NZ visit

Terry Pratchett

Jun 7, 1994, 4:42:39 PM6/7/94
Attn all those who've posted asking for details:

Terry Pratchett Does New Zealand.

21/6 6pm Talk/reading: Children Literary Assn, St Cuthberts College Hall,
AUCKLAND (while the jetlag clangs -- and according to Corgi,
those events which seem to be for kids are open to everyone)

22/6 2.30pm Signing session, Whitcoulls LAQ, WELLINGTON; 6.30pm Wtgn
Children's Book Assn, BP Theatre

23/6 12.30pm Talk/reading, Otago Uni Bookshop, Logan Park High School, DUNEDIN
5.00pm Signing session, Whitcoulls CAS (wossit mean?) CHRISTCHURCH
6.30pm Talk/reading, Canterbury public library

24/6 On to Ikon.

Before anyone asks -- in between all this I'm doing ten interviews or
travelling or having meals (usually on the plane, as far as I can see).
This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.

Terry

Colin MacDonald

Jun 8, 1994, 10:09:53 AM6/8/94
In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

> 5.00pm Signing session, Whitcoulls CAS (wossit mean?)

A RAM pack guru asks this? It means "column address strobe".

Colin

==========================================|=#===|=#===|=#===========
Colin MacDonald | # . | # . | #
Department of Clinical Neurosciences | # . | #
Edinburgh University | #

Mitchell Brandsma

Jun 9, 1994, 8:41:48 PM6/9/94
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

>Attn all those who've posted asking for details:

>Terry Pratchett Does New Zealand.

Hmmm... I've got my "McKusick does Oz" T-shirt (the man of BSD fame)
from when he toured earlier in the year. Do we get to buy "Pratchett
does NZ" and/or "Pratchett does Oz" shirts? 8)

[Kiwi-land info conveniently eaten. *burp* Pardon me]

- Mitchell Brandsma (mee...@perth.DIALix.oz.au :)

michael jones

Jun 9, 1994, 8:23:52 PM6/9/94
In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>Attn all those who've posted asking for details:
>
>Terry Pratchett Does New Zealand.

[stuff about Auckland annihilated]

>22/6 2.30pm Signing session, Whitcoulls LAQ, WELLINGTON; 6.30pm Wtgn
> Children's Book Assn, BP Theatre
>
>23/6 12.30pm Talk/reading, Otago Uni Bookshop, Logan Park High School, DUNEDIN
> 5.00pm Signing session, Whitcoulls CAS (wossit mean?) CHRISTCHURCH

^^^
At a guess I'd say Cathedral Square, but I'm not sure as I'm not from
Christchurch and I don't know if there's a Whitcoulls in Cathedral Square.
BTW the LAQ should stand for Lambton Quay, at least it had better 'cos that's
where I'll be :-)

--======================================================================--
"...in all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and
every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males
prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices
of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this
simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots."

--Diziet Sma to Cheradenine Zakalwe from 'Use of Weapons' by Iain M Banks

quir...@ix.wcc.govt.nz

Jun 10, 1994, 3:22:53 AM6/10/94
cm...@skull.dcn.ed.ac.uk (Colin MacDonald) writes:
> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

>> 5.00pm Signing session, Whitcoulls CAS (wossit mean?)

>A RAM pack guru asks this? It means "column address strobe".

Cute, but probably wrong.

"Whitcoulls LAQ" stands for Whitcoulls, Lambton Quay, so I assume
"CAS" is some sort of reference to one of the major streets in the
Christchurch shopping district.

- Tony Q.
---
Tony Quirke, Wellington, New Zealand (email for phone no)
Pavlov's Dog: "I've got a million proofs that we're not free"
Schrodinger's Cat: "I've got one proof that we are"
Pavlov's Dog: "What's that ?"
Schrodinger's Cat: "Who asks what's that ?" - R.A.Wilson

El Technicolour

Jun 11, 1994, 9:10:50 AM6/11/94
In article <2t8bqo$i...@golem.wcc.govt.nz>, jon...@ix.wcc.govt.nz (michael jones) writes:
> In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
> >Attn all those who've posted asking for details:
> >
> >Terry Pratchett Does New Zealand.
>
> >23/6 12.30pm Talk/reading, Otago Uni Bookshop, Logan Park High School, DUNEDIN
> > 5.00pm Signing session, Whitcoulls CAS (wossit mean?) CHRISTCHURCH
> ^^^
> At a guess I'd say Cathedral Square, but I'm not sure as I'm not from
> Christchurch and I don't know if there's a Whitcoulls in Cathedral Square.

CAS presumably stands for "Cashel Street", where Whitcoulls have their biggest
branch. Its right in the city center. They often have two-bit hacks plugging
their books there.

--
Name: chiz
Quote: "the symbols are so illuminating that the fact that the text is

Terry Pratchett

Jun 11, 1994, 6:48:43 PM6/11/94
In article <2tcd4q$j...@cantua.canterbury.ac.nz> m...@math.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>CAS presumably stands for "Cashel Street", where Whitcoulls have their biggest
>branch. Its right in the city center. They often have two-bit hacks plugging
>their books there.

I have only one bit, I'll have you know.

Terry

Darren Gedye

Jun 13, 1994, 12:13:45 AM6/13/94
In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>From: tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett)
>Subject: NZ visit
>Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 20:42:39 +0000

Whitcoulls is one of our largest chains of bookstores. My guess is that CAS
stands for Cathedral Square and LAQ stands for Lambton Quay. Obviously they
don't expect you to find your own way there.

The poster in my local library advertising the Wellington 6.30 venue said
something about maybe being able to buy you a drink afterwards. Looking at
your schedule I think that may be wishful thinking. Quite why everything is
being organised by Childrens books associations is a bit beyond me though.
I will be there if I have to walk in on my knees!

Darren Gedye D.G...@IRL.CRI.NZ
Industrial Research Ltd, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
All opinions are my own and may not represent those
of IRL (or anyone else!) <><

Brad Turcotte

Jun 13, 1994, 1:27:40 AM6/13/94

In a previous article, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) says:

>I have only one bit, I'll have you know.

Great, now I'm going to be up all night thinking about Pterry's
bit. <sigh>

Brad.
--
"I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside.
And if I seem a little strange; Well, that's because I am." - The Smiths.

Ross Smith

Jun 13, 1994, 2:54:10 PM6/13/94
In article <D.Gedye.10...@irl.cri.nz> D.G...@irl.cri.nz (Darren Gedye) writes:
>In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>>From: tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett)
>
>>22/6 2.30pm Signing session, Whitcoulls LAQ, WELLINGTON; 6.30pm Wtgn
>> Children's Book Assn, BP Theatre
>> [ rest of the country munched ]

>The poster in my local library advertising the Wellington 6.30 venue said
>something about maybe being able to buy you a drink afterwards. Looking at
>your schedule I think that may be wishful thinking. Quite why everything is
>being organised by Childrens books associations is a bit beyond me though.
>I will be there if I have to walk in on my knees!

Hang on -- is this 6.30 fixture open to the public then? From the reference
to a Children's Book Association I assumed it would be a private function.
Can you just walk in, or do you need to book in advance, or is it by
invitation only, or what? I'll be in Welly overnight, and I'd like to hear
Terry talk...

--
... Ross Smith (Wanganui, New Zealand) ... al...@acheron.wanganui.gen.nz ...
GCS/S d? p c++++ l u-- e- m---(*) s+/++ n--- h+ f g+ w+ t+(-) r+ y?

Julian Orbach

Jun 13, 1994, 10:44:46 PM6/13/94

Once upon a time, m...@math.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

>CAS presumably stands for "Cashel Street", where Whitcoulls have
>their biggest branch. Its right in the city center. They often
>have two-bit hacks plugging their books there.

And Pterry quipped

>I have only one bit, I'll have you know.

And I foolishly retorted:

Yeah, and it's got a parity error.

Julian

(Somehow, I don't think mere smilies are going to get me out of this
one.)

---
-- Julian Orbach
-- jul...@cs.uq.oz.au
-- University of Queensland
-- Brisbane, Australia

Terry Pratchett

Jun 13, 1994, 4:44:12 PM6/13/94

>In article <D.Gedye.10...@irl.cri.nz> D.G...@irl.cri.nz (Darren Gedye)
> writes:
>>In article <771021...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk
> (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>>>From: tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett)
>>
>>>22/6 2.30pm Signing session, Whitcoulls LAQ, WELLINGTON; 6.30pm Wtgn
>>> Children's Book Assn, BP Theatre
>>> [ rest of the country munched ]
>>
>>The poster in my local library advertising the Wellington 6.30 venue said
>>something about maybe being able to buy you a drink afterwards. Looking at
>>your schedule I think that may be wishful thinking. Quite why everything is
>>being organised by Childrens books associations is a bit beyond me though.
>>I will be there if I have to walk in on my knees!
>
>Hang on -- is this 6.30 fixture open to the public then? From the reference
>to a Children's Book Association I assumed it would be a private function.
>Can you just walk in, or do you need to book in advance, or is it by
>invitation only, or what? I'll be in Welly overnight, and I'd like to hear
>Terry talk...
>

>My understanding is that everything is open to public. I would certainly hope
so.

The reason the Childrens Book Association is involved is that (regardless of
promises that Soul Music will be there in time) the only book KNOWN to be
there is Johnny and the Dead. Besides, Corgi have a PR presence in NZ;
Gollancz do not, at least directly.

Terry

Andy Howard

Jun 15, 1994, 12:24:00 PM6/15/94
RS> Hang on -- is this 6.30 fixture open to the public then? From the reference
RS> to a Children's Book Association I assumed it would be a private function.
RS> Can you just walk in, or do you need to book in advance, or is it by
RS> invitation only, or what? I'll be in Welly overnight, and I'd like to hear
RS> Terry talk...

He's a very entertaining speaker with (as you might expect) a natural,
understated sense of humour.

---
. RM 1.3 U0411 . Route 666 - way of the beast

----
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST/DS |

Karl Leaning

Jun 16, 1994, 8:16:28 PM6/16/94

In article <771540...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett writes:

> The reason the Childrens Book Association is involved is that (regardless
of
> promises that Soul Music will be there in time) the only book KNOWN to be

> there is Johnny and the Dead. Besides, Corgi have a PR presence in NZ;
> Gollancz do not, at least directly.
>
> Terry

Soul music is out, I have a copy. As for the CLAs holding the meetings,
this would be due to latest PB book from Corgi being Johnny and the Dead.

--
drxa...@grendel.nacjack.gen.nz

sigless due to accident of birth