Pern fan fiction

AliCat

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
I _have_ read the FAQ section about fan fiction, just so no one tells me to
go read it. I want to write a "Mary Sue" story (that means a story where I'm
the main character) about me on Pern. I know I can go ahead and write it,
but I also want to put it online. Now, with Star Trek fan fiction (among
others), it's standard practice to put a disclaimer on it such as: Star Trek
is owned by Paramount etc. I am making no money on this. Original characters
and story line are property of the author. Etc, etc. The FAQ basically said
her characters may be mentioned but not used, then it said it would be
plagiarism to use Pern! Apparently there was some problem with fan fiction
and a Marion Zimmer Bradley story. If the publishers lurk on this newsgroup,
please e-mail me (remove SPAMFREE from the e-mail addy) and tell me not to
do this if I can't! I would gladly give Mrs. McCaffrey rights to my story,
if that means I can put it online (or even get it published - hahahaha).
Sorry if this has been brought up and flogged to death before, but I have
never seen the discussion here.

AliCat
>^, ,^<
MEOW!
(Crossing my fingers.)

Elizabeth Blatt

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
In article <XeSk2.71466$c8.34...@hme2.newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,
"AliCat" <aa...@SPAMFREEsprint.ca> wrote:

I believe AMC's homepage has a specific answer to the fanfic question as
well on her own FAQ. It's been a while since I read that, but her take--as
I remember--is: you can write it but don't publish it online (ie, emailing
it to friends or within a fan Weyr is permissible, but not posting it as a
web page). Last year AMC sent a very strongly-worded letter to a Pern M*
player demanding immediate removal of some web pages, because AMC had
mistaken posted MUSH roleplay logs for fan fiction (the letter, IIRC from
when I read it, noted that legal action would be forthcoming if the fan
fiction were not immediately removed).

Hope this info is helpful,
Elizabeth // Merellia, Neith's rider
Ista Weyr, PernMUSH // pern.mccr.org 4201

Kris Frye

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
In article <XeSk2.71466$c8.34...@hme2.newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,
AliCat <aa...@SPAMFREEsprint.ca> wrote:

>I _have_ read the FAQ section about fan fiction, just so no one tells me to
>go read it. I want to write a "Mary Sue" story (that means a story where I'm
>the main character) about me on Pern. I know I can go ahead and write it,
>but I also want to put it online.

Anne (or her lawyers, however you want to look at it) are notoriously
protective of Pern. Any Pern story online would soon be answered with a
not-so-friendly letter from her lawyers. What you can do, however, is
join one of the numerous Pern Fan Fiction clubs who have each received
her permission to publish fan fiction among members of the club. Lots of
these clubs have an online presence, and they are always looking for new
members.

Good luck!

Brought to you by Kris <kf...@reed.edu>, the letter x, and the number 23
"A flying saucer results when a nudist spills his coffee."

Robert Greene

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Kris Frye wrote:

> Anne (or her lawyers, however you want to look at it) are notoriously
> protective of Pern. Any Pern story online would soon be answered with a
> not-so-friendly letter from her lawyers. What you can do, however, is
> join one of the numerous Pern Fan Fiction clubs who have each received
> her permission to publish fan fiction among members of the club. Lots of
> these clubs have an online presence, and they are always looking for new
> members.

Out of curiosity, what are the laws about artwork? I see them posted everywhere,
book cover art, the Ruth picture and others from the calendar, and, like Francois
wonderful site, scans of book covers. Where is the line for copywrite
infringement? I've got quite a collection of Pern art and dragon art I picked
up from sites all over. If I set up a web page, how do I keep from legal
troubles if I post art that I don't know the origin? While I love Francois'
page, for example, it seems to me that most of his pics are technically illegal.
C-

Karena Kliefoth

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:42:56 -0500, Robert Greene
<gre...@net-link.net> wrote:

>Out of curiosity, what are the laws about artwork? I see them posted everywhere,
>book cover art, the Ruth picture and others from the calendar, and, like Francois
>wonderful site, scans of book covers. Where is the line for copywrite
>infringement? I've got quite a collection of Pern art and dragon art I picked
>up from sites all over. If I set up a web page, how do I keep from legal
>troubles if I post art that I don't know the origin? While I love Francois'
>page, for example, it seems to me that most of his pics are technically illegal.
>C-

I suggest you go to DejaNews ( http://www.dejanews.com/ ) and do a
Power Search on the title "Important!! Re Pern-Related Art" before
putting up Pern fan art pages.

Specifically, this message:

http://x13.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=238186667&CONTEXT=917331357.689963140&hitnum=9

-Karena

Christi

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
     Thanks bunches, that raises another point.  I wasn't thinking of fan artwork, but I do see obvious Pern art on many sites.  So those people are technically breaking copywrite laws?
     My actual question, though, was about Whelan's or Rowena or Hildebrand etc. that published their art in books calendars etc. and that art is now on a web site.  I would think that is breaking copywrite of authors, publishers, and the artists.  Is this okay as long as you don't make money off your site?  Or always a no-no?  Since it's relatively easy to find Pern pages and art, it would seem everyone would have email from AM or her lawyers.

C-

Karena Kliefoth

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:57:16 -0500, Christi <Blueca...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Thanks bunches, that raises another point. I wasn't thinking of fan artwork, but
>I do see obvious Pern art on many sites. So those people are technically breaking
>copywrite laws?

Yes. Only the holder of the copyright (The right to copy) is allowed
to do with those images as s/he wishes.

> My actual question, though, was about Whelan's or Rowena or Hildebrand etc. that
>published their art in books calendars etc. and that art is now on a web site. I would
>think that is breaking copywrite of authors, publishers, and the artists. Is this okay
>as long as you don't make money off your site? Or always a no-no? Since it's
>relatively easy to find Pern pages and art, it would seem everyone would have email
>from AM or her lawyers.

Well, it's a sticky situation. I would say that no, it is not okay to
put up pictures of Rowena's art, or Whelan's, without her/his
permission. On the other hand, Whelan has his own website and freely
makes high quality jpgs available. http://www.glassonion.com/ But
this does not give the downloader the right to post the image on
his/her own website. If in doubt, send the artist an email, if you can
find his/her email address, asking for permission to use his/her art.

Anne McCaffrey does NOT own the copyright to Whelan's paintings. Only
Whelan owns the copyright. He can produce as many posters of Jaxom and
the white dragon as he wants and sell them without Anne seeing a dime
of it.

On the other hand, fan art seems to be fair game for Anne and her
lawyers.

-Karena

Coelura

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
RE: Pern pictures and art on web sites.

I believe that so long as you are not selling copies of the pictures or drawing
pictures of Anne's characters and selling them you are ok in posting them on
your site.
It's making money off of copyrighted material that is the problem.
But you would need to be cautious if drawing your own pictures. Don't do
anything that closely resembles copyrighted material, from People of Pern or
descriptions in Anne's books.
Maybe that's taking it too far on the cautious side, but better safe than
sorry. :-)

Becky
Coe...@aol.com

"...no one will know it's coelura unless you let 'em."
The Coelura, by Anne McCaffrey

Sariel

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
From what I read once at Micheal Whelan's site, it is illegal to
reprint/post the cover art without permission. However, scans of the covers
of the book (with the title & author printed on it) are legal and don't
require permission.

I also looked through the whole discussion about Dee Dreslough's art in the
Dejanews archives. It seems that art "inspired" by Pern is actually legal,
it's just that selling & profiting from it without permission is not. The
addresses for some of the most illuminating follow-up posts from Dee are
below.

http://x16.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=238752305&search=thread&threaded=1&CONT
EXT=917496737.1709637729&hitnum=14

http://x16.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=238767176&search=thread&threaded=1&CONT