Upcoming Furry Comics for August 2003

Doodles

Jun 2, 2003, 5:30:02 PM6/2/03
Hi ho, boys and girls! Another month has passed and it's time again for the
list of what will be coming out in comics, based on the Diamond Previews
catalog.

pg 22
DARK HORSE
Hell #2 - $2.99 - order #JUN030017
The story continues as Corey battles his way across the island, trying to
find and save his father, and escape the nightmare he's fallen into.

pg 30
Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey #4 - $2.99 - order #JUN030029
Sock Monkeys in love.

pg 37
What's Michael #5 - $8.95 - order #JUN030065
The latest collection of Makoto Kobayashi's tales about a crazy orange tabby
and the numerous strange incarnations he handles. Always recommended.

pg 99
DC COMICS
Looney Tunes #105 - $2.25 - order #JUN030208
In this issue, Pepe goes a-courtin', the Three Bears get Daffy Duck and Bugs
gets Elmer to take a museum tour.

Scooby-Doo Dollar Comic - $1.00 (NO SHIT?) - order #JUN030210
A cheap reprint of Scooby-Doo #1.

pg 100
Scooby-Doo #75 - $2.25 - order #JUN030211
Starting this issue, the comic will adapt the style of the upcoming TV
series for Kids WB, "What's New Scooby Doo?" I suggest you skip it and
support the new "Astro Boy" series instead.

pg 103
Thundercats: Dogs of War #3 - $2.95 - order #JUN030232
The alliance between the Thundercats and the Mutants gets off to a rocky
start, and they get along like cats and... screw it, the comic isn't worth
the pun.

pg 130
IMAGE COMICS
Liberty Meadows #33 - $2.95 - order #JUN031274
Part 2 of the Mad Cow saga.

pg 139
Puffed #2 - $2.95 - order #JUN031313 & 14
Stuck in a crummy dragon costume, Aaron Owens now finds himself on Skid Row,
chased by three homies who want him dead, and with the costume that's REALLY
starting to reek...

pg 246
ANTARCTIC PRESS
Gold Digger #45 - $2.99 - order #JUN032028

Gold Digger Swimsuit End of Summer Special 2003 - $4.50 - order #JUN032029

pg 250
Ninja High School #109 - $3.50 - order #JUN032042

pg 267
BEHEMOTH BOOKS
Marvin The Dragon One-Shot - $3.00 - order #JUN032127
An unusual publication, this comic by Brian Clopper series as both the story
of a dragon who loves to buy the toys of his childhood online, and as a
birthday card that comes with it's own special dragon envelope.

pg 270
BLIND WOLF STUDIOS
Patrick the Wolf Boy After School Special - $2.95 - order #JUN032131
Patrick deals with the many typical difficulties of school in his own unique
way. More charming fun by Art Baltazar & Franco.

pg 272
BRASS BALL COMICS
Bubba The Redneck Werewolf #2 - $2.95 - order #JUN022139
Bubba and his family head for the annual Cracker County Fair, and Bubba has
to defend his honor, his girl and his pelt to keep two carnies from making
him into their latest attraction.

pg 317
DREAMWAVE PRODUCTIONS
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Animated #3 - $2.95 - order #JUN032254

pg 327
FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS
Before getting into the listings, a reminder that Fantagraphics is presently
dealing with a nasty loss due to LLC Publishing going tits-up and leaving
them holding a $70,000 debt. They could use help in selling off as much of
their backstock as they can, either through other distributors like Amazon
or directly through their website at www.fantagraphics.com Don't let one of
the last truly independent publishers go down like this, gang. No matter
what you may think of their editorial stance, they've done a lot to help
promote this work in the past, and still come out with damned unique and
worthy books. For example:

Fuzz & Pluck #3 - $4.95 - order #JUN032305
Fuzz gets a new protector while Pluck is on his way to the top in the
gladiatorial ring, but the seeds of self-destruction have been sown. Will
they escape this fate? Only one way to find out...

Alice in Sexland Extreme #7 - $3.50 - order #JUN032325
ADULTS ONLY Alice, Bunny and Cheshire are now locked away in the Queen of
Hearts' dungeon, when the Queen comes to visit and tell them how she came to
the world she and Alice are in. The answer will shock Alice and you...

pg 330
GEMSTONE PUBLISHING
Uncle Scrooge #321 - $6.95 - order #JUN032338
Don Rosa does the cover to the issue, as well as the first story inside
"Attaaaack!," while a second tale, "Dime and Dime Again'" is done by
Geoffrey Blum, based on notes by Carl Barks.

pg 332
Walt Disney's Comics And Stories #636 - $6.95 - order #JUN032339
Cover by Carl Barks, with stories by William Van Horn, Noel Van Horn & Don
Rosa. Crunchy goodness inside, folks.

pg 338
I.C. ENTERTAINMENT
Di Gi Charat Volume 1: Dejiko's Champion Cup Theatre - $10.95 - order
#JUN032374
One of the wackiest anime/manga series in Japan finally comes to the U.S. in
this collection of Koge-Donbo's translated tales. Coming to Earth to learn,
Princess Dejiko instead decides to become a J-Pop idol while working at
Gamers, a chain of gaming supply stores all over Japan. Originally created
as a promotional idea for the store, the adventures of Dejiko, her sister
Pujiko, weird floating ball assistant Genma, rival Rabi en Rose, and a host
of strange and hilarious characters have become a phenomenon in Japan and a
cult classic among anime fans. Now you can see for yourself why...

pg 345
MU PRESS
Hugo #3 - $3.50 - order #JUN032425
This issue tells all about the early life of Hugenot P. Kat, and how he came
to be part of the court of King Adolphe.

Wild #2 - $3.75 - order #JUN032426
Paul Kidd's "Treasure of the DeLanceys" continues, as well as "Capture the
Flagpole" by Robbie Consley & Karno.

pg 350
RADIO COMIX
PhotoShop For Comics: Master Course CD-ROM - $24.95 - order #JUN032468
Not a furry title per se, but something that a hell of a lot of artists here
need desperately. Both PC and Mac compatible, it contains over 200 pages of
full-color instruction in PDF, plus step-by-step QuickTime movies, sample
pages, custom PhotoShop tools and more.

Furrlough #128 - $2.99 - order #JUN032469
More "Tales of Marga," more "Ebin and May," more "Tamara the Barbarienne,"
and more reasons than you can shake a stick at to pick it up.

Genus #61 - $3.50 - order #JUN032471
Cover by Susan Meyer, with tales by Daria McGrain & Sara M. Williams, Brian
Sutton, DAQ, Sanny, and Kyle Hutchings.

That's all for this month, true believers! EXCELSIOR!

(Goddammit, I have to stop taking 'ludes with Stan Lee...)

BR

Jun 2, 2003, 7:28:32 PM6/2/03
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:30:02 -0700, Doodles wrote:

> pg 350
> RADIO COMIX
> PhotoShop For Comics: Master Course CD-ROM - $24.95 - order #JUN032468
> Not a furry title per se, but something that a hell of a lot of artists
> here need desperately. Both PC and Mac compatible, it contains over 200
> pages of full-color instruction in PDF, plus step-by-step QuickTime
> movies, sample pages, custom PhotoShop tools and more.

I assume the only unique thing about the above is just the narrow focus,
and the techniques are pretty much the same you see in all of the other
PhotoShop material out there.

--
-Barry Hughes
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers

Mike and Carole

Jun 2, 2003, 10:39:32 PM6/2/03

"Doodles" <dood...@cheesies.pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Hi ho, boys and girls! Another month has passed and it's time again for
the
> list of what will be coming out in comics, based on the Diamond Previews
> catalog.

Mike Curtis here. Aren't we in the Diamond catalog? I know I sent in some
comics....

Mike

M. Mitchell Marmel

Jun 3, 2003, 9:34:25 AM6/3/03
In article <10546056...@news.cyberback.com>,

"Mike and Carole" <Shan...@cyberback.com> wrote:

> Mike Curtis here. Aren't we in the Diamond catalog? I know I sent in some
> comics....

Yeah, but you don't wanna be listed on a.f.f along with comics from
Archie, remember?

-MMM-

Doodles

Jun 3, 2003, 5:02:18 PM6/3/03
"Mike and Carole" <Shan...@cyberback.com> wrote in message

> Mike Curtis here. Aren't we in the Diamond catalog? I know I sent in
some
> comics....

There was no SFA listing anywhere in this month's catalog. I would suggest
you get in touch with Diamond if you feel this was a mistake.

Doodles

Jun 3, 2003, 5:08:20 PM6/3/03
"M. Mitchell Marmel" <marm...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics _anywhere._

FuzzWolf

Jun 3, 2003, 5:11:55 PM6/3/03

> Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics
_anywhere._

Guess I missed something, what's the problem with Archie comics?

Doodles

Jun 3, 2003, 5:13:23 PM6/3/03
"BR" <brodr...@comcast.MUNGED.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:30:02 -0700, Doodles wrote:
>
> > pg 350
> > RADIO COMIX
> > PhotoShop For Comics: Master Course CD-ROM - $24.95 - order #JUN032468
> > Not a furry title per se, but something that a hell of a lot of artists
> > here need desperately. Both PC and Mac compatible, it contains over 200
> > pages of full-color instruction in PDF, plus step-by-step QuickTime
> > movies, sample pages, custom PhotoShop tools and more.
>
> I assume the only unique thing about the above is just the narrow focus,
> and the techniques are pretty much the same you see in all of the other
> PhotoShop material out there.

Pretty much. Some of the tools needed for comics production are not standard
to the base PS package, and instruction on the use of PS in creating comics
is not as easy to find as general PS texts.

Brian Sutton

Jun 3, 2003, 9:44:09 PM6/3/03
>> Mike Curtis here. Aren't we in the Diamond catalog? I know I sent in
>some
>> comics....

Yeah, I thought you were uncomfortable with comparing your books with other
publishers?
Brian Sutton

"They tried to corner the market on stupidity the way the Hunt brothers
tried with silver "
-Shon Howell

Visit my website @ http://hjg.kcomplex.com
for deals on Furry art & comics

DishRoom1

Jun 3, 2003, 10:21:28 PM6/3/03
Doodles wrote --

Mike and Carole wrote --

>> Mike Curtis here. Aren't we in the Diamond catalog? I know I sent in
>some
>> comics....
>
>There was no SFA listing anywhere in this month's catalog. I would suggest
>you get in touch with Diamond if you feel this was a mistake.

I was dissapointed that there were no SFA goodies listed there, either. :-( Oh,
well, you can't always have everything.

On the side note, the folks are Diamond didn't send any order form along with
this month's Previews order magazines at my store, so the comic book shop
vendors told me to write out anything I want on an order sheet enclosed with
the Previews or on a blank peioce of paper. Has this happened to anyone else?

John Shughart
John Shughart

Obvious Fake. Do Not Harvest.

Jun 3, 2003, 10:30:22 PM6/3/03
>From: "FuzzWolf" fuzz...@attbi.com

>"Doodles"

>> Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics
>_anywhere._
>
>Guess I missed something, what's the problem with Archie comics?

I'm guessing the Dan DeCarlo affair.

He essentially created the Archie house style and created many of the more
emorable characters, then the publisher more or less said "Thanks. We own it.
We don't want you anymore. Go away."

I'm being pretty vauge, here. Am I getting it right, and if not would someone
pleasee post corrections?

If you want me to see your response, please post.
http://www.towerofbabel.com/antispam
http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html

DishRoom1

Jun 3, 2003, 10:40:59 PM6/3/03
FuzzWolf wrote --

Doodles wrote --

>> Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics
>_anywhere._
>
>Guess I missed something, what's the problem with Archie comics?

Doodles has avoided Archie comics dumped longlime Archie artist and "Josie and
the Pussycats" creator Dan DeCarlo. It was caused by DeCarlo and the Archie
company fighting over the money and credit over Josie and the Pussycats as a
Hollywood movie was made about the said characters. Archie then fired DeCarlo,
never put his name in the movie's credits nor never paid him or his surviving
family any money from it. (Not that it seems to matter now since the "Josie and
the Pussycats" movie was an cinematic and financial train wreck.) The company
also erased DeCarlo's name from all "Archie" and "Josie" stories he wrote in
the past as they were currently re-released.

They also kicked out a few Sonic the Hedgehog artists, such as Shawn Shaw (or
whatever his name was >;-( , he created of the short lived DC Comics series
"Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.")

John Shughart

Mike and Carole

Jun 3, 2003, 10:50:11 PM6/3/03
I guess I better...

Thanks

Mike

"Doodles" <dood...@cheesies.pacbell.net> wrote in message

M. Mitchell Marmel

Jun 3, 2003, 11:26:59 PM6/3/03
In article <bbj2ps$r3v$1...@raccoon.fur.com>,
"Doodles" <dood...@cheesies.pacbell.net> wrote:

> > Yeah, but you don't wanna be listed on a.f.f along with comics from
> > Archie, remember?
>
> Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics _anywhere._

Coolness.

-MMM-

DishRoom1

Jun 4, 2003, 1:25:16 AM6/4/03
Rratfink wrote --

FuzzWolf wrote --

>>"Doodles"
>
>>> Not a problem, since I am no longer going to list Archie comics
>>_anywhere._
>>
>>Guess I missed something, what's the problem with Archie comics?
>
>I'm guessing the Dan DeCarlo affair.
>
>He essentially created the Archie house style and created many of the more
>emorable characters, then the publisher more or less said "Thanks. We own it.
>We don't want you anymore. Go away."
>
>I'm being pretty vauge, here. Am I getting it right, and if not would someone
>pleasee post corrections?

That's about it, plus when Archie Comics gave Hollywood the right to make a
"Josie and the Pussycats" movie based on characters DeCarlo created for Archie,
the company also wouldn't credit DeCarlo for creating Josie et al, nor did he
ever see any royalties for himself from the movie. See my post for Fuzzwolf's
question.

John Shughart

DishRoom1

Jun 4, 2003, 1:27:38 AM6/4/03
I wrote --

(about Archie Comics, after they broke up with Dan DeCarlo)

>They also kicked out a few Sonic the Hedgehog artists, such as Shawn Shaw (or
>whatever his name was >;-( , he created of the short lived DC Comics series
>"Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.")
>
>John Shughart

I just remember his name just now correctly on my own: he was Scott Shaw.
Sorry.

John Shughart

Mike and Carole

Jun 4, 2003, 8:08:46 AM6/4/03
Add to that he also had to pay to see it.

Mike

"DishRoom1" <dish...@aol.com> wrote in message

Kory Anders

Jun 4, 2003, 12:58:30 PM6/4/03

Shouldn't that be Scott Shaw! ? ;)

DishRoom1

Jun 4, 2003, 7:53:59 PM6/4/03
Mike and Carole wrote --

>Add to that he also had to pay to see it.

DeCarlo actually saw "Josie and the Pussycats"? o_O

What did he think of it, Mike? (other than the fumes over being uncredited.)

John Shughart

Mike and Carole

Jun 10, 2003, 7:25:26 AM6/10/03

"DishRoom1" <dish...@aol.com> wrote in message

Well, he said his grandaughter enjoyed it.

Aside from the fact he was upset at seeing his characters on screen with no
compensation, he also said it was a lousy movie. I watched it once for free
and agreed with him.

Mike

DishRoom1

Jun 11, 2003, 7:22:10 AM6/11/03
Mike and Carole wrote --

I wrote --

>> Mike and Carole wrote --
>>
>> >Add to that he also had to pay to see it.
>> >

>> DeCarlo actually saw "Josie and the Pussycats"? o_O
>>
>> What did he think of it, Mike? (other than the fumes over being
>uncredited.)
>>
>> John Shughart
>

>Well, he said his grandaughter enjoyed it.
>
>Aside from the fact he was upset at seeing his characters on screen with no
>compensation, he also said it was a lousy movie. I watched it once for free
>and agreed with him.
>
>Mike

I see. Must have been hard to watch the characters he created bounce around the
screen like idiots.

John Shughart