Copyrights

Bubble II

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Hiya, everyone!

[clears throat.] I was thinking of making a Pern website, and I'm not
sure of where one crosses the border into breaking certain copyright
laws, and I've heard of some people who've had to shut down their
website because some of Anne's lawyers told them to. Are there any
specific NO-NO's? Can I draw a dragon, scan it, then put it on my page?
Thanks in advance.

You see, I was thinking of asking the author directly in email, but I
was slightly intimidated by emailing such a notable author.

--
Bubble II

Coelura

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
>From: Bubble II <Bubb...@angelfire.com>
>Date: 5/9/99 3:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Hiya, everyone!
>
>[clears throat.] I was thinking of making a Pern website, and I'm not
>sure of where one crosses the border into breaking certain copyright
>laws, and I've heard of some people who've had to shut down their
>website because some of Anne's lawyers told them to. Are there any
>specific NO-NO's? Can I draw a dragon, scan it, then put it on my page?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>You see, I was thinking of asking the author directly in email, but I
>was slightly intimidated by emailing such a notable author.

Copyrights are tricky things. They are a much needed thing tho! (having just
completed the Anne McCaffrey Collector's Guide with my partner, we copyrighted
it for our protection.)
You can certainly draw your own dragon and add it to your web page. You just
can't say it's Ramoth or Canth or Ruth. It has to be YOUR dragon.
If what you are wanting to add to your page isn't your original piece then I
wouldn't add it without permission. You can write that you are a fan of Anne's
and read all her books and list the titles and such.
As for artwork of the book covers.....I'd think you need permission for that
too. That is the artist's or the publisher's 'property'. Tho some that have
them on their web pages can answer that better than I. :-)

Good luck with your page! Post the addy when it's done!
Becky
Coe...@aol.com

"...no one will know it's coelura unless you let 'em."
The Coelura, by Anne McCaffrey

Wyldhart

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Becky/Coelura wrote:
> >From: Bubble II <Bubb...@angelfire.com>

> >[clears throat.] I was thinking of making a Pern website
> >[snip]

> >Can I draw a dragon, scan it, then put it on my page?
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> You can certainly draw your own dragon and add it to your web page.
You just
> can't say it's Ramoth or Canth or Ruth. It has to be YOUR dragon.

I already have my own pern art gallery, of my own paintings of people
and dragons from a fan club. I don't sell these drawings and didn't
charge the fan club members for them. They're on the club pages, which
is an official club, but my personal gallery is not part of the club
website. I stated AM's copyright on my page, among the terms and
conditions for use of my pictures. I am sure I am not breaking any
laws, but out of courtesy I mailed AM about my page anyway.

I've never done paintings of AM's Pern characters, but Becky's message
above surprised me. I didn't think it would be against copyright to do
so, as long as you don't sell it. Does anyone know for sure? I would
have thought this topic has been discussed here before.

My pern area is http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2876/pern/

*** You have been posted by April!
*** email: wyldhart at lovergirl dot com - (icq uin) 2140855
*** homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2876/
*** aka Wyldhart, Priestess of Procrastination
*** "Don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off till next week!"

Coelura

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
> I didn't think it would be against copyright to do
>so, as long as you don't sell it. Does anyone know for sure? I would
>have thought this topic has been discussed here before.
>
>My pern area is http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2876/pern/
>
>*** You have been posted by April!
> *** email: wyldhart at lovergirl dot com - (icq uin) 2140855
> *** homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2876/

This has been a topic a few times I think. :-) And it's still as clear as
mud! :-D As far as I know if you draw one of Anne's characters for your own
personal enjoyment that's ok. But displaying it for others to see or selling
it is a no no.
Right now with all the goings on with the TV show and them owning the rights to
the Dragonriders of Pern ® (or whatever they own), the lawyers are being pretty
heavy handed. I think if there was no show we fans wouldn't have any trouble
(well, maybe not as much trouble) as there has been in the past. The biggest
thing to avoid is making money from selling the pictures, which you have done.

Great page, btw!

Shadowtext

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99

Coelura <coe...@aol.com> wrote in message

>Right now with all the goings on with the TV show and them owning the
rights to
>the Dragonriders of Pern ® (or whatever they own), the lawyers are being
pretty
>heavy handed. I think if there was no show we fans wouldn't have any
trouble
>(well, maybe not as much trouble) as there has been in the past. The
biggest
>thing to avoid is making money from selling the pictures, which you have
done.

And you know, when the show is finally out, some of their overzealousness
might just die down a bit. It's just that while the whole deal has NOT
happened yet, the show doesn't want the name in any way sullied, a thing
which would be very possible. So once the show is out, I'm (almost) sure
they'll slacken a bit.

-Shadowtext
Founder of Shadowtext's Dark Pantheon
http://members.xoom.com/Shadowtext/

Dragonet

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
to Bubble II
Bubble II wrote:
> You see, I was thinking of asking the author directly in email, but I
> was slightly intimidated by emailing such a notable author.
> --
> Bubble II
> --

My suggestion is to ask the DragonLady herself if you're really
concerned. Don't worry she won't bite your head. But it really depends
on what you're intending to add on your page.

I had the same problem with my Who's who page, so I emailed her asking
for her permission. Basically I was told to just add "The World of Pern
is copyrighted to Anne McCaffrey (c) l967. 'The Dragonriders of Pern'
(R) is a registered trademark." A lot of Pern pages have that on their
pages or something similar.

Keep smiling with clear skies,
Sue Anne

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn." [ouch! *grin*]
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/1842/

Dragonet

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
to Bubble II
Bubble II wrote:
> Thanks in advance.

Wyldhart

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Sue Anne wrote:
> I had the same problem with my Who's who page, so I emailed her
asking
> for her permission. Basically I was told to just add "The World of
Pern
> is copyrighted to Anne McCaffrey (c) l967. 'The Dragonriders of Pern'
> (R) is a registered trademark." A lot of Pern pages have that on
their
> pages or something similar.

I haven't gotten a reply back yet, I tried to mail AM herself. It
just occured to me she might not be interested in this business and
passes it on to her lawyer or someone who works for her. Does anyone
know if I need to contact someone else and what their email address is?

Thanks,

*** You have been posted by April!

*** work: april at lovergirl dot com - (tel) 08 9333 8853
*** home: wyldhart at lovergirl dot com - (icq uin) 2140855
*** homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2876/

Shadowstalker

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Anne's e-mail address for anyone who wants it is : anni...@iol.ie