You Must Be Drawn

1 view

Trudie

Aug 10, 2008, 12:36:51 PM8/10/08
You Must Be Drawn

Our Lord said: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me
draws that person." This is a great commendation of grace!
Do not make judgments about whom God draws and whom he does not draw, unless
you wish to
fall into error. Accept this once and for all, and understand it: you are
not yet drawn to God?
Pray that you may be drawn!
-Augustine-- Sermon on John 26, 2

<><><><><>
August 10th - St. Gerontius, King & Martyr
(Also known as Geraint)

Died 508(?). Saint Gerontius of Damnonia (Devon) and his wife Enid were the
subjects of romantic legends. He died in battle against the Saxons. There is
another King Saint Gerontius of Cornwall, who died in 596. One of these
saints is the patron of Saint Gerrans in Cornwall and Saint Geran in
Brittany (Benedictines).

Marwnat Geraint or Elegy for Geraint

Around the year 480, a battle took place between the Saxons, defending the
old Roman Saxon Shore fort of Portchester, and British forces led,
apparently, by Arthur. The poem, found in the "Black Book of Carmarthen," is
a battle elegy written in praise of Geraint, a Dumnonian king, who fell
during the conflict. It is also found in The Red Book of Hergest (circa
1400) and in The White Book of Rhydderch (circa 1350): only a fragment in
the latter. Although it can not be dated more precisely than "early twelfth
century or before", it may well be as early as the ninth century, and could
reference a battle in either 480 or 710. Either way, it contains another
early reference to Arthur. The significant thing is that it is not a
legendary tale of one of Arthur's deeds, but mentions him only in an
incidental way.

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, in its entry for the year 501, reports the event
this way: "Port and his two sons, Bieda and Maegla, came to Britain at the
place called Portsmouth, and slew a young Welshman, a very noble man". This
interpretation of Llogporth is that Llongborth (sea-port) was mostly likely
Portchester, the westernmost of the Saxon Shore forts at the head of
Portsmouth Harbour. According to John Morris (Age of Arthur), dates given in
the early parts of the Anglo Saxon Chronicle are believed to be about 20
years off, due to an error by the 8th century historian, Bede, in dating the
Adventus Saxonum, the coming of the Saxons.

The poem may also refer to the battle of Langport in 710 recorded in the
Anglo-Saxon Chronicles: "...and Ine and Nunna, his relative, fought against
Geraint, king of the Welsh" (where Welsh=West Welsh of Devon). This Geraint
is also recorded as corresponding with Aldhelm. If this is the case the
reference to Arthur is an anachronism.

Geraint ab Erbin may be a composite figure based on the Gerontius who
rebelled against Constantine in the early fifth century, a sixth-century
Geraint in The Gododdin, and the later Geraint/Geruntius of Devon who fought
the West Saxons in 710. The Welsh text is as edited and annotated by AOH
Jarman in the Llyfr Du Caerfyrddin.

<><><><>
Troparion of St Geraint tone 8

Thou wast a Confessor for the Faith, a friend and father of saints/
and a wise and pious king, O holy Geraint./
Even in the Age of Saints thy virtues shone forth, O righteous one/
and as thou wast a shining beacon guiding thy
subjects in Devon into the way of salvation,/
intercede, we beseech thee, with Christ our God,/
for those who call upon thee, that He will save our souls.

Taken from:

Saint Quote:
Who has lost and who has won in the struggle-the one who keeps the premises
[buildings] or the one who keeps the Faith? The Faith obviously. That
therefore the ordinances which have been preserved in the churches from old
time until now may not be lost in our days,... rouse yourselves,
brethren,... seeing them now seized upon by aliens.
-St. Basil the Great (ca. 330-ca. 379)

Bible Quote
19. Jesus said to them: Because of your unbelief. For, amen I say to you, if
you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain,
Remove from hence hither, and it shall remove; and nothing shall be
impossible to you. (Matthew 17:19)

<><><><>
An Act of Perfect Contrition, taken from a nineteenth century prayer book:

Behold at Thy feet, O sweet Jesus, a miserable and repenting sinner,
lamenting from my heart for having sinned against Thee, and resolved to
consecrate to Thy service and Thy love the remainder of my life. I confess
that I have sinned against Heaven and before Thee, and that I am not worthy
to be called Thy child. Have pity on me, O Lord; have pity on me, and
according to the multitude of Thy mercies vouchsafe to forgive all my
iniquities,

"Wash me from mine iniquities, and cleanse me from my sins; for I know mine
iniquities, and my sins are always before me. There is no health in my
flesh because of Thy wrath; there is no peace for my bones because of my
sins. For mine iniquities are gone over my head, and, as a heavy burden,
are becoming heavy upon me. My sores are putrefied and corrupted because of
my foolishness. I am become miserable and bowed down, even to the end. I
walked sorrowful all the day long; I have laboured in my groanings every
night. I will wash my bed, I will water my couch with my tears."

Oh, that I had died, Lord, rather than have offended so often and so
grievously against Thine infinite Majesty. Alas, by my detestable
wickedness I have insulted my most loving and merciful Saviour! Thy Blood,
Thy Divine Blood, hath flowed between earth and Heaven, and it was I who
shed it. Thy Feet, Thy Hands - it was I who pierced Them. My hands laid
open Thy Sacred Side; my hands placed upon Thine adorable Head a crown of
thorns. Be merciful unto me, O Lord, be merciful unto me, and forgive my
sins.

The thought of my malice fills me with dismay, and I hardly feel courage to
implore Thy mercy; nevertheless, "a contrite and humble heart, O God, Thou
wilt not despise." The very night of Thy Passion Peter denied Thee thrice.
Thou didst but cast on him a single glance; he went forth, he wept
bitterly, and his sin was forgiven him. The woman who was a sinner watered
Thy feet with her tears; and Thou saideth: "Many sins have been forgiven
her, because she hath loved much." Grant, O Jesus, that I may love Thee as
she did, and like her be forgiven.

Come to mine assistance, O holy Mary, and obtain for me this grace from thy
Divine Son. Amen.