Seven Degrees of Seperation

1 view

Richie

May 28, 2003, 6:37:50 AM5/28/03
Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation. That
means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in showbiz,
and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps or
less. Cool innit?

Right. I'll go first: Neve Campbell

Unknown

May 28, 2003, 7:13:02 AM5/28/03
"Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> thought (s)he was saying something
useful when (s)he said:

You mean like this?

Neve Campbell is in Lion King II: Simba's Pride (voice)

Leads to

Matthew Broderick who is in Lion King II: Simba's Pride (voice) and in
Inspector Gadget

Leads to

Michelle Trachtenberg who is in Inspector Gadget and in Harriet the
Spy

Leads to

Gregory Smith who is in Harriet the Spy and in The Patriot (and in
Everwood - which happens to be one of my favorite shows)

Leads to

Jason Isaacs who is in The Patriot and in Harry Potter and the Chamber
of Secrets (as Lucius Malfoy).

OK - give it a try with - I wanted to say Russell Crowe; but that's
too easy - errrr.... Tom Cruise

~~~~~~~~~~~
LatH123

"Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"
- Lucius Malfoy.

Carmen

May 28, 2003, 8:21:18 AM5/28/03

<LatH123> wrote in message news:P5fUPulOT6nuHk...@4ax.com...

AARRGH -- Why did you guys start this? I can't resist these darn things,
and then they haunt me until I figure them out. Oy, my brain hurts.

Anyway... Tom Cruise to HP

Tom Cruise was in "A Few Good Men" with Kevin Bacon (HAD to put him in
here!)
Kevin Bacon was in "JFK" with Kevin Costner
Kevin Costner was in "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves" with Alan Rickman...
pardon me while I drool a little bit... ok, I'm done
Alan Rickman is (duh) Snape in HP

Ta Dah!

Carmen

Now, here's a harder one... Bugs Bunny to HP!

Colin Jackson

May 28, 2003, 8:24:07 AM5/28/03

"Carmen" <car...@www.mybfe.com> wrote in message

Warner Bros ;0)

Colin Jackson

Mark Townsend

May 28, 2003, 8:31:06 AM5/28/03
> Now, here's a harder one... Bugs Bunny to HP!

Drill Sergeant! Too easy Drill Sergeant!!

Bugs Bunny was in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' with Bob Hoskins.

Bob Hoskins was in David Copperfield with Dame Maggie Smith AND Daniel
Radcliffe!!

How about Vin Diesel and Harry Potter?

Mark

--
"The Marauder's Map!" Harry yelped happily.
"Guess Dumbledore thought you'd need it next year," Sirius said happily.

Ed Brims

May 28, 2003, 9:08:35 AM5/28/03
LatH123 wrote:
> "Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> thought (s)he was saying something
> useful when (s)he said:
>
>> Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of
>> Seperation. That
>> means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
>> showbiz,
>> and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps
>> or
>> less. Cool innit?
>>

> OK - give it a try with - I wanted to say Russell Crowe; but that's
> too easy - errrr.... Tom Cruise

Easy! Tom Cruise was (briefly) in Goldmember as himself.
Verne Troyer was Mini-Me in Goldmember, and he was Griphook in the
Philosopher's Stone.

Yay.

Karen Savage

May 28, 2003, 9:39:11 AM5/28/03

"Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > Now, here's a harder one... Bugs Bunny to HP!
>
> Drill Sergeant! Too easy Drill Sergeant!!
>
> Bugs Bunny was in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' with Bob Hoskins.
>
> Bob Hoskins was in David Copperfield with Dame Maggie Smith AND Daniel
> Radcliffe!!
>
> How about Vin Diesel and Harry Potter?
>
> Mark

I always thought it was SIX degrees of separation? Ah well...

Anyway... Vin Diesel was in the Fast and the Furious with Paul Walker, who
was in Pleasantville with Reese Witherspoon, who was in the Importance of
Being Earnest with Judi Dench, who was in Tea with Mussolini with... Maggie
Smith!

Ok... how about Audrey Hepburn to Harry Potter?

Karen S.

Unknown

May 28, 2003, 10:21:19 AM5/28/03
"Karen Savage" <krut...@copper.net> thought (s)he was saying

something useful when (s)he said:

Audrey Hapburn was in Always with John Goodman

John Goodman was in Monsters' Inc with Bonnie Hunt (voices both)

Bonnie Hunt was in Jumanjii with Kirsten Dunst

Kirsten Dunst was in Small Soldiers with Gregory Smith (as I mentioned
before - I love Everwood; I could also have gone for Interview with
the Vampire (awesome movie) and Tom Cruise here as Tom Cruise has been
answered before here)

Gregory Smith was - as I said before - in The Patriot with Jason
Isaacs.

Now... how about.... err..... combining Harry Potter and the Olsen
twins?

Carmen

May 28, 2003, 11:06:44 AM5/28/03

<LatH123> wrote in message news:68TUPpRQDqREpJUnD9=w9TP...@4ax.com...

STOP STOP STOP!
I can't stop! NO!!!....Must.....resist....challenge...must...stop...

Is there a Six Degrees Anonymous? A Six Degrees 12-step program?

Oh, crud, I give in. Here I go again...

Olsen Twins were in "It Takes Two" with Kirstie Alley
Kirstie Alley was in "Cheers" with Ted Danson (tv)
Ted Danson was in "Saving Private Ryan" with Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks (voice) was "Woody" in Toy Story with Tim Allen (voice)
Tim Allen was in "Galaxy Quest" with Alan Rickman.

Phew!

How about Roseanne and HP?

Carmen,
who really should be doing laundry right about now

Shadow

May 28, 2003, 11:32:33 AM5/28/03

"Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.

you were wrong.

Rebecca Webb

May 28, 2003, 2:06:28 PM5/28/03
In article <bb2j2b$53u57$1...@ID-183675.news.dfncis.de>, "Carmen"
<car...@www.mybfe.com> wrote:

> How about Roseanne and HP?

James LeGros guested on ROSEANNE as the facist amusement park employee who
hired David.

Catherine Keener appeared with LeGros in BOYS.

Brad Pitt appeared with Keener in JOHNNY SUEDE.

Anthony Hopkins appeared with Pitt in MEET JOE BLACK.

Hopkins appeared with Jodie Foster in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

Foster appeared with Tom Felton in ANNA AND THE KING.

Felton plays Draco Malfoy in HP.

RW, the Slytherin indie fan.

--
If you can't take the heat, get out of the cauldron.

http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SmallestSlytherin

QuickDraw

May 28, 2003, 12:33:19 PM5/28/03

> Right. I'll go first: Neve Campbell

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html

enough said...

Jason isaacs was in burn your phone with alan cumming
alan cumming was in investigating sex with neve campbell

eggplant107

May 28, 2003, 1:13:31 PM5/28/03
How about Jackie Gleason and Harry Potter?
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Give up?

Well..

Jackie Gleason was in "the Hustler with George C Scot
George C Scot was In Dr. Strangelove with Keenan Wynn
Keenan Wynn was in Orca (one of the worse movies ever made)
with Richard Harris
and Richard Harris was in Harry Potter

Lauren

May 28, 2003, 4:35:09 PM5/28/03
"Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

How about if we call it the Seven Degrees of Snaperation ?

Lauren

Lauren

May 28, 2003, 4:38:34 PM5/28/03
> OK - give it a try with - I wanted to say Russell Crowe; but that's
> too easy - errrr.... Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise was in Nicole Kidman... I mean was in lots of films with Nicole
Kidman....

NK was in Moulin Rouge with Ewan McGregor (who should have been in PoA...,
no, no good).

EMcG was in Phantom Menace with Warwick Davis !

Lauren

Shawn St.Clair

May 28, 2003, 5:33:57 PM5/28/03
in article 3ed51e93$0$10624$cc9e...@news.dial.pipex.com, Lauren at
richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com on 05/28/03 3:38 PM stood on the
soapbox to say:

Naughty, naughty Freudian slip!! ;-)

--
Shawn St.Clair
Perfection is subjective.

theGreyLady

May 28, 2003, 7:33:05 PM5/28/03

"Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation. That
> means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
showbiz,
> and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps or
> less. Cool innit?

ok how about sarah michelle geller?

--
theGreyLady
-----------

Lauren

May 28, 2003, 7:35:47 PM5/28/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.
That
> > means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
> showbiz,
> > and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps or
> > less. Cool innit?
>
> ok how about sarah michelle geller?

She was in Scooby Doo - with Rowan Atkinson, who was in The Tall Guy with
Emma Thompson, who was in loads of things with Kenneth Branagh.....

Vandevere

May 28, 2003, 9:23:48 PM5/28/03
"Carmen" <car...@www.mybfe.com> wrote in message news:<bb2j2b$53u57$1...@ID-183675.news.dfncis.de>...

John Goodman was in "Fallen" with Denzel Washington.
Denzel Washington was in "Much Ado about Nothing" with Kenneth Brannagh
Kenneth Brannagh was in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

How about Lance LeGault?

Vandevere

Rebecca Webb

May 29, 2003, 11:27:39 AM5/29/03
How about Catherine Johnson?

Or Dragon Friend?

Or Troels or Tennant?

Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
else goes first.

RW

Grand Poobah

May 29, 2003, 9:31:30 AM5/29/03

> How about Lance LeGault?
>
> Vandevere

Oh, that has *got* to have an A-Team or Battlestar Galactica link
somewhere!!!

GP

Lauren

May 29, 2003, 10:00:29 AM5/29/03
"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

Ok - I'll go !

My daughter goes to school with Bonnie Wright ! Hee he !

Lauren

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 10:05:58 AM5/29/03
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote in news:webbrl-2905030827390001
@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu:

> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

Uhm, that'll be pretty difficoult if we follow the original rules of the
Bacon game. I've never been in any movies, so I wouldn't qualify in any
way. However, if we include people I've met, then I guess my shortest route
would go through football players. I've met Ole Gunnar Solskjær, who plays
in Manchester United with David Beckham, who were in Comic Relief's Say
Pants to Poverty with Daniel Radcliffe.

--
Trond Michelsen

Grand Poobah

May 29, 2003, 10:15:15 AM5/29/03
"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.
>
> RW

<wails> I *can't* do it!!!! How do you do these things? Is there an easy
way?

Lance LeGault - it has to be the A-Team!!!

GP

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 10:16:25 AM5/29/03
"Grand Poobah" <do...@rainbowsparkle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> <wails> I *can't* do it!!!! How do you do these things? Is there an
> easy way?

Of course it is :)

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html

Well, except that you have to manually link yourself with someone that are
registered in IMDb first. Any celebrity, even politicians, will usually do.

--
Trond Michelsen

Dragon Friend

May 29, 2003, 10:21:50 AM5/29/03
"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.
>
> RW

OK I will go but I can't think of one with the more than a few jumps right
now.... be warned I have a precise link in mind and the first to get it can
have a jug of butterbeer ;-)

Julie Andrews to Harry Potter

Dragon Friend
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other fellow." ~~
Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the dragons of our lives

Grand Poobah

May 29, 2003, 10:29:21 AM5/29/03

"Trond Michelsen" <trondmm...@crusaders.no> wrote in message

Yaaay - thank you, and I don't care if it is cheating!

Lance LeGault was in Motal Kombat:Annihilation with Reiner Schone, who was
in Montana with Robbie Coltrane, who was in CoS.

Wahaay!

GP

Dragon Friend

May 29, 2003, 10:29:10 AM5/29/03
"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.
>
> RW

If you mean using ourselves then the only way I could do that is to use my
surname and I am not going to give that but I can give you the clue and see
what links you come up with so here goes:

Harold and Maude to Harry Potter

Dragon Friend [Who realises some have the advantage of knowing her real name
on the group]

PaulB

May 29, 2003, 10:59:10 AM5/29/03
Rebecca Webb wrote:
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
> someone else goes first.

I'll have a go.

Five years doing the PA for Roy Harper on tour.
Roy starred in the 1975 movie 'Made'
Written by Howard Barker
Who also wrote 'Cows'
Which starred Michael Gambon (the new Dumbledor)

Tada!
Paul

Andy Platt

May 29, 2003, 11:09:54 AM5/29/03
"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote:

> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

The only one I can find right now for me relies on allowing TV, then it's:

Me who was at school with:
Phillippa Forrester who appeared in 2000 Today with:
Lenny Henry who was in Comic Relief Short Pants with Daniel Radcliffe.

I'll keep thinking if I can get to someone who's been in a movie and get it
that way.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Ed Brims

May 29, 2003, 11:18:59 AM5/29/03
Dragon Friend <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
>> How about Catherine Johnson?
>>
>> Or Dragon Friend?
>>
>> Or Troels or Tennant?
>>
>> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
>> someone else goes first.
>>

> If you mean using ourselves then the only way I could do that is to
> use my surname and I am not going to give that but I can give you the
> clue and see what links you come up with so here goes:
>
> Harold and Maude to Harry Potter

Ooh! Ooh! I've got it! I put "Sheena" and "Max von Sydow" into Google, which
got me your surname quite quickly. So, assuming you're related to ***** who
had something to do with Harold and Maude, and he got you a walk-on part in
there, then we're away:

Sheena was in Harold and Maude with Eric Christmas
Eric Christmas was in Ed and His Dead Mother with Miriam Margolyes, who
plays Prof Sprout.

All quite fun - I think I could really get into stalking people like this!
Sorry if you feel infringed and violated, but you did suggest it first!

Right. Well, I've never been in a film, but I did appear briefly in the
background of one playground shot in a 1992 TV drama called Underbelly.
Someone called David Hayman (sadly spelt differently from the Harry Potter
producer) was also in Underbelly, apparently.
And then David Hayman was in The Tailor of Panama with Daniel Radcliffe!

Wow. I feel important.

Dragon Friend

May 29, 2003, 11:26:25 AM5/29/03
"Ed Brims" <edward...@st-johns.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Dragon Friend <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> >> How about Catherine Johnson?
> >>
> >> Or Dragon Friend?
> >>
> >> Or Troels or Tennant?
> >>
> >> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
> >> someone else goes first.
> >>

> > If you mean using ourselves then the only way I could do that is to
> > use my surname and I am not going to give that but I can give you the
> > clue and see what links you come up with so here goes:
> >
> > Harold and Maude to Harry Potter
>

> Ooh! Ooh! I've got it! I put "Sheena" and "Max von Sydow" into Google,
which
> got me your surname quite quickly. So, assuming you're related to *****
who
> had something to do with Harold and Maude, and he got you a walk-on part
in
> there, then we're away:

No I am not related and I didn't have a walk in part as I said the only way
I could do it was to use my surname.... LOL Actually there are at least 3
ways to link Max von Sydow to the Harry Potter films :-)

> Sheena was in Harold and Maude with Eric Christmas
> Eric Christmas was in Ed and His Dead Mother with Miriam Margolyes, who
> plays Prof Sprout.

Not the link I was looking for but it will do I will wait to see if anyone
else can get the one I was thinking of before I give it ;-)

> All quite fun - I think I could really get into stalking people like this!
> Sorry if you feel infringed and violated, but you did suggest it first!

No that is fine :-)

> Right. Well, I've never been in a film, but I did appear briefly in the
> background of one playground shot in a 1992 TV drama called Underbelly.
> Someone called David Hayman (sadly spelt differently from the Harry Potter
> producer) was also in Underbelly, apparently.
> And then David Hayman was in The Tailor of Panama with Daniel Radcliffe!
>
> Wow. I feel important.

Cool :-)

Dragon Friend

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 11:28:17 AM5/29/03
"Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in

> Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.

Maybe I missed a pun here - but it's really called six degrees of
separation.

> That means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person
> in showbiz, and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only
> seven steps or less. Cool innit?

Anyway - there are webpages that does this automatically, so it's not
much of a challenge.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html

If you want a challenge, you'd want to find an actor that requires as
many steps as possible. This actually turns out to be pretty difficoult.

Luckily, there are people in HP that hasn't been in any other movies.
e.g. Emma Watson has been in both HP movies, but nothing else. This means
that to link any actor to Emma, you'll have to pass through HP, so that
actor requires one less step to HP than to Emma.

Now, the star links page has a nice feature that tells us exactly how
many people that requires how many steps to get linked to Emma Watson,
which is pretty helpful here.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cgi-bin/oracle/center-cgi?who=Watson%2c+Emma+%
28II%29

HP Watson # of
num Number People
0 0 1 - Emma herself
0 1 89 - The cast of both HP movies
7 8 34
8 9 8

So, as you see, Finding somebody that requires more than 3 jumps to get
connected to Harry Potter is pretty difficoult. And it's impossible to
get more than 8.

OK - Here's the challenge: Who can find an actor or actress with a HP
number of 5 (Watson number of 6) or higher? (BTW: Adolf Hitler has an HP
number of 2)

--
Trond Michelsen

Earwax

May 29, 2003, 11:36:42 AM5/29/03
On Thu, 29 May 2003 08:27:39 -0700, web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb)
wrote:

>How about Catherine Johnson?
>
>Or Dragon Friend?
>
>Or Troels or Tennant?
>
>Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
>else goes first.
>
>RW

If meeting Katharine Hepburn once counts (I only actually spoke with
her secretary) I'm only 3 away from Dan Radcliffe.

The Oracle says: Daniel Radcliffe has a Katharine Hepburn number of
2.

Daniel Radcliffe was in Tailor of Panama, The (2001) with Pierce
Brosnan
Pierce Brosnan was in Love Affair (1994) with Katharine Hepburn

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 11:40:30 AM5/29/03
LatH123 <> wrote in news:68TUPpRQDqREpJUnD9=w9TP...@4ax.com:

> Now... how about.... err..... combining Harry Potter and the Olsen
> twins?

The Olsen twins were in Charlie's Angels II with John Cleese.

--
Trond Michelsen

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 11:43:26 AM5/29/03
LatH123 <> wrote in news:68TUPpRQDqREpJUnD9=w9TP...@4ax.com:

>> Ok... how about Audrey Hepburn to Harry Potter?

> Audrey Hapburn was in Always with John Goodman
> John Goodman was in Monsters' Inc with Bonnie Hunt (voices both)
> Bonnie Hunt was in Jumanjii with Kirsten Dunst
> Kirsten Dunst was in Small Soldiers with Gregory Smith (as I mentioned
> before - I love Everwood; I could also have gone for Interview with
> the Vampire (awesome movie) and Tom Cruise here as Tom Cruise has been
> answered before here)
> Gregory Smith was - as I said before - in The Patriot with Jason
> Isaacs.

Oh, I forgot this one... Audrey Hepburn were in Robin and Marian with
Richard Harris

--
Trond Michelsen

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 11:45:47 AM5/29/03
"Grand Poobah" <do...@rainbowsparkle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:bb51pv
$ic2$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Oh, that has *got* to have an A-Team or Battlestar Galactica link
> somewhere!!!

Well, there's good old Mr. T.

Mr. T was in Not Another Teen Movie (2001) with Randy Quaid
Randy Quaid was in Adventures of Pluto Nash, The (2002) with John Cleese

--
Trond Michelsen

David Sander

May 29, 2003, 12:01:24 PM5/29/03
Rebecca Webb wrote:

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

Erm ... I have a letter from David Heyman asking me to contact the FX
team of PoA (I've declined the invitation as I'm too deeply involved
with my own film at this time and will be for some time to come. Mind
... I've also declined working on Star Wars III and a number of other
projects floating around at the moment - my own film's far too important
to me).

If it's any consolation, I've had one-on-one business dealings with Dave
Scott (the commander of Apollo 15, and the seventh man to walk on the
Moon). He was advisor to Ron Howard for the movie "Apollo 13" (as well
as the more recent HBO TV series "From the Earth to the Moon"), and
dealt extensively with Kevin Bacon (who played Jack Swigert).

An odd series of connections for those who want to play the game ... but
there you go.

David

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 12:07:48 PM5/29/03

> HP Watson # of
> num Number People
> 0 0 1 - Emma herself
> 0 1 89 - The cast of both HP movies
> 7 8 34
> 8 9 8
>

> OK - Here's the challenge: Who can find an actor or actress with a HP
> number of 5 (Watson number of 6) or higher? (BTW: Adolf Hitler has an
> HP number of 2)

I guess I'll start then :)

I haven't found a five yet, but I did manage to locate a four.

Chr. Nobel has a Harry Potter number of 4.

Chr. Nobel was in Hemmeligheden (1912) with Emmy Worm-Muller
Emmy Worm-Muller was in Syv dager for Elisabeth (1927) with Sonja Henie
Sonja Henie was in Hello London (1958) with Oliver Reed
Oliver Reed was in Parting Shots (1998) with John Cleese

--
Trond Michelsen

Lauren

May 29, 2003, 1:01:55 PM5/29/03
"Trond Michelsen" <trondmm...@crusaders.no> wrote in message

Pretty impressive - 'cos it's really hard !

How about -

emma (II) watson has a Francisco (I) Ramirez number of 6.

Emma (II) Watson was in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) with
John Hurt John Hurt was in Hit, The (1984) with Fernando Rey
Fernando Rey was in Nuestra Natacha (1936) with Blanca Negri
Blanca Negri was in Tu eres mi marido (1943) with Maria Llopart
Maria Llopart was in A las armas (1927) with Nicanor de la Sotta
Nicanor de la Sotta was in Manuel Rodriguez (1910) with Francisco (I)
Ramirez

And please don't do that to me again !

Lauren

Mark Townsend

May 29, 2003, 1:21:13 PM5/29/03
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

Ok... My father did a couple of history programmes for the BBC with Rory
McGrath.
Rory McGrath appeared in 'Who Dares Wins' with Tony Robinson
Tony Robinson appeared with Danny John Jules in 'Maid Marion and her merry
men'
Danny John Jules starred in Blade 2 with Kris Kristofferson
Kris Kristofferson was in Payback with Mel Gibson
Mel Gibson was in the Patriot with Jason Issacs
Who was in Harry Potter 2.

Phew! Complex!

Mark

--
"You think I should lose the hat?"
"I think you should *Burn* the hat... 'Cause, if you lost it...

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 1:30:34 PM5/29/03

>> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
>> someone else goes first.
> Ok... My father did a couple of history programmes for the BBC with
> Rory McGrath.
> Rory McGrath appeared in 'Who Dares Wins' with Tony Robinson
> Tony Robinson appeared with Danny John Jules in 'Maid Marion and her
> merry men'
> Danny John Jules starred in Blade 2 with Kris Kristofferson
> Kris Kristofferson was in Payback with Mel Gibson
> Mel Gibson was in the Patriot with Jason Issacs
> Who was in Harry Potter 2.
>
> Phew! Complex!

Oh, the list is a lot shorter than that...

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cgi-bin/oracle/movielinks?
firstname=bonnie+wright&secondname=Rory+McGrath&using=3&game=0

Rory McGrath was in Hysteria 2! (1989) (TV) with John Cleese
Who is in Harry Potter.

John Cleese again, always John Cleese. Almost every name I try has a really
short link to John Cleese. I wonder if there's any person in the UK and US
he hasn't worked with yet :)

--
Trond Michelsen

Andy Platt

May 29, 2003, 1:35:07 PM5/29/03
"Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Ok... My father did a couple of history programmes for the BBC with Rory
> McGrath.
> Rory McGrath appeared in 'Who Dares Wins' with Tony Robinson
> Tony Robinson appeared with Danny John Jules in 'Maid Marion and her merry
> men'

The Oracle says that's very long-winded because Rory McGrath and Robbie
Coltrane were both in "Hysteria 2!".

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 1:52:33 PM5/29/03
"Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in

>>> OK - Here's the challenge: Who can find an actor or actress with a
>>> HP number of 5 (Watson number of 6) or higher? (BTW: Adolf Hitler
>>> has an HP number of 2)

>> Chr. Nobel has a Harry Potter number of 4.

> Pretty impressive - 'cos it's really hard !

Absolutely, and it's a lot harder than the numbers would suggest. I mean,
we're trying to find somebody that are among 0,34% of the people that can
be linked to Harry Potter. It's just above a third of a percent. Doesn't
sound that hard... I guess the unlinkable actors contribute a lot to the
difficoulty. I've found loads of those.

> How about -
> emma (II) watson has a Francisco (I) Ramirez number of 6.
> Emma (II) Watson was in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
> with John Hurt John Hurt was in Hit, The (1984) with Fernando Rey
> Fernando Rey was in Nuestra Natacha (1936) with Blanca Negri
> Blanca Negri was in Tu eres mi marido (1943) with Maria Llopart
> Maria Llopart was in A las armas (1927) with Nicanor de la Sotta
> Nicanor de la Sotta was in Manuel Rodriguez (1910) with Francisco (I)
> Ramirez

Good one. So that's one actor with a Potter number of 5.

I also discovered that I hadn't followed my path to the end, so that my 4
actually leads to a 5.

Eugen Hovind has a Potter number of 5.

Eugen Hovind was in Alt for Norge (1912) with Chr. Nobel

Chr. Nobel was in Hemmeligheden (1912) with Emmy Worm-Muller
Emmy Worm-Muller was in Syv dager for Elisabeth (1927) with Sonja Henie
Sonja Henie was in Hello London (1958) with Oliver Reed
Oliver Reed was in Parting Shots (1998) with John Cleese

And that's two... Only 1654 more out there, plus the 281 with a Potter
number of 6 and higher, of course.

> And please don't do that to me again !

:-)

--
Trond Michelsen

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 2:04:23 PM5/29/03

>> emma (II) watson has a Francisco (I) Ramirez number of 6.

( = Potter number of 5)

> Eugen Hovind has a Potter number of 5.

Bwahaha. I found a 6

The Oracle says: Tsar Nikolai II has an Emma (II) Watson number of 7.

Tsar Nikolai II was in Scene from the Coronation of the Czar of Russia
(1896) with Tsarina Alexandra
Tsarina Alexandra was in Arrival of Funeral Cortege at St. George's
Chapel (1901) with King Edward VII
King Edward VII was in Coronation of Their Majesties King Edward VII and
Queen Alexandra, First Scene (1902) with Queen Alexandra
Queen Alexandra was in Great Love, The (1918) with Lillian Gish
Lillian Gish was in Sweet Liberty (1986) with Christopher Bregman
Christopher Bregman was in Adventures of Pluto Nash, The (2002) with John
Cleese
John Cleese was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with
Emma (II) Watson

>> And please don't do that to me again !

I challenge you to beat that 6 ;-)

--
Trond Michelsen

Lauren

May 29, 2003, 2:13:29 PM5/29/03
> Bwahaha. I found a 6
>
> The Oracle says: Tsar Nikolai II has an Emma (II) Watson number of 7.

Nikolai II ?? I am beyond words - what made you try Nikolai II ??? ;o)

Lauren

Trond Michelsen

May 29, 2003, 2:31:48 PM5/29/03

>> Bwahaha. I found a 6
>> The Oracle says: Tsar Nikolai II has an Emma (II) Watson number of 7.
> Nikolai II ?? I am beyond words - what made you try Nikolai II ??? ;o)

I was just browsing old movies, and I stumbled upon a historical movie
with King Edward VII, who had a Watson number of 5. I didn't really think
much of it then, but it occured to me that he'd probably only have been
in similar historical movies, and he might have been in some with others
that also have only been in historical movies. So I was really just
hoping for a Watson number of 6, but somehow I found a 7 instead :)

Hmm, wait a minute...

Noooooooo!

I knew there was something funny about this. It seems that Tsar Nikolai
is registered with two names in IMDb. He's also registered as Tsar
Nicolas II, who has a Watson number of 6 :-(

Good thing I've found another 7 :-)

The Oracle says: Empress Augusta Victoria has an Emma (II) Watson number
of 7.

Empress Augusta Victoria was in Opening of the Kiel Canal (1895) with
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Kaiser Wilhelm II was in Queen Victoria's Funeral [Number 3] (1901) with

King Edward VII
King Edward VII was in Coronation of Their Majesties King Edward VII and
Queen Alexandra, First Scene (1902) with Queen Alexandra
Queen Alexandra was in Great Love, The (1918) with Lillian Gish
Lillian Gish was in Sweet Liberty (1986) with Christopher Bregman
Christopher Bregman was in Adventures of Pluto Nash, The (2002) with John
Cleese
John Cleese was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with
Emma (II) Watson

--
Trond Michelsen

Troels Forchhammer

May 29, 2003, 3:41:20 PM5/29/03
Rebecca Webb wrote:

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

I'll be ....

Apparently I'm 3 steps away from HP ;-)

The first two steps are by myself, the rest are from:
<http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html>

Troels Forchhammer is in family with Lukas and Eva Forchhammer
Lukas and Eva Forchhammer were in "Krummerne 3 - fars gode ide"[1] (1994) with
Dick Kaysø
Dick Kaysø was in "Hjælp, jeg er en fisk"[2] (2000) with Alan Rickman
who of course ...

[1] International title: "The Crumbs 3: Dad's Bright Idea"
[2] International title: "Help I'm a Fish"

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Great men are almost always bad men."
Lord Acton, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887.

Troels Forchhammer

May 29, 2003, 4:33:23 PM5/29/03
Trond Michelsen wrote:

> OK - Here's the challenge: Who can find an actor or actress with a HP
> number of 5 (Watson number of 6) or higher? (BTW: Adolf Hitler has an HP
> number of 2)

I've got a contemporary with a HP number of 3 - I know it isn't
much, but this lass has been making movies last year!

The Oracle says: Susanne Modler has an Emma (II) Watson number of 4.
Susanne Modler was in Zakka West (2002) with Laura Drasbek
Laura Drasbek was in Blinkende lygter (2000) with Ulrich Thomsen
Ulrich Thomsen was in World Is Not Enough, The (1999) with John Cleese

John Cleese was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with Emma
(II) Watson

Rebecca Webb

May 29, 2003, 6:40:24 PM5/29/03
My turn, and this one's a challenge to the other Snape lovers and
Rickmaniacs out there. Top 4, through AR:

I studied screenwriting with Sterling VanWagenen

who produced THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL with John Heard

who appeared on "O" with Josh Hartnett

who appeared in BLOW DRY with Alan Rickman.

RW

--
If you can't take the heat, get out of the cauldron.

http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SmallestSlytherin

Frank Ney

May 29, 2003, 5:33:39 PM5/29/03
On Thu, 29 May 2003 08:27:39 -0700, an orbiting mind control laser caused
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) to write:

>Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
>else goes first.

About the only way I could possibly manage it would be via Michael Sheard,
an actor who ended up portraying Hitler in a number of BBC productions, as
well as the Evil Empire admiral that Darth Vader force-choked in _The
Empire Strikes Back_.

He was invited (and came to) Technicon (Virginia Tech's SF Club convention
http://www.technicon.org), guess who runs medical support for that con? He
was a wonderful guest and quite a personable fellow. I'm surprised they
didn't try to pick him up for a bit part or six in HP. A Dumbledore he's
not, but I could think of a few characters he'd portray well.

Frank Ney N4ZHG WV/EMT-B NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO ProvNRA LPWV
--
Gun control is the idea that Nicole Simpson lying dead in a pool of her own
blood is better than Nicole or Ron Goldman explaining to the police how O.J.

Markku Uttula

May 29, 2003, 5:48:51 PM5/29/03
Rebecca Webb wrote:
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
> someone else goes first.

Here goes - I was pretty sure this wouldn't have worked, but...

Markku Uttula was in "the audience of Kolmosvisa" with Reijo Salminen
Reijo Salminen was in "Thilia Thalia" with Mari Vainio
Mari Vainio was in "Parhaat Vuodet" with Mats Långbacka
Mats Långbacka was in "Hamilton" with Lena Olin
Lena Olin was in "Lumiere et Compagnie" with Alan Rickman

Ok, that about wraps it up for me

--
Markku Uttula

MAIL: markku...@disconova.com "If not, are you at least easy?"

Grand Poobah

May 29, 2003, 7:07:16 PM5/29/03

"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>

> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.
>

> RW

Hah! Finally. The link is tenuous, but here goes - a local actor called
Dicken Ashworth once had a drink in my local pub (whilst I was also in the
pub, of course). He was in King of the Wind with Richard Harris in 1989,
who of course was Dumbledore.

Does this count?

GP

Tennant Stuart

May 29, 2003, 12:26:14 PM5/29/03
In article <webbrl-2905...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>,
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote:

> How about Catherine Johnson?

> Or Dragon Friend?

> Or Troels or Tennant?

> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go
> if someone else goes first.

Well, my nephew is an actor in the IMDb, and he has *one* degree
of separation with the following people...

Dan Aykroyd
Melissa Bell
Arthur Bostrom
Geraldine Chaplin
Lorraine Chase
Jackie Coogan
George Costigan
Emma Croft
Maggie Dence
Robert Downey Jr.
David Duchovny
Colin Firth
David Gant
Peter Gilmore
Paulette Goddard
Kim Hartman
Patricia Hayes
Adolf Hitler
Sue Hodge
Anthony Hopkins
Milla Jovovich
Kevin Kline
Ingrid Lacey
Diane Lane
Jack Lemmon
Walter Matthau
Bill Paterson
Gerald Sim
Graham Sinclair
John Standing
Robert Stephens
Sylvia Syms
John Thaw
Marisa Tomei
Nancy Travis
Robert Urquhart
James Woods

So if anyone can link one of them to a Harry Potter movie,
I shall be only one more step away.

Tennant Stuart

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Patrick Newman

May 29, 2003, 11:16:16 PM5/29/03
"PaulB" <pbo...@www.dothmgpaint.com> wrote in message

> Rebecca Webb wrote:
> > How about Catherine Johnson?
> >
> > Or Dragon Friend?
> >
> > Or Troels or Tennant?
> >
> > Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
> > someone else goes first.
> >

> I'll have a go.
<snip>
OK...for me:
Patrick Newman stage-managed a college production of "Vampire Lesbians of
Sodom" starring Roger J'Ordann, who was uncredited in "Amerika" (1987 TV
mini-series) with Kris Kristofferson, who was in "Planet of the Apes" with
Paul Giamatti, who was in "Thunderpants" with Rupert Grint who....

Patrick
carpe cerevisi

Corvette Carrot

May 30, 2003, 12:15:40 AM5/30/03
My turn, I have it easy because I'm cousins with Reese Witherspoon ("Legally
Blonde", etc.)

Reese Witherspoon was in "The Importance of Being Earnest" (2002) with Tom
Wilkinson, who was in "Sense and Sensibility" (1995) with Alan Rickman.

Reese also has a Maggie Smith, Warwick Davis, and Richard Harris number of
2.

~Carrot

Corvette Carrot

May 30, 2003, 12:23:50 AM5/30/03

"Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> > Bwahaha. I found a 6
> >
> > The Oracle says: Tsar Nikolai II has an Emma (II) Watson number of 7.
>
> Nikolai II ?? I am beyond words - what made you try Nikolai II ??? ;o)

Heh...Albert Grimaldi has an Emma Watson number of (3). So does his mother,
Grace Kelly. All because of John Cleese, who's been everywhere, apparently.

Michael Caine and Kirk Douglas would also show up a lot. Kirk's been in 86
movies now...

Kal Alexander

May 30, 2003, 12:59:34 AM5/30/03
Rebecca Webb wrote:
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
> someone else goes first.
>
> RW

Well, I've met Chuck Norris, and Chuck Norris was in Delta Force 2:
Operation Stranglehold (1990) with Mark Margolis
Mark Margolis was in Tailor of Panama, The (2001) with Daniel Radcliffe
--
Later
Kal

--
For this cloud I'm under has made me wonder
if anyone ever really grows up at all

"Does The Moment Ever Come?"
George Stiles & Anthony Drewe

Lauren

May 30, 2003, 3:58:04 AM5/30/03
Ooooh I forgot to try my cousin, the Rock Star !

steven (I) page has an emma (II) watson number of 3.

Steven (I) Page was in Barenaked in America (1999) with Jeff Goldblum
Jeff Goldblum was in Silverado (1985) with John Cleese

John Cleese was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with Emma
(II) Watson

Lauren

Unknown

May 30, 2003, 6:09:18 AM5/30/03
"Patrick Newman" <pne...@nospamhouston.rr.com> thought (s)he was

OK. I have a sister. My sister is married. Her husband has a sister as
well. That sister was an extra in the movie A bridge too far (for like
2 seconds in a massive crowd at the liberation of Eindhoven). That
movie stars Sean Connery. Sean Connery was in Indiana Jones & the
Temple of Doom with Harrison Ford. Harrison Ford was in Patriot Games
with Richard Harris, who played Dumbledore in the first two Potter
movies.

~~~~~~~~~~~
LatH123

"Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"
- Lucius Malfoy.

theGreyLady

May 30, 2003, 6:30:58 AM5/30/03

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.
> That
> > > means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
> > showbiz,
> > > and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps
or
> > > less. Cool innit?
> >
> > ok how about sarah michelle geller?
>
> She was in Scooby Doo - with Rowan Atkinson, who was in The Tall Guy with
> Emma Thompson, who was in loads of things with Kenneth Branagh.....

well done! i didn't know that one, the one i had was

Frank Welker was in Scooby Doo who was in Road to El-Dorado with Kenneth
Branagh!

--
Jane Grey
-----------
Peeves flipped over and grinned at Dumbledore from
between his own legs. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black."

Karen S.

May 30, 2003, 10:06:41 AM5/30/03
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote in message news:<webbrl-2905...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>...

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.
>
> RW

Well, I've never been in any films or shows, but I did go to school
with Paul Walker... and from there you could just follow the rest of
the Vin Diesel one I did earlier. :)

Karen S.

theGreyLady

May 30, 2003, 11:08:52 AM5/30/03

"Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

here's mine.
Jenny (the wheel of fortune one) Powell used to go to my school (tho she
left way before I started -does this still count?)
Jenny (II) Powell was in I Love Christmas (2001) (TV) with James (V) King
James (V) King was in Best Ever Bond (2002) (TV) with John Cleese

John Cleese was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with Emma
(II) Watson

just though u'd like to know.

Andy Platt

May 30, 2003, 11:40:04 AM5/30/03

> "Rebecca Webb" <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> > How about Catherine Johnson?
> >
> > Or Dragon Friend?
> >
> > Or Troels or Tennant?
> >
> > Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if
someone
> > else goes first.
>
> here's mine.
> Jenny (the wheel of fortune one) Powell used to go to my school (tho she
> left way before I started -does this still count?)

Only if you met her. Otherwise you could just say that you have a separation
of one because you've seen the movie! You could also get a connection if you
had met someone who had met someone who had met her, etc.

Karen S.

May 30, 2003, 12:31:46 PM5/30/03
Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<na.fd65264bfa...@argonet.co.uk>...

Well, Colin Firth was in the Importance of Being Earnest with Edward
Fox, who was in Oh, What a Lovely War with Maggie Smith, so there you
go!

Karen S.

theGreyLady

May 30, 2003, 12:36:49 PM5/30/03

"Andy Platt" <a...@turnip.his.com> wrote in message

Well i havne't met her personally, but some of my teachers have. I have met
other famous people tho(like angel from buffy) so I guess that means my best
degree of separation from the HP movies is:-

Emma (II) Watson was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) with
Jason Isaacs
Jason Isaacs was in Dragonheart (1996) with Julie Christie
Julie Christie was in I'm with Lucy (2002) with David Boreanaz
David Boreanaz was at Forbidden Planet signing, Tourtham Court Road (1998 or
99 can't recall) with ME!

and will be after third film is released:-
Emma (II) Watson was in Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban (2003) with
Michael Gambon
Michael Gambon was in Innocent Sleep, The (1996) with John Hannah
John Hannah was in I'm with Lucy (2002) with David Boreanaz
David Boreanaz was at Forbidden Planet signing, Tourtham Court Road (1998 or
99 can't recall) with ME!

wa-hey! I have 3 degrees to someone on the HP films!

Andy Platt

May 30, 2003, 12:36:12 PM5/30/03
"Karen S." <krut...@copper.net> wrote:

> Well, Colin Firth was in the Importance of Being Earnest with Edward
> Fox, who was in Oh, What a Lovely War with Maggie Smith, so there you
> go!

Oh, much easier than that - without consulting the Oracle: Colin was in
Bridget Jone's Diary with Shirley Henderson who played Moaning Myrtle.

Dragon Friend

May 30, 2003, 2:22:00 PM5/30/03
"Andy Platt" <a...@turnip.his.com> wrote in message
Colin Firth is also in the film Love Actually with Alan Rickman :-)

Dragon Friend
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other fellow." ~~
Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the dragons of our lives
are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave..."
By Rainer Maria Rilke Check out these websites http://www.maxvonsydow.net
http://www.maxvonsydow.da.ru

wrestleantares

May 30, 2003, 1:46:53 PM5/30/03

>> And please don't do that to me again !

I'm a bad boy...

It only took 3 to get to John Holmes

Tennant Stuart

May 30, 2003, 12:26:24 PM5/30/03
In article <70a84c6e.03053...@posting.google.com>,
krut...@copper.net (Karen S.) wrote:

>>> How about Catherine Johnson?

>>> Or Dragon Friend?

>>> Or Troels or Tennant?

> Well, Colin Firth was in the Importance of Being Earnest with Edward

> Fox, who was in Oh, What a Lovely War with Maggie Smith, so there you
> go!

Oh, cheers Karen!

Tennant

Kal Alexander

May 31, 2003, 3:25:23 AM5/31/03
Trond Michelsen wrote:
(SNIP)

> OK - Here's the challenge: Who can find an actor or actress with a HP
> number of 5 (Watson number of 6) or higher? (BTW: Adolf Hitler has an
> HP number of 2)

I finally found someone who is listed in IMDb, who has a link number
of infinity to Emma. This person has only been in one movie, and has
made only one guest appearance, and her name is Emma (I) Watson,
as opposed to our Emma (II) Watson.
:-)

Karen Savage

May 31, 2003, 11:29:48 AM5/31/03

> "Karen S." <krut...@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Well, Colin Firth was in the Importance of Being Earnest with Edward
> > Fox, who was in Oh, What a Lovely War with Maggie Smith, so there you
> > go!
>
> Oh, much easier than that - without consulting the Oracle: Colin was in
> Bridget Jone's Diary with Shirley Henderson who played Moaning Myrtle.
>
> Andy.

Never even thought of Shirley Henderson. D'oh! Well spotted.

Karen S.

Loriba

Jun 5, 2003, 7:37:54 PM6/5/03
In article <IirBa.1948$%F1.3...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
mark.to...@ntlworld.com wibbled thus...

> > Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> > else goes first.
>
> Ok... My father did a couple of history programmes for the BBC with Rory
> McGrath.
> Rory McGrath appeared in 'Who Dares Wins' with Tony Robinson
> Tony Robinson appeared with Danny John Jules in 'Maid Marion and her merry
> men'
> Danny John Jules starred in Blade 2 with Kris Kristofferson
> Kris Kristofferson was in Payback with Mel Gibson
> Mel Gibson was in the Patriot with Jason Issacs
> Who was in Harry Potter 2.

Ooh, ooh, then this applies to me too. I see Rory McGrath quite often
in a pub in Cambridge!

Although I think I'd rather be a bit closer to Jason Issacs than
this...;-)

> "You think I should lose the hat?"
> "I think you should *Burn* the hat... 'Cause, if you lost it...
> You might find it again."
> - Spaced

Excellent show. I really must get hold of the second series.

--
Loriba

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it. - (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)
HPCode(1.0) - SPS+COS=POA+++GOF++FF= QR
AR+AT+CM=CH++DD+++HB--HM+PO+++TR++

Loriba

Jun 5, 2003, 7:38:06 PM6/5/03
In article <webbrl-2905...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>,
web...@mrs.umn.edu wibbled thus...

> How about Catherine Johnson?
>
> Or Dragon Friend?
>
> Or Troels or Tennant?
>
> Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> else goes first.

Okay, last year we had an MPhil student who went to school (and on
several dates) with Natalie Portman.

Natalie Portman was in Phantom Menace with Warwick Davis.

(Should I also mention that I have an Adolf Hitler score of 2? No?
Alrightie then! :-))

Donald Shepherd

Jun 6, 2003, 4:34:53 AM6/6/03
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 00:37:54 +0100, Loriba <lor...@whsmithnet.co.uk>
alleged...

> In article <IirBa.1948$%F1.3...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
> mark.to...@ntlworld.com wibbled thus...
> > > Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
> > > else goes first.
> >
> > Ok... My father did a couple of history programmes for the BBC with Rory
> > McGrath.
> > Rory McGrath appeared in 'Who Dares Wins' with Tony Robinson
> > Tony Robinson appeared with Danny John Jules in 'Maid Marion and her merry
> > men'
> > Danny John Jules starred in Blade 2 with Kris Kristofferson
> > Kris Kristofferson was in Payback with Mel Gibson
> > Mel Gibson was in the Patriot with Jason Issacs
> > Who was in Harry Potter 2.
> >

> Ooh, ooh, then this applies to me too. I see Rory McGrath quite often
> in a pub in Cambridge!
>
> Although I think I'd rather be a bit closer to Jason Issacs than
> this...;-)

So this is just meeting rather than "appearing with" (I've had varying
stories on how this game works... one person even claims it has to be
"slept with")? In that case:

My father played golf with Bill Clinton,
who was interviewed by Leonardo DiCaprio,
who appeared in Gangs of New York with Brendan Gleeson,
who appeared in The Tailor of Panama with Daniel Radcliffe.

Closer than I thought. ^_0
--
Donald Shepherd
<donald_shepherd @ hotmail . com>

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open
sewer and die." - Mel Brooks

hansaplatz

Jun 7, 2003, 10:41:51 AM6/7/03

"Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.
> That
> > > means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
> > showbiz,
> > > and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps
or
> > > less. Cool innit?
> >
> > ok how about sarah michelle geller?
>
> She was in Scooby Doo - with Rowan Atkinson, who was in The Tall Guy with
> Emma Thompson, who was in loads of things with Kenneth Branagh.....

and emma thompson was also in sense and sensibility with alan rickman too

hansaplatz

hansaplatz

Jun 7, 2003, 10:45:28 AM6/7/03

"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Richie" <ape...@norubbish.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys, I thought it would be fun to do Seven Degrees of Seperation.
That
> > means ( for those who don't know ) that someone names any person in
> showbiz,
> > and everyone has to connect them to Harry Potter in only seven steps or
> > less. Cool innit?

how about anybody from the band 'suede'?

1.i know my mum (who sells greetings cards)
2.my mum sold a greetings card to the aunt of one of suede
3.the aunt knows her nephew from suede

so suede links to hp how.....
i make it 3 degrees so far, can you link it in 7 or less?

hansaplatz

Donald Shepherd

Jun 7, 2003, 1:03:49 PM6/7/03
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 15:45:28 +0100, hansaplatz <han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk>
alleged...

4. Suede did the music for "So I Married an Axe Murderer" (at least, a
band called Suede did. I assume it's the same one?) with Mike Myers
5. Verne Troyer was in Goldmember with Mike Myers
6. Alan Rickman was in Harry Potter 1 with Verne Troyer

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html is great for this.
*grin*

Tonje Kristin Nilsen

Jun 13, 2003, 6:23:36 PM6/13/03
wrote:

>How about Catherine Johnson?
>
>Or Dragon Friend?
>
>Or Troels or Tennant?
>

>Come on, folks, I think it'd be fun to do yourselves. I'll go if someone
>else goes first.

(A late reply, but I've been away from Usenet for a few weeks, and I'm
just starting to catch up.)

With the help of http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/star_links.html,
I've found out that I'm 3 steps away from some of the actors in the
HP-movies.

E.g: Kenneth Branagh and Mark Williams were in _Shackleton_ with Bjørn
Floberg, who was in _Sophie's World_ with my first cousin once removed
(is that the correct expression? In Norwegian it's just "mother's (or
father's) cousin"). And Robbie Coltrane was in _Defence of the Realm_
with Mark Tandy, who was also in _Sophie's World_.

--
TK
"You can't ever be really free

Frank Ney

Jun 14, 2003, 11:59:35 AM6/14/03
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:23:36 GMT, an orbiting mind control laser caused
tknilsenDON'TWAN...@student.sv.uio.no (Tonje Kristin Nilsen) to write:

>E.g: Kenneth Branagh and Mark Williams were in _Shackleton_ with Bjørn
>Floberg, who was in _Sophie's World_ with my first cousin once removed
>(is that the correct expression? In Norwegian it's just "mother's (or
>father's) cousin").

That's the correct expression. Your parent's first cousin is your first
cousin once removed. If that first cousin had a child, that child would be
your second cousin. And so on. Technically my "Aunt Nancy" up in
Taxachussets is really my first cousin once removed, as she is my father's
cousin, but I was never allowed to call her "Cousin Nancy" which used to be
the proper salutation for cousins you didn't know or know very well or were
well senior to you in age.

Having family in the DAR (which is big on genealogy), you tend to learn
things like that.

Frank Ney N4ZHG WV/EMT-B NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO ProvNRA LPWV
--
"Apparently on New Texas, killing a politician wasn't regarded as _malum in se_,
and was _malum prohibitorum_ only to the extent that what the politician got was
Just Say No to Gestapo Tactics http://reduce.to/justsayno/
Abuses by the BATF http://www.elfie.org/~croaker/batfabus.html

Tennant Stuart

Jun 15, 2003, 5:47:07 PM6/15/03
In article <etgmevkj5rb404lrv...@4ax.com>,
Frank Ney <n4...@icqmail.com> wrote:

> Having family in the DAR

DAR?

Tennant Stuart

Tonje Kristin Nilsen

Jun 16, 2003, 7:46:08 PM6/16/03
On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:59:35 -0400, Frank Ney <n4...@icqmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:23:36 GMT, an orbiting mind control laser caused
>tknilsenDON'TWAN...@student.sv.uio.no (Tonje Kristin Nilsen) to write:

[parent's cousin = first cousin once removed?]

>That's the correct expression. Your parent's first cousin is your first
>cousin once removed.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was correct both ways (up and down through
generations).

> If that first cousin had a child, that child would be
>your second cousin. And so on.

We call that "third[something untranslatable]", and fourth- and so on.

>Technically my "Aunt Nancy" up in
>Taxachussets is really my first cousin once removed, as she is my father's
>cousin, but I was never allowed to call her "Cousin Nancy" which used to be
>the proper salutation for cousins you didn't know or know very well or were
>well senior to you in age.

I used to call one of my father's cousins and his wife uncle and aunt,
because I used to spend a lot of time with them and that was kind of
relationship we had (we've lost touch in the last few year).

All the others (the few that I've ever met] I call by first name.
Which is also usual among cousins, btw, there's very little "cousin
x". Indeed I've started to drop "aunt" and "uncle" as well, but I
don't know how common that is, and my brother and my cousins still use
them (though they're all still children).