High planetary velocity ...

Bhavani

Mar 4, 2012, 3:44:03 PM3/4/12
All I can say at the moment ... Pynchon seems quite the unique
visionary tuned in to something extraordinary. He's definitely up
there in the genius category with RAW, PKD, Joyce and Burroughs for
writing books that have profoundly affected me.

The section that goes from p.564 - 567 apart from its advanced
brilliance, holds a great deal of personal meaning, for me. Top of p.
566 invokes my sound business name, a little ways down,
"among the set of further analogies to sound" it goes on to articulate
one of my esoteric aims with recording music better than I ever have.
Wtf? How does he do that?

p. 561 I like when Kit leaves the room causing various people to make
up reasons why tied into their own personal dramas. Pynchon gives
indicators that he's about to take the reader into a bardo
space: ..."so many corridor doors opening and closing, so many guests
wandering in and out of the wrong rooms ... and then Kit "... went
running off into the hotel's labyrinth of back stairways and
passages." He ends up in a space that resembles what E.J. Gold calls
Wharftown. At the close of the sequence, the cop's gun shapeshifts
into a mysterious scientific instrument that gets described in the
next section. That instrument reminds me bit of the Oscillation
Overthruster from the film Buckeroo Banzai.

Psmith

Mar 5, 2012, 9:04:19 PM3/5/12
Interesting comparison with Buckeroo Banzai. I remember when I first
saw that film it reminded me of Phillip Jose Farmer's books.

I liked the discussion of fake identities on page 570. It made me
wonder about Pynchon's lifestyle and how he maintains his anonymity.

Bhavani

Mar 7, 2012, 2:21:49 PM3/7/12
Buckeroo Banzai rates highly in my book, up at, or near the top.
Probably have seen it 25-30 times over the years. Still see iot from
time to time and discover new things in it. Wished they would have
done the sequel they advertised. I wonder if any brave filmmaker will
attempt a Pynchon book? David Lynch looks like a good choice if he
was so inclined.

Bhavani

Mar 7, 2012, 4:26:47 PM3/7/12
p. 575 - Cool segue into labyrinths and scale

p. 576 - Love his description of the painting area toward the bottom
of the page, very colorful then ;
". . . the cloaks and masks and thousand-named mists of Venezia"
Time machines and ghosts, wars that haven't happened yet - he
describes the collective psyche of pre-war anxiety extremely well.

p.579 - talks about an alchemical process called 'solve coagula' then
immediately goes into what Pynchon calls a parable about alchemy, but
it seems that the part just before describes the real alchemy, so
maybe he's playing little tricks with the reader?

Psmith

Mar 7, 2012, 4:42:56 PM3/7/12
Paul Thomas Anderson talked about making Inherent Vice, but he decided
not to.

I wonder if the writer/writers of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" had the
Roger and Jessica of Gravity's Rainbow in mind when they named those
characters.

I once saw a marquee with a missing letter: "Who Framed Roger Rabbi ?"

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2012, 11:09:32 PM3/8/12
See Shockwave Rider. The only way to accomplish anything is to not
hide your identity.

Psmith

Mar 9, 2012, 10:34:15 AM3/9/12
I think Pynchon has accomplished a lot.