Citizen Kane Shows at Hearst Castle

RMJon23

Jan 24, 2012, 12:49:30 AM1/24/12

Psmith

Jan 24, 2012, 3:24:35 PM1/24/12
During my early teens my family went to San Simeon and I foolishly
didn't visit the Castle when my mom and sister did. I regret that,
just as I regret passing up a backstage pass to the Grateful Dead in
1990.

ARW23

Jan 27, 2012, 12:15:50 AM1/27/12
My first job in the US was with Hearst family. I managed their estate
in Beverly Hills. William Randolph Hearst had 5 sons and I worked for
one of them. One of those five sons had 5 daughters (one of them
Patty).

What I appreciated the most about the part of the family I worked for
was their calmness, no pressure, there was always another day.
Contrary to immature and hysterical Hollywood attitude: "I want this.
And I want it NOW!" (As if there is no tomorrow and the world will end
if the things (mostly unimportant) don't get done right NOW.

In my effort to appear informed and educated in front of the Hearst's,
I told them I had seen "Citizen Kane' by Orson Welles upon which Mr.
and Mrs. Hearst coldly responded: "The family never approved of it. We
did not like the way Randy was portrayed in the movie." That was it
for film discussion. (At least at that time.)

But Mrs. Hearst personally arranged for me to visit San Simeon castle.
(Suddenly, I had a personal assistant!)

WRH's private Gothic study on the third floor of Casa Grande and the
library impressed me the most. I just wanted to stay there and read a
book. Over the years I inherited some books from Hearst private
library and they are now in my library.

I think there are no reasons for your regrets Mr.Smith. I mean San
Simeon is still there and the castle is still there, and if I am not
mistaken you live somewhere in southern Cal? It's a beautiful drive
along the coast and San Simeon is really worth seeing. Especially now
with Citizen Kane in it.

Bhavani

Jan 27, 2012, 5:06:24 AM1/27/12
Great story ARW23! Thanks for posting.

Psmith

Jan 27, 2012, 4:33:45 PM1/27/12
Yes, great story. Perhaps I will make it up north again sometime
soon.