(OT w. FZ connection) Gotham, "Pass the Butter" LP

Milhouse G

Aug 9, 2009, 7:56:39 PM8/9/09
I bought this record for, I dunno, 50 cents or a dollar or something
yesterday. It was released on Motown subsidiary Natural Resources in
1972, produced by Tom Wilson. Aside from the album cover which appears
to depict two pieces of toast fucking
(http://www.rekord.net/cover/bigthumbs/rekord.5078.jpg), something that
caught my eye on the back cover was

Management:
Martin Perellis
Pisces
c/o Natural Resources

Has anyone heard this album? According to Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_%28band%29) and elsewhere, it's the
only one the band released. I myself haven't listened to it yet.

I also got a Magnus electric reed organ for $5. It's a model 45, about
which I haven't found any documentation online. I took a couple pictures
of it, of which one is here: http://bit.ly/O0BwV

--
Milhouse

Bill

Aug 9, 2009, 8:13:26 PM8/9/09

Yesterdays Wafflez

Aug 9, 2009, 8:45:27 PM8/9/09
Group: alt.fan.frank-zappa Date: Sun, Aug 9, 2009, 7:56pm (PDT+3) From:
milhouse_...@derekmarvelli.org Wrote:

I also got a Magnus electric reed organ for $5. It's a model 45, about
which I haven't found any documentation online. I took a couple pictures
of it, of which one is here: http://bit.ly/O0BwV
--
Milhouse

COOL!!!
Nice finds! Early Synclavier kinda thing!
I gotta Mini-Korg on lay-a-way at local Pawn shop (without voccorder
mic) but does awesome sequencing and analog leads for my upcoming
Prog~Band 'Yesterdays Wafflez' ....$120.00.

Y.W.

deepinder

Aug 10, 2009, 12:02:39 PM8/10/09
On Aug 10, 1:45 am, YesterdaysWaff...@webtv.net (Yesterdays Wafflez)
wrote:

> Group: alt.fan.frank-zappa Date: Sun, Aug 9, 2009, 7:56pm (PDT+3) From:
> milhouse_on_a_st...@derekmarvelli.org Wrote:
>
> I also got a Magnus electric reed organ for $5. It's a model 45, about
> which I haven't found any documentation online. I took a couple pictures
> of it, of which one is here:http://bit.ly/O0BwV
> --
> Milhouse
>
> COOL!!!
> Nice finds!  Early Synclavier kinda thing!
> I gotta Mini-Korg on lay-a-way at local Pawn shop (without voccorder
> mic) but does awesome sequencing and analog leads for my upcoming
> Prog~Band 'Yesterdays Wafflez' ....$120.00.
>
> Y.W.

Curiously there is a 'Pass the butter' ad on eBay with the strapline:
"Do you get breadcrumbs in bed?"

This is far too much with the innuendo - or lack of it if you will,
for the line comes from that Marlon Brando film Tango in Paris where
he tells his ladyfriend to 'pass the butter' in order to facilitate
his 'moon rocket'

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Aug 10, 2009, 1:10:39 PM8/10/09
On Aug 10, 9:02 am, deepinder <deepinderche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Curiously there is a 'Pass the butter' ad on eBay with the strapline:
> "Do you get breadcrumbs in bed?"

I remember that ad from Rolling Stone. The little inset at the bottom
is a hand patting a female ass, with the caption "A free pat with each
album."

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

T. F. Eccles

Aug 10, 2009, 9:42:54 PM8/10/09

>I also got a Magnus electric reed organ for $5. It's a model 45, about
>which I haven't found any documentation online. I took a couple pictures
>of it, of which one is here: http://bit.ly/O0BwV

Those things were so kool, my folks bought us one when we
were kids. It was a table top model, not the free standing
thing you show. We'd wait for the fan to start, then play
funky noises thru it. Still got it, needs one new key,
which now plays all the time and weakens the air flow.

Was it the same Martin Perellis (Marty) who was the road guy
for FZ during the Flo n Eddie days? If so, I believe he was the
guy who paid me for the GMT amp I sold Frank in Boston.

"$250...AND NO TAX !!!!!"

AH, the old days...

JJTj

Back up for Sale

Old press/Fan Club kit for The GrandMothers,
(Mothers of Invention original members) by
'Panda Records' SIGNED by Band in 2000 !

About as RARE as it gets, boyz n girlz..

http://www.usaelectron.com/GM

Milhouse G

Aug 11, 2009, 10:40:06 PM8/11/09
T. F. Eccles wrote:
>> I also got a Magnus electric reed organ for $5. It's a model 45, about
>> which I haven't found any documentation online. I took a couple pictures
>> of it, of which one is here: http://bit.ly/O0BwV
>
> Those things were so kool, my folks bought us one when we
> were kids. It was a table top model, not the free standing
> thing you show. We'd wait for the fan to start, then play
> funky noises thru it. Still got it, needs one new key,
> which now plays all the time and weakens the air flow.
>
> Was it the same Martin Perellis (Marty) who was the road guy
> for FZ during the Flo n Eddie days? If so, I believe he was the
> guy who paid me for the GMT amp I sold Frank in Boston.
>
> "$250...AND NO TAX !!!!!"
>
> AH, the old days...

I don't know how many other Martin Perellises worked for Motown and
managed bands in the 70s :)
FZ mentioned more than once that Marty worked for Motown. See the
"Dupree's Paradise" prelude from 7/17/74 Phoenix for one example.

Did Marty function as road manager during the Flo and Eddie period? I
didn't think he started with FZ until maybe 1973, but I could be wrong.
It seems there still isn't a whole lot known about him. Note that the
Gotham lp came out on a Motown subsidiary in 1972.

The back cover reads
Management
Martin Perellis
c/o Natural Resources
6464 Sunset, L.A. 90028

What was Dick Barber's role around this time? I thought Marty took over
the role of road manager from Dick, but I could be wrong about that,
too. Does anyone know when either Barber or Perellis officially stopped
working for/with Zappa?

--
Milhouse

T. F. Eccles

Aug 13, 2009, 9:37:07 AM8/13/09

>Did Marty function as road manager during the Flo and Eddie period? I
>didn't think he started with FZ until maybe 1973, but I could be wrong.
>It seems there still isn't a whole lot known about him. Note that the
>Gotham lp came out on a Motown subsidiary in 1972.

I may of been confused about the timing. Turning 54 this Sunday..hehehe

It MIGHT of been just before the Roxy LP, because said amp is shown
on the LP cover. It MUST of been after Flo n Eddie. I remember being back
stage and talking to 'Marty', his "$250..and NO TAX !!!" statement, then
going to the seats and watching the show. I just can't remember the rest.

Funny, I can remember selling him a guitar, being backstage in RI n the
Flo incident, and of course, in Worcester at Clark U when the band
had big time plane problems, so Frank taught the crowd the routine
about "..com-part-ment.." (being the storage above the seats the airline
was so pissed off over) complete with hand signals. J Geils opened for
them, and did more then one 'Full House Live' show waiting for FZ/etc.

The amp was a GMT guitar amp, solid state, just a awesome amp, made
by the company that later became 'GK'. I guess FZ got in touch with them
after, because I saw video with the band using alot of GMT stuff, along with
the ARB blue n white flocked PA cabs, 4 horns n 2-15" spkrs, which one
can see all thru out 200 Motels. I lifted quite a few of them @ Clark U.

FZ knew his shit about gear. I've sold alot of stuff to many big names,
but few, if any, put the product thru the paces like FZ did. Amazing.

Charles Ulrich

Aug 13, 2009, 1:24:14 PM8/13/09
In article <335885p0pdp1i4pcd...@4ax.com>,

T. F. Eccles <t...@tfe.con> wrote:

> It MIGHT of been just before the Roxy LP, because said amp is shown
> on the LP cover. It MUST of been after Flo n Eddie. I remember being back
> stage and talking to 'Marty', his "$250..and NO TAX !!!" statement, then
> going to the seats and watching the show. I just can't remember the rest.
>
> Funny, I can remember selling him a guitar, being backstage in RI n the
> Flo incident, and of course, in Worcester at Clark U when the band
> had big time plane problems, so Frank taught the crowd the routine
> about "..com-part-ment.." (being the storage above the seats the airline
> was so pissed off over) complete with hand signals. J Geils opened for
> them, and did more then one 'Full House Live' show waiting for FZ/etc.

How many concerts are you describing?

RI = Rhode Island?

What was "the Flo incident"?

I'd like to add an entry to the giglist. I don't have anything in
Worcester until 1984.

Like Milhouse, I don't think Marty Perellis worked for FZ until after
Flo & Eddie. There's some show where FZ talks about Marty the new road
manager and the old road manager with the tambourine in his briefcase.
July 1974? 7/17/74 Phoenix?

--Charles

T. F. Eccles

Aug 14, 2009, 7:25:13 PM8/14/09

>> Funny, I can remember selling him a guitar, being backstage in RI n the
>> Flo incident, and of course, in Worcester at Clark U when the band
>> had big time plane problems, so Frank taught the crowd the routine
>> about "..com-part-ment.." (being the storage above the seats the airline
>> was so pissed off over) complete with hand signals. J Geils opened for
>> them, and did more then one 'Full House Live' show waiting for FZ/etc.

>How many concerts are you describing?

In the above list..3.

>RI = Rhode Island?

Yup. Band was there, equipment was late.

>What was "the Flo incident"?

I've posted this before. It was in RI at that moment, the band was waiting
for some gear to show up. I'm in the room, watching the madness/fun.

FZ has a local slag on his knee, and a bottle of JWBlack on his lips, and
someone comes in, saying the crowd is pissed. FZ goes onstage and does
a neat n swifty drum solo, helped by the KB player. I go down, see them
doing it, and go back upstairs (at least 4 flights). In the mean time, some
local HS 'writer' and his lady show up. Guy is dressed like a science
nerd, pencil protector, tape on glasses, shorted pants, white sox, n
loafers. He did it too well to NOT be a uniform, and a prank. Lady
is dressed in red n white cheer leader outfit, pom pons and FAR too
much red lipstick placed FAR too comical. Cute ass. TALL legs.

BOTH are pissed FZ isn't around to be interviewed.

Mark (Flo) says something like: "wanta interview this..?"

Drops his pants, then his shorts, and while I'm not an expert,
Flo was hung like a horse. The chick screams. Runs out the
door, down the stairs, and outside. Nerd just says something
then calls her name, and runs out after her. Flo pulls dem up.

A week later, I'm told by the door guy at the place she was found
hours later in almost complete shock, in a door way 2 blocks away.

MANY years later, Flo n Eddie are backing up Alice Cooper in his
Bil/$/Baby tour in Ma., I corner Mark, and ask him about it. He
remembers it, and we both laughed for a few mins over it. Just a
few months ago, I call him (his PH# is listed on the net, and he
answers the phone) and mention it. He says: "Those were them days"

>I'd like to add an entry to the giglist. I don't have anything in
>Worcester until 1984.

It was a Flo n Eddie era show, I'm sorry I can't remember the year,
but SOMEONE must remember the "com-part-ment" routine from
that day. FZ spent over 45 mins explaining to the crowd, and then
teaching them the hand signals. Clark U, in the entrance, they
pushed all the seats aside, and J Geils Band opened. FZ(et all)
were delayed in Boston so long, the JG Band did at least 3 sets of
the live Full House show. till the band showed up. I lifted at
least 10 of those blue/white ARB cabs helping to get the show on.

..got the hernias to prove it..

>Like Milhouse, I don't think Marty Perellis worked for FZ until after
>Flo & Eddie. There's some show where FZ talks about Marty the new road
>manager and the old road manager with the tambourine in his briefcase.
>July 1974? 7/17/74 Phoenix?

More I think about it, it had to be after Flo n Eddie and just pre-Roxy.

Book is still on track..delays are just getting stupid. Seems some folks
(non FZ) don't want the world to know about their past. Hate da photos.

Charles Ulrich

Aug 14, 2009, 10:42:50 PM8/14/09
In article <23rb85p6jv2g6gub0...@4ax.com>,

T. F. Eccles <t...@tfe.con> wrote:

> >> Funny, I can remember selling him a guitar, being backstage in RI n the
> >> Flo incident, and of course, in Worcester at Clark U when the band
> >> had big time plane problems, so Frank taught the crowd the routine
> >> about "..com-part-ment.." (being the storage above the seats the airline
> >> was so pissed off over) complete with hand signals. J Geils opened for
> >> them, and did more then one 'Full House Live' show waiting for FZ/etc.
>
> >How many concerts are you describing?
>
> In the above list..3.
>
> >RI = Rhode Island?
>
> Yup. Band was there, equipment was late.
>
> >What was "the Flo incident"?
>
> I've posted this before.

I thought so, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I think the account below
gives additional details, so thanks.

> It was in RI at that moment, the band was waiting
> for some gear to show up. I'm in the room, watching the madness/fun.
>
> FZ has a local slag on his knee, and a bottle of JWBlack on his lips, and
> someone comes in, saying the crowd is pissed. FZ goes onstage and does
> a neat n swifty drum solo, helped by the KB player. I go down, see them
> doing it, and go back upstairs (at least 4 flights). In the mean time, some
> local HS 'writer' and his lady show up. Guy is dressed like a science
> nerd, pencil protector, tape on glasses, shorted pants, white sox, n
> loafers. He did it too well to NOT be a uniform, and a prank. Lady
> is dressed in red n white cheer leader outfit, pom pons and FAR too
> much red lipstick placed FAR too comical. Cute ass. TALL legs.
>
> BOTH are pissed FZ isn't around to be interviewed.
>
> Mark (Flo) says something like: "wanta interview this..?"
>
> Drops his pants, then his shorts, and while I'm not an expert,
> Flo was hung like a horse. The chick screams. Runs out the
> door, down the stairs, and outside. Nerd just says something
> then calls her name, and runs out after her. Flo pulls dem up.
>
> A week later, I'm told by the door guy at the place she was found
> hours later in almost complete shock, in a door way 2 blocks away.
>
> MANY years later, Flo n Eddie are backing up Alice Cooper in his
> Bil/$/Baby tour in Ma., I corner Mark, and ask him about it. He
> remembers it, and we both laughed for a few mins over it. Just a
> few months ago, I call him (his PH# is listed on the net, and he
> answers the phone) and mention it. He says: "Those were them days"

Do you remember whether the band included George Duke and Jeff Simmons
or Don Preston and Jim Pons?

Anyway, I do have one entry for the Flo & Eddie era, namely 10/15/71 at
Loew's State Theater aka Dario Palace Theater. That would have been with
Don and Jim. Does that sound right?

> >I'd like to add an entry to the giglist. I don't have anything in
> >Worcester until 1984.
>
> It was a Flo n Eddie era show, I'm sorry I can't remember the year,
> but SOMEONE must remember the "com-part-ment" routine from
> that day. FZ spent over 45 mins explaining to the crowd, and then
> teaching them the hand signals. Clark U, in the entrance, they
> pushed all the seats aside, and J Geils Band opened. FZ(et all)
> were delayed in Boston so long, the JG Band did at least 3 sets of
> the live Full House show. till the band showed up. I lifted at
> least 10 of those blue/white ARB cabs helping to get the show on.

Again: George and Jeff or Don and Jim?

I know I've heard "com-part-ment" (the funny pronunciation of that word,
not the 45-minute explanation) in some show or other, so if I can find
it, that should indicate the general time period.

> ..got the hernias to prove it..
>
> >Like Milhouse, I don't think Marty Perellis worked for FZ until after
> >Flo & Eddie. There's some show where FZ talks about Marty the new road
> >manager and the old road manager with the tambourine in his briefcase.
> >July 1974? 7/17/74 Phoenix?
>
> More I think about it, it had to be after Flo n Eddie and just pre-Roxy.

Roxy & Elsewhere was released in September 1974, so that fits.

Does anyone remember in which shows a) F&E say com-part-ment and b) FZ
talks about Marty in the garment business and the old road manager with
the tambourine in his briefcase?

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Aug 15, 2009, 9:13:31 AM8/15/09
On Aug 14, 9:42 pm, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Does anyone remember in which shows a) F&E say com-part-ment and b) FZ
> talks about Marty in the garment business and the old road manager with
> the tambourine in his briefcase?

"b" is 7/17/74 as you suggest earlier in the thread.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Charles Ulrich

Aug 15, 2009, 2:24:20 PM8/15/09
In article
<004e1d38-0e51-4e43...@c1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks. I hadn't had a chance to check yet.

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

Aug 15, 2009, 2:41:04 PM8/15/09
Marty Perellis was on the first 1974 tour. He was interviewed in the
Milwaukee Bugle American (5/2-8/74). That interview was conducted during
the second 1974 tour, but Coy Featherston mentions Marty hiring him
after the Austin gig "three months ago"--actually March 4, 1974.

--Charles

Milhouse G

Aug 15, 2009, 6:39:18 PM8/15/09

At some show or another on the spring/summer 1973 tour, FZ makes an
announcement regarding a lost briefcase with the inscription "M.J.
Perellis", then announces later that Marty managed to find it somewhere.
I just spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out which of the 11 shows
from that tour that I've listened to in the last few weeks that it
happened in, but haven't managed to locate it. At any rate, I'm guessing
that was Marty's first tour with the Mothers.

(I'm thinking the show I heard this in was before the Australian dates,
and if that's correct, I can narrow it down to 4 shows if anyone wants
to find it themselves. It may be in any of the following: 3/2 Tampa, 3/7
Columbus, 4/27 Princeton or 5/6 Pittsburgh.)

--
Milhouse

Charles Ulrich

Aug 16, 2009, 6:05:56 PM8/16/09
In article
<ulrich-50B55E....@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

Not really, since you were talking about the Roxy performance date, not
the release date. But it's still okay, since it seems that Marty
Perellis was working for FZ in 1973.

I list the following gigs in Massachusetts in 1973:

5/8/73 Music Hall, Boston
11/7/73 Orpheum, Boston
11/30/73 Lowell Technical Institute, Lowell
12/2/73 Southeastern Massachusetts University, North Dartmouth

Happy birthday!

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Aug 17, 2009, 9:41:51 AM8/17/09
On Aug 15, 5:39 pm, Milhouse G <milhouse_on_a_st...@derekmarvelli.org>
wrote:

> At some show or another on the spring/summer 1973 tour, FZ makes an
> announcement regarding a lost briefcase with the inscription "M.J.
> Perellis", then announces later that Marty managed to find it somewhere.

5/1/73

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

T. F. Eccles

Aug 17, 2009, 6:59:54 PM8/17/09

>> Roxy & Elsewhere was released in September 1974, so that fits.

>Not really, since you were talking about the Roxy performance date, not
>the release date. But it's still okay, since it seems that Marty
>Perellis was working for FZ in 1973.

>I list the following gigs in Massachusetts in 1973:

>5/8/73 Music Hall, Boston
>11/7/73 Orpheum, Boston

Went to these ones, but seem to think, IMMSMW,it was the
Orpheum I sold him the amp. It was the Orpheum, and
before Roxy release. I was '73 would seem right.

I flipped when the LP came out, must of helped sell GMT
<now GK> amps, but I don't remember any ads w/FZ. Great
company, those GMT amps were solid and sounded great.

GK today is still a class act company.

Sorry, I just didn't take many photos, or keep track.

>Happy birthday!

Thank you. 54 this year last Sunday.

JJTj

Seems I forgot the next verse..
oh well, I guess it pays to rehearse..
the lyric sheet's so hard to find..
what are the words, oh nevermind...

Weird Al

Charles Ulrich

Nov 4, 2009, 4:03:08 PM11/4/09

> > >I'd like to add an entry to the giglist. I don't have anything in
> > >Worcester until 1984.
> >
> > It was a Flo n Eddie era show, I'm sorry I can't remember the year,
> > but SOMEONE must remember the "com-part-ment" routine from
> > that day. FZ spent over 45 mins explaining to the crowd, and then
> > teaching them the hand signals. Clark U, in the entrance, they
> > pushed all the seats aside, and J Geils Band opened. FZ(et all)
> > were delayed in Boston so long, the JG Band did at least 3 sets of
> > the live Full House show. till the band showed up. I lifted at
> > least 10 of those blue/white ARB cabs helping to get the show on.
>
> Again: George and Jeff or Don and Jim?
>
> I know I've heard "com-part-ment" (the funny pronunciation of that word,
> not the 45-minute explanation) in some show or other, so if I can find
> it, that should indicate the general time period.

12/15/70 Paris. At the end of the improvisations before The Air. It's in
the video, but not on Disconnected Synapses. Just one utterance of
"com-paht-ment". No 45-minute routine.

So the original incident must have been in 1970, not 1971. (And thus
with George Duke and Jeff Simmons.)

I list only two shows in Boston in 1970--at the Boston Tea Party on
October 18. So the Worcester show was probably on October 19, 1970, or
possibly October 20, if they had a day off in Boston.

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

Nov 9, 2009, 1:56:52 AM11/9/09
In article
<ulrich-EF1264....@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> In article
> <ulrich-50B55E....@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
> Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>
> > I know I've heard "com-part-ment" (the funny pronunciation of that word,
> > not the 45-minute explanation) in some show or other, so if I can find
> > it, that should indicate the general time period.
>
> 12/15/70 Paris. At the end of the improvisations before The Air. It's in
> the video, but not on Disconnected Synapses. Just one utterance of
> "com-paht-ment". No 45-minute routine.

It was also incorporated into Call Any Vegetable, 12/6/70 (late)
Amsterdam.

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

Jan 5, 2011, 11:23:03 PM1/5/11
In article
<ulrich-B666DF....@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

And into Call Any Vegetable, 12/2/70 Copenhagen.

Just in case anyone else cares...

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

May 29, 2015, 11:22:27 PM5/29/15
T. F. Eccles <t...@tfe.con> wrote:

> It was a Flo n Eddie era show, I'm sorry I can't remember the year,
> but SOMEONE must remember the "com-part-ment" routine from
> that day. FZ spent over 45 mins explaining to the crowd, and then
> teaching them the hand signals. Clark U, in the entrance, they
> pushed all the seats aside, and J Geils Band opened.

Yes, someone else remembers it. From
<http://www.clarku.edu/blackbaud/pdfs/clark-magazine/Clark-Magazine-Fall-
2013.pdf>:

> Probably the most unforgettable Clark concert for me was one of the
> very first ones I attended, in the fall semester of 1970: The Mothers
> of Invention in the basement of Jonas Clark Hall (aka "The Women's
> Gym"), with the J. Geils Band as the opening act. I'd never heard of
> the J. Geils Band before that, and I remember they announced at the
> show that their first album had just been released, or maybe it was
> that it was just about to be released. In any case, I was blown away
> by them. The venue might have been a dark, musty old basement broken
> up by a maze of support columns, but they played with the same
> intensity that they did in subsequent years at major concert venues:
> pedal-to-the-metal, giving it everything they had. I became an
> instant fan. As for The Mothers, this was my first exposure to Frank
> Zappa and company, and although I think the band that he was to put
> together in another three years or so was superior to this one, they
> were still very good. I remember Flo and Eddie -- the lead singers,
> formerly of the Turtles -- getting into a routine where they were
> making fun of the accents of the Boston-based flight attendants
> (guess they were actually "stewardesses" back then) on a flight into
> Boston: "Please place your bags in the overhead comPAHHHHHTments."
> Greg Becker '75

--Charles