Gilderoy Lockhart

Chris M

Jul 7, 2001, 12:30:18 PM7/7/01
I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of Secrets". I think
that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.

Terry Eden

Jul 7, 2001, 12:41:04 PM7/7/01
"Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of Secrets". I
think
> that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.

And so on to the inevitable casting thread!
Two submissions each - one for an actor who could play him now, one for a
fantasy actor (i.e. any actor dead or alive at any necessary age)

1. Tim Roth
2. Rik Mayal

Ok, so I have no imagination - you do better :-)

Terry
--
To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

Chris M

Jul 7, 2001, 12:54:29 PM7/7/01
I was thinking that Ed Begley Jr. would be good for the part - except for
the fact that he's too old and not British. He's still pretty funny though.

Terry Eden <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

Maya

Jul 7, 2001, 1:02:48 PM7/7/01
"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> "Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of Secrets". I
> think
> > that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.
>
> And so on to the inevitable casting thread!
> Two submissions each - one for an actor who could play him now, one for a
> fantasy actor (i.e. any actor dead or alive at any necessary age)
>
> 1. Tim Roth
> 2. Rik Mayal

Rik Mayall would be my choice, but since he's Peeves in the first film, I
doubt his charm will earn him the role of Lockhart in the
second.....besides, I'm sure he'll make a better Peeves. Hope he stays for
the role of Peeves in the other films.

Maya

Hail to the Sun God
He's a real fun God
Ra! Ra! Ra!

Alan

Jul 7, 2001, 1:39:56 PM7/7/01
In article <9i7e3c$hg44k$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, T.E...@deadspam.com
says...

Tim Curry!

Daibh

Alan

Jul 7, 2001, 1:41:33 PM7/7/01
In article <9i7evi$72tu$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,
un...@prodigy.net says...

> I was thinking that Ed Begley Jr. would be good for the part - except for
> the fact that he's too old and not British. He's still pretty funny though.

So... :^) After all, Vivian Leigh was not American yet, she managed with
the aid of a speech coach to film "Gone with the Wind."

Daibh

Chloe

Jul 7, 2001, 1:53:57 PM7/7/01
I think Gilderoy has to be dashing and sickening good-looking. Maybe a young
Robert Redford, with his blue eyes and blond hair and white flashing smile.
He has the wit to play Gilderoy. I know, I know. He's not the right age for
Gilderoy and he's not British. I was just thinking of his face as a model.
Think they'll use Hugh Grant? He's British with has boyish charm.

Chloe

"Alan" <dao...@nospambs.net> wrote in message

maiasaura

Jul 7, 2001, 3:08:39 PM7/7/01
Bruce Campbell would be funny as Lockheart! He has the movie-star profile for
it.

Terry Eden wrote:

--
Visit:
"The Dog Collector" at http://www.maiasaura.com

Another Karen

Jul 7, 2001, 5:44:18 PM7/7/01
"Margaret" <marg...@example.com> wrote in message

> "Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
> > And so on to the inevitable casting thread!
> > Two submissions each - one for an actor who could play him now, one for
> > fantasy actor (i.e. any actor dead or alive at any necessary age)
I'll apologise in advance, but in my imagination Gilderoy is the one
character who has to be portrayed with an American accent.
How about Bill Murray or Steve Martin. He's got to be flashy, perfect teeth,
tanned. A Liberace type.

Lynn

Jul 7, 2001, 7:09:19 PM7/7/01
>I think Gilderoy has to be dashing and sickening good-looking. Maybe a young
>Robert Redford, with his blue eyes and blond hair and white flashing smile.
>He has the wit to play Gilderoy. I know, I know. He's not the right age for
>Gilderoy and he's not British. I was just thinking of his face as a model.
>Think they'll use Hugh Grant? He's British with has boyish charm.
>
>Chloe

Yes, I definitely agree with the character assessment, but I have to stick to
my preference of Cary Elwes rather than Hugh Grant.

-- Lynn
"Ask people why they have deer heads on their walls and they tell you it's
because they're such beautiful animals. I think my wife is beautiful, but I
only have photographs of her on the wall."
-George Carlin

*Casey*

Jul 7, 2001, 10:07:05 PM7/7/01
I vote for Eric Idle.
Unless he's already a separate character in the first movie.
Casey

Frank Wustner

Jul 8, 2001, 12:19:19 AM7/8/01
> > "Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> > > I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of Secrets". I
> > > think that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.

> > And so on to the inevitable casting thread!
> > Two submissions each - one for an actor who could play him now, one for a
> > fantasy actor (i.e. any actor dead or alive at any necessary age)

> > 1. Tim Roth
> > 2. Rik Mayal

> > Ok, so I have no imagination - you do better :-)

> Tim Curry!

You *must* be kidding. Tim Curry is great at playing small, rodent-like
characters. Lockhart is a larger-than-life character, not at all Tim
Curry's forte. I *would* say that Tim Curry would make an excellent
Voldemort, though. The small, shifty, narrow-faced villain with a high,
squeeky voice. I'd bet that Tim Curry could do him in a heart-beat.

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/

|-----------------------------------|
|"I, too, believe in fate... |
|the fate a man makes for himself." |
|Lord Soth ("Time of the Twins") |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Sharkky

Jul 8, 2001, 12:35:22 AM7/8/01
I think Bill Murray of ten years ago could do a fantastic job of it. He's
got that goofy suave side to him. Now that he's fat and balding, though, I
doubt he could pull it off.

John

--

><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸ ><((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º>
John J. Wikman
ReefShark Aquariums
reefs...@reefshark.net
www.reefshark.net/index.htm

"Another Karen" <karen...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Chris M

Jul 8, 2001, 1:59:40 AM7/8/01
Tim Curry usually plays the bad guy. Don't you think that playing Lockheart
is a stretch for him?

Chris M

Jul 8, 2001, 2:03:05 AM7/8/01
That's an interesting idea. Gilderoy could have an American accent. I'm not
sure if J.K. Rowling would agree with you though.

Usagi-chan

Jul 8, 2001, 2:22:54 AM7/8/01
<snip>

I think Tim Curry is gonna have to be in at least one of the movies. he
kicks major butt!!! i love him as an actor. i could easily see him pulling
off Lockhart or maybe even Voldemort. now that we talking about characters
and their casting...heres my ideas for roles (nd im ignoring already casted
characters...this is just being up to a bit of late night silliness...)
Draco - Andrew Keagen (i got used to his "bad boy" cockiness in 10 things i
hate about you)
Dumbledore - Sean Connery
Mad-Eye Moody - Robin Williams (ROFL!)
Lupin - Harison Ford
Lockhart - Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt
Quirrill - Jim Carrey or Michael J. Fox
Sirus - the main guy from "Gladiator" i cant remember his name
Snape - Alan Rickman
Voldemort - Tim Curry

Chris M

Jul 8, 2001, 3:22:08 AM7/8/01
Don't you think that casting all those super-famous people will shift the
focus from the story onto the celebrities? For example, George Lucas would
never use someone like Jim Carey in one of his movies. I doubt someone with
a reputation like Jim Carey's could be true to a character.

Usagi-chan <Iron...@tuxedomask.com> wrote in message

Allen Bartley

Jul 8, 2001, 3:30:43 AM7/8/01
"Another Karen" <karen...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<9i7use$pdo$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

I am with you on this one.

Lauren

Jul 8, 2001, 5:35:51 AM7/8/01

"Lynn" <zoz...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> >I think Gilderoy has to be dashing and sickening good-looking. Maybe a
young
> >Robert Redford, with his blue eyes and blond hair and white flashing
smile.
> >He has the wit to play Gilderoy. I know, I know. He's not the right age
for
> >Gilderoy and he's not British. I was just thinking of his face as a
model.
> >Think they'll use Hugh Grant? He's British with has boyish charm.
> >
> >Chloe

In the UK press it says Hugh Grant 'let it slip' on a US chat show that he
*is* going to play GL.

Lauren

Kathrin Konjareck

Jul 8, 2001, 6:15:49 AM7/8/01

*Casey* schrieb:

> I vote for Eric Idle.

Ha! That's how I always pictured him. But by now, I think, Mr. Idle will be a
bit old for this role, don't you think - 20 Years ago - Yes - but now? I don't
really know what he looks like at the moment - haven't seen much of him
lately. . How old is this guy?

Kathrin

Lauren

Jul 8, 2001, 6:22:49 AM7/8/01

"Lauren" <ric...@the-third.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lynn" <zoz...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> > >I think Gilderoy has to be dashing and sickening good-looking. Maybe a
> young
> > >Robert Redford, with his blue eyes and blond hair and white flashing
> smile.

Don't you think that if it was possible to get a young Robert Redford, my
mother would have one ???

Lauren

Terry Eden

Jul 8, 2001, 7:46:52 AM7/8/01
"Frank Wustner" <see...@for.email.org> wrote in message

> Alan <dao...@nospambs.net> wrote:
>
> > Tim Curry!
>
> You *must* be kidding. Tim Curry is great at playing small, rodent-like
> characters.

Errr - Rocky Horror Picture Show? A young (eg in the fantasy cast) Tim
Curry would be excellent as GL.

He could even incorporate some of the songs!

Terry

--
Zen Creationism -
If a universe comes into existence and there is no

Terry Eden

Jul 8, 2001, 7:56:15 AM7/8/01
"Sharkky" <reefs...@reefshark.net> wrote in message

> I think Bill Murray of ten years ago could do a fantastic job of it. He's
> got that goofy suave side to him. Now that he's fat and balding, though,
> doubt he could pull it off.

But he could probably do Ludo Bagman!

Terry

--
To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

I block Off Topic posts.

Christopher Hortin

Jul 8, 2001, 8:40:45 AM7/8/01
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
[snip]

>I *would* say that Tim Curry would make an excellent
>Voldemort, though. The small, shifty, narrow-faced villain with a high,
>squeeky voice. I'd bet that Tim Curry could do him in a heart-beat.

"I'm just a sweet transvestite....from
Transexual...Transylvania-a-a-aha-ha!!!"

~Chris, the Icicle Child~ (off to do the Time Warp in a small town)
--
[ E-mail - icicl...@earthlink.net ]
[ ICQ# - 119645068 - iciclechild ]

Frank White

Jul 8, 2001, 8:48:11 AM7/8/01
In article <see-sig-AD8F09...@news.mindspring.com>,
see...@for.email.org says...

>Alan <dao...@nospambs.net> wrote:
>> T.E...@deadspam.com says...
>> > "Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote:

<snip>

>> Tim Curry!
>
>You *must* be kidding. Tim Curry is great at playing small, rodent-like
>characters. Lockhart is a larger-than-life character, not at all Tim
>Curry's forte. I *would* say that Tim Curry would make an excellent
>Voldemort, though. The small, shifty, narrow-faced villain with a high,
>squeeky voice. I'd bet that Tim Curry could do him in a heart-beat.

'small, rodent-like charaters'?

Is there more than one Tim Curry?

I cannot conceive of anyone describing the guy who played
Dr, Frankenfurter... who is not only larger than life, he's
larger than most rational people could imagine... and
pulled it off spectatularly as so limited.

(Although it must be pointed out that behind that
glittering smile, Lockhart IS small and rodent like.
He just hides it very, very well.)

On the other hand, T.C. as Lockhart... (pictures
Harry dashing into Lockhart's office, and seeing
him wearing a Merry Widow bustier and high heels.

Begins giggling hysterically.)

FW

Terry Eden

Jul 8, 2001, 9:07:57 AM7/8/01
"Frank White" <fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com> wrote in message

> On the other hand, T.C. as Lockhart... (pictures
> Harry dashing into Lockhart's office, and seeing
> him wearing a Merry Widow bustier and high heels.
>
> Begins giggling hysterically.)

(To the tune of "Sweet Transvestite" by Richard O'Brian)

(GL)
Don't get strung out by the way that I look
Don't judge a Wizard by his cloak,
I'm no good with a wand, by the light of day
But by night I'm one hell of a bloak!

I'm just a no good wizard (no good wizard)
From Hogwarts, Birmingham.

Let me show you my wand
and maybe, play around,
I can tell that you're all pretty spooky!
Or if you want something tragic
That isn't too magic
We could take in an old Nancy Stroufller book!

(Harry)
I'm glad you're not foul,
Could we use your owl?
We're both in a bit of a hurry.
We'll sign the release form,
Then go back to our dorm,
We don't want to be any worry.

(GL)
Well you got caught with a imp,
Don't be such a wimp,
Well kiddies, I will wake up,
By the light of my smile
Which shines for a mile,
I'll help when I've put on my make-up!

I'm just a no good wizard (no good wizard)
From Hogwarts, Birmingham.

Terry Eden

Ok ok - I'll try to think up some better lyrics when I'm not so tired.

Terry
--
To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

Sharkky

Jul 8, 2001, 10:19:47 AM7/8/01

> But he could probably do Ludo Bagman!

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Goodner

Jul 8, 2001, 12:00:36 PM7/8/01

Kathrin Konjareck <Kathrin....@t-online.de> wrote in message

Eric Idle is already playing Nearly Headless Nick, remember?

Chloe

Jul 8, 2001, 12:21:26 PM7/8/01
Perhaps, Lauren. I think he would have made a good Gilderoy. He's not my
type (Rickman is) but I think he'd be perfect if he was younger. I picture
Gilderoy as in his thirties. He has to be mature enough for all those mums
to be under his spell. (Not necessarily, though--heh heh)

Is the Hugh Grant thing a sure thing? Or a maybe?

Detention with Snape, again! Lynn, get a move on. We have to go, then.
Chloe

"Lauren" <ric...@the-third.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Chloe

Jul 8, 2001, 12:24:06 PM7/8/01
Terry! Brilliant! A+

You should publish this.

Chloe

"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

Chloe

Jul 8, 2001, 12:28:22 PM7/8/01
Yes, absolutely! Already, I when I watch, say, John Hurt's part, although I
like John Hurt it ruins Harry Potter for me. (Maybe not for you, but for
me.) The familiar face puts my focus on the star rather than on the story. I
don't like the distraction. Truthfully, I'd hoped, before the movie was
being put together, that they would use unknowns. After all, there are is
tons of magnificent talent out there waiting a chance to be on the big
screen.

I will love the movie, anyway, because I love everything that smacks of
Harry Potter. But, still . . .

Chloe

"Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Usagi-chan

Jul 8, 2001, 1:12:12 PM7/8/01
<snip>

Actually, now that I'm more awake, I could easily see Tim Curry playing
Voldemort...I mean he can play evil very well (for those of you who don't
know what I'm talking about...he played the Lord of Darkness in an awesome
fantasy movie called "Legend"...) and he kicked butt at it too...

Terry Eden

Jul 8, 2001, 1:22:50 PM7/8/01
"Chloe" <hedg...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Terry! Brilliant! A+

Why thank you! I'm working on a better version. Who's up for writing
"Harry Potter - The Musical?"

> You should publish this.

Sure, would you mind ringing up the copyright holders and seeing if they
mind ;-)

Lauren

Jul 8, 2001, 1:37:42 PM7/8/01
> "Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > Don't you think that casting all those super-famous people will shift
the
> > focus from the story onto the celebrities? For example, George Lucas
would
> > never use someone like Jim Carey in one of his movies. I doubt someone
> with
> > a reputation like Jim Carey's could be true to a character.

Ewen McGregor and Liam Neeson are more than famous over here - yet as they
can act very well the characters don't suffer.

All the British actors in HP are suberb character actors - except maybe
Rick Mayal, and the role can stand it !!

Lauren

Sue Slechta

Jul 8, 2001, 4:24:22 PM7/8/01

Don Goodner wrote:

> > Kathrin
> >

> Eric Idle is already playing Nearly Headless Nick, remember?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!

JOHN CLEESE is playing nearly headless nick!

I saw Eric Idle last year in his show "Eric Idle exploits Monty python"
He was hysterical, and still quite fit, but definitely too old for
Lockhart.

Hmmm, who do I see as Lockhart? Has anyone seen the british show " as
time goes by"? The guy who plays Alistair would be very good!

Chloe

Jul 8, 2001, 4:40:18 PM7/8/01
Terry, I'll design the costumes or set!

Hmm, yes, the copyright holders. Don't suppose that would be J.K.? I am
interested in that issue, as well.

"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

Chloe

Jul 8, 2001, 4:51:42 PM7/8/01

"Sue Slechta" <sle...@biology.utah.edu> wrote in message

Oh, yes! *He* looks the part. His name's Philip Bretherton. See him at
clicknetservices.com/pbretherton.

Terry Eden

Jul 8, 2001, 4:53:03 PM7/8/01

> Terry, I'll design the costumes or set!

Let's put on the show! Right here!
</Mickey-and-judy>

> Hmm, yes, the copyright holders. Don't suppose that would be J.K.? I am
> interested in that issue, as well.

Actullay, if it's parody/satire, copyright doesn't come into it. It's
usually polite to ask permission if you intend to make money off it - but
other than that, it's fair game.

Lynn

Jul 8, 2001, 7:43:38 PM7/8/01
>Perhaps, Lauren. I think he would have made a good Gilderoy. He's not my
>type (Rickman is) but I think he'd be perfect if he was younger. I picture
>Gilderoy as in his thirties. He has to be mature enough for all those mums
>to be under his spell. (Not necessarily, though--heh heh)
>
>Is the Hugh Grant thing a sure thing? Or a maybe?

Still a maybe. The Leaky Cauldron has a bit on it. It was supposedly on the
Rosie O'Donnell Show that he let it slip. But someone wrote to the LC and said
that they had the show on tape and re-watched it. They talked about Harry
Potter stuff but there was no mention of him doing a part in any of the movies.

>Detention with Snape, again! Lynn, get a move on. We have to go, then.
>Chloe

Just a sec! Gotta fix my hair and touch up my make up before we go!

-- Lynn
'A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket and said,
"Don't you know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" I said "I didn't know
there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too".'
-George Carlin

Frank Wustner

Jul 8, 2001, 10:22:51 PM7/8/01
fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote:
> see...@for.email.org says...

> >You *must* be kidding. Tim Curry is great at playing small, rodent-like
> >characters. Lockhart is a larger-than-life character, not at all Tim
> >Curry's forte. I *would* say that Tim Curry would make an excellent
> >Voldemort, though. The small, shifty, narrow-faced villain with a high,
> >squeeky voice. I'd bet that Tim Curry could do him in a heart-beat.

> 'small, rodent-like charaters'?
> Is there more than one Tim Curry?

I'm thinking of the man who played Mr. Body in "Clue", the hotel manager
in "Home Alone 2", and Farley Claymore in "The Shadow".

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/
http://members.tripod.com/~deadly_nightshade/

|-----------------------------------|
|"I, too, believe in fate... |
|the fate a man makes for himself." |
|Lord Soth ("Time of the Twins") |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Chris M

Jul 8, 2001, 10:34:01 PM7/8/01
But do you think Robert Redford can be funny?

Lynn <zoz...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> >I think Gilderoy has to be dashing and sickening good-looking. Maybe a
young
> >Robert Redford, with his blue eyes and blond hair and white flashing
smile.

> >He has the wit to play Gilderoy. I know, I know. He's not the right age
for
> >Gilderoy and he's not British. I was just thinking of his face as a
model.
> >Think they'll use Hugh Grant? He's British with has boyish charm.
> >
> >Chloe
>

> Yes, I definitely agree with the character assessment, but I have to stick
> my preference of Cary Elwes rather than Hugh Grant.
>
> -- Lynn
> "Ask people why they have deer heads on their walls and they tell you it's
> because they're such beautiful animals. I think my wife is beautiful, but
> only have photographs of her on the wall."
> -George Carlin

Dewman

Jul 8, 2001, 11:13:09 PM7/8/01
I know its all "English actors and actresses" but,

Harry Potter: The Kid from AI and 6th sense.
Hagrid, same as in the upcoming movie
The bad guy: Michael Richterman
The Dursleys: The bad guy from Dirty work, and that lawyer from the cbs
series for Mr. Dursley, and Bette Midler for MRs. Dursley.

" I Rule" -Lester Burnham

"Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of Secrets". I
think
> that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.

Purplequeen72

Jul 9, 2001, 12:15:56 AM7/9/01
Hi- Just found this group. I think they've done a great casting job for the
first movie(the boy who plays HP is absolutely adorable,and Alan Rickman as
Snape, perfect), Here's an idea.. What about Julian Sands from ("Warlock"and
Arachnaphobia to name a few) as Gilderoy? Or maybe Daniel Day Lewis. Just a
thought :-).

liselle

Jul 9, 2001, 12:24:11 AM7/9/01

> "Frank Wustner" <see...@for.email.org> wrote in message
> > Alan <dao...@nospambs.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Tim Curry!
> >
> > You *must* be kidding. Tim Curry is great at playing small, rodent-like
> > characters.
>
> Errr - Rocky Horror Picture Show? A young (eg in the fantasy cast) Tim
> Curry would be excellent as GL.
>
> He could even incorporate some of the songs!

i missed the bit where lockhart was a cross-dresser....

but if we are going to go with that theme, what about guy pearce..

my personal favourite for the part, however, would be pearce brosnan

velvet ;)

liselle

Jul 9, 2001, 12:25:59 AM7/9/01

"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

so will you be doing the timewarp for GoF as well?

i think it would fit in well there :)

velvet ;)

liselle

Jul 9, 2001, 12:34:09 AM7/9/01

"Sue Slechta" <sle...@biology.utah.edu> wrote in message

> Don Goodner wrote:
> >

> > > Kathrin
> > >

> > Eric Idle is already playing Nearly Headless Nick, remember?
>

> No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!
>
> JOHN CLEESE is playing nearly headless nick!
>
> I saw Eric Idle last year in his show "Eric Idle exploits Monty python"
> He was hysterical, and still quite fit, but definitely too old for
> Lockhart.

i most recently saw eric idle in 102 dalmations..

im sure if anyone is hugley intreged to see what he looks like nowadays
there would be pictures on the web somewhere..

velvet ;)

liselle

Jul 9, 2001, 12:36:05 AM7/9/01

"Dewman" <dew...@mn.rr.com> wrote in message

> I know its all "English actors and actresses" but,
>
> Harry Potter: The Kid from AI and 6th sense.

haley joel osmond. to me he has gone a bit overkill, and i wouldnt
particularly want to watch a movie with him in it, just for a change (but
yes.. he is a pretty good actor)

Usagi-chan

Jul 9, 2001, 1:10:51 AM7/9/01
<snip>

so will you be doing the timewarp for GoF as well?

i think it would fit in well there :)

velvet ;)

ROFL!!!...although i think the Time Warp would be more appropriate for
PoA...i mean Hermoine does go back in time...LOL...

Chloe

Jul 9, 2001, 2:56:51 AM7/9/01
In my opinion, Haley Joel Osment is the best child actor I've ever seen.
It's his director, Mr. Spielberg, who's responsible for the overkill and
whose movies all exploit people's emotions. It's easy to create a
hanky-wringing tear jerker that grabs your heart before you realize it's a
manipulative piece of blubber. I don't have the greatest faith (but a lot of
hope) in Chris Columbus but breathed a gigantic sigh of relief that Harry
Potter isn't going to be made into pap by Spielberg. Chris is supposed to be
from the flabby Spielberg genre but my trembling fingers are crossed.

Already, one scene from the trailer very much bothers me. The irony of
Hermione's statement is obvious when she says something on the order of: "
I'm going to bed before either of you come up with a plan that will get us
killed. Or worse, expelled!" It's absolutely unnecessary for Ron to say "She
needs to sort out her priorities." (And, it's not from the book.) In fact,
it numbs the humor of J.K.'s wit and dumbs down the scene, as though we are
too thick to get the irony of Hermione outrageous statement the first time.
That is my main dislike of American films. Either Hollywood (and Burbank)
directors have little faith in American intelligence (hmm) or they have
little intelligence themselves. I think Hollywood's chief reason for making
a movie is not to create something sensitive and artistic, but simply to
make lots of big bucks by dishing out pap to the public.

Late for Potions,
Chloe

"liselle" <margravi...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lauren

Jul 9, 2001, 6:01:01 AM7/9/01
Absolutely - watch Barefoot in the Park !!

Lauren

"Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Lauren

Jul 9, 2001, 6:01:46 AM7/9/01

"Purplequeen72" <purple...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ooooh Julian Sands !!!!! He can toss his fringe !

Lauren

Maya

Jul 9, 2001, 2:11:53 PM7/9/01

> Yes, I definitely agree with the character assessment, but I have to stick
> my preference of Cary Elwes rather than Hugh Grant.

Cary Elwes! Yes, I hadn't thought of him! (ahhhhhh!)

Maya

Hail to the Sun God
He's a real fun God
Ra! Ra! Ra!

liselle

Jul 10, 2001, 3:58:51 AM7/10/01

"Usagi-chan" <Iron...@tuxedomask.com> wrote in message

whooops... thats the one i meant.. teh one with the hippo griff..

actually.. i have a question about that... i thought that a hippogriff had
features of a horse (hind legs or something) and twould make sense to me as
hippo is the (ancient??) greek word for horse..

anyone have any ideas?

velvet ;)

liselle

Jul 10, 2001, 4:02:06 AM7/10/01

"Lauren" <ric...@the-third.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
actually.. if he wasnt already cast rickman could quite possibly make a
purdy good gilderoy.. (im thinking the i-love-me part he played in robin
hood.. of course it prolly wouldnt do for gilderoy to yell out in the middle
of DADA 'ill tear your heart out with a spoon..' but still... mebe when he
has the problems with the pixies??)

velvet ;)

Fan

Jul 10, 2001, 5:36:11 AM7/10/01
"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> "Chris M" <un...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Film "The Chamber of
Secrets". I
> think
> > that Gilderoy Lockheart will be very funny.
>
> And so on to the inevitable casting thread!
> Two submissions each - one for an actor who could play him now, one
for a
> fantasy actor (i.e. any actor dead or alive at any necessary age)
>
> 1. Tim Roth
> 2. Rik Mayal
>
> Ok, so I have no imagination - you do better :-)

> Terry
> --
> To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

Funny, I have a very visual image of what I think Gilderoy Lockheart
looks like in my head but can think of no actors to equate that image
with. He should definitely be handsome, flashy, and cocky with long
golden locks - to say the least. But beyond that I couldn't name a
good actor to play him, right now, if my life depended on it. I also
think the actor who is offered the part will need to have a good sense
of comical timing to pull off the part as there is a lot of subtle
comical humor in his part. Humor that could be blown by the wrong
showboat actor.

Also, I don't know why, but for some odd reason when I envisioned the
voice of Gilderoy what popped into my head was the voice of late Phil
Hartman doing Troy McClure from the Fox's "The Simpsons." "Hello,
I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such movies as 'Honey,
Don't Point That At Me!' and "Don't bother watering the daisies, I'll
be
pushing them up soon enough!" or "Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may know
me
from such documentaries as "Marriage, we need it like another hole in
the head.", and "The celebrity guide to avoiding divorce." Maybe
it's because, IMHO, Troy McClure was nearly as vain as Gilderoy
Lockheart. Heheh.

--
Cheers!

-Matt- :-)

Toasts: "To Harry Potter -- the boy who lived!" - Harry Potter and the
Sorcerer's Stone

Terry Eden

Jul 10, 2001, 6:29:25 AM7/10/01
"Fan" <matt...@NOSPAM-home.com> wrote in message

> Funny, I have a very visual image of what I think Gilderoy Lockheart
> looks like in my head but can think of no actors to equate that image

I've got it!!! The bowler in The Simpsons - the one Marge almost has an
affair with!

> Also, I don't know why, but for some odd reason when I envisioned the
> voice of Gilderoy what popped into my head was the voice of late Phil
> Hartman doing Troy McClure from the Fox's "The Simpsons." "Hello,

Yes!!!

I'll get on to ILM and see if they can digitally recreate his voice for the
film!

Terry

--
To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

Lauren

Jul 10, 2001, 8:14:24 AM7/10/01

"Maya" <may...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Yes, I definitely agree with the character assessment, but I have to
stick
> > my preference of Cary Elwes rather than Hugh Grant.
>

> Cary Elwes! Yes, I hadn't thought of him! (ahhhhhh!)

OT : How do you pronounce Elwes ???? Always wondered.

Lauren

Marina

Jul 10, 2001, 10:12:35 AM7/10/01
"Fan" <matt...@NOSPAM-home.com> wrote in message news:<f0A27.476442$oc7.77...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...
> Funny, I have a very visual image of what I think Gilderoy Lockheart
> looks like in my head but can think of no actors to equate that image
> with. He should definitely be handsome, flashy, and cocky with long
> golden locks - to say the least.

Why, wouldn't then Fabio be the perfect type? <ducks her head and
tries to avoid the rotten tomatoes thrown at her> Just kidding, just
*kidding*! ;)

Seriously, I could very well picture someone of the likes of Tony
Curtis playing that part to perfection. Of course, a more _blonde_
version of Tony, and considerably younger, but exactly that type,
nevertheless. :)

Richard Eney

Jul 10, 2001, 1:57:39 PM7/10/01
In article <8cadebaf.01071...@posting.google.com>,

Marina <little...@tiscalinet.de> wrote:
>"Fan" <matt...@NOSPAM-home.com> wrote in message news:<f0A27.476442$oc7.77...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...
>> Funny, I have a very visual image of what I think Gilderoy Lockheart
>> looks like in my head but can think of no actors to equate that image
>> with. He should definitely be handsome, flashy, and cocky with long
>> golden locks - to say the least.
>
>Why, wouldn't then Fabio be the perfect type? <ducks her head and
>tries to avoid the rotten tomatoes thrown at her> Just kidding, just
>*kidding*! ;)

I thought of Fabio too, but as far as I know, he doesn't act.
There's an actor I can't think of the name of - he looks a lot like
Charlton Heston (& has a cleft chin), but has a talent for comedy too.
Michael somebody? I think he's the son of another famous actor.

=Tamar "can't remember names"

Lynn

Jul 10, 2001, 5:15:14 PM7/10/01
>actually.. i have a question about that... i thought that a hippogriff had
>features of a horse (hind legs or something) and twould make sense to me as
>hippo is the (ancient??) greek word for horse..
>
>anyone have any ideas?

Uh, yeah, they are, aren't they? From PoA: "Trotting toward them were a dozen
of the most bizarre creatures Harry
had ever seen. They had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but
the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with
cruel, steel-colored beaks and large, brilliantly, orange eyes."

-- Lynn
"I was thinking that women should put pictures of missing husbands on beer
cans."
-Steven Wright

Lynn

Jul 10, 2001, 5:11:18 PM7/10/01
>> > Yes, I definitely agree with the character assessment, but I have to
>stick
>> > my preference of Cary Elwes rather than Hugh Grant.
>>
>> Cary Elwes! Yes, I hadn't thought of him! (ahhhhhh!)
>
>OT : How do you pronounce Elwes ???? Always wondered.

I'm pretty sure it's "el-ways", with the stress on the first syllable.

-- Lynn
"What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?"
-Steven Wright

liselle

Jul 11, 2001, 3:10:14 AM7/11/01

> >actually.. i have a question about that... i thought that a hippogriff
had
> >features of a horse (hind legs or something) and twould make sense to me
as
> >hippo is the (ancient??) greek word for horse..
> >
> >anyone have any ideas?
>
> Uh, yeah, they are, aren't they? From PoA: "Trotting toward them were a
dozen
> of the most bizarre creatures Harry
> had ever seen. They had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but
> the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with
> cruel, steel-colored beaks and large, brilliantly, orange eyes."

sorry.. i am seriously confusing my fiction...

ignore me :)

velvet ;)

Richard Eney

Jul 11, 2001, 3:33:52 AM7/11/01
In article <i76nktc1lkanfteb0...@4ax.com>,
Margaret <marg...@example.com> wrote:

>dic...@Radix.Net (Richard Eney) wrote:
>
>> There's an actor I can't think of the name of - he looks a lot like
>> Charlton Heston (& has a cleft chin), but has a talent for comedy too.
>> Michael somebody? I think he's the son of another famous actor.
>
>Michael Douglas, possibly?

That's it! I think Michael Douglas would be a perfect Lockhart.
His father Kirk Douglas could have done it years ago, too.

=Tamar

Dottie

Jul 11, 2001, 11:13:56 PM7/11/01

> dic...@Radix.Net (Richard Eney) wrote:
>
> > That's it! I think Michael Douglas would be a perfect Lockhart.
> > His father Kirk Douglas could have done it years ago, too.
>
> I do like MD's work -- or did in Big Trouble In Little
> China, and Executive Decision, the only ones I think
> I've seen...no, there were two 'Indiana Jones'-type
> films too, the first better than the second. BTILC is
> definitely a comedy and he played the good-hearted
> redneck truckie very well, I thought. Lockhart is
> really a criminal psychopath, though. Do you think MD
> would be up to that?

I think you've confused Kurt Russell with Michael Douglas. It was Kurt
Russell in both BTILC and ED. Here's some of his Movies...Characters:
Soldier (1998) .... Sergeant Todd
Breakdown (1997) .... Jeff Taylor
Escape from L.A. (1996) .... Snake Plissken
Executive Decision (1996) .... David Grant
Stargate (1994) .... Colonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil
Tombstone (1993) .... Wyatt Earp
Captain Ron (1992) .... Captain Ron
Backdraft (1991) .... Stephen McCaffrey
Tango & Cash (1989) .... Gabriel Cash
Winter People (1989) .... Wayland Jackson
Tequila Sunrise (1988) .... Nick Frescia
Overboard (1987) .... Dean Proffitt
Big Trouble In Little China (1986) .... Jack Burton
Swing Shift (1984) .... Lucky
Silkwood (1983) .... Drew Stephens
The Thing (1982) .... MacReady
Escape from New York (1981) .... Snake Plissken

And now thinking about it, I could see Kurt Russell as GL as long as he can
learn the accent (we wouldn't want a repeat of Kevin Costner's Robin
Hood!)....

Dottie

Jul 11, 2001, 11:13:56 PM7/11/01

"Margaret" <marg...@example.com> wrote in message
> dic...@Radix.Net (Richard Eney) wrote:
>
> > That's it! I think Michael Douglas would be a perfect Lockhart.
> > His father Kirk Douglas could have done it years ago, too.
>
> I do like MD's work -- or did in Big Trouble In Little
> China, and Executive Decision, the only ones I think
> I've seen...no, there were two 'Indiana Jones'-type
> films too, the first better than the second. BTILC is
> definitely a comedy and he played the good-hearted
> redneck truckie very well, I thought. Lockhart is
> really a criminal psychopath, though. Do you think MD
> would be up to that?

I think you've confused Kurt Russell with Michael Douglas. It was Kurt

Russell in BTILC and ED. Here are some of his other movies...characters:

Soldier (1998) .... Sergeant Todd
Breakdown (1997) .... Jeff Taylor
Escape from L.A. (1996) .... Snake Plissken
Executive Decision (1996) .... David Grant
Stargate (1994) .... Colonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil
Tombstone (1993) .... Wyatt Earp
Captain Ron (1992) .... Captain Ron
Backdraft (1991) .... Stephen McCaffrey
Tango & Cash (1989) .... Gabriel Cash
Winter People (1989) .... Wayland Jackson
Tequila Sunrise (1988) .... Nick Frescia
Overboard (1987) .... Dean Proffitt
Big Trouble In Little China (1986) .... Jack Burton
Swing Shift (1984) .... Lucky
Silkwood (1983) .... Drew Stephens
The Thing (1982) .... MacReady
Escape from New York (1981) .... Snake Plissken

And now that I'm thinking about it, I can see Kurt Russell as GL as long as
he can learn an accent (we wouldn't want another Kevin Costner's Robin
Hood!)...

Dottie

Jul 11, 2001, 11:27:25 PM7/11/01
Sorry for the double post -- first time I sent I got a notice that it didn't
post so I resent. Must learn patience....

Dottie

Bobby Craven

Jul 11, 2001, 11:29:59 PM7/11/01

That was Kurt Russell in "Big Trouble in Little China" and "Executive
Decision".
Margaret wrote:

> dic...@Radix.Net (Richard Eney) wrote:
>
> > That's it! I think Michael Douglas would be a perfect Lockhart.
> > His father Kirk Douglas could have done it years ago, too.

cybutton

Jul 13, 2001, 8:59:05 PM7/13/01

"Richard Eney" <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote in message

Hi folks, I'm a longtime lurker and a 1st time poster. At first I thought
that Hugh Grant would be good, but my husband suggested an even better
idea...Greg Kinnear. The character he did in the remake of "Sabrina" is a
great example of the self-absorbed pretty-boy and he has the toothy smile
down pat!

Ta,

Yuri

Dottie

Jul 14, 2001, 8:03:56 AM7/14/01

> "Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote:

(snip)

> That's hysterical. So who played in (I think it was)
> Jewel of the Nile, then? Douglas?

Absolutely correct, and he did a JotN sequel but can't think of the name
right now... I'm sure someone will help us....

> > he can learn an accent (we wouldn't want another Kevin Costner's Robin
> > Hood!)...
>

> I'm actually coming to appreciate Costner more.

(snip)

I'm not knocking KC, only the non-accent. Did you catch the reference to
KC's Robin Hood in Mel Brook's "Men in Tights"? Come to think of it, the
fella who played RH in MiT could make a pretty decent GL, or even possibly
Professor Lupin.....

Minstrel

Jul 14, 2001, 9:04:50 AM7/14/01

"Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Margaret" <marg...@example.com> wrote in message
> > "Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > That's hysterical. So who played in (I think it was)
> > Jewel of the Nile, then? Douglas?
>
> Absolutely correct, and he did a JotN sequel but can't think of the name
> right now... I'm sure someone will help us....

_Romancing the Stone_ was the first movie; _Jewel of the Nile_ was the
sequel.

I haven't seen Michael Douglas do comedy lately, although he does have a
knack for it. He looks a little too rough around the edges for my idea of
Lockhart. Then again, it's amazing what they can do with make-up nowadays.

Mins

Carlene

Jul 14, 2001, 2:33:53 PM7/14/01

"Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote in message

(snip)

> > That's hysterical. So who played in (I think it was)
> > Jewel of the Nile, then? Douglas?
>
> Absolutely correct, and he did a JotN sequel but can't think of the name
> right now... I'm sure someone will help us....

actually, Jewel of the Nile was the sequel... the first was 'Romancing the
Stone'

Dottie

Jul 14, 2001, 10:50:17 PM7/14/01

> "Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you catch the reference to
> > KC's Robin Hood in Mel Brook's "Men in Tights"?
>
> I've not seen that -- is it any good? I find Brooks's
> stuff very uneven, so I'm always a bit leery.

Here's a review I just found of MiT --
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/r/robin_tights.html

> >Come to think of it, the
> > fella who played RH in MiT could make a pretty decent GL, or even
possibly
> > Professor Lupin.....
>

> That was Cary Elwes, wasn't it?

Yes, you're correct, and interestingly the review describes MiT as a parody
KC's Robin Hood. Also mentions Alan Rickman....

Dottie

Jul 14, 2001, 10:54:29 PM7/14/01

"Carlene" <rago...@spam.home.com> wrote in message

> "Dottie" <das...@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> (snip) , and he did a JotN sequel but can't think of the name

> > right now... I'm sure someone will help us....

> actually, Jewel of the Nile was the sequel... the first was 'Romancing the
> Stone'

That's right! Thanks....