That's Not Really Mexican Radio

Charles Ulrich

Apr 19, 2007, 1:21:07 AM4/19/07
Way back in 1996, right here on affz, the following exchange took place:

Dave Lane:

> I could swear that in one of the Guitar tracks (I can't
> remember which), the bass part sounds just like that early
> 80's song "mexican radio".
>
>      --Dave

Charles Ulrich:

> The track to which you are referring is "That's Not Really Reggae".
> "Mexican Radio" was recorded by Wall of Voodoo.
>
> --Charles

Mike Keneally:

> Interesting to note at this juncture that Thunes did a bunch of shows
> with Wall of Voodoo in the late eighties (I actually guested at the
> last-ever WoV performance) and we both recorded with Andy Prieboy,
> who was the group's frontman for their last several years.  Although
> Scott hadn't yet worked with WoV when "That's Not Really Reggae" was
> recorded, it's not out of the question that he was paying tribute to
> them with the bassline there.
>
> Keneally

It came up again in 1999, when I was the one who didn't remember which
track it was, and Dave replied, quoting the earlier thread.

Anyway, the other day I asked Scott Thunes himself. He replied:

> Nope. No connection to Mexican Radio. I mean, I heard it at least ten
> million times as a youth, so a court of law might nail me for prior
> knowledge or something, but like any art, one assimilates as one
> must.
>
> BUT, that reggae-ism is totally a spur-of-the-momentness that I
> spontaneously created extemporaneously all by myself out of pure
> necessity to stem the possibility of boredom on the off-chance that
> somebody might be listening somewhere along the line, ten or so years
> (20? Fuck!) down the line, religiously, with much desire for deeper
> meanings.
>
> My 'reggae' bass-line was, back in 1981-82, an octave-affair, but as
> things moved on, I picked, oh, say, the fifth, then, when I was
> feeling randy, the third. What you are hearing is my 'Reggae
> Improvisations on the Theme of the Third', or something.

So there you have it. It's not going in the book, but I thought I should
put it on record here where the suggestion was first made.

--Charles

dave

Apr 19, 2007, 10:06:25 AM4/19/07
On Apr 19, 1:21 am, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> Way back in 1996, right here on affz, the following exchange took place:
>
> Dave Lane:
>
> > I could swear that in one of the Guitar tracks (I can't
> > remember which), the bass part sounds just like that early
> > 80's song "mexican radio".
> Anyway, the other day I asked Scott Thunes himself. He replied:

> > Nope. [...]

> So there you have it. It's not going in the book, but I thought I should
> put it on record here where the suggestion was first made.

Bullshit! I demand that an entire chapter be devoted to it!

What book?

--Dave

Strictly Commercial

Apr 19, 2007, 11:39:28 AM4/19/07
dave wrote:
> Bullshit! I demand that an entire chapter be devoted to it!
>
> What book?

Charles will explain everything. 2008?

Seriously --- Charles has been hard at work on a book about FZ's music.
When he's finished, it will contain chapters discussing each of the 70+
releases. As you can imagine, this will be a tasty, LARGE sucker. An
announcement will appear here in due course, offering a *SPECIAL DEAL*
to the AFFZ gang.

Rolf

Les Cargill

Apr 19, 2007, 7:15:23 PM4/19/07
Strictly Commercial wrote:

*KEWL*!!!!

Thank you mask man.

--
Les Cargill

Bill

Apr 19, 2007, 7:51:26 PM4/19/07
In article <Q2MVh.8232$VF5.5074@edtnps82>,
Strictly Commercial <maure...@telus.net> wrote:

Charles,

Let me know if you would like details on upcoming releases of volumes
4-6 of It Came from the Basement and Nuggets from the Vault.

Bill (not Lantz)

Charles Ulrich

Apr 19, 2007, 8:26:58 PM4/19/07
In article <spamblock-F9028...@news.verizon.net>,
Bill <spam...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Let me know if you would like details on upcoming releases of volumes
> 4-6 of It Came from the Basement and Nuggets from the Vault.

Thanks, but I'm busy enough keeping up with the releases from the ZFT.

--Charles