>Soul Music Out

Roy S Calfas

May 6, 1994, 7:12:29 PM5/6/94
Usual comment from the USA, great, but when do we get
to play catch up? We're missing (not necessarily a complete
list) Eric, Lords&Ladies, the Map and now Soul Music.
Terry promised to "Prod Buttock" in NZ, what about
the US? At 250 million+ people, you'd think we'd be
a not insignificant market? IMHO

121825Q, RFC:FC&QFE

Robert Hummerstone

May 7, 1994, 5:58:12 PM5/7/94

Depende on the persentage with good tast shourly
(hastaly ducking) ;>
Robert Hummerstone

Terry Pratchett

May 7, 1994, 5:56:55 PM5/7/94

Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
understand it.

Terry

mi...@cruzio.com

May 8, 1994, 6:07:27 PM5/8/94
In article <768347...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
> Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
> Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
> see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
> publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
> understand it.
>
> Terry

Ah, probably all that latin. Perhaps you should translate it into American
Indian or something and then it would seem very trendy.

--
.sig .sig .sig UN-.sig UN-.sig UN-.sig
mi...@cruzio.com (All opinions expressed her are MINE, so bite me!)

Have you signed the anti-smiley petition?

Terry Pratchett

May 8, 1994, 7:35:36 PM5/8/94

>In article <768347...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk
> (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>> Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
>> Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
>> see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
>> publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
>> understand it.
>>
>> Terry
>
>Ah, probably all that latin. Perhaps you should translate it into American
>Indian or something and then it would seem very trendy.
>
>--

That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
Americans:

A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?

I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over
many years leads me to believe it is true.

Terry

Laura Johnson

May 9, 1994, 1:14:45 PM5/9/94
Terry Pratchett (tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,

: Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
: see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
: publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
: understand it.

: Terry

Hm, erm, you haven't got, ah, e-mail addresses for any of those
publishers, have you? Or even a snail address or phone number, *with*
the name of real person who might be interested in public demand for
these works?

Ron Asbestos Dippold

May 9, 1994, 3:30:23 PM5/9/94
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
>A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
>An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?

This is partially because instead of an education we get self-esteem
enhancement. It's the latest rage in the public schools (although
it's been going on unheralded for quite a while), which are desperate
for anything to salvage their failure, and it's starting to infect the
private schools. Thus, we may be near the bottom in math skills, but
we _think_ we're damned good at math, and we feel good about
ourselves, which is all that really matters. In the more extreme
cases, however you think you're doing in English is how you're doing
in English, and since teachers think it's gauche to make a fuss about
punctuation, spelling, or grammar, you probably think you're doing
pretty well. No joke. Hence when one of these persons who Knows that
they're smart, well-read, intelligent, and worldly runs into something
that they don't understand, their best explaination is that whoever
wrote this crud is to blame. Just tell them that the "Latin" is some
nonsense words you made up to express your inner feelings and everyone
will be happy.

--
1st Law of Thermodynamics: Go to class!

'73_chevy_pick-up

May 9, 1994, 1:09:04 PM5/9/94

In article 768440...@unseen.demon.co.uk, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
deletions

> That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
> Americans:
>
> A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
> An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
>
> I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over
> many years leads me to believe it is true.
>
> Terry

'knoe what you mean:

If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will junk it
and build a different one.
If Japanese engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will modify it
until it does work.
If American engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
build a bigger one.

'73

Roy S Calfas

May 9, 1994, 7:47:03 PM5/9/94
lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>Hm, erm, you haven't got, ah, e-mail addresses for any of those
>publishers, have you? Or even a snail address or phone number, *with*
>the name of real person who might be interested in public demand for
>these works?

For what it's worth, the address (snail mail) for HarperCollins is:

HarperCollins Publishers Inc
10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Not only ask them where L&L, M@A, Soul Music are, but get the
map, we understand it!

121825Q, RFC:FC&QFE

mi...@cruzio.com

May 9, 1994, 11:22:06 PM5/9/94
In article <768440...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
> That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
> Americans:
>
> A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
> An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
>
> I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over
> many years leads me to believe it is true.
>
> Terry

I'm sorry, but I don't understand you. I think there's something wrong with
my computer.

--
The feeling of Lycra, is the feeling of Freedom. Live in Lycra.
-- Dupont Commercial

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

May 9, 1994, 5:32:43 PM5/9/94
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

>Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
>Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
>see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
>publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
>understand it.

Are they thick or what? They have been making serious amounts of money from
selling Discworld books for several years and the Mapp is probably doing
quite well in the UK. That should be sufficient argument.

Has anyone yet found a UK bookstore with an email address that takes credit
card orders?

--
Philip Green. | Do you think there's anything
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl | to eat in this forest?

Dave Bell

May 9, 1994, 4:07:00 AM5/9/94
-=> Quoting Terry Pratchett to All <=-

TP> Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small
TP> Gods, Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be
TP> happy to see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll
TP> never get a US publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers.
TP> They don't seem to understand it.

Well, tell the publishers it is a subtle marketing promotion, but don't
get trampled in the rush.

To be honest, a non-Pratchett-Fan might already think it is :)

Dave

... Genuine Exploding Tagline. Acme Tagline Inc.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11

----
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST Fidonet (2:252/158) |

djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

May 10, 1994, 9:12:39 AM5/10/94
In article <2qlqng$n...@erinews.ericsson.se> '73 Chevy Pick-up writes:

>If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>junk it
>and build a different one.
>If Japanese engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>modify it
>until it does work.
>If American engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>build a bigger one.

Curious: it seems that coders the world over use the Japanese approach.
(Except Microsoft, of course, who use the American approach repeatedly until
on the _next_ iteration the code would work. Then they release it quickly to
stop the coders actually fixing the bugs.)

David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Real Life: Trinity College, Cambridge. |These opinions are mine alone.
Green Card flames to cs...@lcanter.win.net | Who else would want them?
Books: Niven, Eddings | RPGs: AD&D, Cthulhu | Computer games: Elitist
TV: Any Star Trek | WARG: Star Fleet Battles | Music: Queen & classical

Roy S Calfas

May 10, 1994, 11:41:46 AM5/10/94

>lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>121825Q, RFC:FC&QFE

*******More info

HarperCollins has the following listed telephone #'s

212-207-7000
800-331-3761
800-242-7737
800-328-3443
The last one is listed as being "Customer Service"

121825Q, RFC:FC&QFE

Robert Pratt

May 10, 1994, 8:17:54 PM5/10/94
In article <768347...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk writes:
>Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
>Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
>see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
>publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
>understand it.
>Terry

Well, _Eric_ is out in paperback in the US, and has been for at least
a month or two. I saw it at my local bookshop when it first came out, since
they display new stuff separately, but since I already had my illustrated
British edition (which arrived two days after Terry was at a signing in
Berkeley, poor timing) I kinda ignored it.
I thought there was a new US hardback as well, but I'm not sure if that's
true, or which one, since Future Fantasy does get in British editions from
time to time, and I buy those since they arrive first. I have a few
virtues, but patience is not among them.
For anyone else in the US who's interested, Future Fantasy does do mail
order, and they are on the net at fut...@netcom.com. They also have
a WWW page, but I can't remember the location offhand. And no, I'm not
associated with them, just a satisfied customer for 10 years.

And the idea of Denver International's luggage handling system tangling
with the Luggage scares me, since I think the Luggage would probably damage
most of Colorado in the process of killing DI off. :-)

Bob

Bob Pratt | voice : (408) 577-8274
Novell, Inc. | Fax : (408) 577-5447
2180 Fortune Drive, San Jose, Ca. 95131 | Internet : rpr...@Novell.com
Disclaimer: I do not speak for Novell in any way, shape, or form.
"Mustrum Ridcully did a lot for rare species. For one thing, he kept them
rare." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_

John Kim

May 10, 1994, 8:15:29 PM5/10/94
>Blame publishers. HarperCollins have got Lords and Ladies, Small Gods,
>Men At Arms and Soul Music. I *think* Roc have got Eric. I'd be happy to
>see them all out in one go. As for the Map...I suspect it'll never get a US
>publication. It seemed to frighten US publishers. They don't seem to
>understand it.
>
>Terry

Probably because they have a hard enough time finding things on real
world maps along with trying to answer difficult questions like
who was buried in Grant's tomb and when was the war of 1812.

John ;)

Simon Cooke

May 12, 1994, 3:44:24 AM5/12/94
In article <djsd100.44...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk writes:
>In article <2qlqng$n...@erinews.ericsson.se> '73 Chevy Pick-up writes:
>>
>>If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>>junk it
>>and build a different one.
>>If Japanese engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>>modify it
>>until it does work.
>>If American engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they will
>>build a bigger one.

>Curious: it seems that coders the world over use the Japanese approach.
>(Except Microsoft, of course, who use the American approach repeatedly until
>on the _next_ iteration the code would work. Then they release it quickly to
>stop the coders actually fixing the bugs.)

Hmmm... until, of course, your code gets so complicated that you have to
resort to the archaic methods of

1) Drawing Flowcharts
2) Wading thru' pages of hardcopy
3) Kicking the computer, the cat, the wall, your neighbour, your mother-in-
law, your neighbour's mother-in-law, you neighbour's mother-in-law's
computer, cat and wall, the dog, the goldfish and the bucket.

Normally this is followed by:

4) Sodding it, dumping it in the bin, getting (for you older programmers) a
packet of Bensons and a large vat of tea, sitting down for half an hour
playing Robotron, and then rewriting it from scratch in the hope that the
bugs that hit you this time won't be half as malicious as the ones last
time...

Simon Cooke (Your Sinclair magazine's Tech Editor, computer programmer,
frisbee beveller, marshmallow toaster and pet blood succour <make of that
what you will>)

+----------------INTERNET: C...@FS2.EE.UMIST.AC.UK-------------------+
| When walking a tightrope made of razor-blades, be very careful -- |
| you won't be able to grab hold of it if you fall. (Si Cooke, '94) |
+------------------JANET: C...@UK.AC.UMIST.EE.FS2--------------------+

djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

May 12, 1994, 1:24:07 PM5/12/94

#4 is, in fact, the British engineer method. I'd laugh at that if I hadn't
done it 3 times over (and #1 and #3) in an attempt to make a program I
was writing small enough to fit into my calculator's 4.2K memory: it took an
amount of time way out of proportion to the size of the program. :-(
Then I managed to squeeze the final version down to under 3K. :-)

mi...@cruzio.com

May 12, 1994, 2:34:33 PM5/12/94
In article <djsd100.44...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>, djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk writes:
> Curious: it seems that coders the world over use the Japanese approach.
> (Except Microsoft, of course, who use the American approach repeatedly until
> on the _next_ iteration the code would work. Then they release it quickly to
> stop the coders actually fixing the bugs.)

Well, to quote from on of Rick Cook's "Wizardry" books:

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the
engineers and put the damn thing into production."

It is an unfortunate side-effect of the software business that we
occassionally have to sell software to pay the salaries of the engineers who
we need to fix the bugs in the software we've already sold.

(What a strange, strange line.)

Dave Bell

May 10, 1994, 3:55:00 PM5/10/94
-=> Quoting '73 Chevy Pick-up to All <=-

'CP> In article 768440...@unseen.demon.co.uk,
'CP> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes: .........
'CP> deletions
'CP> .........

> That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
> Americans:
>
> A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
> An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
>
> I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over
> many years leads me to believe it is true.
>
> Terry

'CP> 'knoe what you mean:

'CP> If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
'CP> will junk it and build a different one.
'CP> If Japanese engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
'CP> will modify it until it does work.
'CP> If American engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
'CP> will build a bigger one.

What is odd about this is that the Japanese got where they are today by
copying American industry.

American industry c. 1945, that is.

Dave

... Vorsprung durch Technik

Neil L Cook

May 13, 1994, 5:23:28 AM5/13/94
Simon Cooke (c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk) wrote:
: Hmmm... until, of course, your code gets so complicated that you have to
: resort to the archaic methods of

: 1) Drawing Flowcharts

Unfortunately, this fails at the "flowcharts are completely crap at
representing any code more than a page long" hurdle.

: 2) Wading thru' pages of hardcopy

The Paperless Office - more than just a dream, with computers it can
be reality! Then you wake up and cry for all those trees.

: 3) Kicking the computer, the cat, the wall, your neighbour, your mother-in-

: law, your neighbour's mother-in-law, you neighbour's mother-in-law's
: computer, cat and wall, the dog, the goldfish and the bucket.

This normally takes place at every stage of coding...

: Normally this is followed by:

: 4) Sodding it, dumping it in the bin, getting (for you older programmers) a
: packet of Bensons and a large vat of tea, sitting down for half an hour
: playing Robotron, and then rewriting it from scratch in the hope that the
: bugs that hit you this time won't be half as malicious as the ones last
: time...

Aha, the traditional bug fixing method.

Of course, using "structured techniques", you can write code that is
perfectly safe to use in nuclear reactors, and completely bug free.
It is intuitively obvious that using these techniques removes any
chance of your code following freed pointers into meltdown.

Neil.

Edward Rothman

May 13, 1994, 7:34:13 AM5/13/94

In article <6052.31...@evaware.org>, Dave Bell (dave...@evaware.org) writes:
>-=> Quoting '73 Chevy Pick-up to All <=-
>
>'CP> In article 768440...@unseen.demon.co.uk,
>'CP> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes: .........
>'CP> deletions
>'CP> .........
>> That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
>> Americans:
>>
>> A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?
>> An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
>>
>> I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over
>> many years leads me to believe it is true.
>>
>> Terry
>
>'CP> 'knoe what you mean:
>
>'CP> If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
>'CP> will junk it and build a different one.
>'CP> If Japanese engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
>'CP> will modify it until it does work.
>'CP> If American engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they
>'CP> will build a bigger one.
>
>What is odd about this is that the Japanese got where they are today by
>copying American industry.
>
>American industry c. 1945, that is.
>
>Dave

Ah, but before the Japanese copied the Merkins, they copied us
Brits (hence they had much better technology than the US expected.
I'm thinking of the Zero fighter in particular). They also took the
British attitude of the day.

Alan Bellingham

EPiSYS, 1, Ash House, Melbourn Science Park, Royston, SG8 6EJ, UK
edw...@episys.win-uk.net / al...@episys.win-uk.net (+44)763 262629

_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/
_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ Edward Rothman
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Alan Bellingham
_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ CIS: 100135,1004

Chris E. Becht

May 13, 1994, 8:16:42 AM5/13/94
Edward Rothman (edw...@episys.win-uk.net) wrote:
:
: >
: >'CP> If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, they

: >'CP> will junk it and build a different one.

Um.. Wait a second, are these the same British engineers, and the same
attitude that brought us Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulics?

Daniel Pead

May 13, 1994, 9:36:50 AM5/13/94
In article <1994May13....@cs.nott.ac.uk>

n...@cs.nott.ac.uk (Neil L Cook) writes:

> The Paperless Office - more than just a dream, with computers it can
> be reality! Then you wake up and cry for all those trees.

... generally considered to be about as practical a proposition as the
paperless lavatory. Remember - the computer was the device that
brought
you the Snoopy calender!

---------------------------------
Daniel Pead
Shell Centre for Maths Education
Nottingham University

Vivek Dasmohapatra

May 13, 1994, 12:26:24 PM5/13/94
In article <6...@episys.win-uk.net> edw...@episys.win-uk.net (Edward Rothman) writes:
>From: edw...@episys.win-uk.net (Edward Rothman)
>Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 11:34:13 GMT
>Subject: Re: >Soul Music Out

>Ah, but before the Japanese copied the Merkins, they copied us
>Brits (hence they had much better technology than the US expected.
>I'm thinking of the Zero fighter in particular). They also took the
>British attitude of the day.

>Alan Bellingham

What, that blatant imperialism and exploitation of other countries was a
good idea? Is that the attitude you mean?
| | |
| "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC" | Vivek Dasmohapatra |
| | King's College |
| | Cambridge |
| "TO PROTECT AND SERVE" | CB2 - 1ST |
|_____________________________________________|______________________________|

Rich 'mcmxciibo' Holmes

May 13, 1994, 9:51:56 AM5/13/94

>It is an unfortunate side-effect of the software business that we
>occassionally have to sell software to pay the salaries of the engineers who
>we need to fix the bugs in the software we've already sold.

If I were in the software business, this quote would go *straight*
into my sig file, toot sweet.

Maybe Terry should use it in Unclear Physics.

--
- Rich "mcmxciibo" Holmes

Of course, it's perpetual April for a.r.k readers, isn't it?
- not Paul Tomblin

Simon Cooke

May 15, 1994, 11:00:02 AM5/15/94
In article <djsd100.48...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk writes:
>>Hmmm... until, of course, your code gets so complicated that you have to
>>resort to the archaic methods of
>>
>>1) Drawing Flowcharts
>>2) Wading thru' pages of hardcopy
>>3) Kicking the computer, the cat, the wall, your neighbour, your mother-in-
>>law, your neighbour's mother-in-law, you neighbour's mother-in-law's
>>computer, cat and wall, the dog, the goldfish and the bucket.
>>
>>Normally this is followed by:
>>
>>4) Sodding it, dumping it in the bin, getting (for you older programmers) a
>>packet of Bensons and a large vat of tea, sitting down for half an hour
>>playing Robotron, and then rewriting it from scratch in the hope that the
>>bugs that hit you this time won't be half as malicious as the ones last
>>time...

>#4 is, in fact, the British engineer method. I'd laugh at that if I hadn't
>done it 3 times over (and #1 and #3) in an attempt to make a program I
>was writing small enough to fit into my calculator's 4.2K memory: it took an
>amount of time way out of proportion to the size of the program. :-(
> Then I managed to squeeze the final version down to under 3K. :-)

>David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

*grins* I know... I've been here... There's nothing quite like being
comissioned to write the disc protection for a new game, and then only being
given it 1 night before it is due to be released: result? 24 hour
programming session (--<Yawn>--)

Method 4 has been a fave hit of all programmers since Jeff Minter. Methods 1
and 2, I use occasionally when I want to program something too complicated
to carry all the relevant coding stages in my head (complex m/c compression
routines for example), and method 3 when I want light relief :)

Si Cooke (Your Sinclair magazine's pet bibliovore)

+----------------INTERNET: C...@FS2.EE.UMIST.AC.UK-------------------+
| Blood Succour: Another name for a helpful vampire??? :) |
| "The Chronos Theorem" -- Update: 80 pages and holding |
+------------------JANET: C...@UK.AC.UMIST.EE.FS2--------------------+

'73_chevy_pick-up

May 16, 1994, 10:48:04 AM5/16/94

Um. maybe I should have out "eventually" at the end of that statement.

In any case, have you ever tried to find a lamp cluster for an MG that
was the same as the one you are trying to replace?

'73

D.S.King

May 14, 1994, 5:37:29 AM5/14/94
In article <vd10002.12...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> vd1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (Vivek Dasmohapatra) writes:
>In article <6...@episys.win-uk.net> edw...@episys.win-uk.net (Edward Rothman) writes:

>What, that blatant imperialism and exploitation of other countries was a
>good idea? Is that the attitude you mean?

Probably. Some might still say that it's a good idea.[1]

--
Best wishes from | EB: Baldrick, your brain is like the four headed,
| man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen
| B: In what way?
That Weird Bloke | EB: It doesn't exist

D.S.King

May 14, 1994, 5:47:25 AM5/14/94
In article <34...@rook.ukc.ac.uk> d...@ukc.ac.uk (D.S.King) writes:
>In article <vd10002.12...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> vd1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (Vivek Dasmohapatra) writes:
>>In article <6...@episys.win-uk.net> edw...@episys.win-uk.net (Edward Rothman) writes:
>
>>What, that blatant imperialism and exploitation of other countries was a
>>good idea? Is that the attitude you mean?
>
>Probably. Some might still say that it's a good idea.[1]

[1] For the imperialist country, that is.

Edward Rothman

May 14, 1994, 10:34:29 PM5/14/94

Waaah! Right, that's it. If I see a grad [1] with a King's scarf at
Dillons on the 3rd, this townie [2] is going to have words.

Alan Bellingham

Annotations for Merkins et alia:

1: A derogatory term for Cambridge students used by townies (qv)
2: A derogatory term for Cambridge residents used by students. Often
considered the second lowest form of life [3].
3: Strangely enough, the Cambridge student considers those from
Oxford to be the lowest. Guess where I was born. Right.

Chris E. Becht

May 16, 1994, 9:17:37 PM5/16/94
'73ChevyPick-up wrote:

: '73

No, I've tried to find spares for a MkII Cortina on the west side of
the pond. I'll trade you any amount of parts aggro, and have plenty to spare
umm.. left over

Andy Howard

May 16, 1994, 2:39:00 PM5/16/94
CB> :
CB> : >
CB> : >'CP> If British engineers build a machine that doesn't work properly, the
CB> : >'CP> will junk it and build a different one.

CB> Um.. Wait a second, are these the same British engineers, and the same
CB> attitude that brought us Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulics?

Ah, another happy Triumph owner eh?

I remember the famous Lucas 3-position light switch:
Dim, Flicker or Blow...

I think he meant we junk it by exporting it to the US...

---
. RM 1.3 U0411 . Apartheid is just a pigment of the imagination.

Charles H King

May 24, 1994, 4:44:30 AM5/24/94
In article <6914.31...@evaware.org>
andy....@evaware.org "Andy Howard" writes:

>CB> Um.. Wait a second, are these the same British engineers, and the same
>CB> attitude that brought us Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulics?
>
>Ah, another happy Triumph owner eh?
>
>I remember the famous Lucas 3-position light switch:
>Dim, Flicker or Blow...

This weekend I took a Triumph Stag for a test drive. Number 24 of the last
25 ever built. Now there's a *lovely* car, well ahead of it's time.

I'm sure the reason it doesn't come with a radio is so that you can listen to
the 3 litre V8 burbling along at 30mph and then hum 'Ride of the Valkyries'
as the kick-down evokes a powerful roar all the way to eightyplus.

ObTenuousTerryLink: er... ***Sort of a Spoiler***

You have been warned.

Piers Anthony had a Death whose horse could turn into a car. Now that our death
has tried a Harley(ish), will he looking into the possibility of a veehickle?

Charlie
| -=< Charles H King >=- \ Think Ahea|
|InterNet: Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk \ d|

'73_chevy_pick-up

May 24, 1994, 11:17:58 AM5/24/94
In article 769769...@prospect.demon.co.uk, Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk (Charles H King) writes:
> In article <6914.31...@evaware.org>
> andy....@evaware.org "Andy Howard" writes:
>
> >CB> Um.. Wait a second, are these the same British engineers, and the same
> >CB> attitude that brought us Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulics?
> >
> >Ah, another happy Triumph owner eh?
> >
> >I remember the famous Lucas 3-position light switch:
> >Dim, Flicker or Blow...
>
> This weekend I took a Triumph Stag for a test drive. Number 24 of the last
> 25 ever built. Now there's a *lovely* car, well ahead of it's time.
>
> I'm sure the reason it doesn't come with a radio is so that you can listen to
> the 3 litre V8 burbling along at 30mph and then hum 'Ride of the Valkyries'
> as the kick-down evokes a powerful roar all the way to eightyplus.

Sound of the 3 main bearings in the straight 6 giving up the unequal
struggle more like. The only time I've ever heard a Stag burble is
when the radiator boiled over. The hairdresser (naturally) who was
driving it was none too pleased.

'73

Chris E. Becht

May 24, 1994, 11:07:23 PM5/24/94
'73ChevyPick-up wrote:

: In article 769769...@prospect.demon.co.uk, Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk (Charles H King) writes:
: > In article <6914.31...@evaware.org>
: > andy....@evaware.org "Andy Howard" writes:
: >
: > >CB> Um.. Wait a second, are these the same British engineers, and the same
: > >CB> attitude that brought us Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulics?
: > >
: > >Ah, another happy Triumph owner eh?

No. Worse the proud owner of a MkII Cortina GT. Seems that Ford had
enough 'pull' to have things made to their owns specs, so they
interchange with nothing else. One of these days I need to get something
simple.

Charles H King

May 27, 1994, 7:37:52 AM5/27/94
In article <2rt5r6$f...@erinews.ericsson.se> '73 writes:

>> I'm sure the reason it doesn't come with a radio is so that you can listen to
>> the 3 litre V8 burbling along at 30mph and then hum 'Ride of the Valkyries'
>> as the kick-down evokes a powerful roar all the way to eightyplus.
>>

>Sound of the 3 main bearings in the straight 6 giving up the unequal
>struggle more like. The only time I've ever heard a Stag burble is
>when the radiator boiled over. The hairdresser (naturally) who was
>driving it was none too pleased.

Nope :)

Definately healthy, definately V8 and definately burbling.