Amougies 69 and Pink Floyd

whatever

May 6, 2001, 1:24:41 AM5/6/01
Hi all!

This is a first post for me.

I am a Pink Floyd collector and I have been desperately seeking the
famous Amougies tape where Zappa and Floyd performed together. Does such a
tape exist or am I just running in circles here? A film called Music Power
was also made at the time (I can't believe I missed the screening in
Montreal last summer)... is that available in certain trading circles?

Thanks,

phil...@roios.org
http://www7.ewebcity.com/pinkfloyd/main.asp

Zoogz Rift - The Liquid Moamo

May 6, 2001, 1:49:16 AM5/6/01
>From: "whatever" phil...@roios.org
>Date: 5/5/01 10:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time

I still want to get ATOM HEART MOTHER on cd...

Patrick Neve

May 6, 2001, 4:25:36 AM5/6/01
to whatever
On Sun, 6 May 2001, whatever wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> This is a first post for me.
>
> I am a Pink Floyd collector and I have been desperately seeking the
> famous Amougies tape where Zappa and Floyd performed together. Does such a
> tape exist or am I just running in circles here? A film called Music Power
> was also made at the time (I can't believe I missed the screening in
> Montreal last summer)... is that available in certain trading circles?

The titles you describe are one and the same, yes they exist, and no I
don't have a copy. It's not in general circulation, if at all. If anyone
does have a vid of it then they're sitting on it. Here's some more info,
and a pic showing evidence to the contrary of Zappa's claim that he never
played with Floyd:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Music_Power.html

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/zappapage.html

Bossk (R)

May 6, 2001, 5:05:17 AM5/6/01
whatever <phil...@roios.org> wrote:

> I am a Pink Floyd collector and I have
> been desperately seeking the famous
> Amougies tape where Zappa and Floyd
> performed together. Does such a tape
> exist or am I just running in circles here?

Quite recently, such a tape has allegedly started to circulate a little in
Floyd circles, as a "rare trade only".

(I heard about this in Japan; but I don't know if the tape itself is in
Japan or where it is, or who has it exactly.)

--- Bossk (R) <wik...@mbox301.swipnet.se>

hans

May 6, 2001, 6:36:41 AM5/6/01
Looks like Zappa is in that picture twice, as a guitarist and drummer, had
to search for Pink Floyd photo's to convince myself the drummer is Nick
Mason.
Btw Patrick the picture is on page 80 of the mentioned book and taken by
Christian Rose.
The text about that festival on p. 79:

Rendu a sa solitude, Zappa se consacre a quelques vieux projects, prepare
ses films, travaille sa musique dans d'autres directions, fait du tourisme.
On le voit au festival d'Amougies, en octobre 1969, ou il se rend a titre
personnel, invite par Pieree Lattes. Il y fera le boef avec presque tous les
groupes du programme, en particulier le Pink Floyd, le Blossom Toes, Archie
Shepp et Aynsley Dunbar, en qui il decourvre un fabuleux batteur qu'il ne
tardera pas a embaucher. Il presente son ami Captain Beefheart, et maintient
tout au long de ces trois nuits, quel que soil le froid ou l'heure tardive,
une presence qui est un stimulant puissant pour tous les musiciens presents.

sorry, my french is not that good, so I hope someone who knows to,
translates this.

Funny thing is the only time I saw Pink Floyd live was on the same tour when
they played in Maastricht in the Netherlands, close to the belgium border. A
pity I didn't go to the festival in Amougies of which I knew then but not
that Zappa would host it.

Hanzo
----------
In artikel <Pine.GSO.3.96.101050...@darkwing.uoregon.edu>,

Misfits

May 6, 2001, 2:27:49 PM5/6/01
On Sun, 6 May 2001 01:25:36 -0700, Patrick Neve
<sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>. Here's some more info,
>and a pic showing evidence to the contrary of Zappa's claim that he never
>played with Floyd:
>
>http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Music_Power.html

Maybe you can explain how Zappa played percussion and guitar
simultaneously.

Then again, maybe not. Weirder things have happened in Eugene,
Oregon.

Patrick Boie

May 6, 2001, 1:39:45 PM5/6/01
i too am trying (in vain, apparently) to hunt down this recording.
(hi phil!) i also heard about it's existance from a japanese floyd
trader. (the same one?) any help in acquiring this would be generously
rewarded...

my spiffy pink floyd trading list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~patboie/collection.html

my not-so-spiffy-but-workin-on-it fz trading list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~patboie/fzlist.html

apparently the recording in question is an audience recording; and
there seem to be TWO... one recording by a zappa fan, and a complete
floyd set taped by a floyd fan. pieces of the floyd's set are fairly
common, but not the fz/pf jam on 'interstellar overdrive'.

ponder this neat little factoid: this was frank's first live
performance after recording 'hot rats'...

pb

Patrick Neve

May 6, 2001, 1:42:09 PM5/6/01
On Sun, 6 May 2001, Misfits wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2001 01:25:36 -0700, Patrick Neve
> <sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> >. Here's some more info,
> >and a pic showing evidence to the contrary of Zappa's claim that he never
> >played with Floyd:
> >
> >http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Music_Power.html
>
> Maybe you can explain how Zappa played percussion and guitar
> simultaneously.

Never for a second did it seem that this was anybody other than Floyd
drummer Nick Mason. I admit a slight similarity in the mustache, but
that's definitely the floyd drummer.

> Then again, maybe not. Weirder things have happened in Eugene,
> Oregon.

Well, that's true.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/zappapage.html

Charles Ulrich

May 6, 2001, 1:43:41 PM5/6/01
In article <cm8J6.3472$vR1....@nntpserver.swip.net>, "Bossk \(R\)"
<wik...@mbox301.swipnet.se> wrote:

There is a tape in circulation that is wrongly identified as being Pink
Floyd with FZ at Amougies. This tape consists of Interstellar Overdrive,
introduced as something they'd been playing since they were teenagers.
But it doesn't feature FZ and it's not from Amougies. I believe it's
actually from 5/1/70 Santa Monica.

I don't know if the item Johan refers to above is legitimate, or if it's
the same mislabeled tape resurfacing.

--Charles

Denis Griffin

May 6, 2001, 1:55:48 PM5/6/01
hans wrote:

> Looks like Zappa is in that picture twice, as a guitarist and drummer, had
> to search for Pink Floyd photo's to convince myself the drummer is Nick
> Mason.
> Btw Patrick the picture is on page 80 of the mentioned book and taken by
> Christian Rose.
> The text about that festival on p. 79:
>
> Rendu a sa solitude, Zappa se consacre a quelques vieux projects, prepare
> ses films, travaille sa musique dans d'autres directions, fait du tourisme.
> On le voit au festival d'Amougies, en octobre 1969, ou il se rend a titre
> personnel, invite par Pieree Lattes. Il y fera le boef avec presque tous les
> groupes du programme, en particulier le Pink Floyd, le Blossom Toes, Archie
> Shepp et Aynsley Dunbar, en qui il decourvre un fabuleux batteur qu'il ne
> tardera pas a embaucher. Il presente son ami Captain Beefheart, et maintient
> tout au long de ces trois nuits, quel que soil le froid ou l'heure tardive,
> une presence qui est un stimulant puissant pour tous les musiciens presents.
>
> sorry, my french is not that good, so I hope someone who knows to,
> translates this.

Ok, here we go:

Now on his own, Zappa takes time to work on some old projects and
movies. Does a bit of tourism. He is invited by Pierre Lattès to the
Amougies Festival. He plays with almost everybody, especially with Pink
Floyd, Blossom Toes, Archie Shepp and Aynsley Dunbar, a fabulous drummer
he will hire shortly thereafter. He introduces his friend Captain
Beefheart, and he maintains during the three nights, regardless of the
cold weather and late time, a presence that provides a powerful
stimulant to all the other musicians.

In the same book on page 177:

Filmographie

1969: Lors du festival d'Amougies, Jérôme Laperrousaz toune un film
documentaire, Music Power, dans lequel on voit Zappa jouer avec Archie
Shepp, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd...malheureusement retenu par des
raisons de droits

Filmography

1969: During the Amougies festival, Jérôme Laperrousaz made a
documentary movie, Music Power, in which Zappa can be seen playing with
Archie Shepp, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd...unfortunately never
released because of copyrights.

From: Frank Zappa et les Mothers of Invention, by Alain Dister

Milhouse Guidry

May 7, 2001, 9:27:04 AM5/7/01
Since we're on the topic of Pink Floyd, I will just mention that...
NP: Pathos "Fearless"
Yes, the song from Meddle. Wonderful, wonderful song. Though I've never heard
the original.

If anyone might be interested in hearing it, it's on the Pathos CD "Pax". More
information would be available at...
http://www.youthincrecords.com

--Milhouse
NP: Pathos "Fearless"

--Milhouse
NP: Pathos "Fearless"

Something For Nothing issue 51 out now
for your copy send 55 cents in postage to
SFN / 516 3rd St. NE / Massillon, Ohio 44646
And yes, I do write a column and music
reviews for it, since you asked...

Malcolm Wales

May 7, 2001, 12:03:30 PM5/7/01
Fearless is indeed a fantastic song...what are Pathos like and what style is
Fearless in? The Pink Floyd version would be hard to beat....

Mal.

NP: Anne's Song - Faith No More

"Milhouse Guidry" <milho...@aol.commieplot> wrote in message

Bossk (R)

May 7, 2001, 2:01:32 PM5/7/01
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> There is a tape in circulation that is wrongly
> identified as being Pink Floyd with FZ at
> Amougies. This tape consists of Interstellar
> Overdrive, introduced as something they'd
> been playing since they were teenagers.
> But it doesn't feature FZ and it's not from
> Amougies. I believe it's actually from 5/1/70
> Santa Monica.
>
> I don't know if the item Johan refers to above
> is legitimate, or if it's the same mislabeled
> tape resurfacing.

(I'm not talking about an "Interstellar Overdrive" only tape, but a more
complete set, alleged to have recently surfaced.)

--- Bossk (R) <wik...@mbox301.swipnet.se>

NINJA

May 9, 2001, 7:35:40 AM5/9/01
?On Sun, 6 May 2001, Misfits wrote:
?
?> On Sun, 6 May 2001 01:25:36 -0700, Patrick Neve
?> <sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
?>
?> >. Here's some more info,
?> >and a pic showing evidence to the contrary of Zappa's claim that he never
?> >played with Floyd:
?> >
?> >http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Music_Power.html
?>
?> Maybe you can explain how Zappa played percussion and guitar
?> simultaneously.
?
?Never for a second did it seem that this was anybody other than Floyd
?drummer Nick Mason. I admit a slight similarity in the mustache, but
?that's definitely the floyd drummer.
?
?> Then again, maybe not. Weirder things have happened in Eugene,
?> Oregon.
?
?Well, that's true.
?
?*************************************************
?http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/zappapage.html

dude still waiting on those cds ?

Patrick Neve

May 9, 2001, 12:02:25 PM5/9/01
On Wed, 9 May 2001, NINJA wrote:
> dude still waiting on those cds ?

I know, I'm sorry Ninja.. I duped them, listened to a few minutes of the
dupe and thought I heard a couple of small clicks I didn't remember
hearing on the masters. Lately I've been so busy trying to put together
other things (a Tom Petty concert, pro wrestling match, etc.) that I
haven't been able to A/B them for quality. Beginning of next week I'll
compare them for errors, and either mail it or redupe it. Sorry for the
delay.

Lookin' forward to the '76 halloween run,
-patrick