Your animal alter ego/char.----why?

Rac Cooney

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and thought
you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
destructive monster. But the question is:

Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

Bob Nelson, Rac Cooney's Homepage
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/raccooney
look for the skiing raccoon

Rac Cooney

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Rac Cooney wrote in message

>Why did you choose that particular animal?
>That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

To answer the question I posed, in my own case: as I was
growing up and saw how much I loved cartoons, I began
admiring foxes most of all,due to their looks, intelligence,
and wit.But I also began to like raccoons more and more.
Raccoons have their own reputation as a masked bandit,
and I love their mask, ringed tail, and colors.

I didn't see all that many cartoon characters who were raccoons, but when I
discovered Yerf and some other furry stuff on the Web, I saw there were many
fellow raccoon fans out there!

Some people who have drawn raccoon characters make them look more like the
actual animal (on four legs, not
two,etc.) but my character, Rac Cooney, is more anthro/
cartoonish.Click below to meet him:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/raccooney/images/hellorac2.gif

Bob "Rac Cooney" Nelson

Ben Bruin

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
In article <7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,

"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest:
OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?

> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

Actually, at first I picked a fox...but after seeing how many foxes
there were in this fandom, I decided to go with something a LITTLE
less common.

--
Two rules:
1)never stand behind a cow......

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DawnWolf

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
>have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
>or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
>That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>

>Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

For me it is wolf, and I "picked" wolf because, in February, when I
first heard of the phenomenon that is furry, and read a couple of web
sites about it, a wave of longing to _be_ an anthropomorphic wolf
crashed over me.

Yes, that sounds unstable. Yep, I did develop doubts as to my mental
health, too.

These days, I'm OK with being a wolf. I have gotten used to it. It
ain't half-bad :o)

So ... did I choose my animal, or did it choose me? That's for the
spiritualists to decide. Me, I'll go and annoy my neighbours with
howling :o)

DawnWolf

XIP the Kangy

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Rac Cooney wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>

> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
> And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
> personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
> destructive monster. But the question is:
>

> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.
>

> Bob Nelson, Rac Cooney's Homepage
> http://www.angelfire.com/ma/raccooney
> look for the skiing raccoon

Well, I chose a kangy for three reasons-
1) I just like the look of them
2) They're pretty uncommon(or so it seems)
3) Physical characteristics as in greater leg strength than arm strength

XiP the kangy

Fur Peace- “Can’t we all just get along?”
“A person is smart, people are dumb,
panicky animals and you know it”--MiB

@865

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Since i don't take it too seriously, i've never worried about it too
much, but do sketch an occational furry version of myslef, ususally a
scruffy dog/coyote kind of thing, though occationally, it looks more
cat-like. Resecntly, I've done a Fehnnik version.
On the other hand, elements of Erma and other charaters have
autobiographical components.

Why, because i like it. And I'm Omega Dog in the social circle I find
myslef in.

ilr

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
I originally wanted my character to be half-Chameleon, half-Basilisk.
I had a pet Iguana at the time I decided to draw my character
and just decided to use him since he was a real life model.
RL models work so much better than photographs.
Oh, and my character's name is Isaac, not Ilr-the-iguana.

My first drawings of one of my other characters, a Female Wolf,
sucked. Then I got a real female Timber Wolf and the character
drawings have improved quite a bit. The RL one really makes
a nice companion too. A nice change from the Scaly who isn't
exactly warm and friendly. I just wish my wolf would shed like an
iguana, instead of one hair at a time.

--- i l r, the human

Alan \TriGem\ Kennedy

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Rac Cooney wrote:

> Rac Cooney wrote in message

> >Why did you choose that particular animal?
> >That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

I picked a wolf. Imagine that ;) Although, I went through some changes at
first. I originally started out as an anthro Cerebus, and realized that would
not be pratical. So, I was fiddling with the ideal of a cybernetic one, and was
totally trashed off my ass a few years back, when I was still new to the furry
scene and came up with ALOT of my story line in one night.

Amazing what a bit of weed and a bottle of bicardi 151 will do for your
creativity ;:)

ALso picked a wolf because I was told that my spirt animal was a wolf as well,
so why not go with what is watching over me? :)

--
Alan \\TriGem\\ Kennedy ICQ #8781052 www.furnation.com/trigem

*please excuse my snippynes, as I have went cold turkey*

88888888\/--\/ moc.liamtoh@megirt \/--\/ Reverse to Get email.88888888

Live hard, die young, and hope they do not have to cut a hole in your
casket for ya boner. - me.

Sade Unicorn

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
In article <7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest:
OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?

> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>
> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and
thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
> And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
> personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
> destructive monster. But the question is:
>
> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.
>
> Bob Nelson, Rac Cooney's Homepage
> http://www.angelfire.com/ma/raccooney
> look for the skiing raccoon

Sade began as a drawing. When I first descovered Furry, I decided to
try my hand at some sketches. The one I liked most was a drawing of a
semi-humanoid unicorn (walks on two feet and has hands). Soooo, I gave
her a name and a personality and, bada-bing bada-boom, here's Sade! Of
course it wasn't all that simple. I had origionally decided on a silver
fox with boots, but there's so many foxes out there already, I thought
it might get tedious. I also tried out an otter, but she was a little
too hyper-happy to fit my real personality, which is more withdrawn and
cautious.

--
~~SADE~~

"I must be free, for these eyes were ment for better things than tears."

Hangdog

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Rac Cooney <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com...

> > Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you

> > have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> > or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> > That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

I'm a mutt. Why? 'Cause that's what I am IRL: Polish, Irish, German,
Italian, Dutch, Scottish--maybe a little Welsh, depending on who was
stealing whose sheep at the time...

Besides, mutts tend to be healthier and more intelligent than purebreds:
hybrid vigour and all that ;o)

--Hangdog

rans...@au-au.extern.ucsd.edu

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> writes:

|> Why did you pick that particular animal?

<zen>
I don't know.
</zen>

--
"I want to lick your motherboard
Taste your scuzzy drive

John Urie

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99

Rac Cooney wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>

> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

My character Mercury 'Merc' Marten went through a lot of changes before I
finally decided on his species. Originally he was a skunk, but that species
has already been done so much, ( and so well ) that I was never particularly
comfortable with the idea. Then one day I happened to be in the Tigard Public
Library with a few minutes to kill and picked a book off the shelves entitled;
"The American Marten." On the cover was a Marten sitting a tree wearing the
closest thing to an amused expression that I've ever seen on a non-human
species. That led me to read everything that I could get my hands on about
Martens, and the more I read about them, the more I liked them. The rest is
history......

John
Urie

S.J.Laitila

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
>Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
>have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
>or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
>That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

Cougar. They are absolutely the most beautiful creatures, that have walked
on this earth. This cougar doesn't live in me, but it lives in the computer.
It really proves my theory, that people are different online, than in RL.

>And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
>personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
>destructive monster. But the question is:

That is almost correct. BlackNo1 is someone who really spits out, what I
have always wanted to say, but haven't really wanted.

Cerulean

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Quoth ilr:

>My first drawings of one of my other characters, a Female Wolf,
>sucked. Then I got a real female Timber Wolf and the character
>drawings have improved quite a bit. The RL one really makes
>a nice companion too.

Out of curiosity, how does one "get" a timber wolf? Seriously, are you
really able to keep one as a pet?

--
___vvz /( Absurd Notions is on! -> http://cerulean.st/absurdnotions/
<__,` Z / ( | Cerulean= | DC.D/? f s+ h++ Gm CB^P a $ d+++ l* g- e! i

Forrest

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci <bev...@netcom.com> wrote:
> an occational furry version of myslef, ususally a
> scruffy dog/coyote kind of thing, though occationally, it looks more
> cat-like. Resecntly, I've done a Fehnnik version.

Bizarre question: was there a reason why the artist-cat on Albedo 0 was drawn
to look so unhappy? Call me pathetic but the illo has faintly bothered me
ever since I got that issue.

ilr

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99

> >My first drawings of one of my other characters, a Female Wolf,
> >sucked. Then I got a real female Timber Wolf and the character
> >drawings have improved quite a bit. The RL one really makes
> >a nice companion too.
>
> Out of curiosity, how does one "get" a timber wolf?

You'd have to ask Vollmer that one. I don't know where he got his "Seirra".
(The mother) He never told me, and seemed unwilling to respond to
my last message to him.

> Seriously, are you
> really able to keep one as a pet?

Well, technically I shouldn't. It's a big gamble. Colorado still has
quite a few ranchers in its senate. Most residential communities
don't allow any wolf hybrids over 50%.
Denver Tree-hugger shmucks are slowly taking control of the state, but there
is still a bit of prejudice against large predators that have lived here before
the settlers came. They have decided to finally give Mountain Lions a break.
But Bears in Aspen
(Grizzlies) are still shot indefinitely if found raiding Trash Dumpsters. (I once saw
one raiding the dumpster I was trying to get to one day while working in
Aspen). For some reason, they are reintroducing Lynx Though. We have a
moderate Coyote problem so reintroduction of wolves would be excellent
but that all rests on the shoulders of the Yellowstone Project.
But it still sucks, Landowners with just horses will even shoot stray dogs.
I got shot at while crossing some guy's field. He had "Salt-shot".
Not lethal, but it stings like a bitch. My wolf would likely be shot if
she took off and went exploring.

I wouldn't suggest a Wolf OR a Large Iguana to most pet owners.
Can I gloat about her for a moment though? My "Sarlina" is smarter
than any mutt we've ever had. A window in my house had 2 tabs that
we pulled in to lift it. That's usually how we opened it, but she somehow
figured out the window could just be lifted without screwing with the tabs.
Made me feel stupid. She also loves to stand up. Every time she
sees me when she hasn't seen me in a while, she'll greet me in kind of a howling-
growl and jump up and rest her forearms on mine, trying to get eye-level.
But she won't try to lick my face or anything, which is good behavior IMO.
Sometimes she'll try to hug but mostly, she just likes to imitate us Bipeds.
Very well house trained too.
The only problems are that she plays Really rough. And wolves have
larger-than-average claws. She also acts like the Alpha Female in our
family and she's very strong. Anytime I take her collar or her leash
off and set it on a table, she'll try and get it and chew it apart because
she knows it's a device of restriction or authority. She'll even do the
same to my hands if she can get me down on the ground.
And the occasional leg-humping isn't very funny when you were shorts like
me and have plenty of scratch marks over 8 inches long.
(It should be noted that Iguana's also leave mean scratches and even
have a chemical irritant in their claws that can cause discomfort to
anyone without a built up dermal-immunity to it.)

But Over-all, Nothing could convince me to get rid of her. And if I ever
meet the guy I bought her from in person again, I'll give him another 100
bucks now that I'm makin' bank.
One day, she'll be as famous in this fandom as Amy Squirrel(if Eric allowed it ;).

--- i l r, praying for the future.

Cerulean

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Quoth ilr:

>One day, she'll be as famous in this fandom as Amy Squirrel(if Eric allowed it ;).

As long as that fame isn't for mauling you when you challenge her
dominance too strongly one day. Be careful, ilr; you are definitely
not running the show.

Doug Winger

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
<racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

[Snippage]

> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

Interesting question, that.

Oddly enough, I don't, really. I have/do run several alts on various
MUCKs, both for TP and other less savory activities, but tend to be me
with a bit added. You know; handsomer, smarter and better hu- Um...
anyway, a more idealized version of the stock model, with the occasional
sporty paint job.

As for characters from my sordid past... Oh, my. Let's see: The Strange
Dude from Detroit, Douglas Perigord-Jones (intercontinuum Explorer Third
Class), Officer Stepowski, Ving the Unkempt, A Sapient Pith Helmet
occasionally named Ambrose, Colonel 'Ironjaw' M'buto, <Burping noise> (A
small extraterrestrial with a thing for pizza), George Havershaw (a
were-poodle), Tim (Who has interesting conversations with God),
Gordie25624 (A nanite with a bad attitude), the 256,532 Dougs and several
hundred others that come and go (or came and went) as called for. The
listed ones above are the ones that keep returning to bother me. Many have
been put into play onine, as well, though they do tend to be shortlived.

It all came about from getting involved in gaming ("FEAR ME! I am GM,
and I have a strange sense of humor!" which was advice the the wise ones
took to heart) followed shortly by years of performing the bizarre
practice of writing interactively on BBS's and then commercial net
services. Thankfully, I seem to have finally grown out of it.

I only comment here as the closest I came to having a Totem was Douglas
Perigord-Jones, who started life as my clone in a gaming session and
immediately took on a life of his own, doing so in a rather creepy and
almost supernatural fashion. And yes, I have witnesses, though the story
is too long (and likely boring) to go into.

- Doug

-"...who'd WANT it?!"- A distraught Secretary of the Treasury after
discovering that the entire National Debt had mysteriously evaporated
overnight.

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <7n6m3v$tcf$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,

Because he was looking ahead to a long and arduios task? While i enjoy
doing art, the effort to do a complete comic story is more of a chore
that hasn't changed all that much in the sixteen year since i did the
original.

Weyfour WWWWolf (Urpo Lankinen)

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:36:18 -0400, Rac Cooney <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

I really don't know *why*.

I *somehow* got interested about wolves. I just can't remember the
things that led to them; I think I was just looking for information on
random subjects (CD-ROM was the hype word of the day, and I was
playing with a CD-ROM encyclopedia).

I somehow got emotionally attached - er, for the mundanes back there,
this means "liked 'em *a lot*" - to wolves. I really admired them as I
gradually got to know more about them... Then, later, I found
Furcadia, and given my interest in the creatures, my character was a
wolf. Later, the character kind of "crept" on me - and became a nice
mirror of my personality (that is, admittedly, sometimes kind of
lupine).

For more of my character background, see
http://www.iki.fi/wwwwolf/furry/wwwwolf.en.fi
(substitute .en. with .fi. for Finnish edition)
I also have posted more stuff about this to a.l.f ages ago:
http://www.iki.fi/wwwwolf/furry/furvey.txt

--
Weyfour WWWWolf (a.k.a. Urpo Lankinen), just another lupine technomancer
<www...@iki.fi> <URL:http://www.iki.fi/wwwwolf/> ICQ:4291042 -==(RGRNCA)==-

Dog

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Me? I draw Dog characters because I have always Loved dogs.

The Dogs are My People.To The Power Of The Pack!!!!!

Alan \TriGem\ Kennedy

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
ilr wrote:

> Well, technically I shouldn't. It's a big gamble. Colorado still has
> quite a few ranchers in its senate. Most residential communities
> don't allow any wolf hybrids over 50%.
> Denver Tree-hugger shmucks are slowly taking control of the state, but there
> is still a bit of prejudice against large predators that have lived here before
> the settlers came. They have decided to finally give Mountain Lions a break.

It is about the same here in ohio from what i have heard. A friend of mine had a
50/50 shepard wolf and was told to keep him tied up all the time. Really good
woof, but his parents wound up putting him down because they said he was
too mean?? Hardly.. all he watned to to do was play or hump your leg :P

> But Bears in Aspen
> (Grizzlies) are still shot indefinitely if found raiding Trash Dumpsters. (I once saw
> one raiding the dumpster I was trying to get to one day while working in
> Aspen). For some reason, they are reintroducing Lynx Though. We have a
> moderate Coyote problem so reintroduction of wolves would be excellent
> but that all rests on the shoulders of the Yellowstone Project.
> But it still sucks, Landowners with just horses will even shoot stray dogs.
> I got shot at while crossing some guy's field. He had "Salt-shot".
> Not lethal, but it stings like a bitch. My wolf would likely be shot if
> she took off and went exploring.

Heh.. well, fourtuently we don't have bear problems around here, but I saw at
a place where I frequent for bullets and gun supplies that there was a picture
of someone holding up a Fox that was HUGE. Ohh.. was I pissed, as it was
obivously some redneck showing off his prize. Don't get me wrong, I still
feel bad when deer are shot and the like, as well as turkeys and the same,
but foxes around these parts are SCARCE. I have only seen like 5 in my whole
23 years of living here :P and 2 have been roadkill. :P :P

Also, if someone took potshots at me, I would have to return fire, and it
would not be with rock salt, but the amor piercers I normally keep loaded
in my gun. ;) Nice rounds. Kill your enemies, kill your friends, and definatly
kill a car, tank, and probably a battleship with them ;) And... they are called
Wolf rounds, *smirk* Talk about a heated load. (yes, bad pun)

> I wouldn't suggest a Wolf OR a Large Iguana to most pet owners.
> Can I gloat about her for a moment though? My "Sarlina" is smarter
> than any mutt we've ever had. A window in my house had 2 tabs that
> we pulled in to lift it. That's usually how we opened it, but she somehow
> figured out the window could just be lifted without screwing with the tabs.
> Made me feel stupid.

My Soya tries to open the front door, but since she does not have a thumb
she can't get a grip on the door, otherwise she would easilly open it up.
She also tore up all the venetian blinds (the slats that you turn ones) when
I first got her, and shredded them as she liked to be ornrey and didn't like
being cooped up in the house when I was gone.

> She also loves to stand up. Every time she
> sees me when she hasn't seen me in a while, she'll greet me in kind of a howling-
> growl and jump up and rest her forearms on mine, trying to get eye-level.

Mine goes spastic and nearly goes epileptic when she hasn't seen me, and
her long whiplike tail goes to whacking you :P owies. Greyhound lenght tail,
but brushy like a husky. :P

> But she won't try to lick my face or anything, which is good behavior IMO.
> Sometimes she'll try to hug but mostly, she just likes to imitate us Bipeds.
> Very well house trained too.

*nods* Mine is trained as well, very ood though. When you say NO she turns
her head as if you are going to strike her. Although, she doesn't do it as bad
as I think her previous owners must have abused her or something. She also
gets flighty when you pull out a sword or s gun. She see's them or hears them
and she bolts to the other room. Smart dog, and proves that she was either
chased by them, or threated with them. So, whenever my friends are over and
we get out the weapons to clean or practice with, I shoo her into the other room
so she doesn't get spooked.

> The only problems are that she plays Really rough. And wolves have
> larger-than-average claws. She also acts like the Alpha Female in our
> family and she's very strong.

*nods* Get mine around another dog, and she is the top bitch, that is for sure :)

> Anytime I take her collar or her leash
> off and set it on a table, she'll try and get it and chew it apart because
> she knows it's a device of restriction or authority. She'll even do the
> same to my hands if she can get me down on the ground.

Heh.. mine, if she hears my keys, or hears somethign with a metal chinking
sound such as a leash she goes nuts as it usually means she is going out.
She shears me pick up my keys and runs to the door and begs to go for
a ride with me. It is cool, as she just drools all over my windows when I have
them rolled down for her. :)

> And the occasional leg-humping isn't very funny when you were shorts like
> me and have plenty of scratch marks over 8 inches long.

Lucky you ;) I just get scratched, without the leg humping :P 70lbs of
claw pouncing you and attacking your socks is not funny :P

> (It should be noted that Iguana's also leave mean scratches and even
> have a chemical irritant in their claws that can cause discomfort to
> anyone without a built up dermal-immunity to it.)

Really? My friend Dan had or still has (havent seen him in ages) an Iguana
and he is the coolest lizard. He used to make a fuss int he cage whenever
we used to smoke a joint or so. Then when you blew the smoke at him, he
would calm down and I would swear he had a shit eating grin on his scaly
lttle face. Iggy (the iguana, and my friend was not known for good names)
would hump at the log in the cage when he wanted attention, or he wanted
some smoke. Is making a humping or gyrating type motion a normal thing
for Iguanas? He is now about 3 years old,a nd last I saw him was about a
yar ago and from nose to back hips mesured about 7-9 inches.

> But Over-all, Nothing could convince me to get rid of her. And if I ever
> meet the guy I bought her from in person again, I'll give him another 100
> bucks now that I'm makin' bank.

I seen a male version but a bit more brown then my woof, and I almost
fainted at the wheel when i saw him. I gained a few cool points and macked
on the girl who was leading him, but lost them later when I was like
picking my nose or something ;)

> One day, she'll be as famous in this fandom as Amy Squirrel(if Eric allowed it ;).
>

> --- i l r, praying for the future.

Yah.. I hope my Soya the $6.66 wonderpup is the same thing. ;)

88888888\/--\/ moc.liamtoh@megirt \/--\/ Reverse to Get email.88888888

Alan \\TriGem\\ Kennedy ICQ #8781052 www.furnation.com/trigem

FCWcs2amr A+ C+ D+ H+ M++ P+ R+++ T+ W Z Sm++ RLAT a23 cdn++++ d++ e+ f+ h iwf++ j++ p sm+

http://www.vulpine.pp.se/cgi-bin/furcode Decode My Code.

tamar_...@my-deja.com

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,

"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK,
you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>
> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and
thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
> And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
> personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
> destructive monster. But the question is:
>
> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.
>
> Bob Nelson, Rac Cooney's Homepage
> http://www.angelfire.com/ma/raccooney
> look for the skiing raccoon

Well I created Tamar Prower the Ebony Leopard as a play off of my friend
and comic partner Malcolm Earle who goes by Max the Black Rabbit.
Through e-mail conversations of him ending his letters with "Max the
Blackrabbit" I asked him the same question you're asking and though it
would be fun to make my own. Why Ebony Leopard? Well, on my first week
as a college RA and doing rounds on campus at night I happened to be
wearing all black and the other RAs said I would jump out of the bushes
like a black cat. I like the idea, and need a character for a new
college strip I was doing anyway so I made a visual to go with the name
(see yerf).

Ebony Leopard to be different, I'm sure black panther is used a lot
anyway, but hadn't noticed anyway using that word combination. The name
Tamar came about cause it was a possible name that my parents rejected
of giving me, but I liked it.

Do I have anything in come with the character? In some ways. I do tend
to be very independent (as we know all cats are) and well the color
thing just seemed natura. ;) But over all, it's just for fun. Nothing
serious as far as thinking I'm really a black panther in a human body or
anything, he's just a cool character to draw and do comics for that I
can express myself with (especially since I don't muck.)
--
Ebony Leopard
http://www.yerf.com/howashaw

S.J.Laitila

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
>Out of curiosity, how does one "get" a timber wolf? Seriously, are you

>really able to keep one as a pet?

From what I've heard, they make even better pets than dogs.

Melissa 'Skunk' Drake

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Well, it was mostly an accedent.
Originally, I used several things, such as a wolf and a badger. I'm not
terribly agressive, so I eventually picked the least aggresive mustalid
who was also fat: the skunk
(it was later found to be not a mustalid, but I digress)
I was always just Melissa Drake when someone started refering to my
drawings as Mel Bunnies and Mel this and that (because I sign my name
as mel)
The 'Mel Skunk' came from that.
It's basically me. I don't think of my tail or my ears or spraying or
super skunk powers, whatever.

--
--melskunk--
!FurCode !Cute Lyrics !Webpage URLS

ilr

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99

> [Snippage]

> > Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.
> >

> Interesting question, that.
>
> Oddly enough, I don't, really. I have/do run several alts on various
> MUCKs, both for TP and other less savory activities, but tend to be me
> with a bit added. You know; handsomer, smarter and better hu- Um...

Lol. Speaking of which, what were the influences for the likes of
Pandora, Circe, Violent Vixen, and a few others that aren't coming to
mind at the moment? Pets? Weird People? Shmoke-a-ma-Shwaggies?

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <7n7tvq$n77$1...@tron.sci.fi>,
From credible sources, they are actually very difficult to care for well,
often are very unhappy, need a lot of attention, and often don't adapt
well to captivity/domestication.
Though it is "real cool" to own one, to do it right takes more time and
effort, as well as specialized skill and experiance, than most wannabe
owners would actually be willing to give the effort. From the quantity of
wold and wolf-hybrds that get destroyed or turned over to rescue
organizations, it seems the odds are very much against the poor beasties.

John Van Stry

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <7n85go$b...@dfw-ixnews14.ix.netcom.com>,

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci <bev...@netcom.com> wrote:
This credible source thinks your credible sources are full of it.
There are a lot more wolves living happily in the hands of private
owners, then in the hands of sanctuaries, quite a few of whom will
tell stories so they can get more money out of people for thier bills.
(also lets face it, as a rule sacntuaries don't get asked to help
with animals in good situations that don't need homes right?
Emergency room nurse syndrome).

-Banner

--
All Junk Mail, Solicitations, sales offers or any other Unsolicited
E-mail shall be considered an agreement by the sender to pay me 100

Chris Johnson

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
<racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
> And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
> personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
> destructive monster. But the question is:
> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

My 'character' as a human has many things in common with the stereotype
of felines of all kinds- indeed, with cats in general, not merely with the
stereotype of them.
In particular, I grew up with (for various reasons) a feeling that
people, 'humans', were expected to be a certain way, and I was lacking.
However, I made a pretty good cat- so I found myself identifying with cats
by way of seeking a more positive selfimage. That's why I don't think in
terms of 'characters', just 'nicks' to encapsulate different qualities I
have.
The original 'identification' with cats came on a deeper level than
rationality. In hindsight I can see that I identified with aloofness, with
an edgy skittishness cats sometimes have, with their quiet and dignified
manner of seeming not quite of this world- but at the time I just _felt_
the kinship, and accepted it without being able to explain it to anybody.
I am pleased to have learned enough about it, and about myself, to be
able to make sense of that original feeling, but it would still be part of
me even if I hadn't figured out where it came from.

Jinx_tigr
(aka Chris Johnson)

ilr

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

> This credible source thinks your credible sources are full of it.

Aaaaaiiiigghhhh!!! The Emperor is full of it!?!? What will
become of our kingdom?? *runs around panic stricken* ;)

Heh, heh. Actually, I can attest that it is very difficult to properly
raise one of these beasts. I had many discussions with my psychology
teacher and he helped out where he could. The most helpful info was
"Pack Social Behavioral Conditioning". Most domestic dogs can be
trained by command and positive/negative reinforcement. Domestic
dogs don't understand punishment very well(especially younger ones)
and this is where most dogs are trained incorrectly and abused.
I had very minimal success with this kind of training(positive/negative)
on my wolf. However, Punishment was the only obedience my Mother seemed
to know, but even as a young pup, Sarlina seemed to respond pretty
well. I've found that Social Pack etc. works much better. If she's
bugging me, I'll follow her and see what she wants, but if it's something
I don't believe she needs or has earned, I'll return to my seat and growl
the next time she starts to bug me. If she was getting into something, I'll
wait till she's done hiding(because she's very aware of when she's been bad).
Then I'll try to catch her in the middle of what she's doing and "play attack"
which involves putting most of my body above her shoulders and back,
"nipping" at her neck and growling until she lays down in the classical
submissive stance. This all can take hours every day it seems. She
has a lot to learn but definitely seems to have the mental capacity.
Some times she just wants to be bad and more discipline is applied with
a lot of positive reinforcement later just for sitting in one place or not
opening boxes, doors, or other junk for more than 10 minutes.

Sometimes, as can be expected in any hierarchy, she'll growl back
and try to pin me, but she'll need to gain about 40 more pounds(I'm 140)
before she'll ever get close to kicking my ass. The injuries are small,
and worth it IMO to have more than just a Exotic Trophy Animal that does
what ever the hell it wants.

I'd imagine refused wolves are quite common, most people I know
have trouble taking care of house plants.

--- i l r, whose got 3 big plants(don't tell the DEA.)

Timothy Fay

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Steve speaks the truth. Wild animals are best left in the wild.

For a very good discussion on the topic (from a person who has
actually owned a wild pet) check out:

http://www.ozfoxes.com/aafoxes.htm#Pets

-Tim
--
http://www.umn.edu/~fayxx001/

"Hey, ho -- let's go!" -Ramones

khr...@my-deja.com

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK,
you

> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

I have two alter-egos, actually... my 'public persona' and my avatar.

Micole was one of my earliest creations, a white weasel with a black
tipped tail. I might have seen a nature story about ermine but I have no
memory of what actually caused the initial creation. Like ermines, I am
small, quick, and can take on things much bigger than I am. I am also
curious, almost to a fault, and I have the 'bad' habit of moving quietly
without trying. Micole is my public persona because after 18 years
people associate her with me, regardless of whether or not I chose her
to *be* me. ;3

My avatar, on the other hand, is deliberate... while I love cougars, I
didn't want to draw one as me because of some assumptions made that I
was following someone's idea. I chose lynx... lynxes are a rarity to see
in fandom as well as in the real world, they are a feline with a very
short tail which makes them distinctive, and lynx rhymes with my name. I
am sort of feline in my mannerisms and I was raised by a cat, so this
makes sense. ;3

-- ermine
==================================
home email: KhromatAtInOrbitDotCom

Dalia

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Hihi. :)

Well, I became a Clydesdale in a really round about way. I used to be a member
of NERO (The New England Role-playing Organization), a live action RPG.
Through NERO I had my first non-Disney/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle experience
with furries, though even then I hardly new that was a fandome for this.

Two of the races at NERO are furs, the Sarr (large hunting cat morphs) and the
Scavengers (Every other real life animal you could want to play). I loved
these two races because it was so fun to do the players make up and their
costumes could be so cool. One of my friends played a White Tiger Sarr and
sent me to his web site so I could see where he got his mask. (Really cool half
face foam latex mask that allowed freedom to move your lower jaw.) His web
page was attached to the fur ring and it was all down hill from there. ;)

When I first logged onto Furry Muck I thought it was soo cool. Here were all
the races you could ever want to be with out the limitations of RL costuming or
NERO rules. :) As a wandered around as a lowly guest I saw countless foxes,
wolves, skunks, tigers, and other hunting cats.

I wanted to be different, but still have someplace to belong. When I noticed
Equine Central, and the lack of Equines in the park, I thought, yes, horse!
(Oh for those days of innocence. :)) It was also a species that would could
not be pulled off very easy at NERO, so I was happy for the chance to play one
on the muck. :) I choose Clydesdales because they so beautiful with their huge
powerful bodies and gentle demeanor. They've always been a favorite of both my
mother's and I.

So there you have it in the long and drawn out way that I tend to do things.
;) If you are still reading this, then I thank you for your time.

Smiles,
Dalia

Mel. White

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Actually, what I've discovered is that your "totems"/"significant
animals" may change during your lifetime. Your needs and environment
may dictate a change of totem. I went from cat (during a phase when I
was very lonely but a very solitary person) to Chinese dragon (as I was
learning to be more sociable; a period when my luck REALLY changed for
the better) to Coyote (good luck was nice, but what I really needed was
wild creativity. Coyote was a good totem for those years.
Unfortunatly, he's a bit of a scatterbrain and the creative energies can
come unfocused) to Lion (during a period when I needed great emotional
strength) to Gryphon and then Centaur.

Sticking with just one totem is appropriate for some people. My
philosophy, though, is taken from the shamanic traditions that I've
studied for so many years (Central American shamans were called the
"Masters of Animals" and they would take forms not only of their tribes'
totems but would also take other forms as needed).

When you have a complex situation, sometimes you need to consult a
different aspect than the one that usually gives you answers.

========= Mel. White's Token Sigfile =============
Da Weekly Wildscaping Article
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/wildscaping

Sam Siam Gaming Guides (moved from Geocities)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/melwhite

Finished assignment: Romance E-book cover
http://members.xoom.com/adragon/cover2.htm

Wanderer

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Rac Cooney wrote in message
<7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

(snip)

>Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

Hmmm ... to be honest, I was wolfish before I ever knew the 'Net.:) Even in
a transformation-based movie idea I once started writing out, I got changed
into a wolf-type. It's just a part of me.:)

To be fair, I admire wolves' behavior. The loyalty, the friendliness, the
love, the curiousity, the fact that somewhere a wolf got a liverwurst
sandwich ... ;>

Their looks are marvelous, too. That scruffy, yet handsome look of
grey-and-black fur, that flaring brush of a tail, that expressive face ...

<shrug> But mainly, it's just me.:)

Yours with a wagging tail and a lolling tongue,

The wolfish,

Wanderer**wand...@ticnet.com
Where am I going?I don't quite know.
What does it matter where people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow.
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I*don't know!

S.J.Laitila

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
>> From what I've heard, they make even better pets than dogs.
> You're joking aren't you......? Well, you _are_, right?
> If you're not, you really need to listen to someone else. There
>is a reason dogs are called a domesticated animals and wolves are called
>wild animals. EVEN with hand raising and human socialization they will
>not do as a pet

It was a book related to animals. It's the most reliable sorce of
information I can think of at the moment. The part is written by
someone who's had a wolf as a pet.

Wanderer

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
Dalia wrote in message <3798ADC3...@bbn.com>...

(snip)

>costumes could be so cool. One of my friends played a White Tiger Sarr and
>sent me to his web site so I could see where he got his mask. (Really cool
half
>face foam latex mask that allowed freedom to move your lower jaw.)

(snip)

Well, where'd he get it? Don't leave us in suspense!:)

Yours wolfishly,

The theatrical,

Dalia

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99

Wanderer wrote:

> Well, where'd he get it? Don't leave us in suspense!:)

Hee hee. :) Sorry about that. :) If you go to http://www.anthro-morphs.com/ ,
that's the main page. Click the Lyonshell studio's link, or go directly to
http://www.anthro-morphs.com/lyonshel/index.html . Either site is really cool.
:)

Dalia

sola...@don'tmesswithtexas.net

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK, you
>have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character who may
>or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?

My primary, and probably best-known "alternate", is a rabbit named
Kerja Allegan. Why a rabbit, and why female, I have no real idea; she just
came to me one day in one of those inspirational-flash things. :) Up until
that time, whenever I'd drawn a cartoon version of myself I'd always drawn
a (male) mouse, which I suspect traces directly back to a strong "Secret of
NIMH" influence (and probably to the original Robert C. O'Brien book before
that)...
"Fool! You have just signed the universe's death warrant!"

"I did? Uh... gee, I don't know if I'm authorized to sign that..."
solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net (Gary Akins jr.)
http://lonestar.texas.net/~solarfox

J.M.L.

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
I'm a coyote. No, really I mean it! Far from the typical Furry
wistfulness to be something else, I've taken the next logical step in
becomming what my ancestors once deified. So, a few days out of the week,
I drive through the Mexican/American border and smuggle back in a few
immigrants in my very big van. Yes, I'm striving to be the very best
coyote ever.

Most of my friends are jackals.

--
-- "Happiness is a deaf wolf".
http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~hutch/hal/HAL/Talk.phtml

FeralKatt

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
In article <7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,

"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest:
OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>
> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and
thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.

I'm a cat person. Sand cats (felis margarita) are small--and okay,
let's face it, cute--but feisty. Also, they like hot weather. They
also are somewhat revered by certain Muslim denominations because
(according to a legend) a sand cat saved Mohammed's life during the
Hegira by catching little desert birds for him to eat.

-FeralKatt

--
If you have nothing to
say, it doesn't help to

Dog

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
I`m a werecanine so to me creating canine characters comes natural.I
don`t draw them simply because I like them but because they are a part
of me.I AM canine and if I were to lose my canine side I would die.

Jennifer Uberskunk

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
I'm new to this group, so this is the perfect post for me to respond to. :)

I chose a skunk because they're fluid, graceful and have that wonderful
means of defense. Does anyone mock a skunk? Nope. ;)

My alter-ego embodies that playful, hyper, and confident side of me.

- S.

Arcainine

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
In article <7n4sq9$3vhs$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest:
OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?
>
> Do you like the looks of that animal?Do you admire their behavior or
> reputation?Maybe you had one (especially a cat or dog) as a pet and
thought
> you'd translate that pet into an alter ego or character.
> And maybe your character is the opposite of you and your tastes and
> personality--like you may be a gentle person but your character is a
> destructive monster. But the question is:
>
> Why did you pick that particular animal?Just curious.

What a truly excellent question!!

Shortly after learning about the existence of FurryMUCK. I decided that
I would design a character for play in that game. Little had I
realized what kind of task I had undertaken. ;)

My character's name is Arcainine. He is a bipedal Wolf/Husky hybrid
(think: anthro Wolfdog).

Because I am very new to this community (the Furry fandom, that is), my
character is still in development, but I can give some particulars...

I wanted a character that I could easily relate to. I can't remember a
time that I didn't appreciate Wolves for their grace and beauty( I've
seen the movie: "Never Cry Wolf", more times than I can count), so I
thought my character had to be a Wolf.

But wait a second, after visiting multiple Furry websites I began to
see a pattern emerge; there was quite a few Wolf-types out there
already. I wanted my character to be somewhat unique, so I decided to
shift gears. Note: At this point I thought I should have a name for my
character.

My next thread of thought was: "What kind of cartoon character do I
like the most?" The answer was "Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius)".
However, It did not take long for me to realize, that I felt no real
connection to Coyotes. The idea was abandoned.(At this point, I had a
couple of names worked out, but none "clicked")

I have owned many cats, how about a cat-morph? After all, I was born
in the Chinese year of the Tiger. Nope, no "click".

How about a Husky-morph? I would like to own a Husky (if I could
afford the room). I've always liked how they physically resemble
wolves. Again, no "click".

Dragon? I have always admired them, but didn't occur to me (until much
later) that I could be a "furry" dragon. Besides, I don't care much for
flying. So, I would have made a poor dragon. *Sigh*

So, I was kind of stuck for ideas. That was until I saw a re-broadcast
of the movie, "Balto" on Cartoon Network. I could relate to Balto's
plight (before he became a hero-dog, I mean). I saw parallels to what
he had to endure, to what I've had to put up with almost everyday.
*small "click"*

OK. So, now I had a physical model for my icon. A Wolfdog. But now
what? I was stuck again. I needed some kind of inspiration for the
personality of my character. I thought it would help, if I could come
up with a name.

It wasn't long before I found myself in a bookstore, browsing for books.
One of my interests is the Pokemon TV show (but not the games...sorry
fans!). I was looking through Pokemon books, in an effort to find a new
Web-handle for my brother, something other than "Hermitcrab". This is
when I stumbled across the name "Arcanine". I thought: "That's it! Ar-
Kay-Nine. Cool! That's a great name!" But no, I could not bring myself
to name my character after a Pokemon (I had my reasons). So, I put the
development of my icon on hold for a short time.

Many days later, in the same bookstore, I came across another Pokemon
guide. For no particular reason, I decided to look at the entry for
Arcanine again. As I looked it over, I noticed that there was a
pronunciation key for the character's names. To my surprise, I had
gotten it wrong. It wasn't "Ar-Kay-Nine", it was actually, "Ar-Kah-
Nine"! *CLICK* I was thrilled! Finally, I had a name I could use.

It did not take long for me to begin developing his background (this
occurred in a matter of minutes, the muse was that strong). First, by
breaking down the name to its basic elements: arcane(=mysterious, he
would be a "Mage"), and canine (well, that's self-explanatory).
Second, by applying various elements from stories that I've been
exposed to throughout my life.

...And the rest will be history (that is, if the doomsayers are proven
wrong, and this fandom holds together).

Thanks for the great question Rac Cooney! My reply was a little long
winded, but I did not want to pass up an opportunity to exercise my
fledgling, writing skills.

--
"There will be Peace in our time".
--Arcainine

Leonard Lion

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
<<"Rac Cooney" <racc...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest:
OK, you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?>>

I have been wrestling with that question for some time now, and I haven't come
up with a satisfactory answer yet ... but here are some of my unsatisfactory
ones:

A) Recurrent lion motifs that struck a chord in my psyche.

I was a major "Kimba" devotee when I was only yay tall. I enjoyed the other
shows that were on (I'm the only person I know who remembers "Marine Boy"), but
Kimba was the one that always captured my imagination. Later, I found "Leo the
Lion" (Kimba as an adult) and fell over with shock. The animation was choppy,
the stories were goofy as all get out, and some of the ideas presented were,
uh, "less than enlightened." But the artwork was beautiful, and sent me into a
complete lion-oriented fit. I drew lions, got myself a lion blanket, created a
whole "Lion Master" cult as the central religion to my FRP world, and so on.

B) I've always been fascinated by royalty.

It's conceit I suppose, but I prefer to wear royal blue and royal purple, write
fantasy stories about royalty, and so on. And lions are often referred to as
the king of the beasts, so naturally...

C) Mannerisms and appearance

My wife in particular has commented about how I often seem like "a great big
cat." And I used to have a big batch of long red-brown hair and a floofy
red-brown beard, which I liked to flatter myself into thinking made a passable
mane.

D) It just sorta fit

Nobody would find the idea of me as a chihuahua (for example) the slightest bit
convincing. Me as a lion works. (I've had people identify me as a bear, but I
don't see it, myself. I know some people who are bears, and there is a quantum
difference between us.)

These are all aspects of my choice, but none of them are the One, True Reason.
Sadly, I don't know what that reason is, just yet.

BTW, This is all a subset of a furvey I'm putting together for those who are
interested in such things, but it isn't ready for the eyes of the world yet.
Stay tuned for further details...

--Leonard Lion, owner and proprietor of The Watering Hole
http://members.aol.com/leonrdlion -- My homepage, such as it is
http://www.suburbanjungle.com -- The life, loves, and career of aspiring
supermodel and ferocious predator, Tiffany Tiger.

J. J. Novotny

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Rac Cooney wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has ever asked this, but it may be of interest: OK,
> you
> have a furry alter ego or maybe developed a furry cartoon character
> who may
> or may not be like you. Why did you choose that particular animal?
> That fox, raccoon, wolf, bird, dog, cat, or so on?

My "personal furry" (or whatever it should be called) is the
cougar/puma. I don't use it much anymore, but it kinda represents me
with a new coat of paint. I like the animal (felines are far and away my
fave animals, and the cougar is awesomely admirable), and I'm kinda
catlike in body and personality. So it was an obvious choice. My Mom's
side of the family comes from the desert, so that's another point of
connection.

Nowadays I just post under my "real" name ... well, my initials, and I
don't act too catlike on-line, so my alter feline is kinda dormant.
Maybe it's sleeping. :)

Best;
J. J.

J. J. Novotny

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
FeralKatt wrote:

> I'm a cat person. Sand cats (felis margarita) are small--and okay,
> let's face it, cute--but feisty. Also, they like hot weather. They
> also are somewhat revered by certain Muslim denominations because
> (according to a legend) a sand cat saved Mohammed's life during the
> Hegira by catching little desert birds for him to eat.

Arabs in general get along great with cats. :) Dogs are seen as unclean
by traditional Muslims and they can't stay inside the house, so cats
fill the vacuum as pets. As a general rule, Cats rule the Mediterranean
countries. They have the run of most towns and markets, and no one would
dream of telling them to get lost. See the Lonely Planet guide to Greece
to see a feline in "possession" of its house.

Best;
J. J.