Favorite and awful commercials - OT

Larry G

Apr 12, 2003, 6:47:26 AM4/12/03
Hey there nightowls and early risers, hehe

Anybody have any favorite commercials, or commercials they loathe? One of
my favorites is where this guy is dressed up as Frankenstein and it's for an
arthritis commercial. He credits the pills for fixing his "arthritis" haha.
And, they show him in a yoga class. It's hysterical.

But there's these ads I loathe. I think they're from Kia. In this one ad,
this family is at a zoo, and they're posing for a picture and suddenly their
little boy is snatched by a large ape, and the announcer goes "Don't you
want to protect them while you can?". A similar ad has a child with a
pinata, and suddenly he starts beating up the other kids with a stick, and
the same announcer comes on. I hate ads like that. They're not funny, and
I can't even remember what the ad was for. I decided to purposely look for
the company the last time I saw it. Maybe I'll write to complain, lol.

Anybody have any favorites or hate certain ones?

Larry

jenn

Apr 12, 2003, 9:33:46 AM4/12/03
>From: "Larry G" larr...@yahoo.com

>Anybody have any favorites or hate certain ones?

i laugh so hard during that new dairy queen blizzard commercial with the guy
holding two blizzards upside down and going "woop woop" hahahahahahahaha
everytime i see it i laugh hysterically

* * *
"You look so fine
I want to break your heart
and give you mine
You're taking me over. . ."

CaptMorgs21

Apr 12, 2003, 10:52:09 AM4/12/03
>Anybody have any favorites or hate certain ones?

i like the new one for the jetta (i think, maybe its some other car) when the
guys is going to the church to get married but is having trouble making up his
mind so he keeps turning around and backing up and then at the end they're
talking about how sturdy the side panels are or something as they show the
groom banging his head against the door. i think its funny. i was also a fan of
the commercial where the guy jumped on top of the grocery cart so it wouldnt
hit his car. i think that was a VW commercial, too.

-Laura

And I hope you are the one I share my life with
And I wish that you could be the one I die with
And I pray you're the one I build my home with
*I hope I love you all my life*

http://www.livejournal.com/~loveyoumor

CaRoLiNaCuTiEUSC

Apr 12, 2003, 11:07:05 AM4/12/03
>Favorite and awful commercials - OT

The car commercial where the guy is like waiting for his wife (or something...
there is some reason he can't get the car right now) & there is another couple
coming up to the car to get it, so he licks the door handle to make them not
want it :x

-Stefanie
---
sorry if i ain't perfect
sorry if i don't give a -what-
sorry i ain't a diva
sorry just know what i want
sorry i'm not a virgin
sorry i'm not a slut
i won't let you break me
think what you want

..Malachi..

Apr 12, 2003, 11:25:16 AM4/12/03
>The car commercial where the guy is like waiting for his wife (or
something...there is some reason he can't get the car right now) & there is

another couple coming up to the car to get it, so he licks the door handle to
make them not want it :x

LOL I like that commercial. Everyone's always "Look! That's what Mal would do
w/her eclipse." haha. Hell yeah.

M a l l o r y*
- - - - - - - -
Every time I try to grasp for air, I am smothered in despair.
Seems I'll never wake from this nightmare.
I let out a silent prayer "Let it be over, over."
My heart's been bruised, so sad but it's true.
- - - - - - - -

Find Me Here

Apr 12, 2003, 11:26:40 AM4/12/03
>Subject: Re: Favorite and awful commercials - OT

although the commerical is annoying, it still makes me laugh. It's the one for
Toys 'R Us. It has Geoffory in front of all these bunnies. Theyre all singing
in this annoying high pitched voice, and he's like "alright, alright we'll have
an easter sale" or something like that.

I also like the commerical for coke where the boy steals the roomates food.

-M

"If your movie's going to have a happy ending, you just have to see it
through."

Sarandipidy

Apr 12, 2003, 11:37:35 AM4/12/03
i dislike the mcdonald's one with all the little kids cheering for the new
mcnugget. oh yeah. and all the girls gone wild advertisements.

i really like the one for folgers where she steps out on her wooden porch and
enjoys the foggy mountains at dawn or something.

sara

do you ever catch yourself thinking
while watching tv?
-cable ad

Subw75

Apr 12, 2003, 11:37:43 AM4/12/03

>>Subject: Re: Favorite and awful commercials - OT

I don't know if it's still on, but there was one for Kodak and it took place in
an animal shelter. The woman who works there takes pictures of the dogs with
her digital camera and the little boy sees one of the dogs online and ends up
adopting him. I LOVE that dog. He's this huge, brown dog with an adorable face.
At the end the little boy hugs him, and you can see how huge the dog is.

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 12:03:45 PM4/12/03

Larry G wrote:
> Anybody have any favorite commercials, or commercials they loathe?

That commercial where the old man is sitting in the living room, and a
mother comes walking in with her baby toddling around in front of her,
and the man opens his arms and says "Come to grandpa" and then the baby
walks right through him because he's really a ghost? Yeah, that almost
made me cry the first time I saw it. I don't know whether I love it or
hate it because of that. I also love the commercials for the Oxygen
network just because they're stupid. ("O!") And the old Moutain Dew
one, with "We got hosed, Tommy. We got hosed."

--
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."

http://www.aeonian.org

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 12:04:39 PM4/12/03

CaptMorgs21 wrote:
> i was also a fan of
> the commercial where the guy jumped on top of the grocery cart so it wouldnt
> hit his car. i think that was a VW commercial, too.

Oh yeah! And the one where he licks the door handle so nobody else
will buy the car. I liked the new bug commercials too, with "Mr. Blue
Sky" and all the squares.

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 12:06:59 PM4/12/03

Find Me Here wrote:
> I also like the commerical for coke where the boy steals the roomates food.

Okay, I promise this is the last time. I also like the Coke
commercials with that "Make It Real" song, and the one where Courtney
Cox gives her husband a big glass of ice. And the MasterCard commercial
that ends with "Life with a dog: Priceless."

Sarandipidy

Apr 12, 2003, 12:08:17 PM4/12/03
oh yeah, and the sony commerical with "carry on" covered by a girl with a
pretty voice.

Find Me Here

Apr 12, 2003, 12:31:22 PM4/12/03
>And the MasterCard commercial

I still like the one where Charlie Sheen turns into Martin, although theyve
pulled that commerical as of late because of Martin's political views. I read
that recently in a magazine.

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 12:40:53 PM4/12/03

Find Me Here wrote:
> >And the MasterCard commercial
>
> I still like the one where Charlie Sheen turns into Martin,

Oh yeah! Awesome!

> pulled that commerical as of late because of Martin's political views. I read
> that recently in a magazine.

Well, that's just stupid.

ButterflyFaerie6

Apr 12, 2003, 12:52:46 PM4/12/03
>Anybody have any favorite commercials, or commercials they loathe?

i like the car commercial with the family driving and the little boy sees the
monster in the lake and the girl sees the unicorn and then they have elvis in a
car.
((***'\/***'))
((_.^._))
~ashley~
comments from chrissy to zac
"so, the naked pictures aren't real either"
"your brothers make me look fat, i'm going to stand by you"
" i know you're looking at my zit"

Lady Don

Apr 12, 2003, 1:13:29 PM4/12/03
>Anybody have any favorite commercials, or commercials they loathe?

I can't think of my favorites right now. The ones I hate the most are the AT&T
Carrot Top ones. I want to shoot myself whenever they come on.

And I also hate the car commercial where they're driving past all these kids
playing and then there's a sign that says, "Next stop: Old Age." Depressing
much? lol That REALLY makes me want to buy the car. Ha.

[-dicey*-]
*~*~*
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shadypoof
*~*~*
"I've had you so many times but somehow I want more."
*~*~*
http://www.harlanhoward.com

CaptMorgs21

Apr 12, 2003, 1:18:40 PM4/12/03
>And I also hate the car commercial where they're driving past all these kids
>playing and then there's a sign that says, "Next stop: Old Age." Depressing
>much? lol That REALLY makes me want to buy the car. Ha.

depressing...i dont hate these commercials, but they really get me, are the
truth: marijuana commercials. especially the one where the kids are in the
drive-thru and the little girl is riding her bike and you hear them hit her.
and the other one where the guy is at some sort of memorial at a tree for a
young boy and they're talking about how the boy was hit by a driver under the
influence and then they're like, the driver was his brother. or something like
that. its so sad

Subw75

Apr 12, 2003, 1:35:08 PM4/12/03
>And the old Moutain Dew
>one, with "We got hosed, Tommy. We got hosed."

Davey and Goliath. My sister and I used to irritate our parents watching that
show.

mona

Apr 12, 2003, 1:40:41 PM4/12/03
i like the corona commercial.

jess

- - - - - -

http://www.livejournal.com/~spunkstar

- - - - - -

AmidaIa 20: How many Hansons does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
AmidaIa 20: One...taylor will screw anything.

Find Me Here

Apr 12, 2003, 1:51:10 PM4/12/03
>I can't think of my favorites right now. The ones I hate the most are the
>AT&T
>Carrot Top ones. I want to shoot myself whenever they come on.

He is so freakin odd. And his eyebrows(his manly plucked ones) bother the hell
outta me.

Lady Don

Apr 12, 2003, 1:53:45 PM4/12/03
>He is so freakin odd. And his eyebrows(his manly plucked ones) bother the
>hell
>outta me.

AND HE IS NOT FUNNY!

Im just a little unwell

Apr 12, 2003, 2:07:43 PM4/12/03
>or commercials they loathe?

Any local Kansas City commericals. Particularly this one for deVry where its a
woman in a resturant and the waitress goes up to her and she says "Hey dont I
know you? we went to high school together WHAT HAPPENED to you?!". Or theres
the National American Uni. commericals.

Those and Old Navy commericals are the worst.

Kristal*;;
---
//All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you*
---
http://www.livejournal.com/~singerdork
---
"So...that was pretty amazing."-E.

jenn

Apr 12, 2003, 2:19:08 PM4/12/03
>From: stuckin...@aol.comedie (Find Me Here)

>>Subject: Re: Favorite and awful commercials - OT
>
>although the commerical is annoying, it still makes me laugh. It's the one
>for
>Toys 'R Us. It has Geoffory in front of all these bunnies. Theyre all singing
>in this annoying high pitched voice, and he's like "alright, alright we'll
>have
>an easter sale" or something like that.

hahaaaaaaaa. they're singing peter cottontail. and that commercial annoys me,
but for personal reasons
LOL

johanna of the spirits

Apr 12, 2003, 2:27:53 PM4/12/03
>Anybody have any favorites or hate certain ones?

I hate commercials sooo much but for some reason that McDonalds commercial for
the free yogurt parfait or whatever makes me and my best friend crack up every
time =D (omg, am i like, the hundredth customer? is there gonna be balloons and
confetti?)

Jo
MochaStudmuffin: i kept kissing her hand
MochaStudmuffin: then she kissed mine
MochaStudmuffin: we kept exchanging
MochaStudmuffin: like stock market

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 2:52:43 PM4/12/03

Lady Don wrote:
> And I also hate the car commercial where they're driving past all these kids
> playing and then there's a sign that says, "Next stop: Old Age." Depressing
> much? lol That REALLY makes me want to buy the car. Ha.

Saturn. But don't they turn around and go back in that one? So it's
like, "This car will make you stay young!"
The one I don't get is the one where they're driving past all the
weddings and it's like, "Next stop, marriage." Because aren't the
passing out of whatever they're driving by? So wouldn't they be passing
marriage by? Oh, or maybe they're passing the wedding and INTO
marriage, in which case it makes sense, so nevermind.

Lady Don

Apr 12, 2003, 3:51:38 PM4/12/03
>Saturn. But don't they turn around and go back in that one? So it's
>like, "This car will make you stay young!"

Yeah, but in reality I know it wont, and I know that old age will be coming for
me eventually, and that's depressing. So I don't want the car. lol

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 5:09:20 PM4/12/03

Find Me Here wrote:
> He is so freakin odd. And his eyebrows(his manly plucked ones) bother the hell
> outta me.

I always thought Ike looked like Carrot Top.

--
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."

http://www.aeonian.org

Nia

Apr 12, 2003, 5:10:46 PM4/12/03

Lady Don wrote:
> Yeah, but in reality I know it wont, and I know that old age will be coming for
> me eventually, and that's depressing. So I don't want the car. lol

I keep thinking in old age I will have lived my life, and I'll know so
much, and I'll have a big happy family, and it will be okay for me to be
fat. Mostly that it will be okay for me to be fat.

--
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."

http://www.aeonian.org

Katie

Apr 12, 2003, 7:27:14 PM4/12/03
I HATE HATE HATE that commercial. LMAO the bunnies drive me nuts. I also
hate the sale we're having but thats another story!

~Katie

"Find Me Here" <stuckin...@aol.comedie> wrote in message

jenn

Apr 12, 2003, 8:11:11 PM4/12/03
>From: "Katie" lilz...@aol.com

>I HATE HATE HATE that commercial. LMAO the bunnies drive me nuts. I also
>hate the sale we're having but thats another story!

are you guys out of the care bears that are in the ad? we are, and have been
for the past week! the warehouse doesn't even have any lol

those things are gonna be rainchecks out the ying yang

Indie that cool chick

Apr 12, 2003, 8:38:59 PM4/12/03
>Oh yeah! And the one where he licks the door handle so nobody else
>will buy the car.

Oh my god I so love that commercial and everyone makes fun of me for it. I also
love the new one where it talks about having a good navigator in the passenger
seat. "Fry!" haha that's so me and my friends.

Indie
*the peaceful-liberal AFH'er*
http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/war21.html (Get Your War On!!)
http://www.livejournal.com/~zbluestarz

Indie that cool chick

Apr 12, 2003, 8:40:02 PM4/12/03
>i dont hate these commercials, but they really get me, are the
>truth: marijuana commercials.

I hate those commericials. Some of them are stupid. The one with the boy and
girl at the party? :o/

m a r i n a

Apr 12, 2003, 9:36:28 PM4/12/03
>I hate those commericials. Some of them are stupid. The one with the boy and
>girl at the party? :o/

MARIJUANA MAKES YOU A SEXUAL PREDATOR DUH.

also what about the one where the boy cuts up the four cigarettes and rolls
them into one and smokes it come on who does that.

_no i would not give you false hope
_on this strange and mournful day.

Katie

Apr 13, 2003, 12:44:53 AM4/13/03
We have soo many damn care bears. And everyone is like "Katie do you have
these yet?" and im like "Yesss i have them allll" LOL The hugs and tugs
were rainchecked in the beginning, but then we got a buttload of them in.
And the ones for next week.. I can't figure out if theyre the really big
ones, or the ones that have the light up bellies. But we have all those
too.

~Katie

"jenn" <crack...@aol.comalibu> wrote in message

SuComp

Apr 13, 2003, 1:18:09 AM4/13/03
>>Anybody have any favorites or hate certain ones?

I love the commercial where the guy puts the dog on his head like he has
dreads. That is hilarious.
SUE B.
Don't Be Hatin'!!!

Miss Kitty Fantastico a.k.a. Dee

Apr 13, 2003, 1:42:23 AM4/13/03
>I love the commercial where the guy puts the dog on his head like he has
>dreads. That is hilarious.

yeah lol that one is awesome
dee
----------
+i heart www.kupo-kupo.com
+i heart elephants taking huge craps at busch gardens.
----------

Find Me Here

Apr 13, 2003, 1:52:16 AM4/13/03
>I HATE HATE HATE that commercial.

Im sure I will hate it eventually, right now I just find it humorous for some
reason. lol. Normally it'd bug the hell out of me.

Find Me Here

Apr 13, 2003, 1:54:37 AM4/13/03
>MARIJUANA MAKES YOU A SEXUAL PREDATOR DUH.
>
>also what about the one where the boy cuts up the four cigarettes and rolls
>them into one and smokes it come on who does tha

then there's the one about the younger daughter smoking pot and they show the
two parents going back and forth before you see the girl, who's what 14? 15?
and theyre pacing...so you think theyre waiting for the pregnancy test and then
it goes..."Being the youngest grandparents in town/on the block" or something
like that. Then the mother goes over and hugs her young daughter who's
crying....that one is on ALL the time. Drives me nuts.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 1:58:28 AM4/13/03

>>MARIJUANA MAKES YOU A SEXUAL PREDATOR DUH.
>>
>>also what about the one where the boy cuts up the four cigarettes and rolls
>>them into one and smokes it come on who does tha
>
>then there's the one about the younger daughter smoking pot and they show the
>two parents going back and forth before you see the girl, who's what 14? 15?
>and theyre pacing...so you think theyre waiting for the pregnancy test and
>then
>it goes..."Being the youngest grandparents in town/on the block" or something
>like that. Then the mother goes over and hugs her young daughter who's
>crying....that one is on ALL the time. Drives me nuts.

lol Why do you guys hate those? I think they get the point across really well,
especially to kids/young teens.

I also really like the Truth commercials, too, but they're just a little
overplayed. lol

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 2:55:41 AM4/13/03
>lol Why do you guys hate those? I think they get the point across really
>well,
>especially to kids/young teens.

Because kids and young teens will soon grow up to find out that that kind of
thing rarely ever happens because of marijuana use. If they really want to get
the point across, they should make a commercial with a bunch of stoners sitting
vacant-eyed in front of a TV, playing video games for hours and hours. Or
sitting with a group of friends laughing at things that just aren't funny on
any level. Not remembering anything anyone tells you. Not being able to live
without smoking up because now, everything seems boring unless you're stoned
while you're doing it.

There are certainly possibilities.

)( melissa *
http://www.livejournal.com/~cloudwoven

.and discard the evidence.
coheed&cambria+

sucker for a sweet talker

Apr 13, 2003, 3:06:00 AM4/13/03
> Or
>sitting with a group of friends laughing at things that just aren't funny on
>any level.

or, in an example of one of my friends, standing in front of a house with
christmas lights for a half hour mumbling, "whoa... the lights..."

okay, so it was funny. but he's given up pot since then. thankgod.

FRan *
blurty ; slowlyfallapart[friends only!]
uj ; blunailpolish
community.webshots.com/user/frankynarffanatic

in a wide sea of eyes,
i see one pair that i recognize.
&i know that i am the luckiest.
gvr<3fvm

Rachel

Apr 13, 2003, 4:14:47 AM4/13/03
>Favorite and awful commercials - OT

I hate the Michelina's commercial when they do the "Macarena" dance but say
"Michelina" instead. I also hate the commercial [it's an older one] and it was
about some religious something or the other and the wife or husband was in the
chair. I don't know where I'm going with this but it was way disturbing. As for
favorite commercials, I like the car commercial where everyone is driving a box
car then rolls in the whatever car the commercial is for. I laugh everytime.
Also any infomercial is my favourite. I love to watch them!

xoxo
Rachel
<3
http://www.livejournal.com/~purrfectangel

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 4:32:09 AM4/13/03

m a r i n a wrote:
> also what about the one where the boy cuts up the four cigarettes and rolls
> them into one and smokes it come on who does that.

Well, that's the point. You don't do that--so why smoke marijuana,
which is essentially the same?
Whether that's true or not is a totally different story. I actually
like one of the anti-marijuana commercials, where the car hits the
little girl on the bike, but the rest of them are pretty stupid. As are
those anti-tobacco commercials.

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 4:33:57 AM4/13/03

Lady Don wrote:
> lol Why do you guys hate those? I think they get the point across really well,
> especially to kids/young teens.

They totally don't. Kids laugh at those commercials. "Dude, it's so
hilarious, they don't even see the little kid."
You can't drill consequences into their heads when they don't think the
consequences will happen to them.

jenn

Apr 13, 2003, 10:08:20 AM4/13/03
>From: "Katie" lilz...@aol.com

>We have soo many damn care bears. And everyone is like "Katie do you have
>these yet?" and im like "Yesss i have them allll" LOL The hugs and tugs
>were rainchecked in the beginning, but then we got a buttload of them in.

damn we've been out of those hugs and tugs ones for about a week now. and the
ad started last sunday i think. so i'm sure we're gonna have a ton of
rainchecks on them. we were out of carebears altogether for the longest time
lol we're supposed to have a whole 4 foot section of carebears and i had to
fill it with crap because we didn't have any in. and then when we'd get a box
or two of the regular ones in, they'd sell out the next day and it would be
empty again. but that was through christmas lol

CaptMorgs21

Apr 13, 2003, 10:21:09 AM4/13/03

>>lol Why do you guys hate those? I think they get the point across really
>>well,
>>especially to kids/young teens.
>
>Because kids and young teens will soon grow up to find out that that kind of
>thing rarely ever happens because of marijuana use. If they really want to
>get
>the point across, they should make a commercial with a bunch of stoners
>sitting
>vacant-eyed in front of a TV, playing video games for hours and hours. Or
>sitting with a group of friends laughing at things that just aren't funny on
>any level. Not remembering anything anyone tells you. Not being able to live
>without smoking up because now, everything seems boring unless you're stoned
>while you're doing it.

even showing people gaining weight from all the munchies would work better. ha

-Laura

And I hope you are the one I share my life with
And I wish that you could be the one I die with
And I pray you're the one I build my home with
*I hope I love you all my life*

http://www.livejournal.com/~loveyoumor

All Natural Pam

Apr 13, 2003, 10:50:41 AM4/13/03
>I hate the Michelina's commercial when they do the "Macarena" dance but say
>"Michelina" instead.

YES! That one sucks so bad! I also hate the Joe Millionaire KFC commercial with
the honey bbq wings.
Pam
http://www.livejournal.com/~secretok
--------
"ok... new deal, I'll be your complete bitch for a month for $2,500"

Xx LiMeSpRiTe xX

Apr 13, 2003, 11:11:01 AM4/13/03
>Subject: Re: Favorite and awful commercials - OT
>From: "Katie" lilz...@aol.com
>Date: 4/13/03 12:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>We have soo many damn care bears. And everyone is like "Katie do you have
>these yet?" and im like "Yesss i have them allll" LOL The hugs and tugs
>were rainchecked in the beginning, but then we got a buttload of them in.

i still need good luck bear and birthday bear...carlton cards should have
birthday bear in SOON..grrr...our toys r us blows, they litterally have NO care
bears EVER. it sucks.
* laura *
http://www.livejournal.com/users/xlimespritex/
will i be there when you call me in the middle of the night?
will i keep the rain from falling down into your life?
i promise, i promise
i promise i will

Katie

Apr 13, 2003, 11:34:15 AM4/13/03
We have a tiny end cap of care bears.. but there's always stuff in it.
Grumpy bear, usually. They ship SO MANY of him!

~Katie

"jenn" <crack...@aol.comalibu> wrote in message

Find Me Here

Apr 13, 2003, 11:34:20 AM4/13/03
>I also really like the Truth commercials, too, but they're just a little
>overplayed. lol

well that is the same reason I dont like the other commericals. I must see the
one with the pregnant girl a few times a day.

Katie

Apr 13, 2003, 11:35:07 AM4/13/03
I haven't seen good luck bear either. Everyone at work knows thats the last
one I need, so they are going to put it aside if we ever get it in LOL. I
didn't know they made Birthday Bear though!

~Katie

"Xx LiMeSpRiTe xX" <xxlimes...@aol.com> wrote in message

All Natural Pam

Apr 13, 2003, 11:37:52 AM4/13/03
>I haven't seen good luck bear either.

Is that the one with the clover? My sister bought that one at Hot Topic.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 11:50:36 AM4/13/03
>lol Why do you guys hate those? I think they get the point across really
>well,
>especially to kids/young teens.

have you ever smoked pot? i have been stoned up the wazooo, and it has never
affected my judgement--not once. when you're stoned, you are more aware of
things than ever before. even if you are sexually charged beyond what you've
ever felt before, if you succumb to temptation you are completely aware of what
you're doing and it's your own fault (well it would be anyway, but blaming the
marijuana isn't right). i love it when they are followed by beer commericals
with tons of barely 21 people running around and dancing like lunatics in no
clothes. i love it how there are barely any drunk driving deaths commercials
anymore which is absolutely sad because people do it all the time, but there is
one "pot-driving" death commercial that is aired repeatedly. you would have to
be really really REALLY high off your tush to hit someone as a result of the
pot-- and driving would most likely be your own judgement, not a decision
influenced by your high. i just hate how they use driving scenarios and
teenagers to keep it criminalized. are you not allowed to drink until you're
21, or smoke cigarettes until you're 18? so if pot was legalized, there would
be no age and in-public regulations?

sara

do you ever catch yourself thinking
while watching tv?
-cable ad

CaRoLiNaCuTiEUSC

Apr 13, 2003, 11:57:25 AM4/13/03

>or, in an example of one of my friends, standing in front of a house with
>christmas lights for a half hour mumbling, "whoa... the lights..."

Or stealing a younger sibling's finger paints and painting on the walls, while
going "Dude, dad's gonna think *kids name* did this... hahhaahhahaha". Yeah,
my boyfriend's friends back when they were REALLY screwy, lol.

-Stefanie
---
sorry if i ain't perfect
sorry if i don't give a -what-
sorry i ain't a diva
sorry just know what i want
sorry i'm not a virgin
sorry i'm not a slut
i won't let you break me
think what you want

CaRoLiNaCuTiEUSC

Apr 13, 2003, 11:59:10 AM4/13/03
>but there is
>one "pot-driving" death commercial that is aired repeatedly. you would have
>be really really REALLY high off your tush to hit someone as a result of the
>pot

Yeah... most people drive really slowly when they're stone... like paranoid
they're gonna get pulled over.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 12:09:40 PM4/13/03
>Or stealing a younger sibling's finger paints and painting on the walls,
>while
>going "Dude, dad's gonna think *kids name* did this... hahhaahhahaha". Yeah,
>my boyfriend's friends back when they were REALLY screwy, lol.

HAHAHAH that is hilarious, did the dad blame the little kid? i hope not!

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 12:08:57 PM4/13/03

>Yeah... most people drive really slowly when they're stone... like paranoid
>they're gonna get pulled over.

they say that "something out of something amount of drivers tested positive for
marijuana." how did they conduct these tests? first of all, just because
someone was stoned and got into an accident does not mean that the marijuana
was the cause of it. secondly, if they are just giving regular drug tests and
not doing some extensive search to find out exactly when the person was under
the influence (if they can even do that), you don't even know if they were even
stoned at the time of the accident-- marijuana stays in your system for at
least a month. therefore the number of accidents cause of stoned drivers is
significantly lower. they just give this vague propaganda information and know
that people will eat it up.

CaRoLiNaCuTiEUSC

Apr 13, 2003, 12:12:54 PM4/13/03
>HAHAHAH that is hilarious, did the dad blame the little kid? i hope not!

No... he came home in the middle of the painting :X That, and the fact that
we, um, forgot that the little kid was OUT with the dad... yeah, that kind of
posed a problem. But the dad thought it was hilarious, he smokes up with his
son, lol.

CaRoLiNaCuTiEUSC

Apr 13, 2003, 12:50:38 PM4/13/03
>No... he came home in the middle of the painting :X That, and the fact that
>we, um, forgot that the little kid was OUT with the dad... yeah, that kind of
>posed a problem.

Oh, and one more thing... one of the guys did his hand print... which even if
nothing else went wrong, would have given it away... they all do the stupidest
stuff.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 1:12:57 PM4/13/03
>>Because kids and young teens will soon grow up to find out that that kind of
>>thing rarely ever happens because of marijuana use.

But the point is is it DOES happen and it can happen to ANYONE.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 1:15:18 PM4/13/03
>have you ever smoked pot?

Yeah I used to smoke it on a somewhat regular basis, thanks.

>when you're stoned, you are more aware of
>things than ever before.

Sorry, but that is such bullshit.

CaptMorgs21

Apr 13, 2003, 1:29:52 PM4/13/03
>>have you ever smoked pot?
>
>Yeah I used to smoke it on a somewhat regular basis, thanks.
>
>>when you're stoned, you are more aware of
>>things than ever before.
>
>Sorry, but that is such bullshit.

i have to agree. i live with a girl who's pretty much a pothead and she'd
probably take the same viewpoint as sara but we can see a lot of stuff she
doesnt see when she's high. its not that she acts all crazy or anything, but
still.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 1:45:14 PM4/13/03
>i have to agree. i live with a girl who's pretty much a pothead and she'd
>probably take the same viewpoint as sara but we can see a lot of stuff she
>doesnt see when she's high. its not that she acts all crazy or anything, but
>still.

Exactly.

My friends insist that smoking weed is better for you than smoking cigarettes.
Too bad smoking one joint is as bad for your lungs as smoking four (or maybe is
was seven?) cigarettes.

I've never gotten into any shit while I was high, because I would never let
myself leave the house. But I've known people who have fucked up really bad
while they we're high.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:10:54 PM4/13/03
>But the point is is it DOES happen and it can happen to ANYONE.

no, it can't happen to anyone. if you're 12 and barely have a sense of self, it
can happen to you. if you're 18 with a strong sense of self and conviction
about your ideals and beliefs, there is no chance. pot is not like alcohol,
where you lose a total sense of reality and can't control what you say and do.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:15:29 PM4/13/03

>I've never gotten into any shit while I was high, because I would never let
>myself leave the house. But I've known people who have fucked up really bad
>while they we're high.

i do too. but it still shouldn't be a criminal offense. pot is the kind of
drug, like beer (only much better in terms of control and moderation), which
can easily be done responsibly-- especially in terms of dosage. there is
absolutely no reason for alcohol to be legal if marijuana is illegal.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:23:45 PM4/13/03
>>when you're stoned, you are more aware of
>>things than ever before.
>
>Sorry, but that is such bullshit.

well it does have a different effect on different people, for sure. but the
fact that i would rather clean my room and do my homework when i get stoned
than sit around and talk about stupid things says something about the drug in
general. and the fact that i am absolutely not addicted at all and often refuse
and offer or go long bouts without smoking, and neither are the people i know
who partake-- except for one person, my friend tim, who has trouble taking long
breaks. and then there is my dad, and my grandfather, and my uncle (who died
from cirrhosis) who are all pretty much alcoholics, etc. it's an unjustice.
twelve year olds should not smoke marijuana; no one should drive on marijuana.

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 2:28:40 PM4/13/03

Sarandipidy wrote:
> no, it can't happen to anyone. if you're 12 and barely have a sense of self, it
> can happen to you. if you're 18 with a strong sense of self and conviction
> about your ideals and beliefs, there is no chance.

And who is the commercial targeted at?

Katie

Apr 13, 2003, 2:27:04 PM4/13/03
Yup. But I need the specific one with the video LMAO. I don't think they
sell them at Hot Topic. At least not at the Hot Topic here. I have the
little bean bag one though :)

~Katie

"All Natural Pam" <secr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 2:29:30 PM4/13/03
>pot is not like alcohol,
>where you lose a total sense of reality and can't control what you say and
>do.

Yes it is. Maybe you're just smoking some brown shit.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:29:00 PM4/13/03
>And who is the commercial targeted at?

obviously, the kids. but what i am saying is that the commercial is used to
keep people afraid and refute any claims that marijuana is safe enough to be
legalized.

Jumbi 85

Apr 13, 2003, 2:29:20 PM4/13/03
>Anybody have any favorite commercials

the doritos commercial w/ enrique iglesias. honestly, i die every time i see
it. its the one where enrique is singing and they show different girls in the
crowd...and then they show this black dude holding a bag of doritos...and he
looks to the left..and then to the right...

omg im like cracking up thinking about it

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 2:34:08 PM4/13/03

Sarandipidy wrote:
> twelve year olds should not smoke marijuana; no one should drive on marijuana.

Which is why I think pot should be legalized, as should prostitution.
If something is illegal, it's just illegal. One aspect of it is not
more illegal than any other aspect. If something is legal, you can
place restrictions and taxes and regulations on it. Marijuana can have
age restrictions and taxes much like cigarettes. Legal pot providers
can keep children away from it, and the tax money can go toward
something good. They can also keep tabs on the purity of what's out
there. With prostitution, if it was legal they could eliminate a lot of
the bad stuff that's involved. They could have clinics where
prostitutes could be regularly tested for STDs and given condoms for
their patrons to use, they could restrict prostitution to certain areas,
and they could do random drop-in checks to make sure that prostitutes
are using condoms and that those with STDs are no longer working.

--
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."

http://www.aeonian.org

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 2:31:59 PM4/13/03
>pot is the kind of
>drug, like beer (only much better in terms of control and moderation), which
>can easily be done responsibly--

But the problem is no one does it responsibly.

>there is
>absolutely no reason for alcohol to be legal if marijuana is illegal.

Maybe because weed is more harmful? Just a thought.

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 2:36:33 PM4/13/03

Lady Don wrote:
> >there is
> >absolutely no reason for alcohol to be legal if marijuana is illegal.
>
> Maybe because weed is more harmful? Just a thought.

Weed is like cigarettes plus alcohol, really. If adults choose to use
it, as they choose to use alcohol and cigarettes legally, I don't see
why they can't do it in peace.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:37:27 PM4/13/03
>Yes it is. Maybe you're just smoking some brown shit.

g13, orange crush, bumbleberry...not exactly schwag. while it certainly
*changes* reality, i don't lose control or sense of self, and i don't know
anyone who does. maybe you did, but i'd say that has more to do with you, and i
don't mean that in a bad way. just that it affects people based on their state
of mind.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:38:56 PM4/13/03
>They could have clinics where
>prostitutes could be regularly tested for STDs and given condoms for
>their patrons to use, they could restrict prostitution to certain areas,
>and they could do random drop-in checks to make sure that prostitutes
>are using condoms and that those with STDs are no longer working.

i was actually going to add that into the mini discussion on objectification. i
also think that prostitution should be legalized and regulated.

johanna of the spirits

Apr 13, 2003, 2:47:03 PM4/13/03
>the doritos commercial w/ enrique iglesias. honestly, i die every time i see
>it. its the one where enrique is singing and they show different girls in the
>crowd...and then they show this black dude holding a bag of doritos...and he
>looks to the left..and then to the right...

hahaha yeah i like that one too
Jo
MochaStudmuffin: i kept kissing her hand
MochaStudmuffin: then she kissed mine
MochaStudmuffin: we kept exchanging
MochaStudmuffin: like stock market

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:51:16 PM4/13/03
>But the problem is no one does it responsibly.

right....no one? that's a bit of an assumption, don't you think? you do realize
that adults, much like the way they have a glass of wine with dinner in the
privacy of their own home, can just as easily control their intake of
marijuana?

>Maybe because weed is more harmful? Just a thought.

so is mcdonalds-- both here and abroad. and cigarettes. "oh, but one joint= 4
cigarettes!" most people don't smoke a carton of joints a day, like some people
do cigarettes. and if they do, it's their body. and alcohol is still harmful--
ask your liver. oh yeah, and that industrial park down the street that is
allowed to pollute the air in your neighborhood (and if the clean air act is
ever passed, possibly even more) is also extremely harmful, and those toxins in
your body aren't even your choice. so is the clear channel monopoly-- to your
mind. and what about the pharmaceutical companies? you think all the side
effects from your medications don't indicate some sort of imbalance in your
body? if it was okay for them to give my grandfather a severe drug like ambien
or valium at 80 years old (which made him feel terrible), why is it not okay to
give dying cancer patients marijuana for pain relief? the pharmacuetical
companies have everyone on puppet strings. and so do the oil companies.

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 2:52:32 PM4/13/03
>>>Because kids and young teens will soon grow up to find out that that kind
>of
>>>thing rarely ever happens because of marijuana use.
>
>But the point is is it DOES happen and it can happen to ANYONE.

You'd have to smoke one hell of a lot of pot to pull the trigger of a gun, and
most teenagers who could afford that are probably onto bigger and better drugs
by now. But regardless, those things *don't* happen often enough to be
relatable. People watch those commercials and laugh because they all know a
million and twelve people who've smoked for years and never had *any* sort of
serious problem, let alone running over a small child. It's the same theory
involved in the underage tobacco smoking commercials... You can't stress
eventual lung disease and have it hit everybody ~ How many kids are really
going to let something that might happen in 50 years affect their decisions
now? People who tan don't often let the thought of melanoma plague them. You've
got to concentrate on the things that happen commonly and pretty immediately,
or you're not going to have much luck getting your point across.

)( melissa *
http://www.livejournal.com/~cloudwoven

.and discard the evidence.
coheed&cambria+

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 2:59:33 PM4/13/03
>right....no one? that's a bit of an assumption, don't you think? you do
>realize
>that adults, much like the way they have a glass of wine with dinner in the
>privacy of their own home, can just as easily control their intake of
>marijuana?

Of course, and those people won't be the problem when you legalize pot. It's
the irresponsible ones - much like the people who drive drunk - who are going
to be harmful. We can't even control drunk driving; why in the world would we
want to add another issue into the mix?

Honestly, that's my only problem with the legalization of marijuana. No, it
isn't any different than alcohol being legal, but if we - as a society - can't
handle one, why add another? I'm a responsible driver, and it makes me nervous
enough to know that at any moment, some drunk asshole could severely screw me
over; I don't like the thought of having to worry about "some high asshole," as
well.

CaptMorgs21

Apr 13, 2003, 3:00:54 PM4/13/03

>>Yes it is. Maybe you're just smoking some brown shit.
>
>g13, orange crush, bumbleberry...not exactly schwag. while it certainly
>*changes* reality, i don't lose control or sense of self, and i don't know
>anyone who does. maybe you did, but i'd say that has more to do with you, and
>don't mean that in a bad way. just that it affects people based on their
>state
>of mind.

so why exactly do you smoke pot?

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 3:04:08 PM4/13/03

CaptMorgs21 wrote:
> so why exactly do you smoke pot?

To clean her room and get her homework done, obviously.

CaptMorgs21

Apr 13, 2003, 3:07:49 PM4/13/03
>Of course, and those people won't be the problem when you legalize pot. It's
>the irresponsible ones - much like the people who drive drunk - who are going
>to be harmful. We can't even control drunk driving; why in the world would we
>want to add another issue into the mix?
>
>Honestly, that's my only problem with the legalization of marijuana. No, it
>isn't any different than alcohol being legal, but if we - as a society -
>can't
>handle one, why add another? I'm a responsible driver, and it makes me
>nervous
>enough to know that at any moment, some drunk asshole could severely screw me
>over; I don't like the thought of having to worry about "some high asshole,"
>as
>well.

exactly! i agree. not everyone functions 'better' under the influence of drugs.
my housemate insists she's fine to drive when she's been smoking because she's
'more cautious' but theres been quite a few times when she's side-swiped stuff,
even just a little bit, and dented her car or jumped curbs because her judgment
isnt quite all there.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 3:08:52 PM4/13/03
>right....no one?

Sorry, I just noticed that typo. I meant to say "not very many people".

Anyway, I'm out of this debate.

> dying cancer patients marijuana for pain relief?

But one more thing, I never said anything about medicinal marijuana.

Okay I'm done. Peace.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 3:09:13 PM4/13/03
>Of course, and those people won't be the problem when you legalize pot.

personally, i don't even want to legalized. i just want it decriminalized, like
it is in canada and i believe new york, a few other places. they give you a
fine (unless you obviously have intent to sell, or any amount above the limit).
no court, no jail cell-- you just have to basically pay a fine for being out in
public (i.e. driving) and it is still illegal to sell. sounds great to me,
because i do have the same concerns as you do-- people are idiots. i mean, if
you were arrested as freshman in high school and charged with possession of
marijuana, you can't get federal aid for college-- period. you can't go to
college most likely then, even if you don't even smoke anymore. it's pretty
wrong.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 3:11:13 PM4/13/03
>You'd have to smoke one hell of a lot of pot to pull the trigger of a gun

Maybe I feel this way because I KNEW someone who killed a girl because he was
high.

It may not happen often, but it still happens. And it still happens too much.

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 3:13:04 PM4/13/03
> you can't go to
>college most likely then, even if you don't even smoke anymore. it's pretty
>wrong.

*nods* I agree with you; it's so common nowadays that people only need to be
punished for endangering others. If they want to do it, let them, what's the
big deal? It should be a personal decision... Unless, again, you're infringing
upon someone else's right to personal safety.

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 3:13:29 PM4/13/03
>Anyway, I'm out of this debate.

Why?

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 3:16:39 PM4/13/03
>so why exactly do you smoke pot?

adds a different perspective to the surroundings, see things in a new light,
makes music (and even food) into something completely new. perhaps its the
miles davis, the grateful dead, and the pink floyd, but damn it can turn sound
into a new experience entirely. in conversation, i often find myself thinking
of topics and points of view that it seems would not have emerged. i know
someone who has severe back problems and claims that the percosets do nothing--
and marijuana alleviates some of his back pain; but with me, for example, it
exaggerates pains that i have. it's different for everyone.

i don't smoke very much, might i add, except actually in the summer-- but i can
see the value in it. everything has a light and a dark side to it, you just
have to weigh the consequences in your head and decide on your own.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 3:17:17 PM4/13/03
>Maybe I feel this way because I KNEW someone who killed a girl because he was
>high.

what happened? unless you'd rather not discuss it.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 3:17:21 PM4/13/03

>>Anyway, I'm out of this debate.
>
>Why?

Because debates on AFH are poinltess. People just repeat themselves a billion
times and still no ones minds are changed, so everyone goes back and forth and
a few people will turn to personal attacks, until finally everyone gets bored
with the debate and gives up.

And I have homework.

lol But if you really want me to stay in, I will. :oP

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 3:16:58 PM4/13/03
>>You'd have to smoke one hell of a lot of pot to pull the trigger of a gun
>
>Maybe I feel this way because I KNEW someone who killed a girl because he was
>high.

If that's the case, then I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. On
the other hand, however, I *know* very, *very* many people who smoke pot 1-3
times every single night (I am literally one of two people in my pretty large
group of friends that do not smoke), and the worst problem any of them has had
has been not remembering a damn thing. What I'm saying is that if you want to
appeal to kids like that, who are the majority (in effect if not frequency),
you've got to make commercials that they can relate to.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 3:18:32 PM4/13/03
>my housemate insists she's fine to drive when she's been smoking because
>she's
>'more cautious' but theres been quite a few times when she's side-swiped
>stuff,
>even just a little bit, and dented her car or jumped curbs

yeah i knew someone like that too. she definitely drove a lot slower, but her
claims that she drove "better" were clearly a little mistaken.

Sarandipidy

Apr 13, 2003, 3:20:06 PM4/13/03
>Anyway, I'm out of this debate.

hehe why? sometimes i seem slightly more charged than i really feel about these
issues, so sorry if i offended you or something...debates like these keep me
from writing my conference paper.

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 3:20:03 PM4/13/03
>And I have homework.
>
>lol But if you really want me to stay in, I will. :oP

lol I was just curious... I won't try and twist your arm, especially if you
think it's just going to upset you in the end. :)

ElfLikeMe

Apr 13, 2003, 3:22:09 PM4/13/03
>>my housemate insists she's fine to drive when she's been smoking because
>>she's
>>'more cautious' but theres been quite a few times when she's side-swiped
>>stuff,
>>even just a little bit, and dented her car or jumped curbs
>
>yeah i knew someone like that too. she definitely drove a lot slower, but her
>claims that she drove "better" were clearly a little mistaken.

That's exactly how I feel! I had a friend who drove off the road and into a
snowbank while driving high, and I've got these other friends coming at me,
citing statistics as to why they're perfectly safe - if not better - drivers
after they've smoked. I called them all assholes for endangering other people
on the road, and that was it... It was like I'd started the third world war.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 4:31:09 PM4/13/03
>what happened? unless you'd rather not discuss it.

I wasn;t friends with the guy anymore when this happened, but it's freaky
because the girl he killed was my age. If I or my friend had kept hanging out
with him, it could have been one of us.

Anyway, he had this thing going on with this girl he had just met a few days
before. She was over at his house and they were messing around, and he's really
into S&M. They were high off their asses. He got carried away and strangled her
with like a rope or a belt or something (not sure).

Of course those things don't happen very often. But it happening once is
already it happenign too many times.

I also realize that there isn't any actual proof that he killed her because of
bad judgement because he was high, but it's extremely rare for people to murder
strangers for the hell of it.

In all the articles I read, the detectives working on the case pointed out
marijuana as the probable cause of him killing her.

Maybe he did kill her on purpose, but it's still also very possible that the
marijuana put him on the right "comfort" level, for lack of better words.

Also, this guy was in his mid twenties, so if it can happen to him, it can
happen to anyone at any age.

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 4:34:21 PM4/13/03
>and the worst problem any of them has had
>has been not remembering a damn thing.

Well yeah obviously dangerous things don't happen normally. But what else are
they gonna show kids? A bunch of people sitting around, laughing their asses
off, and having a grand ol' time?

Lady Don

Apr 13, 2003, 4:36:25 PM4/13/03
>I've got these other friends coming at me,
>citing statistics as to why they're perfectly safe - if not better - drivers
>after they've smoked.

My friend and her now ex boyfriend are like that. They will sit their and argue
until the end of the world why weed is good for you. But if you go online and
actually look it up, 99.9% of what they say is wrong. But they swear they're
right.

Nia

Apr 13, 2003, 4:48:19 PM4/13/03

Sarandipidy wrote:
> i mean, if
> you were arrested as freshman in high school and charged with possession of
> marijuana, you can't get federal aid for college-- period. you can't go to
> college most likely then, even if you don't even smoke anymore.

Uh, yeah right. Because lack of federal financial aid is keeping so
many people out of college.

--
"If you haven't tortured a rat, well, it's just not science."

http://www.aeonian.org

It is loading more messages.