Link FZ to Star Wars with one person.

Patrick Neve

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

Challenge: Link FZ to Star Wars with one person.
Hint: Dennis Hopper

Patrick Neve

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Eric Martin wrote:

> Harrison Ford was in Apocalypse Now with Dennis Hopper, Hopper was in Head
> with FZ

Sorry, that's two people. It's more obscure than that.

Jon Naurin

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Patrick Neve writes:

Lando Calrissian?

- Jon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-= To reply, swap "swop" for "swip" in my address. =-=
=-= Check out the Zappa concert database FZShows at: =-=
=-= http://www.frontiernet.net/~prem/fzshows.htm =-=
=-= =-=
=-= "It's like surfing the ocean for people in wheel-chairs." =-=
=-= - Portuguese reviewer on Bob Dylan's Time Out Of My Mind =-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Eric Martin

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Harrison Ford was in Apocalypse Now with Dennis Hopper, Hopper was in Head
with FZ

What do I win?

Eric Martin
ema...@hemisfear.com
http://www.hemisfear.com/zappa/

"Some terribly insightful quote that shakes the foundation of all your
beliefs."
- by Someone Who You Would Never Expect to Say Such A Thing

Dennis Versteeg

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:55:40 -0700, Patrick Neve
<sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>Challenge: Link FZ to Star Wars with one person.
>Hint: Dennis Hopper

was it Frank inside that Jabba the Hut costume, and maybe he hopped
around in it, since it had no legs?

dennis

---
Visit the Nits Concert File
Great Music from the Netherlands
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/8445/nitsconc.html

Dennis Versteeg

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

>Challenge: Link FZ to Star Wars with one person.
>Hint: Dennis Hopper

sorry if this comes twice, my original message didn't appear when I
posted it (probably pushed the wrong button ...)
the message was something like:

was FZ the one in the Jabba the Hut costume and was he hopping around
because it didn't have legs?

am I right?

Hulsebos A

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <naurin.75...@mbox300.swopnet.se>,

Jon Naurin <nau...@mbox300.swopnet.se> wrote:
>Patrick Neve writes:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Eric Martin wrote:
>
>>> Harrison Ford was in Apocalypse Now with Dennis Hopper, Hopper was in Head
>>> with FZ
>
>>Sorry, that's two people. It's more obscure than that.
>
>Lando Calrissian?

Who's he? (I've always wanted to ask that)

I'd throw Ronald Reagan in, personally.

Arjan H
--
Disclaimer? Whaddayamean, disclaimer? This is 1998!

Arjan Hulsebos -- arj...@cs.vu.nl
For more info (last updated June 5,1998): finger -l arj...@top.cs.vu.nl

Patrick Neve

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Dennis Versteeg wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:55:40 -0700, Patrick Neve
> <sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>

> >Challenge: Link FZ to Star Wars with one person.
> >Hint: Dennis Hopper
>

> was it Frank inside that Jabba the Hut costume, and maybe he hopped
> around in it, since it had no legs?
> dennis

DENNIS VERSTEEG, C'MON DOWN!

No, OK here's who I had in mind: Gary Kurtz.
Gary Kurtz produced Star Wars in 1977.
But back in 1966 he was production manager for a film called Queen Of
Blood, for which Frank recorded the song "Space Boy."

Now, there are a lot of details I don't know about this song yet, so I
thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you pros what you might know
about it. Apparantly the production involved the recording of some
Russian woman on vocals, Del Casher was involved, and it appeard ont he
Mystery Box bootleg and also Beyond The Fringe Of Audience Comprehension,
neither of which I've heard. How would you describe the song? Are there
any lyrics? I always imagined it to be a lost part of the Hunchentoot
story, but that may not be right.

I've put up a cheap little page in my unreleased songs section for Space
Boy, so anything you might know about it would be greatly appreciated.
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Space_Boy.html

Patrick Neve

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Oh yeah, Dennis Hopper was also in QUEEN OF BLOOD.

Michael Pierry

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Hulsebos A wrote:

> Who's he? (I've always wanted to ask that)

Lando? Why, he's the character played by Billy Dee Williams in the Star Wars
movies. The guy from Cloud City.

[SpiderGecko]

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
<SNIP>

I think there's actually a direct link. Wasn't FZ originally
considered to do the music from Star Wars? Don't laugh, I'm pretty
sure someone posted an article from something or other a while back
that said just that.

__-_--_---_----_-----_---------_-----_----_---_--_-__

[SpiderGecko] not spidergecko #1145 * Agamura Persica
<lame> http://thunder.prohosting.com/~sgecko/ </lame>

--_-__-___-____-_____-_________-_____-____-___-__-_--

Patrick Langer

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
Mmmh, let me guess...Spewbacca? Bossk? Or maybe even CPIII & R2D2?

Or is it the Dweez:

>Wasn't FZ originally considered to do the music from Star Wars? Don't
>laugh, I'm pretty sure someone posted an article from something or
>other a while back that said just that.

here's what I posted a year ago or so:

Subject: CPIII & R2D2 (was: secret soundtracks)

While reading my brother's Star Wars Insider #32, I found an interesting
thing that kept my imagination busy all the evening...

In his article "20 years ago today- an anniversary toast to Star Wars"
Scott Chernoff compiles Star Wars-memories of various famous people,
among them Dweezil Zappa:

"I was eight years old. We were all crazy about the movie and I saw it
about a billion times. I was totally obsessed. It was the best movie of
all time- it just had really good characters, cool interplanetary stuff,
and it looked really different. The sound effects and the lightsabers-
they were just really cool ideas, and it still holds up as really cool.
Nothing about Star Wars is hokey."
"We were told shortly after the movie came out that our father Frank was
one of the people considered to do the movie and his manager said "no
way" right off the bat. Frank never even got to make a decision. Of
course, when we heard this, my brother and sister and I all screamed
"No!". But I love the music in the movie anyway."

"Lando Calrissian" on BTHW, "Star Wars Won't Work" (though it has more
to do with Reagan than with the movie) on MAJN- are there more SW
references in FZ's body of work?

-Patrick Langer

I guess the Cantina band would have played an old Joe Perrino classic...

Biffyshrew

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98

Patrick Neve wrote:

>But back in 1966 he was production manager for a film called Queen Of
>Blood, for which Frank recorded the song "Space Boy."
>
>Now, there are a lot of details I don't know about this song yet, so I
>thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you pros what you might know
>about it. Apparantly the production involved the recording of some
>Russian woman on vocals, Del Casher was involved, and it appeard ont he
>Mystery Box bootleg and also Beyond The Fringe Of Audience Comprehension,
>neither of which I've heard. How would you describe the song? Are there
>any lyrics? I always imagined it to be a lost part of the Hunchentoot
>story, but that may not be right.

It's got lots of super-spooky electronics--in fact, it would be perfect
for the Halloween music thread--and the singer sounds like a poor man's
Dagmar Krause or Lene Lovich. Here are the lyrics as best I can make
them out...there are a few gaps, and a little of what's here is undoubtedly
wrong; the spellings of the names Sean and Velana are my best guess.

Cosmonaut Sean, Space Boy, beware
Velana is waiting for you are there
Don't cross the parallel of time and space
Or you'll die of love in a (???)
Velana is the queen and fate is her (???)
Velana the lover, sex without soul
Sean! Space Boy, Space Boy.

Laughing at danger, (???) jest
He soared through space on his gallant quest
But there in ambush behind heaven's gate
Mysterious Velana was lying in wait
Spellbound he looked into her glazing green eyes
She smiled and stirred her enticing thighs
Sean! Space Boy, Space Boy.

A thousand fires pierced his flesh
He pledged his love with tender caress
Fireballs and sunbursts showered them with lights
Then the two lovers held a sacred rite
Her kisses were deadly, the cosmic night grew dark
She tightened her green arms around his heart
A sob of sorrow echoed to the sky
He sighed "I love you," then he died
Oh, Sean! Sean! Space Boy, Space Boy.

Then he was buried among the stars
The legend says wherever you are
You can hear on certain nights
A young man's voice calling from the heights
Velana, Velana, come back to me, my love,
Velana, Velana, Velana!
Oooh, Sean! Space Boy, Space Boy.

BTW, is there really a separate bootleg called _Beyond The Fringe Of
Audience Comprehension_? That's the title of the particular disc
in _Mystery Box_ that includes this song.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew @}-`--}----
...visit me at http://members.aol.com/biffyshrew/biffy.html
"I hold in my hand three letters from the stages of your fine, fine,
superfine career."--The Velvetones

Hulsebos A

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
In article <36016103...@home.com>,

Argh, yes. I've actually seen that movie.... How could I forget??????

Bossk (R)

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
Biffyshrew wrote:

> BTW, is there really a separate bootleg called _Beyond
> The Fringe Of Audience Comprehension_? That's the title
> of the particular disc in _Mystery Box_ that includes this
> song.

I've been told (but it hasn't been proven to me) that all the discs in
MYSTERY BOX have also been "sold separately".

--- johan <wik...@mbox301.swipnet.se>

"I should let you know, my grandmaster has strange habits."
- Lo Jui, SHAOLIN VS LAMA, Hong Kong 1984 (English dub)

joefranx

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Star Wars Won't Work
--
HELP ME OUT WITH ALBUM REVIEWS PLEASE!!!!!!!!

DO SOME FZ ALBUM REVIEWS , GET OFF YER ASS , AND HELP ME WITH THIS IF
YOU REALLY LIKE FZ AS MUCH AS I DO , AND LIKE TO TYPE...

THANX , JF -jf...@cyberhighway.net

http://members.xoom.com/Joefranx

Jerry Hull

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

Jesus, man! You only needed to say it once!

--
Jer
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe,

JOEFRANX

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Jerry Hull wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:34:33 -0700, joefranx
> <jf503S...@cyberhighway.net> wrote:
>
> >Star Wars Won't Work
> >--
> >HELP ME OUT WITH ALBUM REVIEWS PLEASE!!!!!!!!
> >
> >DO SOME FZ ALBUM REVIEWS , GET OFF YER ASS , AND HELP ME WITH THIS IF
> >YOU REALLY LIKE FZ AS MUCH AS I DO , AND LIKE TO TYPE...
> >
> >THANX , JF -jf...@cyberhighway.net
> >
> >http://members.xoom.com/Joefranx
>
> Jesus, man! You only needed to say it once!

Well , I'll say it again......

Jerry Hull

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:26:06 -0700, JOEFRANX
<jf503S...@cyberhighway.net> wrote:

>Jerry Hull wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:34:33 -0700, joefranx
>> <jf503S...@cyberhighway.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Star Wars Won't Work
>> >--
>> >HELP ME OUT WITH ALBUM REVIEWS PLEASE!!!!!!!!
>> >
>> >DO SOME FZ ALBUM REVIEWS , GET OFF YER ASS , AND HELP ME WITH THIS IF
>> >YOU REALLY LIKE FZ AS MUCH AS I DO , AND LIKE TO TYPE...
>>

>> Jesus, man! You only needed to say it once!
>>
>Well , I'll say it again......
>

>HELP ME OUT WITH ALBUM REVIEWS PLEASE!!!!!!!!
>
>DO SOME FZ ALBUM REVIEWS , GET OFF YER ASS , AND HELP ME WITH THIS IF
>YOU REALLY LIKE FZ AS MUCH AS I DO , AND LIKE TO TYPE...

After years of feeding exclusively on their own excrement, some people
turn out this way.

Like I'm so enthused now to write a review for this jerk.

Bill

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Jerry Hull wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:26:06 -0700, JOEFRANX
> <jf503S...@cyberhighway.net> wrote:

<snip>

> >Well , I'll say it again......
> >
> >HELP ME OUT WITH ALBUM REVIEWS PLEASE!!!!!!!!
> >
> >DO SOME FZ ALBUM REVIEWS , GET OFF YER ASS , AND HELP ME WITH THIS IF
> >YOU REALLY LIKE FZ AS MUCH AS I DO , AND LIKE TO TYPE...
>
> After years of feeding exclusively on their own excrement, some people
> turn out this way.
>
> Like I'm so enthused now to write a review for this jerk.

Joe, you are welcome to use these:

Freaked Out: Man, like this is so out there.

Absolutely Freaked: More together that Freak Out.
Second disk was loose.

In It For Money: Bummer. Like Alvin and the Chipmonks do Sgt. Pepper.

Lumpy Gravy: More out there than Freak Out. Frank must have
been on some weird shit when he wrote this.

Cruising With Rueben: Sha Na Not.

Uncle Meat: This must be what you put Lumpy Gravy over.

Hot Rats: Only decent thing Mr. Zappo did.

Burned Weeny Sandwich: Not as good as Hot Rats.

Mothermaniac: Best Mothers record. Go to your local record shop
and get your copy today!

Chunk Revenge: Worst Turtles record ever.

Fillmore West: Phil Spector should have produced this. Where's Yoko?

2000 Motels: This is weird, man.

The Burger Album: Billy the Mountain is great to get high to.

Grand Kazoo: Mannered Ferguson and Chuck Mangleroni stuff.

Waka Wiki: Left over tapes from the last one. FZ was so lame in 72.

Diana Mo Hum: Great. Especially jam with Cream.

Don't Eat Yellow Snow: Great to get high to.

Roxy: Strip show! Woo Hoo!

Red Sofa: Brownesville Station could boogie.

Bongos Away: Stuffin' Muffin! Woo Hoo!

Zut Alors!: Chevalier tribute or something. French only.

Zappa Live in the Snow: Wanna Wanna Wanna. Woo Hoo!

Studio Tang: Computerized Beach Music.

Sweep Dirt: More stuff left over from the last album.

Orchestra Stuff: Even more stuff.

Shake YerBooby: Disco Sucks.

Joe's Garage Parts 1-3: Crew Sluts! Woo Hoo! Too many long
guitar solos.

Tinytown Rebellion: Only good thing is redo of song about Uncle Meat.

You Are What You Eat: Way too long. Not enough guitar solos.

Shut Up Your Guitar: Way way too long.

Drown That Bitch: Moonunit. Need I say more?

Ranx Xerox: Cool cover.

LSO 1: Lame Suck Orchestra Stuff.

Even More Orchestra Stuff with Dog: Man, this is boring.

Them Are Us: Frank wanted to be in Sha Na Na, I think.

Potato Man: Too many drugs over too much time.

Francisco: Orchestra, orchestra, orchestra. I have a headache.

Porn Wars: Frank does a great version of the SNL theme
where he sings about Baltimore where he grew up with
Captain Beef heart AKA Vincent Furrier. Otherwise too many
computer things.

Jazz Hell: Too many notes.

LSO 2: Stuff too lame to put on the original.

More Guitar: Too Long.

You Can't Eat Shit On Stage Anymore: All the weird stuff.

Broadway: Frank sings like Mr. Ed.

The Best Band You Ever Heard In Your Life: If you'd
never heard another band.

Jazz Noise: Live version of Jazz Hell.

Heads in Their Time: More orchestra stuff with old friend
Jimmy Black, who's done a lot of drugs with Frank over
the last 30 years from their days in Baltimore.

Psychotic Playground: More Weird stuff with the Turtles.

Yellow Snow: Orchestra versions of Frank's rock songs.

Civilisation Phase 3: What were the first 2? Something
about drowning Jesus or something. Weird. Frank was
dead when he did this.

Lewis Saul

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Bill wrote in message <3605987D...@patriot.net>...

>Joe, you are welcome to use these:
>
>Freaked Out: Man, like this is so out there.

Frenetic reviews of bunches of masterpieces snipped...

>Civilisation Phase 3: What were the first 2? Something
>about drowning Jesus or something. Weird. Frank was
>dead when he did this.

Even though I think you are SO full of shit -- I laughed my head off reading
this!

Lewis Saul
TFZMRI
http://www.mypages.com/lsaul
ls...@azstarnet.com
steal softly through sunshine
steal softly through snow

Bill

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Thank you.

Michael Pierry

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Bill wrote:

> Joe, you are welcome to use these:
>
> Freaked Out: Man, like this is so out there.

--etc.--

Ladies and gentlemen, that was fun.

JOEFRANX

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Michael Pierry wrote:

> Bill wrote:
> >

> > Joe, you are welcome to use these:
> >
> > Freaked Out: Man, like this is so out there.
> >

> --etc.--

Yeah , sorry Bill , but it needs to be more detailed than "Burnt Weeny
Sandwich: Not as good as Hot rats" , but your getting there...he he

<Yes that was said jokingly>