012, 10:38:30 PM2/21/12
Mason and Dixon, 784 pages; Vineland, 400 pages; Gravity's Rainbow,
784 pages; V, 560 pages; The Crying of Lot 49 , 192 pages; Inherent
Vice, 384 pages; Slow Learner, 208 pages. Total pages (excluding
Against the Day): 3312; 828 days. We'd finish around October 2014 (if
this idea appeals to anyone).

Bhavani

Feb 22, 2012, 12:15:23 AM2/22/12
Sounds good to me! I would have thought it would take longer but then
I have a warped sense of time. ;)

Psmith

Feb 22, 2012, 10:43:28 AM2/22/12
Hot dog. I suspect reading all of Pynchon will further warp our
senses of time, sort of a cosmic rubato. Reading Pynchon seems like a
fun, legal way of altering consciousness for the better. No hangovers
either - except of psychically.

Bhavani

Feb 24, 2012, 7:10:24 PM2/24/12
Cosmic rubato - cool concept! Pynchon definitely alters my
consciousness, I hope they don't make it illegal.

Psmith

Feb 27, 2012, 9:07:49 PM2/27/12
Well, Barnes and Noble carries lots of Pynchon's books. Even my high
school library has Gravity's Rainbow. I prefer Bob Wilson's books to
Pynchon's, but I find it fascinating how Pynchon has established a
place in popular culture.