What's still around / what's not

net.spy!

Mar 5, 1992, 12:34:28 AM3/5/92
Somebody asked about what anthropomorphic comics/fanzines were still
around (I don't have the post with me at the moment, so I can't
quote it). Anyway, during my Senior Software Design class, I wrote out
the following list of what I know. Disclaimer: everything is correct
to the best of my knowledge, but I'm not perfect. If I'm missing anything,
or have anything wrong, feel free to correct me.

Listed as comics first, then fanzines:

Still around:

New Albedo (Antarctic Press, quarterly. Next out: March)
Hepcats (Double Diamond Press, irregular. Next out: March)
Furkindred Magazine (MU Press, semiannually. Next out: soon)
Rhudiprrt, Prince of Fur (MU Press, bimonthly. Next out: ?)
Eye of Mongombo (Fantagraphics, irregular. Next out: ?)
Usagi Yojimbo (Fantagraphics, bimonthly. Next out: March)
Har*Har Comics (?, rarely. Next out: soon)
Furrlough (Antarctic Press, quarterly. Issue 2 came out Friday)
Omaha, Cat Dancer (Rip Off Press, irregular. Issue 17 came out Friday)
The Aniverse (Massive Comics Group, ?. Next out: ?)
Black Diamond Effect (?, bimonthly?. Next out: ?)
Champion of Katara (MU Press, bimonthly. Next out: March)
Yarf! (bimonthly/irregular. Next out: late March)
Everchanging Palace (LX. Ltd., irregular. Next out: before SDCC)
Furtherance (Ray Rooney, irregular/yearly. Next out: ?)
Bestiary (Bear and Cat, bimonthly/irregular. Next out: ?)
Gallery (Richard Chandler, quarterly. Number 9 came out last week)
Strossrupp (Ted Sheppard, irregular. Next out: ?)
Rossweisse (Ted Sheppard, irregular. Next out: ?)
Coyote (Laughing Coyote Press, irregular. Next out: ?)
Xtra Spicy Tails (El Funnimal, irregular/bimonthly. Next out: ?)
Furloose (Bear and Cat, irregular. Issue 5 came out January)
Dallas Brawl Update (Laughing Coyote, monthly. Next out: March)
Tai-Pan (?, ?. Next out: ?)
Touch (?, semiannually?. Next out: ?)
Intercepted (Kay Shapero, ?. Next out: ?)
Sleepers (Rock Soup, ?. Next out: ?)
Xenofon (yes, with an f. Colleen Winters, irregular. Issue 1 came out Feb.)
Brixoi (Ken Fletcher, irregular. Next out: ?)
Affurmative Action! (Dave Peyton, bimonthly. Next out: overdue)
Furplay (Mike Hirtes, ?. Next out: ?)

Upcoming titles:

Stinz, vol. 3 (Brave New Words, later this spring)
Zu (MU Press, later this spring)
Wild Kingdom (MU Press)
Shanda the Panda (MU Press)
Beauty of the Beast (MU Press)
X-Illo (Bill Levy)
The Fur's Gonna Fly (G. Raymond Eddy)
Refractions (Low Orbit)
Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks (MU Press - late as usual)

Questionable Titles:

Xanadu: Across Diamond Seas (still looking for a publisher after more than
two years. Lex is hell-bent on putting it out in color - a move which
will probably kill the title)
The Zoo (Scot Rhoads sez he's not working on it, for now.)
Centaur's Gatherum (Last issue came out in August, and Ed Pegg hasn't said
so much as a peep about this)
Red Shetland (GraphXPress is in real dire straits - I do not expect it to
survive for long)

On Hiatus:

Hey, Neeters! (Mike Sagara's making money with Revolutionary Comics, so
he's put this on hold)
Rowrbrazzle Showcase (no one in the 'brazzle organization seems to have time
to handle this.)

Dead titles:

long-gone:
Menagerie, Captain Jack, Critters, Morphs, Grunts, Space Ark.
Felicity (Tom Verre - one issue only)
Fusion (Eclipse)
Dreamery (Eclipse)
Equine (GraphXPress)
Mythagoras (for all intents and purposes)
Furversion (dead, dead, dead. One more issue will come out, sometime, with
old, submitted material, but that's it.)
Anthropomorphic Romance (issue six was the last)
Furnography (haven't heard a word about this in ages)
Q (Al Rainwater is apparently not acknowledging the existence of this 'zine,
nor his old name)
What's Michael? (saw in CBG that issue 3 was cancelled)

That's it!

Aleph Null, net.spy! | Personal: mh...@vm1.tucc.trinity.edu
aka Matthew High | Alternate: mh...@earth.geol.trinity.edu
Tyranny U., SA, TX | After 5/10: bn...@cleveland.freenet.edu
(512) 737-4890 | FurNet: NUL BBS 1:387/255 (512) 615-6851
------"49. In Albedo, warping too close to a gravity well results in...?"-----
------"Pregnancy." - Jim Drew.

Kay Shapero

Mar 5, 1992, 4:46:28 PM3/5/92
On <Mar 04 21:34>, "net.spy!" (1:103/208) wrote to All:

">Intercepted (Kay Shapero, ?. Next out: ?)

Monthly. Next out Volume 10, ish 2; the March issue, which should be
done and mailed out by the 8th or 9th of this month assuming the copier
behaves itself. The Electronic Intercepted is already out; in fact I
just file attached you one at Jan Maskaant's Nul bbs last night... Be
sure to ask him for it... (it's EIC.ZIP)

Kay.S...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

--

Kay Shapero
Internet: Kay.S...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Nicolai Shapero

Mar 5, 1992, 9:53:49 AM3/5/92
On <Mar 04 21:34>, "net.spy!" wrote:

">Still around:

">Intercepted (Kay Shapero, ?. Next out: ?)

The latest issue of INTERCEPTED is Volume 10 Number 2 (18 issue
volumes) and is being printed this week. Subscribers should have
their copies within six days. The next issue should be out and in
the contributors/subscribers hands by April 10th or thereabouts.

">Dead:

">Furnography (haven't heard a word about this in ages)

Bob & Brenda have been having a hard time of it lately. They lost
their truck, and are now totally without wheels (neither has a job,
either). There may be another issue, but it will likely be some
time (they have to get some money, first).

=Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org=

Nicolai Shapero
Internet: Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org
Compuserve: >internet:Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Richard Chandler

Mar 9, 1992, 5:11:39 PM3/9/92
In article <920304.2334...@vm1.tucc.trinity.edu>,
MH...@VM1.TUCC.TRINITY.EDU ("net.spy!") writes:
> Gallery (Richard Chandler, quarterly. Number 9 came out last week)

And the next one I'm Really Really gonna try and make my schedule and have it
out by the first week of March. By the way, no issue has been more than
three weeks late.

> Black Diamond Effect (?, bimonthly?. Next out: ?)

I'm told #4 has just come out. I managed to miss #3 though. I'm just
praying that eventually an issue will come out and the whole gestalt will
congeal and make sense in my head. Otherwise I may be wasting a lot of money.

--
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's safer to
harass rich women than biker gangs.

Fuzzy Fox

Mar 9, 1992, 6:52:03 PM3/9/92
mau...@intercon.com (Richard Chandler) writes:

>> Black Diamond Effect (?, bimonthly?. Next out: ?)

>I'm told #4 has just come out. I managed to miss #3 though. I'm just
>praying that eventually an issue will come out and the whole gestalt will
>congeal and make sense in my head. Otherwise I may be wasting a lot of money.

Let me know if it does start to make sense...then I can go back and pick
up the back issues, and curse myself for making the wrong decision of
dropping it.

--
Fuzzy Fox ...!uunet!rei2!fox
Also known as David DeSimone an...@cleveland.freenet.edu

"Shaka, when the walls fell."

John Alan Stanley

Mar 10, 1992, 8:16:59 PM3/10/92
In article <920304.2334...@vm1.tucc.trinity.edu> MH...@VM1.TUCC.TRINITY.EDU ("net.spy!") writes:
}Still around:

}
}Touch (?, semiannually?. Next out: ?)

Touch (Mark Merlino, 3 times a year, Next out: BayCon '92)

And! Issue two is now available, with stories by Watts Martin, Jefferson
Swycaffer, Ann Franci, and Frank Gembeck. Illustrations by Ken Sample,
Brian O'Connell, Terrie Smith, Frank Gembeck, Noah Miller, Bill Fitts, and
Scott Alston. For ordering information, send me some E-mail, or contact us
at:

Interspecific Press
PO Box 1958
Garden Grove, CA 92642

Thanks for mentioning us, Aleph!
JAS
--
John Alan Stanley ConFurence Three Art Show Coordinator
jo...@ontek.com _Touch_ Staff Member