Artist's Rant....

Rebecca Gallant

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
O.k., everyone seems to be posting to my rant before they see the
Addendum I posted about amateurs, gifts, donations, etc.

Also, I aplogise for flying off the handle today. I really needed to
blow off some steam. Usualy, I'm quite calm and I can take a lot of
abuse.
Some of you remember that I was actualy the voice of reason during the
Furry/Zoophile crisis.

I realize the hypocrisy of swearing and professionalism and again I am
sorry.
It does burn me up though, when too many people ask me to do work for
free when it's obvious I'm a full time professional artist.
I didn't mean to demean amateur artist or belittle giving away work for
donations and good causes. You don't think of these things when you're
angry.
It's also not a "cry for help" nor is my business doing badly, in fact,
I'm doing quite well. I just got really angry. That's it. Nothing more.
Well, hopefully this will diffuse some of the flames against me.
Yours,
Becky
--
/^--^\
/ . . \

Becky's Wildlife and Fantasy Art
Specializing in photo realistic
wildlife and fantasy paintings and
illustrations.

Syke

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
I have a good idea!! Let's go after the FREELOADERS!!! I do make it a
point that yes,
someday, art is going to be part of my work so I will be a professional,
but if someone
is asking for extensive work or changes on something and want it for free,
it depends on if
I FEEL like doing it or not. If they don't like the first results, I
usually don't do it because
I've lost INTEREST in doing it.

I'll do quick sketches for free, not much detail and probably flawed, but I
suppose I should
charge more for finished works. Then again, nobody knows who I am :)

That's Ms. Syke to you, Bud.
Homepage:http://www.FurNation.com/Syke/

My email is now PostPet friendly!

Places to Find Me Online:
ICQ:11325417
Transformers Genesis:mozzarella.wpi.edu port 2000
Quinn/Nightwatch/Darius/Syke
FurryMUCK:Syke, occasionally

Syke

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

kw...@gkar.phys.unm.edu wrote:

> In article <35AD0CF7...@dallas.crosswinds.net>,

> Syke <str...@dallas.crosswinds.net> wrote:
> >I have a good idea!! Let's go after the FREELOADERS!!!
>

> I can certainly agree with that. I've felt really embarrassed a time or two
> watching someone try to chisel free art out of a pro artist, just from seeing
> someone acting so crass.

I couldn't even get the courage to ask for a little doodle in my book from some
of the artists at akon, and I really wanted something from Fred Perry, didn't have
to be perfect either.. unfortunately the 20 dollar asking price was WAY to steep
for me,
but I wasn't about to go try to get free art from him. I was rather sad that I
couldn't
get anything due to being jobless at the time. :(

My boyfriend wanted to pay for me to get one, but I talked him out of it, if that
let's you
know how I am about money being spent on myself. I have a tendency to feel sorry
for some people, and look at stuff this way, what will it hurt me to do this? Most
of the
time, it doesn't hurt me and it makes me feel good to give something away for
nothing...
until the freeloaders show up with their demands, then I get b!tchy >:)

Unfortunately, the ONLY way I'm going to get any drawings by other artists in my
sketchbook
is if they ask ME if they can draw in them, which will be very darn unlikely. :P
I'm too shy to
ask for something free, but if it's offered I will take it and not ask much of the
person, because
it's free and I shouldn't... and I get rather miffed at people who go up and demand
full scenery modeled
images with shading and four characters for free. :P

I get embarassed to watching people like that... because like it or not, those
freeloaders sometimes represent us :(

> Kyle L. Webb Dept. of Physics + Astronomy
> kw...@gkar.phys.unm.edu University of New Mexico
> Hartree Fox on Yiffnet

Dr. Skorzy MacFarlaighn

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <6ojrrk$6h4$1...@picasso.op.net>, sra...@op.net (Susan Rankin) wrote:

> Now I like doing sketchbook
> exchanges, but more often than not, I don't get a sketch in return, so
AAC2 is > the last of the Freebie Sketch cons for me...I just can't afford
to wear > myself out for nothing.

I don't blame you.. I'm curious how many folks asked for sketches but
didn't offer any $$$ for the effort... Of course, I wouldn't know what
I'd do if I was an artist and was handed sketchbook after sketchbook
without any offer of money..

I think Rich Chandler has a sketchbook etiquette FAQ he put together and
posts here occasionally. It has a decently comprehensive "how to" present
sketchbooks..and how the fan..*and* artist should approach the matter.

The first rule, which is really a common sense dictum rather a rule, is
that assuming an artist would sketch "for free" is ludicrous...

Every artist I approached at AAC2 with my sketchbook found some cash
bookmarked in the page I wanted them to draw on. Some refused it (some
surprisingly adamantly so..), some did not..what matters is that I didn't
trivialize the request for a sketch by assuming it'd be a freebie. I
wouldn't blame *any* artist for being peeved if they weren't "quietly"
slipped some cash for a sketchbook request. Since I'm not an artist and
can't reciprocate with a sketch of my own, the only recompense I can offer
is monetary. IMHO.. *not* offering the money would be offensive and rude.

I'm more than happy to slip a bill in my sketchbook before I handed it off
to an artist, anyone that *expects* sketches to be done gratis are either
ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys... artists should treat them as such.

-Skorzy

--
J. Scott Rogers ** sko...@cyberzone.net **
UMASS Medical Center ** jeff....@ummed.edu**

kw...@gkar.phys.unm.edu

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <35AD0CF7...@dallas.crosswinds.net>,
Syke <str...@dallas.crosswinds.net> wrote:
>I have a good idea!! Let's go after the FREELOADERS!!!

I can certainly agree with that. I've felt really embarrassed a time or two
watching someone try to chisel free art out of a pro artist, just from seeing
someone acting so crass.

Kyle L. Webb Dept. of Physics + Astronomy

Susan Rankin

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <6ojgl4$1850$1...@lynx.unm.edu>, kw...@gkar.phys.unm.edu says...

>In article <35AD0CF7...@dallas.crosswinds.net>,
>Syke <str...@dallas.crosswinds.net> wrote:
>>I have a good idea!! Let's go after the FREELOADERS!!!
>
>I can certainly agree with that. I've felt really embarrassed a time or two
>watching someone try to chisel free art out of a pro artist, just from seeing
>someone acting so crass.

I second this... I went to college to hone my skills and it really cheeses me off
when someone tries to get a freebie from me when I have a student loan to pay for, or any
number of other pros out there, college grads or not, who have just as many, if not more
bills to pay. I was in an IRC once and someone asked me about getting a commission... I
went over all the details he wanted, asked him other questions about himself to really make
the piece special to him, and when I mentioned discussing price he said, "Pay?" I stopped
talking to him then and there...haven't seen him since either. Now I like doing sketchbook

exchanges, but more often than not, I don't get a sketch in return, so AAC2 is the last of the

Freebie Sketch cons for me...I just can't afford to wear myself out for nothing. Don't get me
wrong, I love seeing the smiles and giggles I most often get, but it doesn't feed the cats
when I get home.

Heh, well that's -my- rant! Anyone else?

SueDeer

Susan Rankin

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <skorzy-1507...@cz-cblk-150-9-145.cyberzone.net>,
skorzy@SPAM_KILLER.cyberzone.net says...

>I'm more than happy to slip a bill in my sketchbook before I handed it off
>to an artist, anyone that *expects* sketches to be done gratis are either
>ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys...

Or a GOOD friend...let's not forget good friends. @:)

SusanDeer - Sap At Large...and, for the most part, blissfully ignorant!

Doodles

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On 16 Jul 1998 04:38:59 GMT, sra...@op.net (Susan Rankin) wrote:

>In article <skorzy-1507...@cz-cblk-150-9-145.cyberzone.net>,
>skorzy@SPAM_KILLER.cyberzone.net says...
>
>>I'm more than happy to slip a bill in my sketchbook before I handed it off
>>to an artist, anyone that *expects* sketches to be done gratis are either
>>ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys...
>
> Or a GOOD friend...let's not forget good friends. @:)

Yes, those too.

At AAC, three times I had artists place work in my sketchbook. The
second thing I asked [first being "Are you available at this time?"]
was "How much would you like?"

Call me strange, but I've always thought that telling an artist a) I
like your work and b) I'm willing to part with hard-earned wampum for
a small piece of it would be considered a compliment. I have had
folks do freebies for me, but in most cases I expect that proper
compensation for work is due to the artist.

Unca Spooge, who has to remember to get Ms. Rankin in the book next
time...

Susan Rankin

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <35adffa2...@news.primenet.com>, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
says...

>Unca Spooge, who has to remember to get Ms. Rankin in the book next
>time...

*chuckle!* I was just gonna say, "Where were you when I needed breakfast
money???" *giggle!* There were a lot of books I didn't get to at AAC...*sigh* Next year I
promise to not be so busy!

SueDeer

Syke

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98

Doodles wrote:

> Unca Spooge, who has to remember to get Ms. Rankin in the book next
> time...

Heh, a good reply from an artist is: What is it worth to you?when someone asks
how much would you like. :) *I learned
that working in Toys 'R' Us. Anytime they'd find a toy that
didn't have a price tag on it and noone knew how much it was,
we'd ask, "How much is is worth to you?" and then charge
that price. :) Thing is, people will usually hit right about where
it is, or higher than you think, especially around Christmass time,
it's early and I just got up and I have no idea what I just said.

Skytech

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Dr. Skorzy MacFarlaighn wrote:

> I don't blame you.. I'm curious how many folks asked for sketches but
> didn't offer any $$$ for the effort... Of course, I wouldn't know what
> I'd do if I was an artist and was handed sketchbook after sketchbook
> without any offer of money..

I always thought sketchbooks were a way of saying 'hello' between fans
or as a kind of autograph collecting from pro-artists. I don't have a
sketchbook myself and, if I did, I'd be a bit self-conscious about
begging pro-artists for grand sketches. A quick face or little doodle
representative of their style seems reasonable. Some do corrupt the
concept as a means to free art and that's a shame. I can understand the
frustration of an artist asked to do a free drawing while his sellable
works sit untouched. Maybe we need to stress getting back to basics; you
don't demand, you ask, you don't expect much, you say thank you for the
taste.

> I think Rich Chandler has a sketchbook etiquette FAQ he put together and
> posts here occasionally. It has a decently comprehensive "how to" present
> sketchbooks..and how the fan..*and* artist should approach the matter.

I lost it when my HD crashed and burned. I hope to see it soon here.

> Every artist I approached at AAC2 with my sketchbook found some cash
> bookmarked in the page I wanted them to draw on. Some refused it (some
> surprisingly adamantly so..), some did not..what matters is that I didn't
> trivialize the request for a sketch by assuming it'd be a freebie. I
> wouldn't blame *any* artist for being peeved if they weren't "quietly"
> slipped some cash for a sketchbook request. Since I'm not an artist and
> can't reciprocate with a sketch of my own, the only recompense I can offer
> is monetary. IMHO.. *not* offering the money would be offensive and rude.

Why not buy their work on display? Seems like you're taking the long way
around or is it sketchbook itself that's important? Again, I don't have
a sketchbook and am unfamiliar.

> I'm more than happy to slip a bill in my sketchbook before I handed it off
> to an artist, anyone that *expects* sketches to be done gratis are either

> ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys... artists should treat them as such.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh not *that* term again! It can't be slapped on me this time but it's
still, quite frankly, rude and crude.

Ignorant may be just the right phrase. Someone is told they can get an
artist's artwork done in a sketchpad but hasn't the knowledge or means
to know about that sketchbook FAQ. Sounds like they need to be educated,
not humiliated
--
La kashigada vulpo
Skytech

^^
<@@>
./

http://www.flash.net/~tsmiar/skytech.html

Doodles

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On 16 Jul 1998 14:56:01 GMT, sra...@op.net (Susan Rankin) wrote:

>In article <35adffa2...@news.primenet.com>, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
>says...

>>Unca Spooge, who has to remember to get Ms. Rankin in the book next
>>time...
>

> *chuckle!* I was just gonna say, "Where were you when I needed breakfast
>money???" *giggle!* There were a lot of books I didn't get to at AAC...*sigh* Next year I
>promise to not be so busy!

My problem is, I won't be at the next one. I keep the number of cons
limited to about three a year. Next year, along with CF and Loscon, I
have to decide on either Duckon or Conifur.

Unca Spooge, keeping things fresh.

Wanderer

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Susan Rankin wrote in message <6ok053$977$2...@picasso.op.net>...
>>I'm more than happy to slip a bill in my sketchbook before I handed it off
>>to an artist, anyone that *expects* sketches to be done gratis are either
>>ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys...
>
> Or a GOOD friend...let's not forget good friends. @:)

Or broke ... like me fur the longest time ... and unknowing of how much work
goes into it because we're rapidly proving ourselves incapable of drawing a
decent (or indecent) stick figure.:/

Yours truly,

The tapped,

Wanderer**wand...@applink.net
Where am I going?I don't quite know.
What does it matter where people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow.
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I*don't know!

Amy 'Amara' Pronovost

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Okay, while I don't mind giving freebies to people I know (I feel
guilty charging friends) I /don't/ get offended when someone asks for
a freebie. If I did, people would hate me, you should see the email I
get, volumes of it because my Star Wars stuff is in demand, I don't
want to do it free and I can't charge for it because of legal reasons.

I just politely tell the person that I'm busy with other proijects and
that my rates are this and that and I can;t do Star Wars stuff for a
Fee, anyway, because of LFL getting in the way so I'm sorry.

This is for web stuff, I will do Star Wars art in a sketchbook for a
small fee, but I will never do a web graphic, with a major character.

I just shrug, give them a goofy look and say 'nope, sorry' :)

They walks away upset, but happy I didn't blow up at them :)

Amy - Most of them thank me anyway

Susan Rankin

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
In article <35AE8467...@ix.netcom.com>, sky...@ix.netcom.com says...

>Why not buy their work on display? Seems like you're taking the long way
>around or is it sketchbook itself that's important? Again, I don't have
>a sketchbook and am unfamiliar.

The really interesting thing about a sketchbook is that the artist can capture a
moment going on at the con in a furry sort of way, just for you! Or, and I find this quite a bit,
people have themed sketchbooks. I myself found a book with a cover that looks like brown
paper with drawings of tools on it...it's my (spooge free) Tool Time sketchbook. Fellow
artists have a choice of Pin-up, Oops!, "Lookit What I Made!", "What does THIS Do?" or
perhaps something about a middle/high school shop teacher.

>> ignorant or spoiled asshole fanboys... artists should treat them as such.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Oh not *that* term again! It can't be slapped on me this time but it's
>still, quite frankly, rude and crude.

Hmmm, rude and crude isn't always a bad thing...if a person were to be called
that, then they might get a clue that perhaps his behaviour is less than savory... And maybe
even remedy that behaviour! So perhaps the term is not so bad.

>Ignorant may be just the right phrase. Someone is told they can get an
>artist's artwork done in a sketchpad but hasn't the knowledge or means
>to know about that sketchbook FAQ. Sounds like they need to be educated,
>not humiliated

Ahh, herein lies a big problem...how to respond to someone who doesn't know
that FAQ without appearing rude yourself. Well, AAC has been my only con for the past 2
years...it's been my "freebie con" no matter who you were, just as long as you didn't ask for
spooge, so it wasn't really an issue. Now that I have experience and a portfolio under my
pelt...errr...BELT, I feel it's ok for me to expect a few dollars towards my next meal at a con.
I'm not sure how I'll handle this just yet. Anyone have any suggestions from the artist point
of view? I wonder if the FAQ could be printed in con books....

SusanDeer

Ronnie1

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Sue you have a point there. I mean yea, for all of us artists we do see
sketchbooks as something to capture others art in. I have 2 sketchbooks. I
didn't have my smaller one with me at AAC, but I got a new one, and I do
have a theme for the new sketchbook. Not all artists do a theme in
sketchbooks. Also I do see this alot at other cons that I have been to. I
do have RooCon which is held by HopperRoo here in my homestate of Mass. If
you ask the artists first on getting a sketch or approach them and ask
nicely, you will get something back in return or an answer from the artist
on you approached. I have learned to do this from time to time is to
approach others with my sketchbook and ask do you have time or are you
busy. This year at AAC I did 1 story in a sketchbook this year. I don't
remember who's book it was, but I did it for no money. I don't charge for
my drawings or my stories, maybe it's something I haven't thought of yet.

Susan Rankin <sra...@op.net> wrote in article
<6om6ol$ev6$1...@picasso.op.net>...

Susan Rankin

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
In article <35ae9c0d...@news.primenet.com>, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
says...

>My problem is, I won't be at the next one. I keep the number of cons
>limited to about three a year. Next year, along with CF and Loscon, I
>have to decide on either Duckon or Conifur.
>
>Unca Spooge, keeping things fresh.

It'll have to be through mail then, unless the stars find their way to throw us both
to DucKon

SueDeer

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
skorzy@SPAM_KILLER.cyberzone.net (Dr. Skorzy MacFarlaighn) writes:
> I think Rich Chandler has a sketchbook etiquette FAQ he put together
> and posts here occasionally. It has a decently comprehensive "how
> to" present sketchbooks..and how the fan..*and* artist should approach
> the matter.

Yes, it's auto-posted every other month. Although with the increasing number
of furry cons, perhaps it should go up to once a month.

It can also be found on the Gallery web pages (which have MOVED).
http://home1.gte.net/mauser/sketchbook.html
Should get you there.

--
"I don't believe in Guns."
"I Do! I've actually seen one!"

Doodles

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:13:39 -0700, mau...@gte.net (Richard Chandler -
WA Resident) wrote:

>In article <skorzy-1507...@cz-cblk-150-9-145.cyberzone.net>,
>skorzy@SPAM_KILLER.cyberzone.net (Dr. Skorzy MacFarlaighn) writes:
>> I think Rich Chandler has a sketchbook etiquette FAQ he put together
>> and posts here occasionally. It has a decently comprehensive "how
>> to" present sketchbooks..and how the fan..*and* artist should approach
>> the matter.
>
>Yes, it's auto-posted every other month. Although with the increasing number
>of furry cons, perhaps it should go up to once a month.

Not to mentions cons that are developing furry tracks and those where
folks just happen to show up. Personally, I wish cons would take the
5 minutes to add the thing to their program books...

Unca Spooge, who suggested the idea to CF several years running and
got bupkus response...

Fhaolan

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98

Fhaolan blinks, and resolves to not read newsgroups when he's feeling
ill again.

"For some reason, when I read Unca Spooge's comment's, I got tha
impression tha' he suggested addin' a furry track tae CF...."

-Fhaolan, who's usually confused anyway, but even worse when he has
the flu.